Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

?
You're not my dad

e: oh it's about music dlc isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, that's music dlc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oh poo poo, they did it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

oh poo poo, they did it

:five:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jay Rust posted:

oh poo poo, they did it

This is amazing, as is the other QoL change making parliaments with lots of seats easier to manage.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

cool fun bug is that fleets sent home to repair won't recombine. and troops that used to automatically merge won't anymore if the main army is on a mission like automatically hunting rebels.

but that new favor screen is a great QoL upgrade

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Espionage 1st idea making it so you can fabricate claims on entire states is amazing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does the trust screen need the big YES bar though?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

Espionage 1st idea making it so you can fabricate claims on entire states is amazing.
:vince:

Actual reasons to not take Diplomacy as my first diplomatic idea set 98.5% of the time now!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

If you also have access to Divine ideas Esp + Div policy now makes cannons count as double for siege purposes which is amazing. (in addition to +10% siege modifier)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

If you also have access to Divine ideas Esp + Div policy now makes cannons count as double for siege purposes which is amazing. (in addition to +10% siege modifier)

Even before the patch a Divine + Espionage game was on my to-do list

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

CommonShore posted:

Even before the patch a Divine + Espionage game was on my to-do list

Same here, it just made it 100% now lmao

Took Infrastructure 3rd and it's got some fun stuff like -100% expand admin as a finisher so your first expand admin is 1, 2nd is 4, etc. There's also a 10% move speed buff in there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

Same here, it just made it 100% now lmao

Took Infrastructure 3rd and it's got some fun stuff like -100% expand admin as a finisher so your first expand admin is 1, 2nd is 4, etc. There's also a 10% move speed buff in there.

Which nation are you doing it with? My plan was to do it with the Teutonic Horde and see if I could somehow pick up Divine, Aristocratic, and Horde ideas through the tag changes, and then just run around with huge stacks of cav and cannons. I had some abysmally bad RNG through my few start attempts for Teutonic Horde though and got totally alliance blocked in every direction.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

My first game after a new patch is always The Pope since it's my fav country.

It's going well.

Another great QOL thing this patch is there's an alert for when you can join a coalition.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

It's going well.

Another great QOL thing this patch is there's an alert for when you can join a coalition.

Hah cool. I've never actualy played as Pope. My best runs have been starting as France, Scotland, Commonwealth, Sweden, Ottomans, Muscovy, Novgorod, and Timurids. I had some good learning ones with Florence and Naples too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Heavy's are bugged lol. They lose to light ships and cogs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol explains a lot

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Detheros posted:

It's going well.

Am I doing it wrong, when I always scuttle my forts except for the capital and maybe a critical chokepoint, if it's on good terrain?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Hah cool. I've never actualy played as Pope. My best runs have been starting as France, Scotland, Commonwealth, Sweden, Ottomans, Muscovy, Novgorod, and Timurids. I had some good learning ones with Florence and Naples too.

Well sure if you pick Superman everytime.

For real though, Papal States are fun because like a lot of European powers you have options.

Recently, I've been trying to do Ethiopia runs and I managed to do ok in one run where I got through Central Africa had some of the gulf of aden but could never get past the Mamaluks. Once because I tried attacking when the Ottomans attacked and they decided to focus on me instead and the only other time was when the timurds had a war with them but I was in regency and couldn't take advantage. Then it go to be 1660 and Morroco allied them and controlled most of Western Africa.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Once because I tried attacking when the Ottomans attacked and they decided to focus on me instead
Yeah... That's completely on track for this game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kild posted:

Heavy's are bugged lol. They lose to light ships and cogs

this just got fixed

#############################################################
######################## 1.35.1.0 ###########################
#############################################################

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# War & Peace
- Fixed naval damage calculations.

###################
# Script
###################

# Missions
- Fixed an error that prevented players from accessing base-game Jurchen missions while owning Mandate of Heaven.
- Fixed an error with Emperor of China missions requiring content that is only exclusive to Ming (Haijin mission, Single Whip National Idea).
- Fixed an error that prevented players from progressing down the Aragonese/Spanish mission tree if they owned Golden Century but lacked Rule Britannia.
- Removed duplicate requirement from Emperor of China missions that asked for 95 Mandate twice.

# Setup
- Increased to 40 from 25 the maximum number of owned provinces that France can have to be eligible for integration via the Parliament Act to Form the Angevin realm.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Fixed CTD caused by disabling alerts which do not exist in the game.
- Fixed AI asking other AI for a 0 Trust for 0 Favors.
- Fixed so the game doesn't switch away from the main theme in the main menu.
- Fixed CTD caused by revoking a seat when a parliament debate is ongoing.
- Fixed crashes related to mods modifying the music player.
- Fixed crash in faction view due to listbox not existing.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Am I doing it wrong, when I always scuttle my forts except for the capital and maybe a critical chokepoint, if it's on good terrain?

No, you're doing the correct thing because forts are expensive. Doesn't matter if you are playing in Italy though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

money is infinite past the 1550s anyway

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

THE BAR posted:

When you're small sure, when you get bigger they don't cost much and the army tradition is good.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Not sure if there's other ways to do this, but apparently if you claim the mandate of heaven as Japan and then resolve the Ikko-Ikki incident in favour of the monks, you can transition to a republic and keep the Mandate of Heaven.

It's buggy, you are fixed to a meritocracy of 0. Seems like an oversight with the mission tree vs Shinto incidents.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Firebatgyro posted:

No, you're doing the correct thing because forts are expensive. Doesn't matter if you are playing in Italy though

uPen posted:

When you're small sure, when you get bigger they don't cost much and the army tradition is good.

It's mostly that it's free warscore for the AI, and I can't be bothered retaking my own stuff after the AI lucks out on yet another siege.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Personally i find the risk of forts falling much preferable to the AI carpet siegeing my prosperous lands

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I can't be assed to remove forts when I get big unless I need room for a manufactory tbh

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Firebatgyro posted:

forts are like 1 ducat per month at lvl 2 what on earth are you talking about. when budget is an issue you should prioritize forts thusly:
1) on the negative diceroll to attacker terrain provinces
2) to project a ZOC into a choke point
3) to project ZOCs across every province you own to preserve prosperity
4) 1 fort for every 10 points of dev to maximize yearly army tradition

forts are a god send, use them unless you enjoy playing Benny Hill with AI carpet siegers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you’re exceptionally broke assed—as in, you can’t make money while both having forts and building to force limit—then building to force limit is better option.

However the reason why it’s better is because you can use your army to go out and get more money and provinces to not be broke assed anymore and stop having to choose one and only one of attack and defense.

Bigger issue for fort construction sprees is that they cost more than most builds and don’t increase income directly, unlike other expensive builds. But not constantly getting your provinces conquered/devastated increases income in its own way. And if you control all of Italy it’s a total moot point since you probably got a load of forts “free with conquest” anyway and you can also probably put a top level fort in every province you own without significantly denting your income.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

A ducat a month can be a lot for a minor in 1444

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Grinch posted:

forts are like 1 ducat per month at lvl 2 what on earth are you talking about. when budget is an issue you should prioritize forts thusly:
1) on the negative diceroll to attacker terrain provinces
2) to project a ZOC into a choke point
3) to project ZOCs across every province you own to preserve prosperity
4) 1 fort for every 10 points of dev to maximize yearly army tradition

forts are a god send, use them unless you enjoy playing Benny Hill with AI carpet siegers

Don't you need to keep them up to date for the army tradition?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Started a Korea campaign and Ming collapsed pretty much immediately. They had 0 mandate 20 years into the game (maybe even sooner, i wasn't checking), and by 30 years into the game they had already lost to several separatist rebels. This is the fastest I've ever seen this happen.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does it matter if the protestant centers of reformation are all bunched together?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Staltran posted:

That and that lvl 2 fort really dont do poo poo in 1650.

e: You still get defender bonus but blink and it's probably already captured.

Jay Rust posted:

Does it matter if the protestant centers of reformation are all bunched together?

Not really just the spread will be slower probably.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Staltran posted:

yea but at the stage of the game that your forts are lvl 4/6/etc your economy ought to have scaled to the point that you can afford to have them. I usually never have more than 20 of them in total anyway because the ZOCs start overlapping which makes them redundant

Edit: past a certain point you wont reliably be able to keep the maximum amount of yearly army trad from forts, and probably wont need to because of other sources.
if you just unlocked lvl 8 forts you probably have a couple thousand development and probably dont want or need 20 +forts when you could just rely on +yearly army trad from the nobles privilege/aristocratic/quality/being at war frequently etc

Wafflecopper posted:

A ducat a month can be a lot for a minor in 1444

at which point you would probably not have more than 1 or 2? even just punching your OPM neighbors for 25 ducats will fund your fort maintenance for years

money is so easy to get in this game, and the bonuses conferred by having forts is just so beneficial its hardly worth arguing.

Forts are good, use them

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 21, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it is definitely worth microing your forts for the first hundred years of the game at least. the cash adds up quick and if you're in a rebuilding period between wars you can usually get away with turning off everything but border forts. once you're fielding above 100k guys leaving your forts on is a less meaningful expense and maintains your army tradition

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hosed up. I miscounted. What are my options

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I forget, can you force them to cede a province in a war?

Alternatively, you make some claims on them and then hope for the random event that demands they transfer the claimed province to you. It's not too uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Are you playing Ironman? If not, console that poo poo.