Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I liked what my old LGS did, they had bulk bundles of like 500 cards for 10 bucks. mostly commons and uncommons, lands, and absolute trash rares, but they also included beat up stuff they couldn't/didn't want to sell normally so you might get lucky like I did and get an absolutely beat-to-poo poo Revised Fork from one of them. you weren't going to get much of value, but dude, as a kid with not much but allowance to spend on cards, that poo poo was AMAZING for building a collection quickly. I dunno why more stores don't do that, I've been to a few LGSes and haven't seen anything like that. they also had bundles of JUST crap rares for 15 bucks, shrinkwrapped in an old starter deck box, so about 60 rares. helped me build a big enough trade folder that I was able to make some pretty stupid trades back then, like 400 rares for actually good cards(iirc it was stuff like Force of Will, Gaea's Cradle, etc, back when those were merely 10-30 dollars rather than...yeah)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Aftermath leaks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u200T6m3VvM

https://imgur.com/a/ZAW9byH (some of the cards have their P/Ts cut off because getting the first post on Reddit makes you very cool)

Contains confirmation that a bunch of planeswalkers have been desparked, but interplanar travel is still possible for them

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Aftermath leaks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u200T6m3VvM

https://imgur.com/a/ZAW9byH (some of the cards have their P/Ts cut off because getting the first post on Reddit makes you very cool)

Contains confirmation that a bunch of planeswalkers have been desparked, but interplanar travel is still possible for them

Curious to know what Metropolis Reformer’s power/toughness is—assuming its text is “when cardname is dealt damage, you gain that much life,” looks like it could find space in pioneer/explorer or historic angels. Unless it’s a 2/2 or something.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

iT'S 2/3

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
assuming a bunch of planeswalkers are going to willingly despark to purge the oil from their plane ala mending?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah it does look that way.

I'm baffled that Samut and Kiora were never in MOM at all if they're gonna be in Aftermath. Obviously there may be some insanely good justification we don't know yet but it seems unlikely. Sarkhan did at least get one (1) flavour text, but Samut and Kiora haven't been mentioned recently. Samut never even left her home plane, but it is at least more likely she'd give up her spark than Kiora would.

This has nothing to do with that leak, but while I'm being goony, it would've been a perfect end for Nahiri to die trying to impose a distorted vision of what Zendikar 'should' be, but that didn't happen. Oh well, they'll keep glossing over her attempted omnicide of Innistrad, apparently

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ehh, maybe. Worth giving a whirl at least.

I missed Deification on first examination, that card looks extremely cool flavor-wise

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
shame, I thought more walkers would end up with alternate states like Tamiyo

yes Samut should become the Speed Force :colbert:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

This set makes no sense to me. If its a microset showing the aftermath theres so many cards that don't say anything really about the aftermath. Just like 'heres random dinosaur'.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is just a smattering of spoilers. Do have to eat my hat that I thought during spoiler season for MOM the invasion bit was rushed and wouldn't come through, but the flavor really does hit when you play the whole thing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not sure where it goes or if it's good, but that 1UU mass bounce spell is really cool.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

This set makes no sense to me. If its a microset showing the aftermath theres so many cards that don't say anything really about the aftermath. Just like 'heres random dinosaur'.

it's a bunch of leaks, including treatments that probably don't have the flavortext or the art from the base cards. there's also going to be another round of stories early may before aftermath drops that will help flesh out what's being represented on the cards

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

Kenrith is an absolute bomb in a draft format. Every turn he squats on the board is a turn he converts your spare mana into value and he is absolutely going to take over the game immediately if you can't get him off the board. Even in the 'worst' case scenario where you're running him in a two color deck strictly he basically pushes his player out of death range incredibly fast while doing whatever the other color you have access does (Green being the least impactful while still improving your board, the other three colors threatening to immediately change the momentum of the game in different ways if you get to untap with him) and god forbid you're running a deck with Any Color fixing with him as your top piece.

And after all that he's still a 5/5 beater for 5 who attacks and blocks pretty well, though only the Green ability does anything to protect him.

Lurrus is cool and his ability is free, which is something to keep in mind, but it's way less powerful then the sheer amount of value Kenrith can start gathering without constructed-level one and two drops.

I was playing on Arena yesterday and a guy played him, popped R for haste, and immediately got him chumped by my side of the board and I was very confused

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

It's almost the entire microset here, minus like 10 or so I think cards?

And yeah, it doesn't really say a great deal... but! Here's the fun thing! If I put my tinfoil hat on, I can say that, well, now the floodgates are open for them to do more microsets! They'll get it right next time! This is, bear in mind, more product that they can sell at honked up prices for the collector boosters, that they don't have to design with limited in mind. They can put crazy commander plant cards that would mess up a regular set in these too. This one doesn't really work very well in the context of "Extra set to finish the big cool story" but works suuuuper well in the context of "There's gonna be one of these for every set, they're only a bit story related, here's this one".

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fadam posted:

I'm not sure where it goes or if it's good, but that 1UU mass bounce spell is really cool.

In the sideboard if superfriends becomes a real thing. I guess you can also use it to recast your battles?

I read Deification and went hell yeah immortal Wandering Emperors but apparently she doesn't have a subtype? I guess Teferi is a solid choice given that he has like 4 cards in Standard?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This has nothing to do with that leak, but while I'm being goony, it would've been a perfect end for Nahiri to die trying to impose a distorted vision of what Zendikar 'should' be, but that didn't happen. Oh well, they'll keep glossing over her attempted omnicide of Innistrad, apparently[/spoiler]

Boohoo for the vampire planet. If you're going to give her grief for her actions on Innistrad, which are deeply unfortunate but understandable in context, then Sorin and Ugin deserve just as much of this omnicide baggage. Fuckin 3 stooges toying with poo poo they aren't responsible enough to handle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

Boohoo for the vampire planet. If you're going to give her grief for her actions on Innistrad, which are deeply unfortunate but understandable in context, then Sorin and Ugin deserve just as much of this omnicide baggage. Fuckin 3 stooges toying with poo poo they aren't responsible enough to handle.

the..... the planar genocide defender has logged on?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look, Nahiri really needs that printer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm just saying if you don't want your plane destroyed maybe don't go yanking cosmic forces into to janky rock jail and then get bored of maintaining jail and then send one of the jailers to hell for a brief eternity because you got embarrassed in your dipshit court of vampires, and maybe don't start a cosmic threat job if you know you're going to have your hands full obsessed with cosmic dragon brother roughhousing.

Ugin, Nahiri, Jace (the shemp of the group) Sorin should all be desparked and exiled.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Aftermath a collector booster only set or something? Are they introducing eternal-legal cards in some wildly limited run?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Judgy Fucker posted:

I missed Deification on first examination, that card looks extremely cool flavor-wise

I was planning on putting Monastery Mentor into my Ichormoon Gauntlet superfriends deck and Deification seems like it will be a great addition on top of that lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is Aftermath a collector booster only set or something? Are they introducing eternal-legal cards in some wildly limited run?

It's maybe worse than collector boosters only? Guess we'll have to see the prices, but hard to imagine it not feeling gross at this point. I was mistaken that it was oops-all-rares, it's just no-commons. 1-3 rare in a pack, 2-4 uncommon, and 1-2 cards per pack will come damaged. 5 cards per booster and they'll probably cost noticeably more than a normal booster, with no limited gameplay accommodated officially.
https://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/march-of-the-machine-the-aftermath

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Khanstant posted:

I'm just saying if you don't want your plane destroyed maybe don't go yanking cosmic forces into to janky rock jail and then get bored of maintaining jail and then send one of the jailers to hell for a brief eternity because you got embarrassed in your dipshit court of vampires, and maybe don't start a cosmic threat job if you know you're going to have your hands full obsessed with cosmic dragon brother roughhousing.

Alright but how is that the fault of Joseph Greene the Stensian turnip farmer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That isn't a card. I checked, twice! If he was a card, he clearly did nothing to overthrow his vampire overlords (growing turnips instead of rice or garlic, okay buddy might as well wear a vampire-feeder sign) or to help whoever is Innistrad's Buffy.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I don't think it's a limited run. They have "Epilogue Boosters" and Collector Boosters. Epilogue Boosters have 5 cards and Collector boosters have 6.

They're constructed legal but there are no plans for a limited format. It's a lot like the Arena only Alchemy epilogue sets that have been being released. Small sets of 30 cards that weren't designed for limited (although they later put them in limited formats because people realized how scammy these sets were, and the limited formats with them in largely suck.)

I appreciate there aren't any double-sided cards so far at least.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I would be shocked if there are any because I can't imagine printing double sided sheets for three cards is economical

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

That isn't a card. I checked, twice! If he was a card, he clearly did nothing to overthrow his vampire overlords (growing turnips instead of rice or garlic, okay buddy might as well wear a vampire-feeder sign) or to help whoever is Innistrad's Buffy.

Thalia

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khanstant posted:

It's maybe worse than collector boosters only? Guess we'll have to see the prices, but hard to imagine it not feeling gross at this point. I was mistaken that it was oops-all-rares, it's just no-commons. 1-3 rare in a pack, 2-4 uncommon, and 1-2 cards per pack will come damaged. 5 cards per booster and they'll probably cost noticeably more than a normal booster, with no limited gameplay accommodated officially.
https://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/march-of-the-machine-the-aftermath

They cost less, but the cost per card us super high.

CE boosters are $19 for 6 cards
Bundles are $50 for 40 cards
Set Boxes are $80 for 120 cards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Khanstant posted:

If they hadn't gone into the Ulvenwald at night dressed like that, maybe the werewolves would have left them alone.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The desparked plansewalkers seem really weird to me. Sarkhan wasn't even in any of the MOM stories was he? Now he's just going to end up desparked. It seems a big change to just throw in after.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I like it. My guess is that it’s mostly a way to rotate in new walkers with new themes/mechanics without having to just nuke a bunch of characters.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

neaden posted:

The desparked plansewalkers seem really weird to me. Sarkhan wasn't even in any of the MOM stories was he? Now he's just going to end up desparked. It seems a big change to just throw in after.

Planeswalkers can't be your commander, but former planeswalkers can be.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

neaden posted:

i either said it in this thread or the other thread but it's likely part of the aftermath story we're confirmed to be getting will be directly about all that

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They cost less, but the cost per card us super high.

CE boosters are $19 for 6 cards
Bundles are $50 for 40 cards
Set Boxes are $80 for 120 cards.

Honestly, this is fine by me. I don't need any more piles of unplayable commons

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Guess it depends on what you do with cards. "Unplayable" commons are often cards I actually did play with, which is the best thing about any given card. I'm mostly seeing this as gameplayless packs of unplayable bulk rares and uncommons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thalia is a cop

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man this format is WAY better than ONE.....

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

I'm just saying if you don't want your plane destroyed
It's not his plane. He just lives there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Idk how true this is, but on the flip side you’ll get some early concessions after countering the first two spells.

Reporting back after playing for a bit.

This is definitely true. Get a good starting hand and refuse to let anything through for a couple of turns and people just scoop in frustration. It's great.

Meanwhile when the deck sucks, it sucks hard. You're fully dependent on interaction in the early game so if you flood out or are only drawing Djinns and Terrors or drawing the wrong counters, it's rough. And it also still has a real rough time dealing with red decks. I know if I see Bloodtithe Harvester or Kumano Faces Kakkazan I'm in for a miserable game in every case I've had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

It's not his plane. He just lives there.

Which makes all 3 of their actions even more egregious. The existence of planeswalkers at all is a huge menace to anyone living anywhere but pulling elder gods to be stuck in a jail requiring eternal maintenance is the kind of thing you need to call up a vote from everything living there.

The People versus Walkers might have been a better hook for multiverse set rather than Cyborg Demon Horde & the Rude Tree.