Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tehinternet posted:

What is the actual advantage of using tapes over literally anything else?

Seems like a massive pain in the bits

Very high capacity storage for stuff that people don't need lightning fast access to (though read speeds are pretty good, the issue is gonna be tape drive demand because seek times suck).

Yes it's a pain in the bits but it does fill a niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can put tapes in a fire proof safe and retrieve them 20 years later

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Every time some research assistant asks me for a quote on a Synology array, I'm like "oh god no, pay the $100 bucks a year to put it on central storage. I cannot support this!!"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tehinternet posted:

What is the actual advantage of using tapes over literally anything else?

Seems like a massive pain in the bits

There's a scale where it's the only thing that makes sense, but that scale changes as technology evolves, and gets increasingly niche. E:f,b

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

You can put tapes in a fire proof safe and retrieve them 20 years later

Yes, and then realize no drive capable of reading them still exists.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/politics/fbi-chinese-agents posted:

Disrupted Zoom meetings
In another case, federal prosecutors allege that an executive at a videoconferencing company conspired with others to disrupt a meeting on the platform commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre at the direction of the Chinese government.

Though the videoconferencing company was not named in court documents, CNN has previously reported the company is Zoom.

The executive, Xinjiang “Julien” Jin, was previously charged by the Justice Department for the alleged plot. The new complaint adds charges against nine additional individuals, including six Ministry of Public Security officers and two officials with the Cyberspace Administration of China.

According to the Justice Department, the executive, who is based in China, and his codefendants repeatedly sought in 2018 to interfere with video calls organized by a Chinese dissident living in New York City after a request from the Chinese government to do so. Jin also tried to identify any other account associated with that dissident and place them in a server with lagging response times, prosecutors say.

In 2019, Jin and his codefendants allegedly worked with the Chinese government to block accounts seeking to commemorate the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

How the hell is this the first I'm hearing of this? Am I living under a rock or is this being ignored? :psyduck:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

EoRaptor posted:

Yes, and then realize no drive capable of reading them still exists.
An LTO-1 tape produced in 2000 would have been readable by an IBM 3580-L33 LTO-3 drive that had vendor service and support until 2018

LTO-3 drives are nowadays lacking active vendor support, but are really not, 23 years after the introduction of LTO-1 media, difficult at all to come by today

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 20, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Unfortunately the somebody else's computer option is really the only one that makes sense these days, much as I enjoyed trying to get the tape drive on my family's ancient vic-20 to work as a kid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jfc what is going on with your gang tags

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anyone in that many gangs cannot be trusted and is a snitch and a goof

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

CLAM DOWN posted:

anyone in that many gangs cannot be trusted and is a snitch and a goof

I am the spiritual leader of cspam and its avatar on this earth, you fear my truth.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm manually upgrading around twenty 2012 R2 boxes to 2019 and then 2022. Inplace upgrades go go go.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

I'm manually upgrading around twenty 2012 R2 boxes to 2019 and then 2022. Inplace upgrades go go go.

We actually did a lot of those at my last org, and I don't recall having any issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

We actually did a lot of those at my last org, and I don't recall having any issues.

Right, I've done two so far. So far it's been fine. No DC's or SQL.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GreenNight posted:

Never done an inplace Windows Server upgrade in my life and I'm shocked to hear it works.

...................I would still never do it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Never done an inplace Windows Server upgrade in my life and I'm shocked to hear it works.

...................I would still never do it.

It's gotten a lot better. I did 2008 to 2012 to 2016 to 2022 before and that sucked.

2012 r2 to 2019 to 2022 has worked great so far. Of course I snapshot always.

I'm also upgrading 2019 to 2022 cause why not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This new job I have had for 5 months, I have to find stuff to work on. No one tells me to do anything or assigns me tickets or gives me projects.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GreenNight posted:

skipdogg posted:

GreenNight posted:

I had to do this to a few servers at my last job; like you said I snapped them and then upgraded. Never had any major issues. Mainly did it on things like file servers, print servers, some application servers.

Definitely not ideal, but when you got a deadline sometimes you do things you don't want to do :shrug:

GreenNight posted:

This new job I have had for 5 months, I have to find stuff to work on. No one tells me to do anything or assigns me tickets or gives me projects.

What's your position?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's your position?

Senior Systems Administrator.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this is why

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you're an adult now, congratulations

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Still aint at 6 figs.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm willing to swap jobs lmk

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The gently caress? thats a buck 50 territory

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Had a great brainstorm session today to come up with a roadmap/vision, just to have it end with a manager saying they already decided on what, how and when and the whole day was just to make the team feel involved.

Could’ve been a mail. They made us come to the office for this poo poo.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

Senior Systems Administrator.

I used to put Señor Systems Administrator in my email sig back in the day.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

skipdogg posted:

Microsoft says that every role but print servers, DC and CA are fine to do inplace upgrades on. We did a few inplace upgrades on our CA anyway and it didn't show any particular issue.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Did a print server from 2012 to 2019 to 2022 and it worked fine. Only 3 printers though.

SQL would scare me.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, Server In-Place upgrades are generally fine now.

Ironically, I nuked and paved my gaming PC's WIn10 to Win11 in-place upgrade last night, and it's a lot better now. So yea, in-place upgrade if you have to, but it's still good to start fresh when you can.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I used to put Señor Systems Administrator in my email sig back in the day.

Once you are at that level you no longer need to read the loving manuel

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mustache Ride posted:

The gently caress? thats a buck 50 territory

There's not a lot of a 150K senior sys admin jobs out there. YMMV where you live and what size org you work for. If you're in a HCOL area they may be more prevalent.

In my area the going rate is 90ish to probably 115 base or so for a normal job senior admin at a normal company. Modify appropriately for any sort of clearance, contract work, and other modifiers. Cloud titles or engineering titles pay a bit more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Going through my security clearance right now. Had interview with DoD in March.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I wish my boss would stop saying "not to be disrespectful" since it's kinda disrespectful in and of itself to constantly say that

I can forgive her tho because she sounds like she's dying and is one day away from a week off and clearly needs it badly

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Ironically, I nuked and paved my gaming PC's WIn10 to Win11 in-place upgrade last night, and it's a lot better now. So yea, in-place upgrade if you have to, but it's still good to start fresh when you can.

First person I’ve ever seen happy with win 11 for gaming

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Senior Sysadmin in Canada, $115k TrudeauBucks. $150ish after bonuses.

It's weird being a Senior title, people ask for my opinion on things and I'm like "Shouldn't we be asking an adult?"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I make $15 an hour. Greetings.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'm leaning towards doing this with my win10 install (upgraded from win7) when I am overhauling my gaming rig.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Sometimes being a total rear end in a top hat with 0 regard for people on other teams who are loving up completely is a good feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wibla posted:

I'm leaning towards doing this with my win10 install (upgraded from win7) when I am overhauling my gaming rig.

I never had a tpm to upgrade to 11.