Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-poland-eu-plan-buy-ukraine-ammunition-war/

Joined EU scheme to buy artillery shells for Ukraine delayed, as France insists on only buying from EU suppliers. Poland (rightly) arguing this will add unwanted delays to the deliveries.

Just gently caress off already France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EasilyConfused posted:

Have you read anything published since Chamberlain's diaries were released decades ago? They completely disproved the idea of Chamberlain just buying time, he genuinely thought he could avoid war.

The concept of the balance of power being worse for the West in 1938 was also discredited years ago. Williamson Murray (among many others) has good essays and books about it.

News to me, thanks.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I will grant Chamberlain one thing : hindsight is 20-20.

From our point of view it was clear stopping Hitler early was the best move, but the people at the time had first hand experience what great power politics, mutual alliances, and a willingness to use force could very easily lead to. In 1938, Chamberlain was hailed as a hero upon his return from Munich, because he managed to avoid war.

I just hope we're not making the same mistake as Chamberlain did, he for remembering WW1, us for fearing WW3.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Philonius posted:

I think any negotiated settlement with Russia is a fool's errand, but I could see an agreement where Russia fucks off out of Ukraine completely, and Ukraine formally cedes Crimea. That way there's no territorial dispute. I doubt Russia would agree to such terms unless Ukraine wins decisively on the battlefield, though.

Zelensky only adopted a hardline "Crimea is Ukraine" stance after the original negotiations broke down a year ago and showed a lot more flexibility on the issue before then, so I think this is pretty much the plan: recover whatever can be recovered militarily and get in some kind of position to at least threaten Crimea, then use Crimea's status as a bargaining chip at the peace table. Russia's not going to cede territory in exchange for recognizing their prior conquest of Crimea, but if Ukraine can start shelling the Kerch Bridge with impunity then a deal over Crimea's status would have some real teeth.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I do wonder just how capable Russia will be of rearming and readying for a round 3. They were already experiencing a trend towards demographic and economic decline before the war. This can only be worse now, given sanctions and the complete depletion of Russia's hardware stockpiles. Even if loving Macron trips over himself to welcome Putin back as a trading partner or the international community balks at rebuilding Ukraine, time doesn't seem on Russia's side.

Ukraine keeping up its self-defense will further undermine Putin's position, so they'd best keep at it, so long as they're willing.

Philonius posted:

I just hope we're not making the same mistake as Chamberlain did, he for remembering WW1, us for fearing WW3.
I do hope NATO countries are looking long and hard at exactly how capable Putin's nuclear force really is. The past year suggests it might not be everything it's cracked up to be and a localized, conventional intervention to crush the invader might not escalate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Philonius posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-poland-eu-plan-buy-ukraine-ammunition-war/

Joined EU scheme to buy artillery shells for Ukraine delayed, as France insists on only buying from EU suppliers. Poland (rightly) arguing this will add unwanted delays to the deliveries.

Just gently caress off already France.

So whats the angle? France suggesting they buy from Switzerland who tells the rest of Europe to gently caress themselves and then France throws up their hands and says "welp no more ammo"?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

So whats the angle? France suggesting they buy from Switzerland who tells the rest of Europe to gently caress themselves and then France throws up their hands and says "welp no more ammo"?

The angle is probably fat contracts for French defense contractors.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

I do hope NATO countries are looking long and hard at exactly how capable Putin's nuclear force really is. The past year suggests it might not be everything it's cracked up to be and a localized, conventional intervention to crush the invader might not escalate.

Not sure I want to trust the word 'might' there when the potential consequence is nuclear war.

The gloves definitely need to come off when it comes to arms supplies though - no messing around with donating a dozen tanks, delivery scheduled for Q3 24. Give Ukraine what it needs, give it now.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Philonius posted:

I will grant Chamberlain one thing : hindsight is 20-20.

From our point of view it was clear stopping Hitler early was the best move, but the people at the time had first hand experience what great power politics, mutual alliances, and a willingness to use force could very easily lead to. In 1938, Chamberlain was hailed as a hero upon his return from Munich, because he managed to avoid war.

Yep. The single biggest reason why he was wrong to delay was not something he could reasonably have expected: Who the gently caress would have though that Stalin was stupid enough to do M-R pact, and then sell Germany enough oil not just to maintain their war effort, but to also stockpile for the invasion of the Soviet Union?

After the Polish campaign, Germany only had ~3 months of usage of oil remaining (including production). If Germany would not have gotten supplies from the Soviets, it's questionable if they could have even taken France before literally running dry.

A war that starts in Munich ends in two to three years, in the total economic collapse of Germany.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

If my understanding is correct, WW1 started mainly because the nations in Europe had made a bunch of treaties and alliances with each other, so when a minor conflict did break out, everyone involved was basically pushed into (what they thought would be a short) war with varying motivation. I don't think Chamberlein expected Germany's leader, a veteran of WW1 at that, to be so irrational and to go out of his way to pursue that kind of carnage.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I keep hearing the counter offensive has begun. I posted about some proving attacks last week.

I hear about it again today in the zapo direction. A mrch to the sea of azov would spell a deathknell for the Russian supply lines to melitopol. Aswell as essentially giving Ukraine a massive sum of materials to be captured in melitopol.

Also keep hearing about the absolute dread and near begging for peace that Russia is doing due to the counter attack. Putin and the Reich know that the game is up if Ukraine can punch a hole in the front. The Russians can't do anything about it of the attacks are far enough from each other. They will have to abandon efforts at Bakhmut very quickly if they want to stabilize the front.

4/20 blazeot Ukraine let's see some big dabs on Russia 🤞

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I hear about it again today in the zapo direction.

Are you quoting somebody else or have you adopted this weird slavic phrasing?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I keep hearing the counter offensive has begun. I posted about some proving attacks last week.

I hear about it again today in the zapo direction. A mrch to the sea of azov would spell a deathknell for the Russian supply lines to melitopol. Aswell as essentially giving Ukraine a massive sum of materials to be captured in melitopol.

Also keep hearing about the absolute dread and near begging for peace that Russia is doing due to the counter attack. Putin and the Reich know that the game is up if Ukraine can punch a hole in the front. The Russians can't do anything about it of the attacks are far enough from each other. They will have to abandon efforts at Bakhmut very quickly if they want to stabilize the front.

4/20 blazeot Ukraine let's see some big dabs on Russia 🤞

I wonder if this southern counteroffensive is just a partial goal. It's similar to last year where everyone kept screaming WE'RE DOING A COUNTEROFFENSIVE IN KHERSON ANY DAY NOW for months, and then they hit Kharkiv oblast shortly after their Kherson offensive started.

Maybe they're trying to pull troops out of Luhansk or something. Or blitz to Murmansk.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I don’t understand why people think reclaiming Crimea is not achievable by Ukraine. I understand it might be difficult, but it seems like logistics connections could be cut (possibly via the upcoming offensive and another attack on the bridge), and I have trouble seeing how RuAF would support the defense of the peninsula via naval supply. It seems like there are some perceptions I’m not understanding, but I think to not think it’s possible after all that has happened in the last few years, seems odd.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Tuna-Fish posted:

Yep. The single biggest reason why he was wrong to delay was not something he could reasonably have expected: Who the gently caress would have though that Stalin was stupid enough to do M-R pact, and then sell Germany enough oil not just to maintain their war effort, but to also stockpile for the invasion of the Soviet Union?

After the Polish campaign, Germany only had ~3 months of usage of oil remaining (including production). If Germany would not have gotten supplies from the Soviets, it's questionable if they could have even taken France before literally running dry.

A war that starts in Munich ends in two to three years, in the total economic collapse of Germany.

I tend to agree. And on a final note - a different, earlier war would have been a different roll of the dice on the battlefield. The invasion of France tends to be seen as brilliant German tactical innovations decisively trouncing the outdated French army, but it should be realized that their little shortcut through the Ardennes was a very risky move. It could have easily gone very badly for Germany.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tiny Timbs posted:

Are you quoting somebody else or have you adopted this weird slavic phrasing?

That was accidental but gently caress I can't even say that sentence as I wrote it without sounding Slavic

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

I don’t understand why people think reclaiming Crimea is not achievable by Ukraine. I understand it might be difficult, but it seems like logistics connections could be cut (possibly via the upcoming offensive and another attack on the bridge), and I have trouble seeing how RuAF would support the defense of the peninsula via naval supply. It seems like there are some perceptions I’m not understanding, but I think to not think it’s possible after all that has happened in the last few years, seems odd.

Bad geography, very entrenched positions due to being under occupation for almost a decade, hostile population.

US analysts have already said multiple times that Ukraine has enough forces for one big offensive and preparing operation to take Crimea by force would take years of enduring war economy.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 20, 2023

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Bad geography, very entrenched positions due to being under occupation for almost a decade, hostile population.

US analysts have already said multiple times that Ukraine has enough forces for one big offensive and preparing operation to take Crimea by force would take years of enduring war economy.

I think it's the last part I don't buy, if Crimea is denied rail lines and is essentially 'under siege' for 6 months +, I don't know if these assumptions hold true. Will the russia-phile population stay through that? Will the Russian Navy risk bringing their ships closer to shore to support? Are the supply depots that much better dug in in Crimea that they are not hittable by drones? While there are dug in spots and tougher geography, I just don't think Crimea after 6-12 months of that type of situation is the same difficulty of problem as it would be right now. And yes, it might not be possible by Ukraine, to say that it is not possible reeks of saying that it's not possible for Ukraine to hold back the RuAF for a year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

US analysts said Kyiv would fall in 3 days.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Storkrasch posted:

I wonder if this southern counteroffensive is just a partial goal. It's similar to last year where everyone kept screaming WE'RE DOING A COUNTEROFFENSIVE IN KHERSON ANY DAY NOW for months, and then they hit Kharkiv oblast shortly after their Kherson offensive started.

Maybe they're trying to pull troops out of Luhansk or something. Or blitz to Murmansk.

All the southern activity is just a ploy to ensure Kaliningrad remains totally undefended

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

US analysts said Kyiv would fall in 3 days.

If you have a more credible read at hand, go on

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Crimea is going to suck because the approach to it is extremely narrow, Ukraine doesn't have a navy, and Russia has far, far more reason to defend it than the fake separatist republics.

Not saying they can't do it, but it'd be extremely hard short of Russian morale just flattening and everyone fleeing to the border.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deki posted:

Crimea is going to suck because the approach to it is extremely narrow, Ukraine doesn't have a navy, and Russia has far, far more reason to defend it than the fake separatist republics.

Not saying they can't do it, but it'd be extremely hard short of Russian morale just flattening and everyone fleeing to the border.

I seriously doubt Ukraine is going to have to invade Crimea. Once it is besieged, it's only a matter of time before the Russians abandon it voluntarily.

The isthmus works both ways. Russians aren't going to be able to attack readily out of Crimea, either. A fairly small force can plug the bottle while the rest of the Ukrainian forces focus on Donbass.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine doesn't have to take Crimea to make Crimea an untenable situation. Unlike Nazi Germany versus the USSR HIMARS are a thing. The entire island can have it's shipping traffic and bridge traffic reduced to zero. They cannot farm without the water taps being turned on in the mainland. It's a lovely island to defend without having black Sea dominance and vectors for reinforcements to come in.

If Crimea is completely blockaded then Russia can either let it's citizens starve or order a retreat. They aren't going to order a retreat.

In a hypothetical collapse of the Russian military, I could see Crimea being a bloodless surrender by local commanders wanting to get themselves and their families out without reprisal from Russia for "cowardice"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deki posted:

I doubt Russia's gonna suddenly HAVE forces to defend with if they lose mainland Ukraine. They took a lot of units out of Crimea and shifted them into the blood bath on the mainland.

Ukraine practically just has to cut off Crimea and it will fall.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I doubt Ukraine plans to "yolo" into Crimea or do a "leroy jenkins" type attack.

Ukraine retakes southern Ukraine, which is back to basically pre-current invasion borders.

Putin's successor make a deal for a 99 year lease on a warm-water port in exchange for russian forces leaving Crimea/Donbas etc.

Russia claims victory in securing warm water access for the next century.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/kirlant/status/1648748484055425033

dunno MoD, working out at the gym sounds better than Bakhmut

Ukraine's response:

https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1649095623730163714?s=20

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I would still count that as "territorial dispute" and, honestly, I feel extremely uneasy letting Ukraine into NATO under these circumstances. Nothing stops a newly elected revanchist Ukrainian government from reopening the issue at some point and trying to pull off a Falklands and then we are potentially in a direct standoff between nuclear armed power blocks. The Turkey/Greece/Cyprus situation is already a huge headache for NATO. I think most member states think the same way.

This is as unlikely as a Ukrainian invasion of Russian territory (I don't consider the Free Russian dudes that keep making raids into Belgorod to qualify for this, I mean an actual invasion like Russia did to Ukraine). For one, Ukraine's formal position is and has been that they will not cede territory, period. They have no changed from this and there is no reason to expect that they will. Ukraine won't stop fighting just because the West says to, or says to negotiate. Ceding Crimea to Russia is just rewarding them for the invasion and they'll be back. For there to be a lasting piece, Russia must get nothing but cargo 200s until they leave.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Minorkos posted:

If my understanding is correct, WW1 started mainly because the nations in Europe had made a bunch of treaties and alliances with each other, so when a minor conflict did break out, everyone involved was basically pushed into (what they thought would be a short) war with varying motivation.

Kinda, with the addendum that Europe also hosted too many great powers and wannabe great powers, who all wanted more resources, more land, the chance to settle old scores, reclaim lost territories etc. France and Russia both kinda wanted a war with Germany real bad due to poo poo the Prussians had done. The Germans wanted a war with Russia and France, and also wanted to get the kind of colonial holdings and prestige France, Great Britain etc had. Austria-Hungary wanted to stomp out Serbia once and for all.

The general line of thinking was (for various reasons, depending on which great power you asked) that this was the best time for war. In a decade or two our enemies would be stronger, they'd have completed army reforms, built more railroads, gained an even bigger advantage in manpower. So if there's to be a war, let it come now.

Pacts and a web of alliances definitely played a part, because they meant that once the Austro-Hungarians decided to go stomp on Serbia, Russia stepped in as the protector of slavs. When that happened, Germany was drawn in to fight them. Because France and Russia were allied, France was also drawn in. But they all wanted to fight each other anyway and just treated the situation as an excuse.

War was something European powers were used to, and they hadn't been THAT big a deal in the past, so the powers that be weren't that scared of having another dust-up. This time technology and the industrialisation of nations meant that it was going to be an extremely big deal, though. The fun thing is that if people had been paying attention, they 100% would have known, because the Russo-Japanese war (and other smaller conflicts) had already shown what modern technology would mean in a war, but the racists ignored it because it was just a bunch of backwards barbarians / lesser people from faraway countries. Isn't gonna happen to us, we're smart European powers. We can handle it.

Cue 19,7 million deaths.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Barbara Tuchman's book "The Guns of August", which basically introduces the the background for the war, and then starts from Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand's funeral to lay out step by step how the world slid to war, ultimately because even though a lot of people didn't want it, enough right people did.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 20, 2023

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Kinda, with the addendum that Europe also hosted too many great powers and wannabe great powers, who all wanted more resources, more land, the chance to settle old scores, reclaim lost territories etc. France and Russia both kinda wanted a war with Germany real bad due to poo poo the Prussians had done. The Germans wanted a war with Russia and France, and also wanted to get the kind of colonial holdings and prestige France, Great Britain etc had. Austria-Hungary wanted to stomp out Serbia once and for all.

The general line of thinking was (for various reasons, depending on which great power you asked) that this was the best time for war. In a decade or two our enemies would be stronger, they'd have completed army reforms, built more railroads, gained an even bigger advantage in manpower. So if there's to be a war, let it come now.

Pacts and a web of alliances definitely played a part, because they meant that once the Austro-Hungarians decided to go stomp on Serbia, Russia stepped in as the protector of slavs. When that happened, Germany was drawn in to fight them. Because France and Russia were allied, France was also drawn in. But they all wanted to fight each other anyway and just treated the situation as an excuse.

War was something European powers were used to, and they hadn't been THAT big a deal in the past, so the powers that be weren't that scared of having another dust-up. This time technology and the industrialisation of nations meant that it was going to be an extremely big deal, though. The fun thing is that if people had been paying attention, they 100% would have known, because the Russo-Japanese war (and other smaller conflicts) had already shown what modern technology would mean in a war, but the racists ignored it because it was just a bunch of backwards barbarians / lesser people from faraway countries. Isn't gonna happen to us, we're smart European powers. We can handle it.

Cue 19,7 million deaths.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Barbara Tuchman's book "The Guns of August", which basically introduces the the background for the war, and then starts from Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand's funeral to lay out step by step how the world slid to war, ultimately because even though a lot of people didn't want it, enough right people did.

I was about to make pretty much this exact post, right down to the Guns of August plug :v:

One thing I'll add is that mobilizing your armies at that time took about a month, and until your army was fully mobilized your military strength was severely reduced, so there was also this idea that if you waited to start mobilizing until war was unavoidable, you risked your enemy starting their mobilization a week or two earlier and getting the jump on you before you were ready. It's kinda similar to the game theory ideas about nuclear weapons during the cold war: you had to be ready to commit to a total war before ever confirming that your opponent was even attacking you, because otherwise you might lose the ability to even fight back.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
People called Russianes they go the house

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lord Harbor posted:

One thing I'll add is that mobilizing your armies at that time took about a month, and until your army was fully mobilized your military strength was severely reduced, so there was also this idea that if you waited to start mobilizing until war was unavoidable, you risked your enemy starting their mobilization a week or two earlier and getting the jump on you before you were ready.

Yes, that's a good addition and clarification.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

While The Guns of August is a great narrative work and a classic in a literary sense, by modern historiography it is not considered to be very accurate.

For example:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/03/guns-of-august-barbara-tuchman

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bad_fmr posted:

While The Guns of August is a great narrative work and a classic in a literary sense, by modern historiography it is not considered to be very accurate.

For example:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/03/guns-of-august-barbara-tuchman

A bit sad but not surprising, considering it is 60 years old. What would you recommend as a good modern equivalent? I'm currently wrapping up Peter Hart's Voices from the Front: An Oral History of the Great War so I'm in the market.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bad_fmr posted:

For example:
It also may have prevented nuclear war (it was the hot book of 1962, JFK read it, and during the Cuban Missile Crisis he kept referencing it and talking about how he didn't want things to inexorably spiral out of control like they did in 1914).

So, uh, good on you Barbara Tuchman.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Good sources that aren't The Guns of August (I've lifted the summaries elsewhere because I don't have time to summarize them all myself but I can vouch for these sources being great because I've used them before as references myself when writing historiographies of mobilization)

The First World War by John Keegan
- Keegan's book has become a ​modern-day classic, representing the most popular view of the Great War: a bloody and futile conflict, fought in chaos, causing the unnecessary death of millions. Three concentrations of black and white photographs and a selection of quality maps accompany a superbly written narrative that expertly guides the reader through a complex period.

1914-1918: The History of the First World War by David Stevenson
- Stevenson tackles vital elements of the war missing from more military accounts, and is a good addition to Keegan. If you only read one breakdown of the financial situation affecting Britain and France (and how the US helped before they declared war), make it the relevant chapter here.

The FIrst World War by Gerard De Groot
- Recommended by several university lecturers as the best single-volume introduction for students, this is a relatively small, and thus more easily digested volume which should be affordable. A superb overall account of events, with enough bite to keep Great War experts interested.

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark
- Clark has won awards for his work on German history, and here he tackles, in great detail, the start of the First World War. His volume debates how the war began, and by refusing to blame Germany--and instead blaming all of Europe--has been accused of bias. [TB Note: This one ruffled some feathers among academics but it's worth a read anyway because I've always felt blaming Germany solely was a bunch of horse poo poo from the start]

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 20, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Blueprint for Armageddon Dan carlin.

Unbelievable audio story of WW1. Downright depressing and very comprehensive.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm a fan of the line from Blackadder: "The reason for the war is that it became too much of a bother not to have a war."

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Blueprint for Armageddon Dan carlin.

Unbelievable audio story of WW1. Downright depressing and very comprehensive.

I'm not sure if all the episodes are available anymore, he has a habit of deleting them. Anyone getting into Hardcore History also needs to be prepared for each episode to be about six hours long, and it may take 5 years to actually complete the series. He's monumentally slow and ponderous when it comes to that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not sure if all the episodes are available anymore, he has a habit of deleting them. Anyone getting into Hardcore History also needs to be prepared for each episode to be about six hours long, and it may take 5 years to actually complete the series. He's monumentally slow and ponderous when it comes to that show
https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-55-blueprint-for-armageddon-series/

It's 14.99 US. But it's 25 hours long or so so it's a books worth of time.