Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mutantIke posted:

my S22 ULTRA's fingerprint reader has been shockingly reliable

Again, depends on the person. I've had some varient of the S series with the ultrasonic sensor since the Note 10+ and they've all been frustratingly bad for me. That type of sensor just doesn't work right for me for whatever reason. Take a shower? Can't unlock the phone for like an hour afterwards. Wash hands? Biometrics are useless for a half hour. Do anything with my hands at all? Accuracy plummets and it's a crapshoot if I get in under the 5 attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Google is trying to help you reduce bed time phone use.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

2 things: still haven't come up with a way to keep volume up in the car, no routine seems to allow me to select that particular volume, so thats annoying. (wireless AA)

And even though edge is my default browser, chrome seems to take precedence when handling app passwords for some reason. (S23)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

withoutclass posted:

Google is trying to help you reduce bed time phone use.

I notice the flash because I keep my house fairly dark at night ironically because it helps me keep a good sleep schedule

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My thumbs must be abnormally large or something because I've never once been "blinded" by an optical fingerprint reader in the dark, even pitch blackness.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think since my post screen replacement factory reset, the fingerprint scanner hasn't been quite as reliable, though it's still in "works most of the time assuming thumb isn't wet or dirty" territory for me. Also that could be entirely subjective.

bull3964 posted:

My thumbs must be abnormally large or something because I've never once been "blinded" by an optical fingerprint reader in the dark, even pitch blackness.

And yeah, same, though my thumbs are definitely abnormally large.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Soul Glo posted:

Pixel 7s were $350 at Best Buy as of last week. Might still be.

For some reason Best Buy is telling me my Pixel 6 Pro (perfect condition 256gb) is worth zero dollars as a trade in. I'm not sure if it's just because the P7 already has such a discount or what. I may have actually jumped on this deal otherwise.

Edit: Nope, I'm an idiot and misread the last question about master lock codes. Best Buy only offering $115 compared to Google offering $400, though. Oh well.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 20, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

For those of you with fingerprint reader issues - have you considered using the place-based smart unlock for home/etc? Or trusted BT devices?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I probably get 1 or 2 misreads a day on my P7P finger scanner. Subjectively it feels like poo poo because my now very old OnePlus 7 Pro, the Samsung S21U and S22U I used to have, and now OnePlus 11 almost never miss a read. Maybe 1 time a week they'll complain if I'm very spastic and barely touch the scanner. That's a mix of optical and ultrasonic sensors that I felt all perform better than the Pixel. The OnePlus optical scanners have been the best for me, almost approaching actual physical capacitive levels of reliability and just...not having to think about it. Kind of like it was in the glory days of really good physical scanners. An old Huawei Mate phone with a physical scanner on the back remains the absolute gold standard for me. That thing was magical compared to the Pixel 2 XL I also had at the time. Just ridiculously fast -to the point I didn't think it was even reading my fingerprint and just unlocking the phone on touch (it was actually reading my finger because it only worked on the finger I programmed).

The tech for good under screen scanners is there, and it works; the Pixel just feels like 1st gen tech to me. Which is a shame because the phone does so many other things so great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

amenenema posted:

For those of you with fingerprint reader issues - have you considered using the place-based smart unlock for home/etc? Or trusted BT devices?

The problem is, those aren't good enough for things like payments or banking apps.

Getting INTO my phone is something I can work around. Unlocking my 1password vault or paying with my phone is a whole different ballgame.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I probably get 1 or 2 misreads a day on my P7P finger scanner. Subjectively it feels like poo poo because my now very old OnePlus 7 Pro, the Samsung S21U and S22U I used to have, and now OnePlus 11 almost never miss a read.

Funny enough, I've found my P7P sensor to be more reliable than my OP11 at this point.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 20, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

rumour is that google is working on ultrasonic sensors for the pixel 8 series (or maybe only the pro)

whether that will have better accuracy remains to be seen, but it won't have the bright flash issue at least

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

rumour is that google is working on ultrasonic sensors for the pixel 8 series (or maybe only the pro)

whether that will be an improvement remains to be seen

I'm honestly dreading it because I think it's going to make biometrics borderline unusable to me on the Pixel series.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Why don't the Pixel 7s have IR for face unlock? Seems like a no brainier at this point.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

big notches went out of style unless you're apple

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Why don't the Pixel 7s have IR for face unlock? Seems like a no brainier at this point.

Because every single reviewer would be roasting them about BEZELS.

IR face unlock is not commercially viable from a aesthetics perspective unless you are apple.

I mean, for fucks sake, the Pixel 7 was already being roasted over "excessive bezels."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, those aren't good enough for things like payments or banking apps.

Getting INTO my phone is something I can work around. Unlocking my 1password vault or paying with my phone is a whole different ballgame.

I swear my pixel 7 does the inverse of what you'd expect and somehow has stricter requirements for unlocking the phone than logging into secure apps, my password manager and bank biometric logins basically never fail despite the phone lockscreen failing a handful of times a day lol

I think it has something to do with the angle I hold my phone when unlocking it vs using it, but even after adding just one thumb at different angles to take up all the pattern slots it still isn't super reliable

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

I swear my pixel 7 does the inverse of what you'd expect and somehow has stricter requirements for unlocking the phone than logging into secure apps, my password manager and bank biometric logins basically never fail despite the phone lockscreen failing a handful of times a day lol

I think it has something to do with the angle I hold my phone when unlocking it vs using it, but even after adding just one thumb at different angles to take up all the pattern slots it still isn't super reliable

I mean, I don't have issues either way with my Pixel 7 Pro. Lock screen and in-app stuff works just fine. It is my main frustration with the S23U. I can setup face unlock and that gets me into the phone, but god help me if I want to pay with it (that's one of the reasons why I have a wearOS watch, so I can sidestep that.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my Pixel 7 Pro fingerprint sensor works fine, sorry for your hosed up fingers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

my Pixel 7 Pro fingerprint sensor works fine, sorry for your hosed up fingers

Was this funny the last 20 times you posted it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Was this funny the last 20 times you posted it?

yes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

are there any leaks about the new Pixel tablet? Other than the docking station standalone price. Or is it gonna be a pretty standard tablet?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Don't know about the tablet but the Fold is apparently launching in June.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The only time this thread has a bunch of unread posts is when fingerprint discourse is going

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't know about the tablet but the Fold is apparently launching in June.

apparently it's going to be $2500 CAD before tax lol

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Funny enough, I've found my P7P sensor to be more reliable than my OP11 at this point.

Oh right, duh. Ironically my P7 unlock works 99% of the time for everything, but my P5 (god's own fingerprint reader apparently) wouldn't register for the budgeting app Mint pretty regularly. Weird that phone unlock and app biometrics don't work the same (either good or bad) on the same phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

apparently it's going to be $2500 CAD before tax lol

Jesus Christ, madness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Everyone keeps acting shocked about the leaked pricing of the Pixel Fold, but it's right in line with the Fold 4 so I really don't know why it's coming as a big surprise.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's right in line with the pricing of samsungs 4th generation of the concept, for a first generation design, in a product class that's notoriously prone to reliability and durability issues

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

it's right in line with the pricing of samsungs 4th generation of the concept, for a first generation design, in a product class that's notoriously prone to reliability and durability issues

So, you are saying we should price it like a first generation product?

Ok then, $1900 USD / $2600 Canadian it is.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've noticed my P7 scanner fails if I've washed my hands recently and they're particularly dry (and in my job I'm doing that a lot)

Licking my thumb will usually fix it

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

are there any leaks about the new Pixel tablet? Other than the docking station standalone price. Or is it gonna be a pretty standard tablet?

The only recent new thing that's come out is that the european price is looking to be in the 650 area, including VAT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, and that's a price (if translated directly to USD) that I can actually take umbrage with.

Included dock aside, that's almost the same price as the Tab S8+ and that has a high refresh rate OLED screen. We know it doesn't have the later and I'm doubting it has the former (and will be pleasantly surprised if it does.)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, and that's a price (if translated directly to USD) that I can actually take umbrage with.

Included dock aside, that's almost the same price as the Tab S8+ and that has a high refresh rate OLED screen. We know it doesn't have the later and I'm doubting it has the former (and will be pleasantly surprised if it does.)

Does Google have a stylus? That's where the Tab S series has a foot hold against Apple.

Edit: so they are using USI. Well, it's still on the pricy side for what I need a tablet for. Notes and the like.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

The only recent new thing that's come out is that the european price is looking to be in the 650 area, including VAT.

wtf

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SpannerX posted:

Does Google have a stylus? That's where the Tab S series has a foot hold against Apple.

Edit: so they are using USI. Well, it's still on the pricy side for what I need a tablet for. Notes and the like.

Yeah, USI.

Like I said, if you consider the stand it's probably not TOO far out since every accessory of these things is ungodly expensive (the keyboard book cover of the S8 Ultra is 350 goddamn dollars which is more expensive than the mechanical keyboard I use at my desktop), but it still makes it feel like the price is inflated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has anyone got the April security update on a Pixel 6? I keep checking but still keep getting told that I am up to date.

Carrier is Verizon Prepaid, if that matters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

I've noticed my P7 scanner fails if I've washed my hands recently and they're particularly dry (and in my job I'm doing that a lot)

Licking my thumb will usually fix it

Yeah, when mine fails it always seems to be because my hands are dry, too. I've found just doing a "warm" breath (that is, not with pursed lips) on my thumb is usually enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has anyone got the April security update on a Pixel 6? I keep checking but still keep getting told that I am up to date.

Carrier is Verizon Prepaid, if that matters.

Verizon appears to be holding the update back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My phone overheated today and wouldn't even take a picture. It was only 82 degrees out, my phone was stored in a bag out of sunlight, and was only playing music via Bluetooth (a downloaded playlist at that) and recording Strava GPS. This happened about 15 minutes into the activity. That's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yikes. Wonder if it had a lovely signal and burned itself up trying to stay connected/find a connection