Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Zeruel posted:

THE EMPIRE
IS A CANCER
AND I AM THE BARBERS BLADE
:black101:

Scream louder! I want to remember this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Theris posted:

And one of the cool things about FFXIV is that if you aren't interested in endgame gearing, you don't really have to engage with it. The gear dropped from a patch dungeon is good enough to get you into the next patch's dungeon, and once the next expack drops you can buy the last capped tome gear with poetics to carry you through the MSQ. It's fine to not care about it because you don't have to.

I think overall XIV's gearing is a comfy balance between GW-style gear not mattering at all and, uh, whatever it is that WoW has going on.

Gotta disagree here, doing the 6.2 dungeon was not enough to do the 6.2 trial when i had 6.1 poetic gear (not a full set tho) and i had back out and gently caress around to get to the right ilvl. Hated that when youre in the midst of the story. This is my first time doing current patch stuff but i never once had this problem before. It seemed done to make you grind out the two end game poetics or rerun that dungeon, which again, never hit this problem in the past 1100 hours

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 20, 2023

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Everyone should play what they are comfortable with but if you are invested in the story at all I would argue its worth suffering through the raids once to see them.

8 man raids:
Coils of Bahamut: Easily soloable, maybe bring a buddy for Nael. tons of important story in here.
Alexander: Pretty easy to solo on something like a WAR. Not to important story wise but it has spectacle.
Omega: This is almost as important as the Crystal Tower story wise.
Eden: You really haven't finished things on the First without doing this.

All the 24 man raids are their own stories but the current one could end up having big repercussions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Spuzzz posted:

Alexander: FORWARD AND BACK YOU GO FORWARD AND BACK AND GO FORWARD AND BACK AND THEN ONE FOOT FORWARD

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All the normal raids, you can just queue for in the duty finder. Bring some friends if you have any, the game bribes people to do stuff with first timers, and old players only feel alive when a sprout sees something new. No one will care if you die.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

No one will care if you die.

This is the important takeaway. If you're nervous about group content because you think you'll embarrass yourself doing something wrong, the bar for the level of play people in this game will tolerate in normal content before getting annoyed or upset with you is very, very low. If you can post on this forum without getting banned you can almost certainly clear that bar. Especially if you're on DPS it's very likely that no one will even notice you being bad.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

TheWorldsaStage posted:

A while back I asked about a modder who had figured out how to spawn entities and use any room as a backdrop in gpose, but some drama happened and it never got released.

Did anyone else ever figure that stuff out or is it like Alexandria burning

you can use the dalamud plugin brio to spawn entites in gpose. you can enable integration with anamnesis to add a new 'spawn actor' button to anamnesis using brio, as well. you can use the dalamud plugin ktisis to pose actors in-game, it also integrates into anamnesis

i hear the devs working on these plugins are still actively working to get loadable scenes working.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
there are a ton of people that complain about getting ilvl locked that show up for a week after each patch. just do the dungeon again, or do some roulettes and buy some limited tomestone gear, or buy some crafted gear, or have someone make you some crafted gear. there's a lot of different solutions to this problem but complaining about it in FC chat every 3 months doesn't help you get geared.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
The only optional content that doesn't have any plot significance whatsoever and probably never will is the Shadowbringers Alliance Raids.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Theris posted:

This is the important takeaway. If you're nervous about group content because you think you'll embarrass yourself doing something wrong, the bar for the level of play people in this game will tolerate in normal content before getting annoyed or upset with you is very, very low. If you can post on this forum without getting banned you can almost certainly clear that bar. Especially if you're on DPS it's very likely that no one will even notice you being bad.

also if someone actually gets bitchy about a player failing mechanics in a normal raid (something I have never personally witnessed in years), especially if it's their first (or single digit) time, you can probably get them sent to GM jail

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
I don't really know if this would help anyone, but I was extremely hesitant to start XIV because I don't consider myself a particularly skilled "gamer," and I never play online co-op games because I cannot stand the feeling of being a liability to a team. I think I played TF2 once and hated that I couldn't parse what exactly what exactly was going on at all times. I would never touch Overwatch or any MOBA for this reason alone, even though I enjoy shooters, generally.

But I had friends that kept pushing XIV and the pandemic hit, so I caved. The first time I did Sastasha, my nerves were shot. Even though my first 8-man was over in a minute (RIP Cape Westwind), I still had to hype myself up to do it. Same with CT. But now I'm pretty fresh into EW and have done all the extra trials and raids so far (well, I'm saving Savage for after I beat MSQ). I love engaging with mechanics, have leveled at least one job in every role to see how party dynamics click, and have had an absolute blast these past few years.

I guess my point is that, like people say, this community is helpful to new players at best, or at least will ignore mistakes as long as you seem to be trying. I still gently caress up in major ways sometimes, but as long as you're learning, it's all good. The raid and trial series are absolutely worth it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I accidentally caused a wipe my first time on one of the CT raids by tanking one of those dual-wielding sword adds to the center of the arena instead of keeping them separate and I got a lot of grief from vets who were very mad they had to wait 2 extra minutes for their tomes* but other than that and a few random weirdos the atmosphere in raids has only ever been understanding and encouraging

*we wiped again later on when the shield didn't engage against ancient flare and the grief in chat was just delicious

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

FuturePastNow posted:

also if someone actually gets bitchy about a player failing mechanics in a normal raid (something I have never personally witnessed in years), especially if it's their first (or single digit) time, you can probably get them sent to GM jail

Like the most fun thing in this game is going into fights blind and dying over and over. Anyone that wants to rob others of this experience is a jerk.

I mean, there's a ton of content that if I got dropped into via duty finder I wouldn't remember what to do.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

truly the most fun you can have in this game is to log in immediately on an odd patch and slam the alliance raid with 23 other clueless morons

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamean posted:

truly the most fun you can have in this game is to log in immediately on an odd patch and slam the alliance raid with 23 other clueless morons

absolutely

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unfortunately it's at the point where even waiting until like after work on patch day still results in a large enough pool of people who are rerunning, read guides, got tips from friends, or similar that wipes are rare. I think I beat every fight in 6.3 on launch day on the first pull with no one giving directions in chat.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Our 6.3 FC blind run was pretty smooth, especially compared to the mass casualty event that was the 6.1 blind run. I think it's because the newest alliance raid doesn't really have any tricksy mechanics

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Euphrosyne had great presentation but the actual fights were really really easy

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Vitamean posted:

:yeah:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

God Hole posted:

I accidentally caused a wipe my first time on one of the CT raids by tanking one of those dual-wielding sword adds to the center of the arena instead of keeping them separate and I got a lot of grief from vets who were very mad they had to wait 2 extra minutes for their tomes* but other than that and a few random weirdos the atmosphere in raids has only ever been understanding and encouraging

*we wiped again later on when the shield didn't engage against ancient flare and the grief in chat was just delicious

somehow the crystal tower raids are the most toxic groups i get into. no other 8 or 24 man raid or trial gets the same frequency of vitriol as vets going through ct for the 1,000th time.

also the way people are so absolutely insistent that you must tank the bone dragon north is ridiculous

Countblanc posted:

Unfortunately it's at the point where even waiting until like after work on patch day still results in a large enough pool of people who are rerunning, read guides, got tips from friends, or similar that wipes are rare. I think I beat every fight in 6.3 on launch day on the first pull with no one giving directions in chat.

I ran got up early and ran Euphrosyne at like 6AM pacific on patch day so the servers had been up for maybe 4 hours and I think we might've wiped once on Halone. None of the mechanics for that raid are tricky and most of them don't cause immediate deaths, or even come quickly enough to build up vuln stacks. I was a little sad tbh because I got up early specifically to get a run as blind as possible and it just was not difficult.

Meanwhile I remember 6.1 and floor tanking Aglaia through much of it, those bosses have mechanics that are deadlier and more difficult to sightread blind than Euphrosyne. Byregot's moving arena is trickier than anything in Euph, not to mention Rhalgr's jebait portals.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Countblanc posted:

The sweet spot for me has been a few hours after servers come up. The people that go in right away are usually too good at the game so going then made things too smooth, so waiting a few hours for more casual people to log on has resulted in more of the chaos I crave.

Doctor Epitaph posted:

I guess my point is that, like people say, this community is helpful to new players at best, or at least will ignore mistakes as long as you seem to be trying. I still gently caress up in major ways sometimes, but as long as you're learning, it's all good.
Some people even want to watch newbies make mistakes and learn. I know some people that have queued for story content that can be tricky for new players so that they can help people through it. Or when they queue for roulettes, they get excited when it's something on the harder side like Orbonne and they get the newbie bonus notification at the start.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Unfortunately it's at the point where even waiting until like after work on patch day still results in a large enough pool of people who are rerunning, read guides, got tips from friends, or similar that wipes are rare.

If you're on later you can check party finder for blind runs. The downside is that people seeking those out are going to tend to be more experienced and pretty good at sightreading new content, but it's still more entertaining than going in with people who've already run it or have read guides.

quote:

I think I beat every fight in 6.3 on launch day on the first pull with no one giving directions in chat.

That's probably at least partly because the 6.3 raid might be the easiest alliance raid in a while.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Theris posted:

That's probably at least partly because the 6.3 raid might be the easiest alliance raid in a while.

It's the easiest raid they've ever made period. Definitely experienced more wipes in all of the arr 24 mans back when they were current.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Eupho just feels undertuned. Like just recently I had an absolute poo poo run against the second boss, just stuff going wrong left and right and had to scrape back from a raid wipe at the end and even then the group still had 2 minutes left before the enrage went off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I see more wipes in LotA and WoD than any other roulette

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Fundamentally I agree that it gets that point quicker than it ever has before, However, the 6.3 alliance is also just one of the easiest they’ve made in a long time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

I see more wipes in LotA and WoD than any other roulette

Recently my wipes in LotA comes from the group not coming to a consensus on being greedy with the second ancient flare.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's more than possible to kill before the second ancient flare, but everyone has to believe in their gamer soul that they can accomplish it

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
People aren't even trying in LotA anymore. The other day I had multiple people just running laps around the perimeter of the Bone Zone instead of fighting the dragon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vitamean posted:

it's more than possible to kill before the second ancient flare, but everyone has to believe in their gamer soul that they can accomplish it

Unfortunately when the group isn't in sync it splits in a way where we can't deal enough damage to kill, but don't have enough people on the pads to protect from the incoming ancient flare, real sad to see.

Ojjeorago posted:

People aren't even trying in LotA anymore. The other day I had multiple people just running laps around the perimeter of the Bone Zone instead of fighting the dragon.

I literally sat in an AoE during the Thanotos fight because it's just so boring when your alliance isn't chosen to fight the boss.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

fwiw I haven't gotten crystal tower raids in I think weeks now. it's almost always been ivalice with some mhachi raids sprinkled in

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My worst experience so far has been Tower Of Zot. I got to that point in the story around December, and as far as I can tell, the game decided to throw 4 people who had never done it into a party. We wiped multiple times against each boss, and I think there was about 10 minutes left on the timer when we won.

Even though nobody blamed anyone for things going south, that still stressed me out so bad I took a few days off from playing.

Lately, I've been queueing into the CT Raids via Roulette, and I'm getting more comfortable with the process of running them.

As I said, I have no interest in the other 8 and 24 person stuff, but that will probably change at some point in the future.

Right now, I'm leveling alt Jobs and Crafters/Gatherers, and I'm waiting for the last of the 6.x patches to release so I can run all of it at once.

When I'm ready, I'll make sure to let you goons know, and you can drag me through the other stuff. :)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Recently my wipes in LotA comes from the group not coming to a consensus on being greedy with the second ancient flare.

Greed on the second flare when the group doesn't have the dps, and someone running into an atomos lane early and leaving one group without 4+ people.

In WoD the wipes happen when none of the tanks can competently control the Mainyu (or their healers can't keep them alive). That happens a lot.

Honestly I can't blame someone for not wanting to do any other raid content when Crystal Tower is their first taste because those raids are both boring and terrible

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
I just did Tower of Zot for the first time the other night, although it was with a Trusts/Duty Support. I don't usually die to story content, but did wipe a few times at the end. Those AOE marker combos can get intense!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tower of Zot does have some relatively brutal bosses for a leveling dungeon, especially for people coming back from an extended time away from the game. They're not unfair but they are very unkind to people that aren't prepared to move around a lot.

And the last boss especially can have some complicated safe zones to find.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pick one of the blue dps classes and you can just ignore the mechanics.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Vitamean posted:

you can kill Amon before he finishes his curtain call if the raid isn't full of baby cowards

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

parasyte posted:

somehow the crystal tower raids are the most toxic groups i get into. no other 8 or 24 man raid or trial gets the same frequency of vitriol as vets going through ct for the 1,000th time.

also the way people are so absolutely insistent that you must tank the bone dragon north is ridiculous

Absolutely. CT is so full of degens looking for the effortless carry in getting a trivial amount of exp/tomes in 20 minutes they entirely lose it when something isn't what they're used to.

Tower of Zot is awesome. It's one of the only dungeons with any teeth, and still has a fairly restrictive lvl sync. Why they made the first dungeon that comparatively difficult? I don't know.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

parasyte posted:

It's because they are extremely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vitamean posted:

People that don't go bold on the final boss are cowards. :colbert: