Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Define not worth it? The 6500 has a bunch more performance than integrated graphics, although the perf/price ratio is bad compared to going up a tier.

For desktop and Sim City 4, a 6500 offers nothing over integrated graphics.

For playing modern games at low settings, a 6500 will do much better than integrated graphics, but also takes a weirdly huge hit if you run it on a platform with PCIe 3.0. It only has a 4x PCIe interface, and really wants PCIe 4.0. I'd honestly think that for effika's target usage and if they're on Skylake with DDR4, I'd think about doing a motherboard / CPU upgrade instead to a 5600G, which you can get for less than $130 and re-use RAM, disk, case, etc. The 6500 really doesn't like old motherboards.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rx-6500-xt-pcie-gen3-gen4-tested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Woolie Wool posted:

I was looking up articles about Plan 9 from Bell Labs because it sounds kind of interesting even if it sounds like a nightmare to actually use for anything besides hacking projects, I ended up following one dumb reddit argument to suckless/cat-v.org and got retraumatized :psyduck:

plan 9 is actually one of the easiest systems i've ever picked up and learned, i dunno

Woolie Wool posted:

Like, I can sympathize with the Free Software Foundation even if I think they're zealots in need of of some basic pragmatism, but what, exactly, is the sort of approach to computers that suckless people/Plan 9 idealists actually want for society?

suckless and plan 9 people hate each other.

Woolie Wool posted:

It's not just that Plan9 might be difficult to use, per se, but it's completely obsessed with the sort of low-level hacking very few people actually do and very few people actually need to do, to the point where the system becomes actively hostile to any use of the machine that actually factors into economic production or public entertainment (i.e. the vast, vast majority of actual existing computing).

i'm not sure what you mean by this. plan 9 is extremely high level in virtually all of its concepts. at its core the plan 9 kernel is a networked multiplexer and type-1 hypervisor restricted to itself and written to a concept of ubiquitous resource access via synthetic filesystems. it may not be super apparent, but this is an incredibly powerful stack of design choices that instantly eliminate a lot of dumb bullshit because it's so high level.
i'm also not sure why you think it's uh, hostile. because it's different from the other two OSes you've used in your life? wait until you learn about symbolics machines.

Woolie Wool posted:

Or do they just want computers to become completely irrelevant and most of the world go back to filing cabinets, rolodexes, and landline telephones while supporting a thousand wannabe Bell Labs to waste electricity on projects that revel in their own uselessness?

i like it when my computers aren't filled with headaches and are simple to interact with, no more, no less. plan 9 is just nice to use. i run a local system that i talk to with inferno. have you ever done something.... because you liked it? because it felt nice to use?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Plan9 had a bunch of very neat ideas, but it didn't go far enough.

What's the point of single system image clustering when you can't do process migration?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

plan 9 is actually one of the easiest systems i've ever picked up and learned, i dunno

suckless and plan 9 people hate each other.

i'm not sure what you mean by this. plan 9 is extremely high level in virtually all of its concepts. at its core the plan 9 kernel is a networked multiplexer and type-1 hypervisor restricted to itself and written to a concept of ubiquitous resource access via synthetic filesystems. it may not be super apparent, but this is an incredibly powerful stack of design choices that instantly eliminate a lot of dumb bullshit because it's so high level.
i'm also not sure why you think it's uh, hostile. because it's different from the other two OSes you've used in your life? wait until you learn about symbolics machines.

i like it when my computers aren't filled with headaches and are simple to interact with, no more, no less. plan 9 is just nice to use. i run a local system that i talk to with inferno. have you ever done something.... because you liked it? because it felt nice to use?

I liked Plan9 a whole bunch. I wonder if I could give it another whirl. Right now I need:

• Web browser with access to webcam and mic (and the awful OpenSC library, ugh)
  • Acme
  • Xterm emulator with ssh
  • Docker
  • Occasionally some Linux GUI apps like Gimp, OpenSCAD, Cura slicer

Are these things possible? Docker seems like a no-go but honestly I never got too much further than Plan 9 from userspace

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Plan9 had a bunch of very neat ideas, but it didn't go far enough.

What's the point of single system image clustering when you can't do process migration?
i don't think it's right to think of plan 9 as a clustered system. it's a grid, which is a nuanced but important distinction. it's actually extremely similar to how we already use computers, just with a different workflow. rather than your web browser being an OS in and of itself, you use it in conjunction with your plumber to work the system. simple example: say you're browsing a video site, you scroll through the site, find a video you want to watch, plumb the link and your video player starts playing the remote resource, like pointing VLC at a youtube link. this is the plan 9 way of doing things, rather than playing the video in the browser itself.

that being said, it's a pretty easy jump from grid computing to clustered computing. you may find some of the projects this dude has worked on interesting:
https://lsub.org/

Octopus itself is pretty neat. I wish dis/inferno wasn't 32-bit.

cruft posted:

Right now I need:
9front has a lot of this covered.

cruft posted:

Web browser with access to webcam and mic (and the awful OpenSC library, ugh)
no can do, unfortunately. if you're on an intel processor and using 9front (which you should be), there's vmx(1) however it's rather unstable and limited to a single thread for the time being

obviously have this. i prefer 9front's sam, personally

cruft posted:

Xterm emulator with ssh
there's vt(1) which is a VT-100 and VT-220 emulator. And ofc ssh(1)
it works great.

you don't need docker. that's how cool plan 9 is. system composability and namespace isolation are extremely basic things that require zero boilerplate. i roll my eyes whenever i see people say that plan 9 is irrelevant because all of its cool features have been ported to most unix systems.
have you ever tried to use namespaces/cgroups on linux without some third party system/framework like docker? it's loving terrible. on plan 9 it's as simple as opening a new shell or forking a process.

cruft posted:

Are these things possible? Docker seems like a no-go but honestly I never got too much further than Plan 9 from userspace

there's nothing that makes any of the other software impossible on plan 9, but the ecosystem is sparse for things like CAD software, drivers, etc. porting unix software written in C is pretty easy thanks to APE and NPE. the latest C++ compiler that's available is cfront 3 which is obviously a pretty hefty blocker for porting a lot of things.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

you don't need docker. that's how cool plan 9 is.

I get what you meant, but I think this kind of response can seem really off-putting to people focused on practical solutions. I absolutely do need Docker. Building Docker stacks is how I am able to purchase food and electricity.

Dont Touch ME posted:

have you ever tried to use namespaces/cgroups on linux without some third party system/framework like docker?

Yes. And you're right, this sort of thing is much, much simpler on Plan 9.

If we ever meet in person we should get drinks and complain about the Berkeley socket API to each other.

Anyway what I'm getting out of this is that I could nerd out on Plan 9 if I were willing to have a second Linux machine that I use to do the work that pays the bills. I might consider it! Thanks for answering my questions :)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Why not just run Plan 9 in QEMU or something?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Or Plan 9 from Userspace

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Well, sure, that, but if you run Plan 9 in a VM you could lift the setup to run on actual hardware without having to change anything.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, sure, that, but if you run Plan 9 in a VM you could lift the setup to run on actual hardware without having to change anything.

Yeah, and you (probably) wouldn't have to beat your head against the desk when you discover there's no Plan 9 driver for your NIC or whatever.

This could wind up looking a lot like how ChromeOS runs Linux, with 9p mounts inside the VM and some sort of thing to translate rio into wayland. Hmm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I approve of this if only for the punny name.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I know networking keeps getting faster, 200gbit+ is DRAM bandwidth but the latency is still orders of magnitude worse than RAM, right?

I keep thinking process migration or letting a process on one machine directly allocate memory via RDMA on another machine now that we have such fast networking.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

cruft posted:

I get what you meant, but I think this kind of response can seem really off-putting to people focused on practical solutions. I absolutely do need Docker. Building Docker stacks is how I am able to purchase food and electricity.

yeah, i more mean it in the way of architecturally speaking. obviously a software stack that's built around docker needs docker.
if we're touching computers in a vacuum, i find plan 9 a hell of a lot more practical than docker in the abstract. unfortunately computing is not done in a vaccum :(

i find plan 9 is a cognito hazard. it leaves me howling "THIS IS A FOUR LINE SHELL SCRIPT ON PLAN 9" when trudging through mountains config documentation. it's also why i roll my eyes when i hear someone say "most of plan 9's features are already implemented elsewhere". like yeah, you're not wrong, but after you're comfortable with plan 9 you realize that all of those features are haphazardly grafted on and are painful to use.
i really got into plan 9 last year and i had fun using the computer for the first time in a very long time.

there are some technical pain points which i don't see mentioned often.
for instance: 9p is terrible if you have latency, so a wireless local grid can be annoyingly slow.
9front recently improved it, but it went from hundreds of kilobytes/s to a couple of megabytes/s which still isn't great.

Octopus actually implements a new protocol to handle high-latency connections, which is nice. It's a shame that it's a dis/inferno stack, and thus 32-bit.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

definitely do this. i only have 1 machine that runs plan 9 on bare metal. the rest of my grid lives as a bridged network of QEMU processes on my local server.

You can also check out inferno (though you'll have to do a bit of fiddling to get it compiling. it's not too bad, just adding some -fcommon and ensuring you have multilib stuff)
Inferno's userspace and featureset is very similar to Plan 9, with a bunch of extras (optionally typed shell!) and it runs as a local application on Linux, Windows, Mac, etc. Most of Plan 9's poo poo has been ported, including acme.
It's kind of like that old JavaOS, or Microsoft's Project Singularity, but the OS itself is heavily inspired by Plan 9 and runs on the Dis VM (Bell Labs' answer to the JVM.) It's actually really loving nice. I wish I had enough time/was rich enough to hire a team to rewrite the Limbo compiler for 64-bit systems.

It will give you the Plan 9 Experience from the comfort of an OS with drivers and C++ compilers.

Some day I will retire and I will ONLY RUN PLAN 9 SYSTEMS. S-someday.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 20, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dont Touch ME posted:

i don't think it's right to think of plan 9 as a clustered system. it's a grid, which is a nuanced but important distinction. it's actually extremely similar to how we already use computers, just with a different workflow. rather than your web browser being an OS in and of itself, you use it in conjunction with your plumber to work the system. simple example: say you're browsing a video site, you scroll through the site, find a video you want to watch, plumb the link and your video player starts playing the remote resource, like pointing VLC at a youtube link. this is the plan 9 way of doing things, rather than playing the video in the browser itself.

that being said, it's a pretty easy jump from grid computing to clustered computing. you may find some of the projects this dude has worked on interesting:
https://lsub.org/
It's always talked about as a distributed operating system - which I guess technically does include both clustered and grid systems.
However, it's dangerous to get into a taxonomical argument about this, because ultimately the taxonomy only helps in talking about it, it doesn't actually make it work better.

As for what I find interesting, it tends to be stuff that's used in production.
I'm a system operator first; to me, it's neat that something has academic interest, but what ultimately matters is that something has been tested in production, and isn't just a hypothetical idea that lives on someone's laptop as a toy.

I have this installed on my laptop, because there's a couple of binaries in the collection that I find quite useful - though of course now that I try to think of them, their names escape me. orz

Twerk from Home posted:

I know networking keeps getting faster, 200gbit+ is DRAM bandwidth but the latency is still orders of magnitude worse than RAM, right?

I keep thinking process migration or letting a process on one machine directly allocate memory via RDMA on another machine now that we have such fast networking.
Latency is ~1ns for L1, ~4ns for L2, 10ns for L3, and ~130ns for main memory, and it's ~250-500ns for modern NVMe SSDs, 0.3μs for SFP+ and ~2.4μs for RJ45.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

As for what I find interesting, it tends to be stuff that's used in production.
I'm a system operator first; to me, it's neat that something has academic interest, but what ultimately matters is that something has been tested in production, and isn't just a hypothetical idea that lives on someone's laptop as a toy.

Plan 9 itself has been used in production. It's used in a lot of different super computer projects even today, it was used in the Sydney Olympics, sees some usage in cell network infrastructure in a few places. The US Government uses it.... somewhere. They'll give you a glomar response if you make an FOIA req. Most of the 9front devs work at a smart appliance company that uses Plan 9 to run a bunch of their back end. IIRC Tivo boxes ran on Inferno. Inferno sees usage in network infrastructure too.

It's free, you can just download it and spend some time with it. As a system operator, if you learn its grain, you'll come to love it on the basis of how easy and powerful it is. NDB is like a hosts file on steroids, and used in conjunction with user-specific namespaces allows you to easily handle procedural construction of network topologies. Setting up to termrc dial a single domain, which is defined in the NDB file, which can perform specific behavior based on the (authenticated) login name, issuing more NDB files, which are then loaded. Domains are associated with specific auth servers, file servers, cpu servers, etc. which sort of explodes out and defines your network topology including authentication. Something like having a remote filesystem is literally trivial, zero-configuration. There is an incredible amount of power that makes managing a networked system very breezy and simple in a way that Unix never was.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 20, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Latency is ~1ns for L1, ~4ns for L2, 10ns for L3, and ~130ns for main memory, and it's ~250-500ns for modern NVMe SSDs, 0.3μs for SFP+ and ~2.4μs for RJ45.

That looks fully workable, so remote memory latency over SFP+ could be around 130ns + 300ns? I guess that you have switching in there too, so more like 300+300 for two links where you have machines connected to the same switch. That's less than an order of magnitude more latency and seems usable.

What SSDs are sub-500ns latency? I'm looking at datasheets and seeing 50 microseconds or more:
https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...022a2f40d1b731e

I guess it's possible that SSDs have gotten 100x lower latency, but that's a surprising improvement in a short amount of time. Even Optane as reviewed is around 50us latency, or 50,000ns:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

That looks fully workable, so remote memory latency over SFP+ could be around 130ns + 300ns? I guess that you have switching in there too, so more like 300+300 for two links where you have machines connected to the same switch. That's less than an order of magnitude more latency and seems usable.

What SSDs are sub-500ns latency? I'm looking at datasheets and seeing 50 microseconds or more:
https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...022a2f40d1b731e

I guess it's possible that SSDs have gotten 100x lower latency, but that's a surprising improvement in a short amount of time. Even Optane as reviewed is around 50us latency, or 50,000ns:

Sorry, was misremembering some zpool stats (I think I was remembering the lower end of the trim column, but that's not an excuse). My bad.

Here's the reals ones from a run-of-the-mill Samsung PM961 on my T480s running FreeBSD 14-CURRENT (from a few months ago):
pre:
zroot        total_wait     disk_wait    syncq_wait    asyncq_wait
latency      read  write   read  write   read  write   read  write  scrub   trim  rebuild
----------  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----
1ns             0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
3ns             0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
7ns             0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
15ns            0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
31ns            0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
63ns            0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
127ns           0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
255ns           0      0      0      0   240K   117K  4.40K  2.87K    193    340      0
511ns           0      0      0      0  5.06M   346K   513K   399K  31.7K  28.1K      0
1us             0      0      0      0   549K   345K   245K   795K  57.1K   107K      0
2us             0      0      0      0  95.2K   192K  17.5K   221K  5.72K   114K      0
4us             0      0      0      0  20.0K  18.8K  3.97K  62.1K  8.54K  13.5K      0
8us             0      0      0      0  8.90K  2.83K  1.57K  85.9K  11.6K    935      0
16us            0      0      0      0  1.76K    459  1.98K   171K  12.8K     87      0
32us         157K      0   172K      0    891    671  3.12K   383K  18.9K    178      0
65us        99.2K   905K   103K  6.13M  1.32K    168  7.10K   912K  6.80K     11      0
131us       5.48M  2.27M  5.75M  5.49M  2.56K    228  15.4K  1.32M  2.80K      3      0
262us        551K  2.57M  1.33M   953K  2.56K    379  34.7K  1.70M  2.86K      1      0
524us        586K  2.94M   986K   148K  2.23K   1017  42.5K  2.81M  4.33K      0      0
1ms          128K  2.22M   143K  25.8K  1.50K  4.05K  35.5K  1.55M  6.47K      1      0
2ms         75.0K   948K  27.9K   278K    818  2.30K  17.2K   786K  10.8K  52.2K      0
4ms         38.8K   780K  11.4K   471K     49    248  3.57K   613K  23.0K   133K      0
8ms         64.6K   508K  2.57K  44.8K     68     41  3.09K   436K  64.0K   259K      0
16ms         923K   309K  2.91K  1.15K     26     18  2.78K   261K   924K   848K      0
33ms         323K  97.3K    312    159      1     26  1.01K  78.2K   314K    866      0
67ms        63.5K  26.1K      4     12      0      0  1.34K  25.6K  59.9K      3      0
134ms       47.5K  6.38K      3      4      2      0    961  5.58K  46.5K      0      0
268ms       22.5K    577      0      1     68      0  2.92K    443  19.3K      0      0
536ms       1.68K    206      0      0     84      0  1.13K    206    459      0      0
1s          2.66K    144      1      0     38      0  2.63K    144      0      0      0
2s          3.22K     12      0      0     25      0  3.17K     12      0      0      0
4s              0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
8s              0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
17s             0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
34s             0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
68s             0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
137s            0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The vast majority of writes happen at ~130μs and writes are spread out a bit more at between ~130μs and 1ms.
That long tail is huge though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I’m almost all set up here! But how do I get it to connect to the internet? It’s Ethernet rn. I have two different Wifi adapters, one of them combo Bluetooth and Wifi. Nothing automatically popped up when I plugged them in and I don’t see equivalents to the windows way of setting them up. I did try to open the Bluetooth mgr but it said my daemon wasn’t initialized. And I tried step one of a troubleshooting thing and it didn’t recognize command apt-get

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mescal posted:

it didn’t recognize command apt-get

Why did you jerks convince this goon to install a weird distro? :argh:

OP, my guess is you need some proprietary driver firmware that the distro didn't install by default. You might have luck if you can find whatever forums or wiki or email list this distro uses and see what people are saying about firmware.

e: incidentally, if I hadn't made it clear, I totally respect your attitude about trying crazy poo poo and powering through it until you get something working. That's how I do things too, and it's worked well for me. It's exhausting, though.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 20, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mescal posted:

I’m almost all set up here! But how do I get it to connect to the internet? It’s Ethernet rn. I have two different Wifi adapters, one of them combo Bluetooth and Wifi. Nothing automatically popped up when I plugged them in and I don’t see equivalents to the windows way of setting them up. I did try to open the Bluetooth mgr but it said my daemon wasn’t initialized. And I tried step one of a troubleshooting thing and it didn’t recognize command apt-get

Just install Fedora OP.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

This kind of roadblock is exactly why I’m using the weird distro. If my project were using wifi adapters, then I’d have to solve the exact same problem later after my bones were already in place.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mescal posted:

USB adapters? Then lsusb should tell you things about the device. One important piece of information is the vendor ID and product ID. For example:
pre:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0e8d:0608 MediaTek Inc. Wireless_Device
PCI cards? Then lspci

Here vendor ID is 0e8d and product id is 0608. So you can google about drivers/how to make it work for a device with that vid/pid.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Volguus posted:

USB adapters? Then lsusb should tell you things about the device. One important piece of information is the vendor ID and product ID. For example:
pre:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0e8d:0608 MediaTek Inc. Wireless_Device
PCI cards? Then lspci

Here vendor ID is 0e8d and product id is 0608. So you can google about drivers/how to make it work for a device with that vid/pid.

there was exactly one google result that looked like it would help me, but the 4th step was to install flatpak and i was like "it still doesn't have flatpak after all the installs ive done?" endeavour doesn't come with anything. i have the whole thing set up real nice except the goofy wifi card drivers. i gave up hours ago actually, and made a fedora install drive, it didn't like GRUB even though endeavor didnt have a problem with it, i got an ubunty install, too big for little usb drive, then i had company. authoring xubuntu iso now. i'll see if that one boots. it's a shame about this nice endeavouros install it's gonna burn lol

edit: xubuntu also says it doesn't notice a thing when i put the wifi adapters in. LEDs don't light either. and it doesn't have the terminal commands the walkthru says it should. tried front and back usb slots. i'll carry it back upstairs tomorrow and see if it auto downloads drivers when it's got an ethernet cable plugged in to it. i'm suspicious there's something funky with this hardware, but... hey, 90% chance it works when i pop the firmware in. drivers. whatever.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 21, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Those installers are normally pretty good at automatically installing the needed drivers for all your strange cards. Assuming the device is plugged in while you are installing.
Also, if you plan to blindly follow the guides, you probably should stick with normal Ubuntu over xubuntu.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Mescal posted:

there was exactly one google result that looked like it would help me, but the 4th step was to install flatpak and i was like "it still doesn't have flatpak after all the installs ive done?" endeavour doesn't come with anything. i have the whole thing set up real nice except the goofy wifi card drivers. i gave up hours ago actually, and made a fedora install drive, it didn't like GRUB even though endeavor didnt have a problem with it, i got an ubunty install, too big for little usb drive, then i had company. authoring xubuntu iso now. i'll see if that one boots. it's a shame about this nice endeavouros install it's gonna burn lol

edit: xubuntu also says it doesn't notice a thing when i put the wifi adapters in. LEDs don't light either. and it doesn't have the terminal commands the walkthru says it should. tried front and back usb slots. i'll carry it back upstairs tomorrow and see if it auto downloads drivers when it's got an ethernet cable plugged in to it. i'm suspicious there's something funky with this hardware, but... hey, 90% chance it works when i pop the firmware in. drivers. whatever.

I’d suggest trying Knoppix, just to see if it detects your wifi adapter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I had the same experience that Mescal is having now when I tried to install FreeBSD a year or two ago haha.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Dont Touch ME posted:

Most of the 9front devs work at a smart appliance company that uses Plan 9 to run a bunch of their back end.
Who?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mescal posted:

A simple thing you can check:
dmesg | tail
Insert the WiFi dongle
dmesg | tail
and see what new messages have appeared. Sometimes they can be informative, though as a start it'd be good if anything happened.

I'm sure there's an applicable journalctl command you can use instead of dmesg | tail, but this is at least easy to remember.
(dmesg prints log messages from the kernel, and with tail you just get the last few lines.)

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Computer viking posted:

A simple thing you can check:
dmesg | tail
Insert the WiFi dongle
dmesg | tail
and see what new messages have appeared. Sometimes they can be informative, though as a start it'd be good if anything happened.

I'm sure there's an applicable journalctl command you can use instead of dmesg | tail, but this is at least easy to remember.
(dmesg prints log messages from the kernel, and with tail you just get the last few lines.)

You can also do "dmesg --follow" (two dashes there) to have it print lines as they're generated. Control+C to exit.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah, that's a better idea.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Computer viking posted:

code:
journalctl -p err
Will get you the error log log entries for this boot.

code:
journalctl -p err -b -1
Will do the same for last boot.

Do:
code:
journalctl -p err --follow
to do the same thing suggested for dmesg --follow

You can adjust the filter by changing the flag after -p to the different log levels. These are the levels:

0: Emergency. The system is unusable.
1: Alert. A condition has been flagged that should be corrected immediately.
2: Critical. This covers crashes, coredumps, and significant failures in primary applications.
3: Error. An error has been reported, but it is not considered severe.
4: Warning. Brings a condition to your attention that, if ignored, may become an error.
5: Notice. Used to report events that are unusual, but not errors.
6: Information. Regular operational messages. These do not require action.
7: Debug. Messages put into applications to make it easier for them to debug them.

You can do a bunch of other filtering and such if you find it's too cluttered to follow. Or add more info if you're looking for it. Its man page is pretty good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

acetcx posted:

You can also do "dmesg --follow" (two dashes there) to have it print lines as they're generated. Control+C to exit.
Huh, that's an interesting flag.

I'm so used to doing tail -F /var/log/messages (or wherever the system log text is at, depending on the Unix-like) that it never occurred to me that you can just read lines from the system message buffer as they're added.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Those installers are normally pretty good at automatically installing the needed drivers for all your strange cards. Assuming the device is plugged in while you are installing.
Also, if you plan to blindly follow the guides, you probably should stick with normal Ubuntu over xubuntu.

You mean "if you install while connected to the internet?" or there are a million drivers on the install iso?

xubuntu looks like a tiny os for babies

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 21, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mescal posted:

You mean "if you install while connected to the internet?" or there are a million drivers on the install iso?

xubuntu looks like a tiny os for babies

There would be drivers for exotic devices that are autoinstalled if the autoinstaller detects that the divices are there. Otherwise they are not installed by default.
My old laptop's wireless drivers are like that. No idea if it needs internet connection to install those, I connect to the internet during install anyways to be safe.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Huh, that's an interesting flag.

I'm so used to doing tail -F /var/log/messages (or wherever the system log text is at, depending on the Unix-like) that it never occurred to me that you can just read lines from the system message buffer as they're added.

Doesn't seem to be in FreeBSD dmesg, but it would be a nice thing to have, and I don't see any good reason to not add it. If I'm reading the man page correctly, it fetches the content from the sysctl - is there any sensible way to sleep until there's new content there?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Doesn't seem to be in FreeBSD dmesg, but it would be a nice thing to have, and I don't see any good reason to not add it. If I'm reading the man page correctly, it fetches the content from the sysctl - is there any sensible way to sleep until there's new content there?
As a programmer, I'm still a pretty terrible florist.

Also, as mentioned before, tail -F /var/log/messages already does exactly what you're asking for - so you can just alias it to dmesng.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As a programmer, I'm still a pretty terrible florist.

Also, as mentioned before, tail -F /var/log/messages already does exactly what you're asking for - so you can just alias it to dmesng.

That's already how I follow logs, yes - it just seemed like it'd be nice to point people at a flag in a man page, doubly so if it's portable from Linux.
Doesn't look like there's a select-equivalent for sysctls, so it looks like it'd be more work than it's probably worth.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

That's already how I follow logs, yes - it just seemed like it'd be nice to point people at a flag in a man page, doubly so if it's portable from Linux.
Doesn't look like there's a select-equivalent for sysctls, so it looks like it'd be more work than it's probably worth.
Well, dmesg itself is also different - you can't just pipe it to tail.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Well, dmesg itself is also different - you can't just pipe it to tail.

What do you mean? In the most literal sense, that works fine if you just want to see the messages about the last USB device you plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

oh drat, something interesting happened. i popped my thumb drive in with the drivers, and it didn't see the drivers or files i put on there recently. it saw some deleted files, some old business stuff. i think i quick formatted it? i didn't know that could happen. i recovered deleted files by accident. that would be a good way to hide things in plain sight, by having a drive with data on two file systems that way. i think that's what caused it.

here it says TYPE MSDOS which is FAT and there it says TYPE FAT16. my new data is in fat32.