Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not a great line because decommissioning our silos would actually be a great way to save money.

Also a great way to see Senators and Representatives from the states they're located in have toddler-like hissy fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also a great way to see Senators and Representatives from the states they're located in have toddler-like hissy fits.

Their four representatives and eight senators. Power block right there.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s not even my final form.

I was gonna jokingly put up info on the message traffic just released on the new bonuses for reservists. Last year I resigned for uh… 10k? This year it’s 20k. Oops.

titties
May 10, 2012

For the reserves lol

I only got 10k enlistment bonus for active duty submarine service. Nice to see that the navy is at least outpacing inflation a little.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

titties posted:

For the reserves lol

I only got 10k enlistment bonus for active duty submarine service. Nice to see that the navy is at least outpacing inflation a little.

Navy offered me 30k to enlist as a nuke in 2002.

titties
May 10, 2012

McNally posted:

Navy offered me 30k to enlist as a nuke in 2002.

Dang. That's what i get for enlisting before 9/11 i guess.

Alternatively sonar techs just don't command the same respect as nukes. Makes sense as its well known that sonar is a negligible part of subsurface operations

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Their four representatives and eight senators. Power block right there.

All it takes is one senator with an axe to grind to jam their committees up and stall a ton of poo poo.

titties posted:

Alternatively sonar techs just don't command the same respect as nukes. Makes sense as its well known that sonar is a negligible part of subsurface operations

While I know the "Jonesy" stuff with studio monitors has yielded to ever more sophisticated and expensive computer analysis, I do wonder if all the kiddies listenin' to their eye-podders with the Napster means no one's got good ears anymore.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 20, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

titties posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa.

Everyone knows the only reason we even HAVE nukes is to push my sphere and pull my array.

"Push my sphere, pull my array"is also the title of my sex tape with your mom

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lol, I got a $16k bonus for volunteering to go on a 3 month NATO deployment in the med during my conscript year (2004-2005). And got paid a bunch more on top of conscript pay for the time we spent in zone as well.

Didn't even get shot at.

10/10 would go again.

titties
May 10, 2012

She told me it was called "EMERGENCY BLOW" because of how quick you evacuated your tanks

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

That’s not even my final form.

I was gonna jokingly put up info on the message traffic just released on the new bonuses for reservists. Last year I resigned for uh… 10k? This year it’s 20k. Oops.

You can re-enlist again to get the bigger bonus. They'll just do a bit of math to figure out your new one-time and anniversary sums. Check the Reserve N115 page....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You can re-enlist again to get the bigger bonus. They'll just do a bit of math to figure out your new one-time and anniversary sums. Check the Reserve N115 page....

Holy poo poo thanks!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

Holy poo poo thanks!

jesus tap dancing mother horking christ on a cracker

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

jesus tap dancing mother horking christ on a cracker

crab dad about to buy a new truck

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i could have had a max bonus if had had reenlisted

30k that gets double taxed

lol lmao

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

crab dad about to buy a new truck

Seriously though we want to trade in our Honda pilot for step up in engine size to make hauling our 19ft trailer trivial on mountains because we want to do Yellowstone next summer. So far it’s either an Expedition or Tahoe. I took a quick look at Sequoias but they are basically unavailable.
Wife is requesting seating for 6 adults so a basic truck is out.

The tahoe with the diesel option looks pretty dope. Never owned a GMC vehicle though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Seriously though we want to trade in our Honda pilot for step up in engine size to make hauling our 19ft trailer trivial on mountains because we want to do Yellowstone next summer. So far it’s either an Expedition or Tahoe. I took a quick look at Sequoias but they are basically unavailable.

The tahoe with the diesel option looks pretty dope. Never owned a GMC vehicle though.

I mean if you were already obligated for that amount of reserve time, get your bread.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

Holy poo poo thanks!

I was supposed to use my CCC powers for good.... and here I am enabling a Crab Dad to buy a pickup truck.

Buy a Porsche Cayenne with that money. It's a better tow vehicle.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I was supposed to use my CCC powers for good.... and here I am enabling a Crab Dad to buy a pickup truck.

Crab Wife wants 6 adults to fit in it and you're not going to fit 6 adults in a Cayenne.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Crab Wife wants 6 adults to fit in it and you're not going to fit 6 adults in a Cayenne.

Yeah we live next to our inlaws and we like to do family day trips in the same car.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

I had some problems with my tahoe but I believe in Crab Dad luck so you should get a tahoe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

we live next to our inlaws

السلام عليكم

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

titties posted:

Safety of ship? Never heard of her!

~boops DDG on nose~

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The bow of a submarine is not ideal as a terrain discovery device.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lightpole, is it still possible to get Chief Engineer Sail Propelled Vessel?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Would that entail being the dude downstairs with the non-existing boilers and drive shafts? Because that sounds like a hell of a cushy job.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mates go off tonnage, engineers go off HP so it would depend on the HP of the propulsion plant. >4k HP you can get unlimited <4k HP you get some sort of limited but I'm not sure of the specifics cause I dont deal with anything that small.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

And an oddly good sweeper vehicle too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

The bow of a submarine is not ideal as a terrain discovery device.

You go to sea with the navy you have, not the navy you want.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It’d be motor. Deck officers can get sail endorsements, but it’s not super common.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crab Dad posted:

As someone with a diesel Colorado, just know that everything you do with your vehicle is going to be more expensive. Fuel prices, oil changes, DEF, etc all add up to it costing more to keep on the road.

I get a poo poo ton more range out of my truck that helps when I am in the middle of nowhere and it’ll tow a camper with no problems at all. I’d look at how much def whatever vehicle you are looking at will chew through under load though because that’ll start to get expensive too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One of my old shippies got a tattoo.

I'm gonna guess it's one of the several dudes with 22 tattooed on their rear end.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

One of my old shippies got a tattoo.

I'm gonna guess it's one of the several dudes with 22 tattooed on their rear end.

That’s baller.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

As someone with a diesel Colorado, just know that everything you do with your vehicle is going to be more expensive. Fuel prices, oil changes, DEF, etc all add up to it costing more to keep on the road.

I get a poo poo ton more range out of my truck that helps when I am in the middle of nowhere and it’ll tow a camper with no problems at all. I’d look at how much def whatever vehicle you are looking at will chew through under load though because that’ll start to get expensive too.

lot of morons do the EGR and DEF delete and just roll coal

Is it legal? hell no, but that doesn't stop them

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

I can't talk to diesels, but gas Tahoes (and Suburbans at that) are known to have their transmissions just poo poo the bed after 50,000 miles. Soooooo...
They're certainly nice before that, though.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Diesel Tahoes require less maintenance and have lower depreciation than their gas counterparts, it more than makes up for the DEF cost when you look at total cost of ownership.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I can't talk to diesels, but gas Tahoes (and Suburbans at that) are known to have their transmissions just poo poo the bed after 50,000 miles. Soooooo...

So lease one at best hrm…

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Can't go wrong with Honda, though, I've been driving the same 2006 Accord I bought in Pensacola with 230,000 miles on it and it's still chugging. True I'm using zip ties and duct tape to keep the front bumper held on, but she still keeps rolling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

AlternateNu posted:

I had a Tahoe go through three fuel pumps in 16 months around 68k, my Silverado managed to throw a rod at 70k, my Impala dropped a speed sensor then the transmission at 56k