Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Slotducks posted:

did you bilk billions from the taxpayers via government subsidies before/during/afterwards??

SpaceX is by far the cheapest method to do what NASA wants. You can argue we shouldn't be funding space exploration, but we are, and it's not really bilking if you're chosen because you're the cheapest. You want to talk bilking, look at Boeing and ULA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

big nipples big life posted:

nasa had nazi scientists, space x just has one as an owner.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'd argue NASA is far, far more transparent, because legally they have to be. SpaceX is more visible, not more transparent.

you're right. transparent was the wrong word.

CommieGIR posted:

SLS has already proven itself, and NASA tests more thoroughly than SpaceX. But regardless - NASA already plans to set aside SLS. Its not likely to be used long term anyways.

this is not wrong but remember that funding can be pulled at any time. and a big price tag makes it easier to justiify. america put away fully constructed saturn 5s instead of flying them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ColdPie posted:

SpaceX is by far the cheapest method to do what NASA wants. You can argue we shouldn't be funding space exploration, but we are, and it's not really bilking if you're chosen because you're the cheapest. You want to talk bilking, look at Boeing and ULA.

Well to be fair: NASA didn't have to blow up a SLS to prove it worked. They chose to take a far less risky, maybe more expensive, course to test and finalize rocket design. And SLS flew and completed its mission.

Yes, its more expensive - but when you are building a system to carry human beings, you do not go cheap for the sake of being cheap.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this is not wrong but remember that funding can be pulled at any time. and a big price tag makes it easier to justiify. america put away fully constructed saturn 5s instead of flying them

SLS will fly again, the next one is already being assembled, but long term NASA is betting on Starship at least as a heavy lift platform.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2023

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

"I'm in awe at how much debris flew at me and destroyed a car, congrats Elon on your continued success!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

long term NASA is betting on Starship at least as a heavy lift platform.

Our space program is sooooo hosed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How many people at SpaceX do you think told Elon this exact mess would happen, and how to prevent it, only to be ignored and/or fired?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Well to be fair: NASA didn't have to blow up a SLS to prove it worked. They chose to take a far less risky, maybe more expensive, course to test and finalize rocket design. And SLS flew and completed its mission.

Yes, its more expensive - but when you are building a system to carry human beings, you do not go cheap for the sake of being cheap.

SLS will fly again, the next one is already being assembled, but long term NASA is betting on Starship at least as a heavy lift platform.

sure, at least 1 more time. but is that what the us paid a fuckin grip for, a couple dozen bil for 2 launches of a very well tested rocket? then on to spacex? will block 2 ever fly? i hope so but i dunno. even the 5 planned launches aren't certain, in my mind

e: getting too far off topic. don't want to seem like i'm too critical of SLS, i just worry about the future of competitive space flight and todays successful launch of starship reminded me of that fear

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 20, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Our space program is sooooo hosed

SpaceX will likely debug and fly Starship, but I'm not too worried, its likely other launch operators will continue to build and launch rockets or will arise to compete with SpaceX.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How many people at SpaceX do you think told Elon this exact mess would happen, and how to prevent it, only to be ignored and/or fired?

Lets be honest: He gutted Twitter's teams and is trying to build a "Moderate" (read - More Right Wing) AI because he thinks current Machine Learning is too Leftist.

So yes, he's likely fired a couple people who questioned him.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So about those legacy checkmarks

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

kazil posted:

When are the checkmarks going away Elon??

He's too scared to actually do it and "legacies" are calling his bluff so he's just going to keep saying "WE'RE DEFINITELY GETTING RID OF LEGACY CHECKMARKS THIS TIME" every three months to try to sucker people in.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1649066347928641541

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you don't think world's first flying grain silo is a success, I don't know what to tell you

Or is spaceship actually a water tower? I forget

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the boca chica launch facility is in very bad shape. even a lot of pro-spacex observers thought a flame trench was needed. not really likely the government is going to be ok with spreading particulate matter and concrete all over federally protected wetlands during every launch.

this will probably set back starship development for many months, at least as of now there is no alternative pad it can launch from. a flame trench would take a very long time to build and permit. whether or not the launch provided valuable data, the launch infrastructure damage is a catastrophic & very expensive failure.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

the boca chica launch facility is in very bad shape. even a lot of observers thought a flame trench was needed. not really likely the government is going to be ok with spreading particulate matter and concrete all over federally protected wetlands during every launch.

this will probably set back starship development for many months, at least as of now there is no alternative pad it can launch from. a flame trench would take a very long time to build and permit. whether or not the launch provided valuable data, the launch infrastructure damage is a catastrophic & very expensive failure.

yeah the damage to the launch facility is a big setback despite the success of the launch. iirc there's something about the aquifer/water table being too close to the surface to properly build a proper blast diverter. boca chica probably wasn't the best place to build a super heavy launch facility

e: yeah that's it. the space thread is talking about it now

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 20, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How unfortunate, now what children’s fantasy will we waste money on next

Flying cars I guess

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Concerned Citizen posted:

the boca chica launch facility is in very bad shape. even a lot of pro-spacex observers thought a flame trench was needed. not really likely the government is going to be ok with spreading particulate matter and concrete all over federally protected wetlands during every launch.

An Elon Musk company skimps on basic infrastructure and it comes back to bite their rear end? This is unprecedented.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

How unfortunate, now what children’s fantasy will we waste money on next

Flying cars I guess

It's pretty clear that his next big project is artificial intelligence that can spew racial slurs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

yeah the damage to the launch facility is a big setback despite the success of the launch. iirc there's something about the aquifer/water table being too close to the surface to properly build a proper blast diverter. boca chica probably wasn't the best place to build a super heavy launch facility

Destroyed launch facility, destroyed Starship, big success for SpaceX and Elon Musk because now they know what not to do you see!!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Underwhelmed posted:

Musk already hard at work on Kerbal Kimbal Space Program 3

FTFY

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol checks are disappearing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah they should've built like the launch facilities at Cape Canaveral, where they build up the launch pads because they have largely the same water table issues.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Is not building proper infrastructure part of creative accounting to get the cost of the rocket down?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol

e:

gonna guess elon is making exceptions for certain accounts

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol did they bitch out or is it a bug where it's showing unremoved checks as elon simps?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

It's pretty clear that his next big project is artificial intelligence that can spew racial slurs.

I like how regressives are mad about AI because they asked it a fanfic question of "what if a nuke has a password and its the nword?"

(also never mind the reverse of the question, what if the password is "who won the 2020 prez?" or any other non regressive gotchas.)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol checks are coming back, showing up verified then paid, lots of crashing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

big nipples big life posted:

lol did they bitch out or is it a bug where it's showing unremoved checks as elon simps?

I could see Elon telling someone to give them those as a humiliating own

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

davidspackage posted:

I could see Elon telling someone to give them those as a humiliating own

That would be kind of funny though so there's no way he would come up with it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

he just...changed the text??

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Oh my God, they are just glitching in and out of existence right now. I was just one on Twitter page and watched them appear and reappear as I scrolled around.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
LeBron James still has a check and it says its because he paid, which is a lie. So is Elon paying for his checkmark?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pretty sure he's giving certain celebrities free Twitter Blue

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

There's no way King would actually pay after publicly poo poo talking the service so much. Why would he hit his own rep like that?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dirk the Average posted:

Is that a dude in a body suit? I've only seen this clip, but it looks like the damned thing is mounted to a pole, so it's not like it needs to be a person; the hard part is getting the robot to balance, and being mounted on a pole negates that entirely. Hook up a few motors to move the limbs around, program in a little routine, and it's not exactly difficult to get it to move. It would take some time, but a few competent engineers could put that together surprisingly quickly.

My point is that it's not impressive even if you take it at face value - animatronics have been around since apparently 1939, and this is a particularly low quality version of one.

The way they expressed it was confusing: previously, they did a lovely bodysuit thing onstage. The thing pictured was not the bodysuit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

An Elon Musk company skimps on basic infrastructure and it comes back to bite their rear end? This is unprecedented.

No, the rocket performed as expected. How were they to know the onboard AI would see a small bird and treat it like a child?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Mark Hamil and the Eve6 guy both lost their checks. The moron actually did it on the weed number day.

He's almost certainly given Lebron and King paid checks as some kind of sick own.

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1649116505181917184?s=20

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
RonPaul-ItsHappening.gif

definitely loving it up in wonderfully creative ways. Are they doing them all manually or do you think he made some poor engineer cobble together a lovely script to do it? Somehow I doubt anyone had the foresight to make it a one-click operation when this was originally made.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ben shapino posted:

Lmao

Elon Musk’s dad Errol says he can ‘prove’ existence of emerald mine in new bombshell claim revealing its location

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7911051/elon-musks-dad-errol-emerald-business/

Lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
10 mins ago when I started catching up on the 180 new posts in this thread, my tick was still there. By the time I reached the end of the thread it was gone. All the legacy blues I follow are currently all celebrating the loss of their verified status. Not seen anyone crying about it, only relief that its gone.

E: this is legitimately hilarious:

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1649115090795257857?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

Imagine being so petty you take the pope's blue tick away.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 20, 2023