Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Burned through Misericorde in a couple of evenings, really liked it. Right there with the protagonist desperately struggling to figure out everything these characters aren't saying. Don't know whether the dev has actually read Higurashi or Umineko (chapter breaks sure feel similar) but Hedwig's carrying some very familiar "world's most credulous detective" energy. Not that she doesn't have a good excuse for it.

Speculation: Saw Snooze mention the maybe thematic weight of the sword on the last page, wonder if there's anything to Moira being the only one to struggle with it. She's too nice! :tinfoil:

I'd skimmed a little of the post about the extra image in the gallery so I knew it was there but it still made me jump. Visual novels are better at spooking me than any other kind of game. You never expect a book to jumpscare you.

Also I just thought this shot looked great

Anyway love the nuns, looking forward to part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dev retweets Flo's When They Cry meme videos pretty regularly. I think the WTC influence is most clear in the bonus scene, everything about it feels vintage DRAGONKNIGHT7.

e:
its going to be hard to wait for volume 2 when they keep putting out tracks that will be in it in the future >.<
https://twitter.com/MisericordeVn/status/1647380159706841089

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 16, 2023

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
On the devs podcast they regularly reference WTC, especially Umineko. A few years back they did a thing in the patreon exclusive episodes where they talked about their feelings on the series during a reread, and later talked a bunch about Higurashi Gou

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I finished Process of Elimination. I thought it was a decent VN to experience. I found that I really enjoyed all of the characters, even if they all adhered to some very, very familiar anime/VN archetypes. Like the snarky little girl, or the overly zealous big guy idiot, or the brilliant-yet-psycho detective with bizarre ethics who really shouldn't have been allowed out of jail. They are all a bunch of fun characters.

I did find myself let down by the game play sections. During the investigation phase, you maneuver the various detectives around the map, getting them to inspect suspicious areas and find clues, all within a time limit. It starts off easy enough. But starting in chapter 2, traps that cause instant losses appear. They aren't too bad at first, just get rid of them before the ai-controlled characters stupidly walk to their death. But one chapter in particular sends out numerous invisible moving traps at you, and it's really easy to die to those if you made a bad move in an earlier turn. Just a needlessly frustrating aspect.

Also there was big time gap between me playing the demo and playing the full game, so I forgot about an important skill that would have made things way easier for me. Basically, characters can move anywhere on the map, regardless of their movement limit, at the expense of being able to take another action that turn. The game didn't keep track of that tutorial, so by the time I got the full game and jumped straight to chapter 2, I kept making mistakes because I didn't remember that ability. I wish the game had little QoL features like being able to access old tutorials whenever or being able to save in the middle of an investigation so I don't keep dying to the same instant death traps. Also the game crashed on me like three times. And this was during the VN sections, which shouldn't take that much processing power from a Switch, lol.

All in all, a fun mystery. I won't say it is the best of its genre compared to its contemporaries. But it does make for some cozy reading for a week.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
When I saw a video trying to explain the game aspects of Process of Elimination, I instantly lost all interest in the game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

At least we still have rain code coming up?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and the catboy detective game....

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
don't forget the NOVECT game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-MKBosBHn4

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Genuinely looking forward to bedtime every night so I can see what happens next in Misericorde. :dance:

Quick question, are there ever any actual inputs (any choices, choosing a suspect, etc) or is this pure Higurashi-style "just keep reading" sound novel? Please ignore this question if it leads to spoilers! I'm mostly just curious if there's multiple endings.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's a cat boy detective game?

man, and I know about at least another murder mystery anime game coming out where you have a sidekick and I can't remember the name of that game either

I should write down these games in a text file or something

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Read After Burning posted:

Genuinely looking forward to bedtime every night so I can see what happens next in Misericorde. :dance:

Quick question, are there ever any actual inputs (any choices, choosing a suspect, etc) or is this pure Higurashi-style "just keep reading" sound novel? Please ignore this question if it leads to spoilers! I'm mostly just curious if there's multiple endings.

Nothing so far, and I imagine if later volumes do have anything it would just be in the minigame style and not have actual input.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it would be interesting to make a detective/mystery thread, i mean it would have a ton of overlap with here already but you do have a bunch of adventure game stuff as well and a few rpg style things

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ymgve posted:

When I saw a video trying to explain the game aspects of Process of Elimination, I instantly lost all interest in the game

It's just an SRPG but you're investigating stuff instead of hitting it with a sword

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Meowywitch posted:

There's a cat boy detective game?

man, and I know about at least another murder mystery anime game coming out where you have a sidekick and I can't remember the name of that game either

I should write down these games in a text file or something

Decapolice, by Level 5, op

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Finished volume 1 of Misericorde and in the most positive way, what the gently caress?

Don't think I didn't notice (post-vol1 spoilers) the nameplate randomly going back to "???" during the hidden scene, game!! :colbert:

God, that was really good. I still got theories and thoughts of no particular order. All end of Vol 1, obv:

I think we still don't know how Catherine actually died? Eustace says she had other wounds and evidence she fought back, but doesn't specify what the wounds were.

There's a lot of subtle and fast references about which parts of the abbey are accessible and when, which on top of an explicit mention of how the layout is slightly different than normal makes me think I needed more notes and another re-read.

I'm still not convinced Catherine was the voice at the squint. I know the copy of Medea is pretty good evidence in favor, but still. It could still be a commission from another sister. Or something.

Hedwig is such a mess I love her she's terrible

Darcy is perfect I love her she's wonderful

Unfortunately Darcy is one of the people I'm most suspicious of, second only to Moira. Look, one of them is lying about having goats from which they got goat cheese!! It's such a weird thing for either of them to lie about, but probably more weird from Darcy since she takes care of every other goddamn animal in the place. I suppose she has a motive in hiding Eustace's prank, but I also don't think she'd take kindly to one being killed or even pretend killed for a prank. Darcy is also the one that found the bloody cloak/tunic(?) but that doesn't necessitate malice; someone could have planted it at any time.

On the other hand, Moira lying about where she got goat cheese makes sense if she's covering for more outside interaction than she's letting on. She's also just too nice, I don't trust her!

Eustace grew on me. It's interesting that she specifically freaked out at Hedwig when she brought up the hospitalum having a dungeon. Which *is* a pretty fair question, actually. Again, the whole build of the place is weird, but also too old to be a recent conspiracy.

Are we supposed to pretend Angela is not either pregnant or hiding something under her robes and also an assassin?

Katherine and whatshisface have alibis for each other, as do Soup and Angela. Both stories are pretty believable, and Soup has negative motive for letting Hedwig out if she's an accomplice. Not enough to rule any of the four out definitively, but solid enough to suspect the rest first.

I think the old gals are gal pals :kimchi:

Seriously y'all locked up a ten year old for life that's messed up, 1400s!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tudabee posted:

I'm still not convinced Catherine was the voice at the squint. I know the copy of Medea is pretty good evidence in favor, but still. It could still be a commission from another sister. Or something.

Yeah this is one I thought about before but I do think the evidence doesn't lean that way. Everything we have learn about Catherine does match the voice at the squint's personality and behavior, and with her being the one that got assign to pass on prayers it would make sense why she showing interest in Hedwig when she hadn't before. There just isn't anyone we have met so far in the monastery that matches the voice's personality otherwise, unless if they were putting down their front when talking to Hedwig then. That leaves the possibility of someone we haven't met yet more officially, i.e little old me, but the voice did said they deliver Christmas diner last year.

But it could be an interesting plot beat, since it would further throw in question Hedwig's attachment to Catherine.

tudabee posted:

Hedwig is such a mess I love her she's terrible

Hedwig is the best. Every time they contrast her being outwardly meek while her inner monologue is being extremely judgemental its the funniest thing.

tudabee posted:

I think the old gals are gal pals :kimchi:

100%. I love that there are vibes everywhere but the closest to being confirm was those two.

tudabee posted:

Seriously y'all locked up a ten year old for life that's messed up, 1400s!

I do think whatever is going on with Hedwig is suppose to be somewhat out of the norm. The Bishop is sus in general. This was something women applied to and Bishops would interview them to see if they were a good fit. Also there was a good chunk of finances to it, either you had a patron or the means to support yourself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

There are some general guesses at the larger mystery that are easy to make. Our mysterious prologue wannabe king is hiding at the monastery and Scooby Doo poo poo is being done to keep this hidden. Hedwig's area is where he has been keeping low, since it doesn't get much foot traffic anyway. This could lead one to believe Catherine is killed because she ends up discovering this because of her more frequent trips. This is obviously a red herring but still sets some stakes. Also leads one to wonder why the bishop allows the investigation if he knows what is going on in this front.

I did some double checking for this. The recommendation is to visit the monastery in December, Hedwig is released mid November (Catherine's last visit was Samhain). I guess they could have arrive earlier but I think this version of the theory is dead timeline wise. But hey maybe this means littleoldme is going to show up coincidentally in December.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

it would be interesting to make a detective/mystery thread, i mean it would have a ton of overlap with here already but you do have a bunch of adventure game stuff as well and a few rpg style things
There's obviously a lot of overlap but it could be good. Games like Dangan Ronpa and Somnium get a reasonable amount of interest from people who wouldn't be interested in the VN thread proper.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What’s this hidden scene in Misericorde people keep mentioning? I don’t think I’ve seen it and I’ve finished the game (or have I?).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
frankly I dont think we have enough murder mysteries coming out to make a thread but idk :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

theblackw0lf posted:

What’s this hidden scene in Misericorde people keep mentioning? I don’t think I’ve seen it and I’ve finished the game (or have I?).

Check the gallery. There is a CG that shouldn't be there.

Tired Moritz posted:

frankly I dont think we have enough murder mysteries coming out to make a thread but idk :(

I mean there is a ton of older stuff too that could be fun to talk about. Maybe I'll start working on it.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 18, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I've considered making an ontological mystery/survival game thread before but was mostly unsure where to put it since I wouldn't be limiting it to just games/VNs :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fwiw The Portopia Serial Murder Case was recently trademarked in a couple of places outside Japan so that's one more mystery game for the pile

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Fwiw The Portopia Serial Murder Case was recently trademarked in a couple of places outside Japan so that's one more mystery game for the pile

Got that confused with Popolocrois for a second resulting in extreme confusion on my part.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Don't think I'll be able to splurge on games for a little while yet, but Misericorde's making a pretty strong argument to climb to the top of my list. I might get it along with Butterfly Soup 2.

One question that won't really dampen my interest in the game either way: I know this is supposed to be a period piece - do the characters speak in a modern fashion, or do they speak in an "old timey" way? As an ESL speaker I can find dialog in older settings hard to parse at times, but there's also cases like Pentiment where the writers reached a pretty good middle point of the characters speaking in a way that felt very authentic to their era (around the same time period as Misericorde, I think?) while also being fully understandable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is attention to historical accuracy but in general, including dialogue, the game is more modern feeling than Pentiment.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/MisericordeVn/status/1648220544939196417?s=20

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its angela, of course she is standing like that. she is a hashtag icon.

e: probably the thing i am most excited to see in volume 2 is more of the hedwig and angela "pact" in action.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 19, 2023

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Oh. OH. What I thought was a belly is just her hips. For some reason I parsed her veil as part of her gown. Well no wonder nobody in the story commented on it! :v:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and the catboy detective game....

It looks like its just a normal JRPG and there is no actually detective related mechanics, and the entire thing is a VR simulation too for some reason.

Its not a VN but the Frogware reboot of their Sherlock Holmes stuff is good.

I'm playing Chaos Head Noah and its interesting how much of a product of a time it is. its a snapshot of the internet culture of the late 2000s.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In the unlikely event anyone was still waiting Fatal Twelve just got an EU PS4 release. Might be a record delay?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This post has reminded me I still need to play Norco, as

https://twitter.com/Jon_Densetsu/status/1647357479695835144?cxt=HHwWkIDTtcq5y9wtAAAA

I enjoyed/am currently enjoying those other games!

Speaking of, what/how is Chicken Police? It looks cheesy as hell, and I mean this as a compliment.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
NORCO was great, doesn't fit the thread since its not a VN, but people should check it out if a science fiction southern gothic adventure game sounds like it would appeal to them. Not my favorite narrative game of last year but it really stuck with me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Misericorde last night: so I got to the, uh, late-night "prank" (Knight-type person beheading a goat and then disappearing) :stare: I'm going to briefly replay the chapter though, as I want to take note of who was (allegedly) where while this was popping off.

I love mystery games/VNs so much, y'all. :kiddo:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Misericorde last night: so I got to the, uh, late-night "prank" (Knight-type person beheading a goat and then disappearing) :stare: I'm going to briefly replay the chapter though, as I want to take note of who was (allegedly) where while this was popping off.

I love mystery games/VNs so much, y'all. :kiddo:

So glad I went back to check, as I just noticed that Margaret is the only one of the nuns that emerged from their rooms with her regular outfit on, not PJs. Also wondering if Marta and Charity not stepping outside at the same time as the others that were supposedly in the misericorde room together is important

Red herrings or important? :confused: I must know!

Hmm, Darcy mentions that a farmer dude or somebody we haven't met yet lives nearby...so another possible unaccounted-for person on the night of the "prank",

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 21, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm trying to play Misericorde on a steam deck and it's working OK for the most part but sometimes it just freezes up at random spots where I can maybe move the mouse cursor by touching the screen but otherwise can't get any buttons to register.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Nate RFB posted:

I'm trying to play Misericorde on a steam deck and it's working OK for the most part but sometimes it just freezes up at random spots where I can maybe move the mouse cursor by touching the screen but otherwise can't get any buttons to register.

I found that switching to a steam control template that didn't have any controller-style inputs set up improved things. I've got one derived from the "mouse only" template that I tend to use for visual novels (it implements default ren'py button mappings).

I think what happens with misericorde is that steam hands it a controller and the engine detects a controller and tries to give you controller-style controls, but it's a bit goofy in the detection and goes weird.

Switching to "mouse only" then binding the A button to do return should keep the game in the normal "no controller" mode which I found a bit more reliable.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Juts finished Misericorde, loving it so far.

Any idea what's written on Catherine's sword? a cursory search didn't bring it up.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Around 29. Age requirements were lower, but not that low yeah. But also something to keep in mind is that parents would send off kids to monasteries earlier to be oblates, and later they would take the vows.
I got the impression Hedwig got orphaned and somehow sent to the monastery as a consequence, since when they talk about her childhood memories IIRC they mention she attended a funeral service the bishop gave. But you're definitely led to think she was 9 or 10 when she took her vows. Also I wonder if there's a parallel with Katherine's situation, with Hedwig potentially having been removed from some inheritance by her remaining relatives.

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 22, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chev posted:

Any idea what's written on Catherine's sword? a cursory search didn't bring it up.

I got the impression Hedwig got orphaned and somehow sent to the monastery as a consequence, since when they talk about her childhood memories IIRC they mention she attended a funeral service the bishop gave. But you're definitely led to think she was 9 or 10 when she took her vows. Also I wonder if there's a parallel with Katherine's situation, with Hedwig potentially having been removed from some inheritance by her remaining relatives.

Oh yeah, I was speaking in general to demonstrate just how odd Hedwig's stuff is because it seems out of the norm even for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Chev posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urim_and_Thummim :iiam:

for ref

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 22, 2023