Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the Saturn V never failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

cspam explodes at midnight

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

punished milkman posted:

do they have a backup? Lmao

Maybe the Russians will rent one of theirs for a weekend?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the rocket plum gave out

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm being told that actually musk INTENDED to poo poo his pants for all the DATA

Accelerating the development of X, the everything diaper.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/badtimewfriends/status/1649086087783129096?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like how the announcers said nothing as it clearly did a loop de loop then when it appeared to stabilize “and we’re back on track”

Yeah that’s how rockets work.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

cspam explodes at midnight

god willing

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Amazing to see it get so far on its first launch!

Considering just how radically large a step change in capabilities Starship-Superheavy represents, all while being a wholly reusable launch vehicle and spacecraft system, this truly was a phenomenal accomplishment.

It successfully lit its engines, didn’t nuke the pad and launch complex, lifted off, passed through Max-Q, flew a (mostly) nominal launch profile, handled multiple engine-out events, and made it to stage separation before going completely off-nominal. Even then, the 120 metre-tall Starship-Superheavy consist was able to remain intact as it began to cartwheel before the flight termination system was likely used to end the mission.

And to keep things in perspective, too, we all just witnessed by far the most powerful rocket ever built by humans fly for the first time. They’re going to figure this out and make it work. Of that I have no doubt.

Great day. So glad that I got to watch it live.

Do you understand that the failure was caused by an extremely simple launchpad design mistake? In order to "figure this out and make it work", they'll have to start by Not loving Up the Easy Part.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

Do you understand that the failure was caused by an extremely simple launchpad design mistake? In order to "figure this out and make it work", they'll have to start by Not loving Up the Easy Part.

A lot of stuff went wrong this time, but in some ways that's actually way better than if only one or two things had gone wrong. Launch pad durability, engine reliability, the stage separation system; those are all things that can now be worked on in parallel, whereas if just one thing had lead to the loss of the vehicle they'd need to wait until the next launch to learn about all the other potential issues. This is pretty much exactly what you want out of a test. (Everything going perfectly would obviously be even better, but that would also be way too much to expect out of the first ever test of a first-of-its-kind launch system like this IMO.)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

I like how the announcers said nothing as it clearly did a loop de loop then when it appeared to stabilize “and we’re back on track”

Yeah that’s how rockets work.

I've gotten rockets to space in kerbal with multiple loop de loops

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

A lot of stuff went wrong this time, but in some ways that's actually way better than if only one or two things had gone wrong. Launch pad durability, engine reliability, the stage separation system; those are all things that can now be worked on in parallel, whereas if just one thing had lead to the loss of the vehicle they'd need to wait until the next launch to learn about all the other potential issues. This is pretty much exactly what you want out of a test. (Everything going perfectly would obviously be even better, but that would also be way too much to expect out of the first ever test of a first-of-its-kind launch system like this IMO.)

I didn’t realize that lots of things all being so poorly designed and manufactured that they all simultaneously failed was good, actually.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

(Everything going perfectly would obviously be even better, but that would also be way too much to expect out of the first ever test of a first-of-its-kind launch system like this IMO.)

It's not too much to expect for a launchpad to have diversion tunneling because that exact problem showed up in heavy-lift rockets more than 50 years ago, and that exact problem was solved in the same way that SpaceX will now have to solve it.

That's not even rocket science. It's been basic engineering in the field for decades.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
please do not encourage bazinga faux posting by responding to it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
next time they should build a rocket where nothing fails instead of lots of things. I’ll take my consulting check in normal dollars thanks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LegoMan posted:

damnit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

It's not too much to expect for a launchpad to have diversion tunneling because that exact problem showed up in heavy-lift rockets more than 50 years ago, and that exact problem was solved in the same way that SpaceX will now have to solve it.

That's not even rocket science. It's been basic engineering in the field for decades.

Long term: Yes.
Short term: hybrid approach. I think the launch mount is find as is. Seems to be in great shape from a structural standpoint.
They will definitely need to come up with a solution not to completely blast away the concrete every attempt.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LegoMan posted:

please, they’re all real posts from reddit

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Trabisnikof posted:

careful. That's how they got catpetter

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

how dare you. I have hypertension

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Kim_Sirius/status/1649102123911594002?t=aSJQ2DAvr4VkeApydaV14A&s=19

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Elon cannot fail he can only be failed

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Lmao that they didn't build a water deluge system. On Spacex's stream, there was a bunch of debris flying up and to the sides when it launched. That probably killed a few of the engines. Later on you could also see one or two engines fail in flight. It's possible debris also damaged the gimballing system to the point where the rocket couldn't steer itself so it just tumbled wildly before they pulled the plug and blew it up.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rookie mistake: Elon put his lesser known brother Kerbal Musk in charge of the launch

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

eXXon posted:

"gonna be"

as long as someone is still collecting the garbage, it can get worse

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

christ I wish complete strangers would do impossible mental gymnastics in my defense every time I gently caress up hardcore

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rocket launch like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The checks are gone!!!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

shyduck posted:

The checks are gone!!!

was about to post this but had to search the thread in case someone else posted it first

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/halleberry/status/1648869732148301824
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1649117132389511169

lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1649118268089671682?s=20

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/1649100449889542145

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1649070516215459841

Everyone that knows Elon hates his guts, including his own weirdo father.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shyduck posted:

HOW DID THEY NOT BUILD A DIVERSION TUNNEL

HE OWNS A COMPANY THAT BUILDS TUNNELS

looks like the land is sitting right at the water table

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Rocketships to nowhere

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

perfect

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

no it shouldve waited 18 more seconds before exploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If they float a fire truck using a high altitude weather balloon and put Tesla FSD into the SpaceX rocket it’ll fly in a direct path towards space instead of spinning out like that bing bong so simple