Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still trying to decide if I like this show or not 4 episodes in, though I'm leaning towards not. Tonally it's just very strange, all of the characters have such a cartoonish unreality to them that I was convinced the first episode was a dream sequence until it became clear that wasn't what they were going for.

This is exactly what my wife and I said. It takes place on some alternate planet where the people look and act human but high school lasts until you're 25. It's not surreal, it's just alien in some nebulous (but unoffensive) way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jolo posted:

As someone who doesn't watch the show, it has been funny seeing people on Twitter post clips from it like: "I can't believe they did this!" and the clip is someone closing a laptop or leaning back in a chair.

I'm sure there's context if you're familiar with the show but as an outsider it's been pretty funny.

An example:
https://twitter.com/succession/status/1647781971379253249?t=c6KXbnaRwdUcYUZK3SAnFQ&s=19

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Glottis posted:

For anyone else that finished Hello Tomorrow!, was it at all jarring to anyone else that not only is a character's hand brutally disintegrated in a toaster, but they functionally send an entire cabin of people off to their deaths at the end? I thought the inciting incident in episode 1 of the truck backing into whatsherface was weirdly more violent than everything else, but it kinda jumped up in that area.

My bet is that there is something on the moon from Jack's dad's previous attempt. There are too many important characters on it for them all to die. Honestly, something isn't quite clicking for the show with me. I think I'm more intrigued by the idea of getting the lunar base to work than exploring the grift aspect of it when the show is the exact opposite. I also think the opening had a type of humor that is mostly lacking for the rest of the show except for very brief moments like the toaster that is capable of disintegrating a person's hand for some reason. It feels like it barely uses the setting, and it could be a period piece where Jack is trying to sell land on a hard to reach tropical island instead.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
lol the love is blind live reunion show delay debacle

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

lol the love is blind live reunion show delay debacle

Why did this happen?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_y2j72Cfe4

Just saw this trailer today, this is based on a god like manga about wine and this adaptation looks really good!!! If you enjoy wine at all you'll probably really get a kick out of it. I just got into wine and reading the manga was super fun and informative.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_y2j72Cfe4

Just saw this trailer today, this is based on a god like manga about wine and this adaptation looks really good!!! If you enjoy wine at all you'll probably really get a kick out of it. I just got into wine and reading the manga was super fun and informative.
I have to say this looks relatively promising as a live-action adapation of a manga

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I read a few volumes of that manga awhile ago and that's a really weird tone for that trailer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess they're also adapting the Silo series which I tried to read but found way too dark/depressing

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

I guess they're also adapting the Silo series which I tried to read but found way too dark/depressing

I think I posted the trailer here the other day. The books got good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYhuvIv1pA

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I think I posted the trailer here the other day. The books got good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYhuvIv1pA

You had me at Rebecca Ferguson.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why did this happen?

i have no idea. i just saw all my trash TV friends losing their mind when it was over an hour late to start

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really liked the Silo books and I really like Rebecca Ferguson, but I would keep your expectations low. I'm not sure the source material will make for interesting TV because it definitely is all about a mysterious scenario that the main character is trying to figure out, and while the characters are enjoyable, the show will have to add stuff to make a good series on screen.

Did we already mention in this thread that WB announced they are going to completely remake the entire Harry Potter book series over a 10 year span on Max? How lovely are the Fantastic Beasts movies doing if they've already moved to this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thinking of new stuff is hard, especially when people will happily lap up the same old poo poo over and over again, grunting in bliss the entire time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My wife was the biggest HP fan and she doesn’t even mention it any more. the fans are gone. We’ve moved on to dnd lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

I really liked the Silo books and I really like Rebecca Ferguson, but I would keep your expectations low. I'm not sure the source material will make for interesting TV because it definitely is all about a mysterious scenario that the main character is trying to figure out, and while the characters are enjoyable, the show will have to add stuff to make a good series on screen.

I agree. I've said this before, but Apple has been throwing a lot of money at their original shows to get big name stars and movie quality budgets in hopes of tricking people to think they're good. Silo looks like a big budget Hollywood film. But I've been disappointed by many Apple shows.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am loving Jury Duty. I am surprised there was hasn’t been more ‘Joe Schmo’ type shows.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A MIRACLE posted:

My wife was the biggest HP fan and she doesn’t even mention it any more. the fans are gone. We’ve moved on to dnd lol

People keep on claiming this, but this isn't true at all. Sure Fantastic Beasts didn't do well, but Harry Potter overall still does extremely well. The game sold well, and the books also sold very well in 2022. I imagine the show will do extremely well too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Glottis posted:

I'm not sure the source material will make for interesting TV because it definitely is all about a mysterious scenario that the main character is trying to figure out, and while the characters are enjoyable,

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Glottis posted:

For anyone else that finished Hello Tomorrow!, was it at all jarring to anyone else that not only is a character's hand brutally disintegrated in a toaster, but they functionally send an entire cabin of people off to their deaths at the end? I thought the inciting incident in episode 1 of the truck backing into whatsherface was weirdly more violent than everything else, but it kinda jumped up in that area.

I think the rocket situation is a bit more complicated. It was mostly unintentional, Karolina from Succession seems to think they'll eventually get back to Earth after a long period of cutting through red tape, while the others seem to think they'll be able to get them back earlier. The finale(?) also mentions moon mines, so I suspect they're more likely to get forced into slavery. Which isn't good, at all, but it's not straight up death.

If the show gets renewed, they'll definitely follow through on the rocket characters, with the characters on earth attempting to get them back.

Both of the rocket and the hand plots are the show trying to make a karmic point about the idiocy of magical thinking, and letting yourself be exploited by your own magical thinking. e.g. the slaseman who loses a hand has a whole "system" for his gambling, that's ultimately just an imaginary safety net that grants his risk taking actions an undeserved legitimacy, and anyone who got on that rocket was ignoring multiple warning signs -- and even an explicit safety precautions re: the jackets -- to pursue an unlikely dream. They wanted to be fooled.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still trying to decide if I like this show or not 4 episodes in, though I'm leaning towards not. Tonally it's just very strange, all of the characters have such a cartoonish unreality to them that I was convinced the first episode was a dream sequence until it became clear that wasn't what they were going for.

Yeah, same. I was drawn in by the first episode but the second and third had lots of really egregious expository dialogue, of the "as you know, five years ago I moved here after breaking up with my second husband, and as I'm sure you remember, since we see each other every day, I have two children and I feel very conflicted about my responsibilities as a professional and a parent" variety. Most of the jokes are pretty third rate and the characters are very stock (which I get is probably at least slightly intentional).

It's like someone mashed up Severance and, I dunno, Gilmore Girls. It's an awkward fit. Chris O'Dowd is basically carrying the whole thing, and he's the only person with funny lines. It almost feels like he was the only one who got to improvise or alter his lines or something. Or it could just be his natural skill as an actor making mediocre writing seem decent

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I like the actress who plays his wife, she's got a lot of spirit. They aren't giving her a lot to do though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I resubbed to Apple plus and am catching up on everything. Noticed while watching shrinking the absolute insane amount of apple product placement. Now I can’t unsee it. 10 minutes into the new ted lasso and I think I have seen over a dozen instances of Apple product placement. It’s wild.

If you took a shot every time an iPhone, AirPods or a mac showed up you’d be blackout by the end of the episode.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

I resubbed to Apple plus and am catching up on everything. Noticed while watching shrinking the absolute insane amount of apple product placement. Now I can’t unsee it. 10 minutes into the new ted lasso and I think I have seen over a dozen instances of Apple product placement. It’s wild.

If you took a shot every time an iPhone, AirPods or a mac showed up you’d be blackout by the end of the episode.

OTOH don't hold your breath for placements in Hello Tomorrow! or you might die.

Imagine a future with that level of tech and no Apple products, my gosh.

e: productplacementblog says there's Schlitz beer and Pepsi though

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

10 minutes into the new ted lasso and I think I have seen over a dozen instances of Apple product placement. It’s wild.

I didn't rewind to verify, but I thought the Lasso S02 "villain" was using an Android. Which gave me a chuckle. Even if I'm wrong I want it to be true.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pumped up for school posted:

I didn't rewind to verify, but I thought the Lasso S02 "villain" was using an Android. Which gave me a chuckle. Even if I'm wrong I want it to be true.

Fans are speculating about the ending of Succession based on which characters use iphones and which use Androids. Apparently Apple won't let their products be used by villains.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Fans are speculating about the ending of Succession based on which characters use iphones and which use Androids. Apparently Apple won't let their products be used by villains.

Lmao corporations are so dumb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

If you think there are good guys on succession you're a dope.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

If you think there are good guys on succession you're a dope.

Apple probably has a different opinion of what constitutes a "good guy" than you and they are ultimately the ones making those decisions.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ew android users on my hbo show??

It’s bad enough when I have to see a green text bubble

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I hate Apple and exclusively use Androids / PCs so I must be a villain

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Have we gotten anything about that, aside from Apple not wanting the Jr. Nazi using an iPhone in Knives Out?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There have been villains who use iPhones, though the only one that's coming to mind right now is Amanda Seyfried's version of Elizabeth Holmes in that Hulu show she did.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have we gotten anything about that, aside from Apple not wanting the Jr. Nazi using an iPhone in Knives Out?

No it's just something people made up

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
People being the guy who wrote and directed the movie?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

People being the guy who wrote and directed the movie?

Yeah, this was straight from his mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69GjaVWeGQM&t=169s

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've already said that Beef is great, but it's also even better if you think of it as an Elseworld season of Bojack Horseman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My attempt to go Netflix-less lasted barely a week. My sub ended while I was half way though beef and then they added better call Saul and my dad called me sounding like a sad puppy when he couldn’t figure out why “Netflix stopped working”

I guess the fuckers got me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I was going to cancel my Netflix this week until I found out the new better call Saul season was dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Wow, that Picard finale was embarrassing. They literally did a Death Star run like in Return of the Jedi. Also crazy that the newer kinder Borg led by Allison Pill as their new queen played zero factor into this season at all in this season.