Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Strikers also has the character who wants to be a cop get told “no don’t they all suck”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And none of those things are even the best part of Strikers! The best part is Sophie, obviously.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Strikers also (spoilers for 4th Jail) lets Ryuji swear.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dawgstar posted:

Also Strikers rules because Makoto fights on Joanna as a motorbike. :allears:

Yeah I really appreciate the effort that went in to giving everybody a unique flare to their skillset. Makoto fights on Joanna, Haru swings her big heavy axe around like a maniac, Morgana turns into a car and runs fools over, etc. When I imagine in my mind's eye summoning your Persona and fighting shadows, Strikers is a lot closer to it than a turn-based RPG fight.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Strikers also (spoilers for 4th Jail) lets Ryuji swear.

Ryuji slowly burgeoning into Sophie's dorky older brother is really sweet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I am really liking Strikers a lot more than I thought I would. The gameplay isn't fantastic or anything but that's mostly because the ai (heh) controlled party members keep getting their poo poo wrecked or burning through their SP way too fast. The bones of the action combat are decent enough but I mean if you have played one musou you have played them all I suppose.

I think I am about half way through based on the ability tiers my squad has unlocked and the story is pretty nice and has a lot less filler than the original game did. Well, alright the second jail was kind of filler-y.

The stop in Kyoto to see Zenkichi's kid was really sweet :unsmith: But then the squad moved on again and finally started to break up the established mission pattern. I wonder where this is all leading.

In my experience, the AI seems to get hit more or less depending on how often you're hit. When I'm avoiding all attacks, my party members never seem to get hit either, but when I get hit they start getting hit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That's the case for regular fights, but in my experience the AI gets absolutely punked in boss fights no matter what you do, particularly on higher difficulties.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sydin posted:

Ryuji slowly burgeoning into Sophie's dorky older brother is really sweet.

Futaba is too self-sufficient and snarky and Sumire doesn't exist in Strikers, so he doesn't exactly get a lot of chances to actually be a rad senior.

I also like that his love for ramen actually comes in handy.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ytlaya posted:

In my experience, the AI seems to get hit more or less depending on how often you're hit. When I'm avoiding all attacks, my party members never seem to get hit either, but when I get hit they start getting hit.

The AI sadly does not account for immunity and absorption as far as I can tell.

"Mona, please get out of the way of Thor's attack, you DON'T drain lightning!"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, even if you're immune to the boss' attacks you still have to put effort into dodging because your party members do seem to survive better when you do. Found that out on the second jail.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Girl protag in Persona 3 Portable doesn't get the MMO social link. :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Girl protag in Persona 3 Portable doesn't get the MMO social link. :(

FWIW: I think it ended up being better this way :shobon:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At least the replacement social link is memorable for, uh, other reasons.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So I've only played Persona 5 Royal. You get perks from getting further in social links. I'm playing Persona 3 and I haven't gotten any perks from social links (besides SEES). I also haven't maxed any out. Is there some sort of bonus for maxing them out other than extra XP from fusions?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The final boss cutscene will be different depending on your max social links.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh so it's just story? Not that I have an issue with that I was just making sure I wasn't getting perks they didn't tell me about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You'll also get a unique top level fusion for each arcane when you max it out. That is you'll unlock the ability to fuse it. The extra EXP is also very useful. At level nine you'll get enough to only need one level through battle to unlock a persona's last skill, and those are usually the best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you max a Link you can also fuse a special Persona.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Oh so it's just story? Not that I have an issue with that I was just making sure I wasn't getting perks they didn't tell me about.

Yeah, I was disappointed to see no gameplay effects from making s-links with (nearly all) non-party in 4, so I guess it's something new to 5.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Prowler posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed to see no gameplay effects from making s-links with (nearly all) non-party in 4, so I guess it's something new to 5.

It was a smart thing to do and I expect it to be continued on in future games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
really? people wont stop bitching about ohya because her bonus effect is poo poo

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

really? people wont stop bitching about ohya because her bonus effect is poo poo

They could put some more thought into the bonuses they give but in general the concept is sound and even at her worst Ohya gives charisma with rank ups which is still better mechanically then anything before P5.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Also I think more people complain about Ohya because.. well.. Ohya

The fact that her bonuses are bad is just the icing on the cake

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tired Moritz posted:

Even if Ohya's confidant abilities were the best in the game it wouldn't change the fact that her S.Link is at its worst creepy and at its best just kinda loving boring honestly? You mostly sit at a bar and listen to her talk about another character you never meet and never even really get a sense for beyond being very important to Ohya in some undefined manner. And unlike say, Death in P4 which is similarly a more laid back S.Link where you just listen to a character tell stories, I at least never felt like Joker was building a genuine rapport with Ohya in the same way Yu does with Kuroda.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ohya's a reason I rated Devil the worst social link arcana across P3/P4/P5 in the earlier discussion.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The fact that her bonuses are bad is just the icing on the cake

Plus that terrible haircut.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Honestly thought Ohya was fairly interesting as a character; the entire link taking place in the bar is pretty neat and fits well with her life basically being ground to a halt and it mostly being her own motivation being shot that keeps her there. It's very different to the other links at the least made it pretty neat. Her being like the only Confidant to have a direct tie to the general main plot of the game is also fairly interesting but incredibly underutilized; though it definitely just feels right for her to be the one to find the woman that initially testified against Joker.
Her abilities are hot garbage for sure though, Royal makes them marginally better but still; it's so weird since the framing is her writing papers about the Phantom Thieves where Joker decides the material as well so it'd be prime for rumor-esque effects like asking her to write articles that boost treasure demons or something like Chihaya.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sydin posted:

Even if Ohya's confidant abilities were the best in the game it wouldn't change the fact that her S.Link is at its worst creepy and at its best just kinda loving boring honestly? You mostly sit at a bar and listen to her talk about another character you never meet and never even really get a sense for beyond being very important to Ohya in some undefined manner. And unlike say, Death in P4 which is similarly a more laid back S.Link where you just listen to a character tell stories, I at least never felt like Joker was building a genuine rapport with Ohya in the same way Yu does with Kuroda.

Becky's link is probably creepier for the first half (some serious power dynamics at play there), but it's made up for with some funny moments, actual mechanical benefits, and the latter half of the link being alright.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ApplesandOranges posted:

Becky's link is probably creepier for the first half (some serious power dynamics at play there), but it's made up for with some funny moments, actual mechanical benefits, and the latter half of the link being alright.

Yeah with the caveat that there's really only a certain level a story about a thirty-something teacher dressing up in a skimpy maid outfit for their underaged student can ultimately rise to, the non-romantic version of the S.Link actually ends up surprisingly wholesome. Becky's circumstances are in the broad strokes similar to Joker's: she tried to do a good deed and the repercussions of it consumed her life, and the story becomes about them wanting to help one another as something of kindred spirits. What Joker's success ultimately means for Becky's character and outlook are genuinely uplifting too, like in terms of feel good outcomes it is one of the best S.Link's in the game.

The romantic version... look I've said it before it's all just pixels, date whoever you want, but man I've seen the dialogue for this route and it's creepy as gently caress. Like Joker essentially pressures her into a romantic relationship after Becky tries to swerve away from it multiple times and just, ugh.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sydin posted:

The romantic version... look I've said it before it's all just pixels, date whoever you want, but man I've seen the dialogue for this route and it's creepy as gently caress. Like Joker essentially pressures her into a romantic relationship after Becky tries to swerve away from it multiple times and just, ugh.

Hashino's Thing About Women™ makes a lot of the relationship aspects of these games less lovable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Ohya is fine (or at least as fine as any of the adult characters are, and probably more than Kawakami). Does she have a really annoying voice in the English dub or something? The degree of the negative reaction just seems really strange to me; she doesn't come off as much better or worse than any of the other confidants.

The "Joker dating an adult" thing also doesn't bother me as much as that sort of thing normally would, mainly because Joker isn't really a teenager - he's an empty vessel through which the adult player acts (and his behavior doesn't really resemble that of a teenager as a result). Out of all the adult characters, Kawakami bothers me the most mainly because she's also your teacher (and thus has a weird relationship with the protagonist even if you ignore age). If anything, Ohya and Chihaya have the most normal relationships with Joker among the adult confidants (with Chihaya probably being the most normal overall) - both Kawakami and Takemi have some kind of weird stuff going on in their relationship/interactions with Joker.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
He isn't REALLY a teenager, he's just a high school student who's about 16 years old being controlled by adults (maybe).

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Independently of age or status all of the Confidants have stuff going on that means a relationship just afterward is likely unwise, but that's just how things work in RPGs I guess.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Which is why I'm fond of Kasumi's implementation, because you spend so much time just hanging out and doing mundane things before the stuff.

If the stuff had been something else entirely, it could've even been a perfectly healthy and normal relationship!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ytlaya posted:

I think Ohya is fine (or at least as fine as any of the adult characters are, and probably more than Kawakami). Does she have a really annoying voice in the English dub or something? The degree of the negative reaction just seems really strange to me; she doesn't come off as much better or worse than any of the other confidants.
She's voiced by Amanda Winn-Lee in English, the same VA as Yukiko.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Sayoko didn't exist in P4 it would be somehow the most 'wholesome' game of the four in terms of romance, despite Yosuke and Teddie existing. I guess at least you can't date Sayoko...

Sydin posted:

Yeah with the caveat that there's really only a certain level a story about a thirty-something teacher dressing up in a skimpy maid outfit for their underaged student can ultimately rise to, the non-romantic version of the S.Link actually ends up surprisingly wholesome.
It's the same with Ken for me; the non-romantic version of the link is actually kinda sweet, just... don't date Ken, please. Also do not recommend dating Futaba.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Even as all the adult romance S.Links are terrible and bad, Ohya's still manages to be the worst. Joker pulling "Uh, yeah, I thought we were dating for real" and Ohya having her brain crack open and decide she did too.

Commander Keene posted:

She's voiced by Amanda Winn-Lee in English, the same VA as Yukiko.

Some people enjoy the headcanon that Yukiko finally got out of Inaba and became a cynical reporter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ytlaya posted:

The "Joker dating an adult" thing also doesn't bother me as much as that sort of thing normally would, mainly because Joker isn't really a teenager - he's an empty vessel through which the adult player acts (and his behavior doesn't really resemble that of a teenager as a result). Out of all the adult characters, Kawakami bothers me the most mainly because she's also your teacher (and thus has a weird relationship with the protagonist even if you ignore age). If anything, Ohya and Chihaya have the most normal relationships with Joker among the adult confidants (with Chihaya probably being the most normal overall) - both Kawakami and Takemi have some kind of weird stuff going on in their relationship/interactions with Joker.

It’s not Skyrim, you’re not making your own character, you’re playing as a defined dude with defined characteristics, one of which is that he’s a 16 year old.

It’s the flip of the thing I’ve seen people say, “well it’s weird to romance the other characters because they’re teenagers and I, the player, am an adult” which is just silly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
between the relative lack of like, romantic tension in any social link and the silent protagonist, the "romances" are so loosely defined that i honestly can't be bothered to care one way or another

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

between the relative lack of like, romantic tension in any social link and the silent protagonist, the "romances" are so loosely defined that i honestly can't be bothered to care one way or another

I feel like Kasumi's link works pretty well, but that's mostly because the game gives them a whole bunch more time before you can even come close to doing the romance part to have a bunch of little scenes together like sharing an umbrella and stuff

If they're gonna do more romance links in P6 (and I can't imagine they won't) it'd be cool if they pruned the number a whole bunch and put more focus on them like that imo. Makes them feel a little less weird overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brushing Koromaru's back increased my social link with him.