Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao just got and installed Odyssey and it teleported me out of the black to do the most middling FPS tutorial segment ive played in decades. Now I am back in the bubble for no reason already regretting this purchase!

Bright side, you can turn in that data now without risking any more jumps or crashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sad thing is if I remember correctly the odyssey tutorial is more interesting than any other odyssey content I ever tried.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I made it back into the black without too much trouble and the game is almost exactly the same. Witch space looks different and I'm down 10bux but oh well

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I made it back into the black without too much trouble and the game is almost exactly the same. Witch space looks different and I'm down 10bux but oh well

Now you can do exobiology out in the black and make billions.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Update 15 tentatively scheduled for May 9th. According to the guy on Frameshift Live, they apparently are going to add something, somewhere, and leave it up for players to find. Which I guess is a way to get people to stretch out content and make the patch seem like more than it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_NTk6nDzZg
New Thargoid I guess?

Frameshift Live moving from a 2 week schedule to a 4 week schedule, no more weekly Discovery Scanner articles, and their senior community manager is getting shuffled to a new project (as of last friday). :ohdear:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol this game is dying rapidly, the thing they're gonna add for players to find is the Raxxla system but when you jump it's just a big cosmic goatse nebula

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

Lol this game is dying rapidly, the thing they're gonna add for players to find is the Raxxla system but when you jump it's just a big cosmic goatse nebula

DF already did the goat-xihe joke years ago so “always has been”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HonorableTB posted:

Elite: Dangerous - just a big cosmic goatse nebula

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lmao supermassive indeed

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

einstein ring, voted 5

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New update looking extremely realistic, not sure about that new ship though

https://i.imgur.com/DMTpdPv.mp4

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
i picked this up and am mostly enjoying it but does farming mats just for engineering just always suck? Specifically raw materials, like Tellurium? The rest apparently have cheesy ways to do it

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yep farming is a horrible bitch

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I kind of figured out a way to make it less painful for the specific thing I wanted this time, so that's good. One thing that's sort of annoying about this game is how much info you can google that's out of date. There was also apparently some site called EDDB that shut down like, at the start of this month that was very useful but between the wiki, INARA and coriolis Im doing ok

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think killing console killed more of the remaining community than they maybe thought it would, especially with the game aging anyway.

e I can't believe eddb is gone, that was one of my constantly open windows

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 1, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

i picked this up and am mostly enjoying it but does farming mats just for engineering just always suck? Specifically raw materials, like Tellurium? The rest apparently have cheesy ways to do it

Yeah, going for specific mats is a fool's errand. Tellurium for example, is best farmed by ignoring it for sources of similar or even higher graded mats and then just searching out a mat trader to transform all the mats you don't need into Tellurium.

Repeat for every other material.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

I think killing console killed more of the remaining community than they maybe thought it would, especially with the game aging anyway.

e I can't believe eddb is gone, that was one of my constantly open windows
drat, that sucks

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

smug jeebus posted:

drat, that sucks

Like they mentioned though, Inara, EDTools, Coriolis and EDSM are still working, so don't delete those bookmarks yet

v this is horrible v

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 2, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
its really cool how I put in all the goddamn massive effort required to get a fully upgraded FSD drive and now when I try to finish it off with an experimental effect it gives me a server error and doesn't apply it

how does one manage to fail that badly in game system design

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think ultimately having worked my way up to Robigo runs, gathered enough mats to make a engineered FSD-drive Fer De Lance and fart around with it, I realized the combat is still sort of boring and ultimately I'm just buying bigger and bigger ships to do the same thing I was already doing, and it's a bit shallow beyond that. Having said that I got 100 hours out of it and that's good and frankly there just aren't any Privateer-likes worth a poo poo at all and I'll chase that dragon forever, so I don't feel like I completely wasted my time but I wish it was better.

In conclusion,

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Saw the update coming up. Last time I played a little bit was to check out the FPS combat when it was released. We all know how that turned out.

I just downloaded it and will play a bit after the update to see how things are and if I like it enough to stick around a while. I just got in my ship and parked in a station and holy poo poo a lot is new with the menus and stuff but sounds like they only put a little more polish on the turd. I got a space bug and it's either Elite or X4 and I'm already familiar with Elite so gonna try that first but if I don't enjoy it, gonna try to play X4. Although learning all the systems and mechanics in that game may turn me off. May not have the patience.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've found the best way for me to enjoy Elite is to play it when I feel a hyperfocus coming on and I can direct my ADHD superpowers into it for 200 hours of playing within the span of a couple months, then stop playing for about 4 or 5 months until I feel the itch again. Elite is a game best enjoyed over time in bursts when there's new content, imo

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/elite-dangerous-update-15-release-notes

They reduced the volume of the CQC announcer. Thank god.

Seriously though it's time to jump back into Elite for a month :getin:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cutedge posted:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/elite-dangerous-update-15-release-notes

They reduced the volume of the CQC announcer. Thank god.

Seriously though it's time to jump back into Elite for a month :getin:

Is that how long it takes to find a CQC match?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

ultimately I'm just buying bigger and bigger ships to do the same thing I was already doing
It would make total sense if this was a single player game with some sort of ending, but here we are

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Machai posted:

Is that how long it takes to find a CQC match?

lmao

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'd be ok if it took a month to find a CQC match because it means it found one

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If I blow up someone's carrier in solo, does it die in real life? Is it even possible to blow them up?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Inspector Hound posted:

If I blow up someone's carrier in solo, does it die in real life? Is it even possible to blow them up?

Not possible. They're a static asset like stations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

frest posted:

It would make total sense if this was a single player game with some sort of ending, but here we are

I mean, yeah. I'm the guy who put hours into privateer after the end of the story and so forth, and Freelancer, but this one just didn't hold me after the realization hit. Maybe it's because the end-game ships in this one are all carrier-types and I'm just not interested

my kingdom for a good "you're one guy in one ship who does things to get better spaceships and also maybe there is an overaching plot with aliens or an empire or an alien empire" space game

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I mean, yeah. I'm the guy who put hours into privateer after the end of the story and so forth, and Freelancer, but this one just didn't hold me after the realization hit. Maybe it's because the end-game ships in this one are all carrier-types and I'm just not interested

my kingdom for a good "you're one guy in one ship who does things to get better spaceships and also maybe there is an overaching plot with aliens or an empire or an alien empire" space game

Yeah, I’d love a game I can play the way I played Privateer. I did complete the story, but in between each story mission, I spent way more time than was necessary just doing job board missions, running cargo, and upgrading my ship. I like having an overarching story, as long as it’s not going to punish me for spending hours and hours dicking around when I feel like veering off course.

The game that’s kind of been scratching that itch for me lately is, oddly enough, Dredge.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

mekyabetsu posted:

Yeah, I’d love a game I can play the way I played Privateer.

I assume you know of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? It's basically a Privateer remake.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Natsuumi posted:

Yeah, I bought that game, played for a bit, and enjoyed it for the most part. For whatever reason, I never stuck with it. I remember being not overly fond of the actual flying parts and playing a lot of pool. I definitely should give it another try. I would love something like that combined with Elite: Dangerous’s flight model, but I guess that’s what we all want. :smith:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

It's downright ancient at this point but the Crossfire mod for Freelancer still occasionally gets updates and adds a whole bunch of content for both MP (which may still be alive?) and SP if you want a good few hours romping around the original.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Natsuumi posted:

yeah definitely beat that one, and everyone interested in that type of game should play it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Independence War 2 is somehow still getting community fixes and just last year or so they fixed a couple critical crashes in the game

https://i-war2.com/

https://github.com/i-war2-community/i-war2-patch

Has anybody played the new patch? Is it another nothingburger?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah, basically. You can get a device to go into a maelstrom by neutralizing the shutdown field and ultimately it doesn't seem to have any sort of purpose except there are a couple of new materials floating around.

There's a video talking about all the stuff people really know about the maelstrom that is pretty good as long as you aren't triggered by the guy's loud rear end chair making noise or whatever it is that is making noise in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slB9JE3fGf4

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 11, 2023

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mr. Crow posted:

Independence War 2 is somehow still getting community fixes and just last year or so they fixed a couple critical crashes in the game

https://i-war2.com/

https://github.com/i-war2-community/i-war2-patch

Has anybody played the new patch? Is it another nothingburger?

I want an I-War 3 so bad.

Part of me still hears Geralt of Rivia as Cal Johnston. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

mekyabetsu posted:

Yeah, I bought that game, played for a bit, and enjoyed it for the most part. For whatever reason, I never stuck with it. I remember being not overly fond of the actual flying parts and playing a lot of pool. I definitely should give it another try. I would love something like that combined with Elite: Dangerous’s flight model, but I guess that’s what we all want. :smith:

Yeah the issue for me with Elite is, despite it being such a huge timewaste letdown, the flight model is such a good balance between deep and arcadey, heavy and floaty, that it makes most other space games I try feel dissatisfying since. Even if they do literally everything else better. Braben cursed a whole genre for me.