Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The 6800U is dead, long live the 7940HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqrw9cGA6QU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'm hoping for a updated GDP WinMax with a CPU/iGPU combo similar to that.

There've been some hints of test models here and there leaking so maybe in a couple of months it'll pop up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The 6800U is dead, long live the 7940HS.

Saw that earlier today. Not really fair to compare U series chips to an HS as I think that HS in the Asus was drawing something like 80 watts if I remember right. Still, it is a very impressive APU.

The integrated 660m/680m from the 6000 series AMD chips is already pretty amazing. RDNA3+Zen 4 just knocks it up another notch. It's a shame there are so few Zen3+/RDNA2 or Zen4/RDNA3 laptops on the market. I don't know if that's due to manufacturing constraints or some other insider trickery. A 14 inch machine with a half decent cooling solution and one of those chips would strike a really good efficiency/performance balance I think, even if it's power limited. That's the kind of APU equipped machine that the poster earlier in the thread could use for a work/gaming laptop for his kiddo that wouldn't be obsolete in a couple years.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I think that HS in the Asus was drawing something like 80 watts if I remember right.
Nah he couldn't run it at 80w because it wasn't stable like that. He just mentioned off hand that he had the option to do so.

He ran it in Performance mode (he says this around 4:23) in the ASUS but didn't specify the watts it puts it at as far as I can tell.

The DDR5 in it also isn't that great. There were some leaks of another laptop with a similar CPU but it had LPDDR5 7500 or something and it was a decent bit faster. It was just a few synth benches that got leaked a ways back.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Found out at a recent family gathering (and extremely disappointed my nephew who was looking forward to playing 4 player mario kart) that nintendo switch uses the rarer of the two things, probably displayport alt mode to convert usb-c to hdmi, so like 95% of docks and poo poo won't work with it. I left the cheap lovely generic one from target at home and brought my shiny metal Anker brand adapter and loving didn't work.

I assume the TB variety of dock has been more common for laptops, but I've bought three Steam Deck docks and they all worked fine with a Switch so that feels like a good sign going forward.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nah he couldn't run it at 80w because it wasn't stable like that. He just mentioned off hand that he had the option to do so.

He ran it in Performance mode (he says this around 4:23) in the ASUS but didn't specify the watts it puts it at as far as I can tell.

The DDR5 in it also isn't that great. There were some leaks of another laptop with a similar CPU but it had LPDDR5 7500 or something and it was a decent bit faster. It was just a few synth benches that got leaked a ways back.

The OSD reads 60W~70W or so total package power. Still a phenomenal number.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm hoping for a updated GDP WinMax with a CPU/iGPU combo similar to that.

There've been some hints of test models here and there leaking so maybe in a couple of months it'll pop up.

Ditto.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think the MSI Afterburner software reported a 70 watt load for the APU in some of the games if I read his on screen overlays correctly. Which yeah, is not 80 watts, and I consider that a good thing. I do recall him mentioning the graphics running at 2800mhz rather than 3000. Honestly it's not terrible at all since we've seen, at full tilt, Alder Lake and above hoover up electricity like it's going out of style. Usually this results in better benchmarks and productivity scores, but honestly -in a laptop; give me Zen4 and RDNA3 in a 45/55 watt envelope and it's probably going to be pretty freakin' stellar unless you need the benefits of a full fledged dGPU (like ray tracing).

E: Basically there should be a poo poo ton of Ryzen 6000/7000 series laptops with RDNA2/3 for 600 US and everything else should be ignored until you get into RTX4060 territory. But it can't be that easy, because of course not. We live in the confusing times.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 20, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i'm looking for any old linux laptop just a good deal, windows fine too i guess. for python app dev
any links appreciated

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mescal posted:

i'm looking for any old linux laptop just a good deal, windows fine too i guess. for python app dev
any links appreciated

I mean check your local used selections.

For new, price range? Perf level?

I think this is a great deal for you maybe?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1756644407...e9b610762b20INT

FYI, RTX 4060 laptops are starting to pop up around $1000 which is a great deal. The 4060 is more or less like the 3070ti but with a lower power envelope.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Where is a good place to find replacement barrel jacks for laptop AC adapters?

Long story short I was careless and my gaming laptop took a tumble off a short tabletop. It's fine, a bit scuffed up, but nothing is broken aside from the barrel jack on the AC adapter itself; it's bent to all poo poo.

I can't imagine cutting off the original and reattaching a new one is too daunting a task for a computer toucher with electronics experience. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to just replace it with some generic no-name IED AC adapter instead.

It's an HP Omen 15 ek1013dx, it if helps at all.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lockback posted:

I mean check your local used selections.

For new, price range? Perf level?

I think this is a great deal for you maybe?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1756644407...e9b610762b20INT

FYI, RTX 4060 laptops are starting to pop up around $1000 which is a great deal. The 4060 is more or less like the 3070ti but with a lower power envelope.

any laptop, refurb is better for the environement. just has to run a fully featured linux distro and dual boot i guess. i was trying to fool around with python/pip on my steam deck and no dice. BUT i called my cousin and it looks like he has a computer to give me anyway. thanks yall

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Macichne Leainig posted:

Where is a good place to find replacement barrel jacks for laptop AC adapters?

Long story short I was careless and my gaming laptop took a tumble off a short tabletop. It's fine, a bit scuffed up, but nothing is broken aside from the barrel jack on the AC adapter itself; it's bent to all poo poo.

I can't imagine cutting off the original and reattaching a new one is too daunting a task for a computer toucher with electronics experience. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to just replace it with some generic no-name IED AC adapter instead.

It's an HP Omen 15 ek1013dx, it if helps at all.

Odds are good you can find the OEM charger on Amazon or eBay.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Odds are good you can find the OEM charger on Amazon or eBay.

Yeah I plan on buying a replacement for the whole thing if I can find a good looking OEM one. Just wondering if it’s worth hacking off the broken bit and replacing the original barrel plug.

Maybe not worth it when 200W+ laptop chargers are involved?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, definitely not, you're in new charger territory. Look on it for the HP part number, it might be in the format 123456-001 or similar, search for that and filter the brands to HP only.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

old linux laptop -> T470/T480/T/490/T14 gen1/gen2

I think redhat still hands them out as standard equipment to all employees. Thinkpad T series are double platinum rainbow unicorn linux certified devices

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Hello again thread. Is the port I circled in red another nvme slot and post?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Hello again thread. Is the port I circled in red another nvme slot and post?

No.

It is an M.2 slot and post. M.2 is the connector, NVME is the logical specification. This is somewhat significant as SATA device will plug into the same port. You are probably already aware that NVME drives operate much faster than SATA.

Fear not: SATA devices are physically keyed differently from NVME, in that SATA will have two notches in the connector, compared to the singular key that the connector on your laptop exposes.

Please keep this in mind when buying and evaluating M.2 drives, so that you don't wind up with a SATA drive when you meant to buy an NVME one instead.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 21, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Sweet. I couldn't remember what the connector was called so I went with NVME cause that's on the sticker of the other one that's installed.

I only noticed the connector because I saw the heatsink bit on the bottom of the case and noticed there was a second one and wondered why.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Lockback posted:

So to explain, for iGPUs it depends on the CPU. The graphics chip is on the CPU and (unless its a very specific exception you probably won't deal with here) every CPU model has the same model of GPU. So the first one you had had a 610M (because of the CPU). The first link I gave you is an older CPU but, importantly, a higher end one that has a better GPU built in that performs about 4x better.

For games in particular, Fortnite would be a good benchmark for a game that would be kinda unpleasant to run on dGPU but would run quite well on a 3050. The 3050 is about 3x faster and on a 1080p and would be capable of running just about anything as long as your ok with more demanding games being set to low/medium. A 3050 would be faster than a Steam Deck (but you're pushing more pixels).

Mental Hospitality makes a good point that you're stuck on 8GB, so that will be a problem. But if you want to play Fortnite, or maybe Apex Legends or something the GPU will help you more than the RAM. You wouldn't need to upgrade right away but if you want something he'll grow with that will be important.

This HP is interesting, but it's 16" so he's a big boy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Victus-...181&sr=8-4&th=1

Keep in mind, I am kind of upselling you here. If it's really "Minecraft and Roblox" the Lenovo with 16GB is a really killer deal.

Hey there. Apologies for the slow reply, but thank you for this. I was leaning towards the refurbed MSI with the 3050 and 8GB RAM, to let him grow into maybe playing the likes of Fortnite on it, but can I ask, in what situation would it be better to have the 16gb RAM and integrated Iris graphics combo, as per Mental Hospitality's post (MH, please chip in too if you see this)? How much would the 8gb hamper him if he had the machine with the 3050?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 21, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The 3050 is going to help in any situation where your playing a graphical game. 16GB is going to help when it's needed. Minecraft, Roblox won't really care about the extra ram much at all, Fortnite will help but a dGPU will help a lot more than extra ram. Some higher end games won't run at all on 8GB (but I'd expect most of those would not really be playable on a iGPU either). If its a wider gamut of games, I think a 3050 would go a lot longer way than 16GB of Ram.

Browsing around and productivity stuff is also better with 16GB, but if this is just a homework and 1 tab of youtube then 8GB will be fine.

That HP I linked CAN be have its ram upgraded down the line if you're ok with a 16" screen.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Lockback posted:

The 3050 is going to help in any situation where your playing a graphical game. 16GB is going to help when it's needed. Minecraft, Roblox won't really care about the extra ram much at all, Fortnite will help but a dGPU will help a lot more than extra ram. Some higher end games won't run at all on 8GB (but I'd expect most of those would not really be playable on a iGPU either). If its a wider gamut of games, I think a 3050 would go a lot longer way than 16GB of Ram.

Browsing around and productivity stuff is also better with 16GB, but if this is just a homework and 1 tab of youtube then 8GB will be fine.

That HP I linked CAN be have its ram upgraded down the line if you're ok with a 16" screen.

Thanks again. Given he is not going to be multitasking particularly, nor having loads of tabs open, I think the trade off to more gaming power is probaby worth it. There's always going to be some compromise at this level of budget, and I think that's probably the right way around. Having done a bit of reading, it sounds like 8gb is just about enough for his needs and shouldn't bottleneck him too much.

I discounted the HP as it's too far out of budget. Happy to stretch a little above £500 to get him the 3050 though - it's a higher spec than I was anticipating getting, albeit it's a refurb,

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fwiw, my 9 year old has a 8GB/3050 and its a great gaming machine for him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 21, 2023

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Lockback posted:

fwiw, my 9 year old has a 8GB/3050 and its a great gaming machine for him.

That seels it really. That MSI seems like a perfect combo of specs for his needs, and more than I was expecting for just a fraction over our £500 budget, so I've ordered it. Really appreciate your help and the link to the MSI in particular. He's not expecting a machine with a GFX card so he should be a happy boy. Thank you most kindly!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends hoping for some info and a recommendation for a gaming laptop.

I tried researching around Newegg, Reddit, and Google, but there’s a lot of variance in the info I found. I thought there was a Reddit mega thread with recommended laptops in different price brackets but I couldn’t find it.

The last gaming laptop I bought was well before the pandemic so I’m not sure what the technology is now and also what the appropriate price points are.

I mainly play older games and games with low requirements like Path of Exile but sometimes stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Things I want to play in the future: Starfield and Diablo 4.

Are there any useful articles I could read / YouTube’s to watch / goon wisdom I can get?

Budget is $2k - are there any clear best in class goon preferred options?

E: https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g16-g614ji-xs96-gaming/p/N82E16834236376

Seems like it is a solid choice?

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 21, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi friends hoping for some info and a recommendation for a gaming laptop.

A little overpriced and maybe a little overkill. It's a good laptop but overpriced for what it is, in particular because the 4070 is not a great GPU (it's really close to the 3070 and even the 4060), however it's going to command a high price. If you want to get something top of line this would more or less be it right now but based on what you said I am not sure you need top of line. However, if you do like this then yes. It is a really good laptop.

This is also not a great time right now as the 4000 stuff is just coming out and has a price premium. By mid/late summer I'd expect a lot better deals.

$2k is a great budget. A couple options:

If you really want a 4070 I'd actually check out this deal from Lenovo. The Legion is generally considered a high end gaming laptop (as is the ROG Strix).
https://slickdeals.net/f/16581311-lenovo-legion-pro-5i-2023-16-qhd-240hz-i7-13700hx-rtx-4070-140w-16gb-ddr5-512gb-ssd-1617-99

4060s look a little slim pickings right now. If you have an open box (excellent) available nearby this is an amazing deal. Without it the Legion above is probably better:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6535496

A 3070ti would also be good (basically the same power as a 4070), but I don't see any good deals right now.

Sorry I can't be more help, there may be more/better deals in a week and for sure I think there would be more by this summer. So it depends on your timeline.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lockback posted:

Sorry I can't be more help, there may be more/better deals in a week and for sure I think there would be more by this summer. So it depends on your timeline.

You were an enormous help! Your input helped guide my research in a more educated and effective direction!

Thank you for taking the time to draft such a useful effort post :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also cross posting - Is there a goon guide of what software to install, packaged software to uninstall, and other best management practices for a new pc?

I’m assuming bloatware needs to be removed and some system settings should be optimized.

I ended up going with the asus over the Lenovo (mainly because of the huge difference in shipping time). https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g16-g614ji-xs96-gaming/p/N82E16834236376

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I just use ninite.com and disable everything in the startup tab of task manager and call it good these days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah if it's not available on ninite it's probably not worth installing, unless you have some very specific software needs, like CAD

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If it comes with a Norton or McAfee trial, just pave over it with a clean install.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

To be very clear, you should not install everything on ninite. It just has decent free software under the various relevant categories you might potentially want, and lets you select them all and then downloads/installs them for you.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I had never even heard of ninite before! I look forward to exploring!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at their list:

Chrome
Zoom
VLC
Gimp
Google Earth
Steam
Windirstat
7-zip
Putty
Visual studio code

That probably covers 90% of my month to month usage. Maybe also "python x64 3" blender and some advanced features of some programs use it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Back up things like factory calibrated color profiles and driver support packages before you wipe a laptop.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'll be traveling a lot and might not always find a spot where I can charge my laptop during the day, so I need something that can last me a long time and is built well.

I will mainly use it for writing every day, but I'll also use it for watching movies and playing old & not resource intensive games or visual novels during long train/bus rides as well.

So the important features are

Battery life 8+ hours (or if less I should be able to extend it using a power bank)
Matte screen or screen good & bright enough to compensate for glossy (will use often in brightly lit cafes/outdoors)
Weight/build quality (will carry in backpack a lot so it needs to take at least a bit of abuse)
Good keyboard (will type a lot)
Budget: Roughly $1-1.5k and also can be bought from Amazon since I have a gift card there.

Features that are not important:

Storage. I'll be carrying a bunch of external hard drives.
Resolution: Don't really need anything more than 1080p.
Speakers: I'll mostly use headphones.
Dedicated GPU
Ethernet cable port

I guess something like the M1 or M2 Macbook Air would cover most of the bases, but I'm not sure how much of a hit the battery life takes when using Windows via Parallels. I did have a Macbook Air like 10 years ago and the battery life was terrible with it so I just switched to Bootcamp, but now that's not an option with the new chips... A Macbook Air that could run Windows without any battery penalty would be the perfect laptop for this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MBA would be my suggestion, there is very little in common with the models from 10 years ago. Running Parallels will take a hit, but would you be only doing some apps in Parallels or are you thinking of running it like bootcamp? If the former you're fine, if the latter its not bootcamp, that's not a good solution. However, MacOS is MUCH better now than it used to be so I would assume you can probably run all of your day to day stuff just fine natively and even a chunk/a majority of the games.

For not Mac solutions, a Thinkpad T14 AMD would do well and you should be able to sneak in at that budget. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/thinkpad-t14-gen-3-(14-inch-amd)/len101t0013
(Middle guy would be my suggestion)

If you want something that is better at running games this G14 deal is great (I use a G14 and when mine dies I will probably stick with it). Probably overkill in specs for what you want, the price is great:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6494638

(neither of these are on Amazon, but Amazon is way more expensive)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
My mom is having an extended European vacation and is looking to get a small 14" laptop. Looking for something light and low cost.

She just needs it to read emails and periodicals.

I want to stay with Windows 10 (11 if we have to) since that is what she's used to and doesn't want to relearn a new OS.

Any suggestions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Honestly, a Chromebook is perfect for that use case. The learning curve is nearly flat. If she can read those things in Chrome, she's all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chromebook would work, a Macbook Air would be great if you can show her the 3 things that would be different from Windows for her use case.

A PC alternative would be something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295538631471

The convertible aspect is kinda nice

If you want cheaper, check local used options.