Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

no more books posted:

Nice. I just lost my envy and I'm missing it dearly. Left it on a baseball field after doing some fieldwork.

I'm getting more serious about disc golf and trying to look for some local tournaments or groups to play with. Is everything generally on facebook? I just tried to make an account and got permanently banned because I guess I had an account I forgot about with a different last name (made it a long time ago for buying used backpacking gear, which is also all on facebook for some dumb reason). Are there like, PDGA forums or something that I can look at so I don't have to appeal this facebook ban?

udisc.com is the standard tournament finder these days. PDGA is only for sanctioned tournaments, there are tons of great unsanctioned events though, like most events aren't sanctioned. You should try it out, there legit is no skill requirements for playing events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Discgolfscene is going to list a majority of events, sanctioned or not. Smaller ones may just have a Facebook event and you PayPal the TD. Many of the smaller tournaments don't even require preregistration.

Udisc all depends on adoption, like everything else. I'm seeing a lot more leagues show up in the last year on it which is great. I did Udisc when I scored for an MPO round at a Major. I've also done the PDGA webapp. And then of course just plain ol paper.

no more books
Aug 4, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

udisc.com is the standard tournament finder these days. PDGA is only for sanctioned tournaments, there are tons of great unsanctioned events though, like most events aren't sanctioned. You should try it out, there legit is no skill requirements for playing events.

Oh nice, I just downloaded Udisc so I'll start digging through it.

The unsanctioned events are what I want, I recently started going to a putting league near my place and they were talking about all sorts of cool doubles matches and stuff, but when I asked where to find more info everyone just told me to make a facebook lol

e: Just took a look at discgolfscene and I'm seeing all the events my putting league buddies were talking about. Thank you!!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Muir posted:

Might be Lots, might be Falk or Stal or Gote.

Lmao

Par Plastic rules. I got a mystery box from them and it was all quality. Some Kasta, some TSA, some Ledgestone, and a delightful Berg with a CAT-CAT stamp.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Lmao

Par Plastic rules. I got a mystery box from them and it was all quality. Some Kasta, some TSA, some Ledgestone, and a delightful Berg with a CAT-CAT stamp.

They were my favorite until I found Reaper, and started wanting more MVP family discs. Now I'm good on plastic, but will sometimes fall for a special drop or replace something from reaper.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Phase 1 of the super sweet OTB Open MVP drop is today. My local shop is getting them all in and I'm going to swoop down there and probably just grab one of each. Such cool stamps and plastic combos.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Muir posted:

Phase 1 of the super sweet OTB Open MVP drop is today. My local shop is getting them all in and I'm going to swoop down there and probably just grab one of each. Such cool stamps and plastic combos.

That proton soft Envy is a must-cop for me. If I can finagle one of those R2 Glitches I’ll be real stoked, too.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

That proton soft Envy is a must-cop for me. If I can finagle one of those R2 Glitches I’ll be real stoked, too.

Yeah man that glitch is dope with the glow outer ring. I'm thinking it might be the perfect lid to kick my soft putter out my putter pocket for those soft touchy approaches.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Windy today

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I threw for the first time this year today and only ended up six over on an 18 hole course, not bad for a first outing and it really felt like the pieces were coming back together on the back half of the course.

The "disc doesn't move" exercise video that was posted here is great and really helped me put together a piece of my throw that wasn't there before.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Tornado blasted our two main courses on Friday.

That's the post.

Sorry to be a downer but I needed to vent it into the void.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Dr Intergalactic posted:

Tornado blasted our two main courses on Friday.

That's the post.

Sorry to be a downer but I needed to vent it into the void.

Sucks, sorry to hear it.

Had a great weekend, played a couple rounds and got pizza with the homies after. I've stopped keeping score in ball golf and disc golf and I'm enjoying the game a lot more. Just chilling any enjoying walking around, which is why i got into the games in the first place.

Now the only thing I get pissy at is putting...which I am a walking joke at...

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Had a great time at the Music City Open today! Maria Oliva complimented my Kavu poncho right when Paul McBeth was teeing off on hole 1 and I almost died of starstruckness

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Random question but can't hurt - I'm visiting Notre Dame college in South Bend, and possibly have time to hit up a single course. Looks like my options, bad on timing, are George Wilson Park or Rum Village Park. Anybody have thoughts/opinions on either course?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've played George Wilson, I remember it was super nice, lots of interesting holes, but I can only give it 2/5 stars because I took my shirt off and a girl yelled at me that I looked like a holocaust victim.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I've played George Wilson, I remember it was super nice, lots of interesting holes, but I can only give it 2/5 stars because I took my shirt off and a girl yelled at me that I looked like a holocaust victim.

Lmfao well looks like I'm going there then!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Salt Fish posted:

Lmao

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Disc Golf: a girl yelled at me that I looked like a holocaust victim.

:hmmyes:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I camped at Appling, GA this weekend and played all three IDGC courses twice. They were getting ready for the champion's cup this week, and pros that were not playing in NC were collecting and practicing. It was a good time. Interacted with Kat Mertsch the most because she was grinding like crazy and had to play through us twice.

e: also threw my newly minted fission envy into the lake never to be seen again

headcase fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 17, 2023

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

headcase posted:

I camped at Appling, GA this weekend and played all three IDGC courses twice. They were getting ready for the champion's cup this week, and pros that were not playing in NC were collecting and practicing. It was a good time. Interacted with Kat Mertsch the most because she was grinding like crazy and had to play through us twice.

e: also threw my newly minted fission envy into the lake never to be seen again

🫡 F

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Had the two best throws of my life these last two days. I threw my Underworld 270 feet up the gut on hole 10 at Seven Oaks (loving bricked the putt) and I parked hole 7 at Two Rivers 300 feet downhill (did not brick that putt). I love you, Underworld.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

i love finding the disc that just becomes your go-to for a while. Mine has been a Thrasher so far this year.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Had the two best throws of my life these last two days. I threw my Underworld 270 feet up the gut on hole 10 at Seven Oaks (loving bricked the putt) and I parked hole 7 at Two Rivers 300 feet downhill (did not brick that putt). I love you, Underworld.

My underworld is the most understable disc I own except paradox. It flops over and almost goes roller immediately. I haven't tried getting into a hyzer flip rythm with it tho.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Quantrill posted:

i love finding the disc that just becomes your go-to for a while. Mine has been a Thrasher so far this year.

I'm kind of in that same neighborhood right now. I had been trying to find something with the right amount of turn for my arm speed in calm conditions and picked up a Hades and a Vanish. The Vanish is a touch more stable than the Hades for me, but both are competing for longest disc in my bag when its not too windy.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Quantrill posted:

Found a Halo Savant in the used bin the other day. Think it's my new go-to.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

headcase posted:

My underworld is the most understable disc I own except paradox. It flops over and almost goes roller immediately. I haven't tried getting into a hyzer flip rythm with it tho.

This is the same with my underworld, and makes me feel better that I'm not alone with this issue. I can't figure out how anyone can throw it well. If I back off on the arm power to try and avoid turning it over, it just hooks hard left. I've had one good throw with it since my sister in law got it for me for Christmas.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I put the underworld back in my bag today, and I like it. My form has developed a lot since I last used it and i can really control the turnover better than some faster discs. Got 2 birds with it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I played yesterday in 40 mph wind, that was fun. Only lost one disc! Also got my first bag today, impressed for just $20.

https://a.co/d/arfJio9

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My wife and I went to a disc golf store in the Twin Cities area and picked up some beginner discs. We downloaded the UDisc app and found a course close to our house and played 9 holes.

We finished 16 and 18 over par but had a really good time. Now we just have to figure out how to throw these things and get them to some somewhere close to where we hoped it’d go.

I have a driver and a putter and she has a midrange disc and a putter. We are probably gonna go back and start filling in more discs but the dude at the store told us to buy the cheap less durable plastic to start since we were gonna spend a bunch of time hitting trees and parking lots and it’s silly to spend a bunch of fancy stuff since we have no idea what we really need.

That’s my disc golf story. Had fun. Probably have a new hobby that gets me out of the house and moving around.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Bought myself a replacement Heat yesterday and then I threw it into a lake on my 2nd throw with it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

My wife and I went to a disc golf store in the Twin Cities area and picked up some beginner discs. We downloaded the UDisc app and found a course close to our house and played 9 holes.

We finished 16 and 18 over par but had a really good time. Now we just have to figure out how to throw these things and get them to some somewhere close to where we hoped it’d go.

I have a driver and a putter and she has a midrange disc and a putter. We are probably gonna go back and start filling in more discs but the dude at the store told us to buy the cheap less durable plastic to start since we were gonna spend a bunch of time hitting trees and parking lots and it’s silly to spend a bunch of fancy stuff since we have no idea what we really need.

That’s my disc golf story. Had fun. Probably have a new hobby that gets me out of the house and moving around.

People say this a lot, and while I agree that there's no point spending too much on the first discs, premium plastic often does feel really nice. Right until you throw away an "expensive" disc and can't find it.

A couple of days ago I lost a driver in a lake, first time I've done that. I tried looking for it, but could not find it, that sucked. Literally three hours later someone texted me, he'd fished out the disc looking for his own.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NFX posted:

People say this a lot, and while I agree that there's no point spending too much on the first discs, premium plastic often does feel really nice. Right until you throw away an "expensive" disc and can't find it.

A couple of days ago I lost a driver in a lake, first time I've done that. I tried looking for it, but could not find it, that sucked. Literally three hours later someone texted me, he'd fished out the disc looking for his own.

I started with a zone, a buzzz, and a leopard 3. The zone and champ leop3 were terrible choices. In retrospect, I wish I had started with a hard plastic envy for most shots. Just to master how it flies.

I threw a -7 today at the local today??? My previous personal best was -1. Not sure what happened. My new 168g fission hex was doing some major work.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The only thing I’d be willing to say all beginners should do is pay attention to every throw hooking left (or right for lefties). That said, it’s also funny to play with stubborn beginners who refuse to change anything while getting mad at every throw ending in the rough.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Hekk posted:

I still usually play with just 3 discs out of the dozen or so that I've got. I think I only owned 3 for my first 2 years and a friend told me to throw his new Wraith to compare it to my old one. Then I bought a second Wraith :v: .

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The only thing I’d be willing to say all beginners should do is pay attention to every throw hooking left (or right for lefties). That said, it’s also funny to play with stubborn beginners who refuse to change anything while getting mad at every throw ending in the rough.

Yeah I am old and broken and can't really do the run throw thing but I think I started to get the hang of the fairway driver I have. If I tilt the nose down just a little bit, it seemed to fly truer and straighter. However, that was like 1 out of 3 times I'd throw it. Other times I'd release too early or too late and it'd go all over the place.

It's nothing serious for us and we aren't in a hurry to get great. It's just nice to have a reason to get out and move around and getting to see some trees and a little bit of nature is a bonus.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Hekk posted:

Yeah I am old and broken and can't really do the run throw thing but I think I started to get the hang of the fairway driver I have. If I tilt the nose down just a little bit, it seemed to fly truer and straighter. However, that was like 1 out of 3 times I'd throw it. Other times I'd release too early or too late and it'd go all over the place.

It's nothing serious for us and we aren't in a hurry to get great. It's just nice to have a reason to get out and move around and getting to see some trees and a little bit of nature is a bonus.

I put together a list of videos for my dad a couple of weeks ago, it covers basic standstill form, grip, and how to get the disc nose down. I think you can get pretty far with just these three vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuVZAWtAWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn-fJFuxldY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0wgR2voiU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Placeholder posted:

I put together a list of videos for my dad a couple of weeks ago, it covers basic standstill form, grip, and how to get the disc nose down. I think you can get pretty far with just these three vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuVZAWtAWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn-fJFuxldY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0wgR2voiU

Thanks for this. I appreciate you sharing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hekk posted:

Running up is overrated imo. Gets in the way more than it helps for most people I'd say. 350' is pretty doable for most people just standing at the front if they can drill the twirly bird well and believe they don't have to grab the disc like a vice. And it was no dig on you, disc golf should be chill as hell that's what it's all about. I just play with a couple stubborn beginners get decidedly unchill for the same reasons every time we play :3: We just chuckle to ourselves about it anymore.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Running up is overrated imo. Gets in the way more than it helps for most people I'd say. 350' is pretty doable for most people just standing at the front if they can drill the twirly bird well and believe they don't have to grab the disc like a vice. And it was no dig on you, disc golf should be chill as hell that's what it's all about. I just play with a couple stubborn beginners get decidedly unchill for the same reasons every time we play :3: We just chuckle to ourselves about it anymore.

Wait, you don't like gripping the disc like a vice? I just started gripping a lot harder and it seems to have tacked on about 30 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Grip isn't that important as long as it passes this test: have someone try to take the disc away from you and hold onto it. Don't let them take it. Whatever grip works for you during that test is a correct grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDHuNyFszM