Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't verify this because I'm not a nerd but someone in discord said the xG was basically the same. Ullmark just stunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat that Teravainen injury is brutal. Looks like the pool party playoff experience is about to kick off.

Hard to see the Canes going deep without two of their best wingers, but they should still finish that series you'd think.

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1649060318981627904

lmao at giving Wood MORE minutes. Meier to the top 6 is solid though I guess. Sharangovich in for Boqvist.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 20, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't verify this because I'm not a nerd but someone in discord said the xG was basically the same. Ullmark just stunk.

Ya it was a really uncharacteristic game from Boston, but its the playoffs and it happens so whatever. That's only the 3rd time this year that Ullmark allowed 5 goals. It's probably not something that's going to be happening regularly. They looked ok for 40 minutes but that 3rd period was a stinker.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Eric the Mauve posted:

If the goon that is an EBUG ever gets called in against MAF he had damned well better fight him under pain of permaban

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1649061772408627202?s=20

Odds that the Leafs come out hesitant and slow to start the game again gotta be like 99%, Mitch Marner’s gonna be gripping his stick so hard it forms a thin layer of diamond, Matthews so deep in his own head they can’t find him come game time

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Florida has xGFed Boston in the series @ 5v5 --- 5.5-4.0

But it's basically even overall because Boston's special teams have been much better. Personally I think Florida needs to do better than just even to win the series given the expected goaltending disparity but hopefully Ullmark/Swayman have entered the playoff zone. Lyon hasn't been that great either though. Game 1 was there for Florida if he was good.

MAF posted a -4 GSAE last night lol

e: Also Barkov has looked terrible so far for Florida. I wonder if he's hurt? They need way more from him

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Odds that the Leafs come out hesitant and slow to start the game again gotta be like 99%, Mitch Marner’s gonna be gripping his stick so hard it forms a thin layer of diamond, Matthews so deep in his own head they can’t find him come game time

I think they're going to dominate the first and then collapse in the second period, just for a change.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1649061772408627202?s=20

If I recall my leafs playoff history, I suspect they will go up 3-2 in the series (just enough to give their fans some “maybe this year!” hope) then eventually lose in a close game 7. Bonus points for game 7 OT.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Discord always wrong. Noted.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

T-Bone posted:

e: Also Barkov has looked terrible so far for Florida. I wonder if he's hurt? They need way more from him

He's had nagging injuries all over his body the whole year and has never looked right. He's only been playing because the Panthers needed him desperately down the stretch. I'm sure some news report after the year is over will come out where he'll need surgery and 6+ months to heal due to some injury between his hand and lower-body injuries.

But as you saw, the Panthers were able to prevail in game 2 in large part due to Bennett's return. This team is so much better when it has all 4 of its centers, including Barkov.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

AntiDepressor posted:

If I recall my leafs playoff history, I suspect they will go up 3-2 in the series (just enough to give their fans some “maybe this year!” hope) then eventually lose in a close game 7. Bonus points for game 7 OT.

I'm really torn because while it would be really funny for the Leafs to lose in round 1 again, it might be even funnier if they won round 1 finally only to get trounced by Boston in round 2.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

Discord always wrong. Noted.

well the xGF is even overall more or less, not sure what number they were quoting, it's just 5v5 where Florida has had the advantage

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

I think they're going to dominate the first and then collapse in the second period, just for a change.

Really the only start that matters is Samsonov's anyway, no matter how slow the Leafs were out the gate he still coughed up at least 3 that he shouldn't have.

AntiDepressor posted:

FWIW the basketball corgi predicted Tampa winning G1, Leafs taking a 3-1 lead, Tampa forcing 7 and the Leafs winning it. Trust in the corgi.

thehoodie posted:

I'm really torn because while it would be really funny for the Leafs to lose in round 1 again, it might be even funnier if they won round 1 finally only to get trounced by Boston in round 2.

Let's wait for Boston to get a little healthier before we start talking about how great they're gonna be in round 2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NHL playoff injury reports are always like

"He suffered a broken foot in game 3, 2 dislocated fingers, a sprained wrist, torn ligaments, and bruising. Both lungs collapsed, but through an unexplainable miracle combined together into some sort of Mega Lung, which then later also collapsed.

Sometime during game 6 his side was pierced by a quill of Sho'n'zhor, the Face of Finality that Resides in the Blackness at the Edge of Breath which is said to cause the pain of a billion deaths in an instant that lasts for an eon.

Expected to be ready for training camp."

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Koopa Kid posted:

FWIW the basketball corgi predicted Tampa winning G1, Leafs taking a 3-1 lead, Tampa forcing 7 and the Leafs winning it. Trust in the corgi.

drat, basketball corgi has really upped his prediction game

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1649060318981627904

lmao at giving Wood MORE minutes. Meier to the top 6 is solid though I guess. Sharangovich in for Boqvist.

I recognize that the Devils hugely outperformed expectations this year but I can't help feeling that Ruff's bizarre roster decisions and constant line shuffling have held them back. There is no way Wood should be playing over Boqvist let alone be up on the third line. I'm not convinced Ruff should be back next year if they go down in flames in round 1

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

secret volcano lair posted:

I recognize that the Devils hugely outperformed expectations this year but I can't help feeling that Ruff's bizarre roster decisions and constant line shuffling have held them back. There is no way Wood should be playing over Boqvist let alone be up on the third line. I'm not convinced Ruff should be back next year if they go down in flames in round 1

Honestly, his line shuffling hasn't been that bad, the Devils have had a fairly consistent four line roll with everyone healthy relative to other teams. I think having Meier in the top six makes total sense after the Rangers played a very physical game.

Also remember, just because the lines start this way doesn't mean he won't change them back or demote Wood if he's playing like garbage, etc. He basically didn't play the 4th line in the second half of Game 1.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Yeah it's not great. It's also a bit of an overreaction for me. 5v5 they were fine. They had trouble getting to the middle (which I guess is the idea with Wood as in his rare good games it's all net-net-net), but they created enough to score.

Getting destroyed on the PP/PK is what lost them that game though (and Vanecek being pretty meh). Sharangovich does PK so there's that. Ideally both he and Boqvist would be in the lineup.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I thought Wood was one of the few guys with juice on the Devils, so that's kind of annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to be on top of Igor every shift, which is honestly a bit of what the Devils need.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I thought Wood was one of the few guys with juice on the Devils, so that's kind of annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to be on top of Igor every shift, which is honestly a bit of what the Devils need.

yeah we definitely need him to take more offensive zone penalties at the worst possible time that will help so much

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxoerRWlEMA

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 20, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yeah we definitely need him to take more offensive zone penalties at the worst possible time that will help so much

That's the spirit!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dude was so fun to watch

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

the Pens' success last year against the Rangers was fairly overblown, but they did the best job last playoffs against the Rangers of crashing the net every single play and whacking the ever loving poo poo out of Igor. Even if they toed/crossed the line, it really paid dividends, and one of the reasons they did worse as the series went on was them not doing it as much. the best chance of success against him is to largely follow that plan. the Devils have a lot of talent and did a good job of possessing the puck in game 1, but I'm not sure they got a single rebound shot, and Igor saw most everything pretty clean.

Wood could also help by just providing a different look and giving a balance to what the Rangers are seeing. The top 3 lines for the Devils last night all kinda played a very similar game, so the Rangers settled into a consistent defense for it and largely neutralized any good opportunities. I think an underrated part of teambuilding is having lines that can do different things. The Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane line is pretty rush oriented. Panarin-Trocheck-Tarasenko is rush oriented but also "hold onto it and go east-west". Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko is a Sedin-style cycle line. Motte-Goodrow-Vesey is crash-the-net-and-get-a-faceoff. The Devils had a little bit of stutter in their step defending last night at times because there's not too much of a consistent style.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thehoodie posted:

How about both the Leafs and Bruins lose in the first round? That seems like it’d be the best and most entertaining for the largest number of people.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

the Pens' success last year against the Rangers was fairly overblown....

Yeah chasing the Vezina trophy winning goalie twice and hanging 3 goals or more in 6 of the 7 games is definitely overblowing the Pens offensive output against the Rangers. The Pens scored more in 2 of their games combined than Carolina in their entire series.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yeah chasing the Vezina trophy winning goalie twice and hanging 3 goals or more in 6 of the 7 games is definitely overblowing the Pens offensive output against the Rangers. The Pens scored more in 2 of their games combined than Carolina in their entire series.

Yeah, Crosby's line really had them hammered until something happened I don't recall what

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

the Pens' success last year against the Rangers was fairly overblown, but they did the best job last playoffs against the Rangers of crashing the net every single play and whacking the ever loving poo poo out of Igor. Even if they toed/crossed the line, it really paid dividends, and one of the reasons they did worse as the series went on was them not doing it as much. the best chance of success against him is to largely follow that plan. the Devils have a lot of talent and did a good job of possessing the puck in game 1, but I'm not sure they got a single rebound shot, and Igor saw most everything pretty clean.

Wood could also help by just providing a different look and giving a balance to what the Rangers are seeing. The top 3 lines for the Devils last night all kinda played a very similar game, so the Rangers settled into a consistent defense for it and largely neutralized any good opportunities. I think an underrated part of teambuilding is having lines that can do different things. The Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane line is pretty rush oriented. Panarin-Trocheck-Tarasenko is rush oriented but also "hold onto it and go east-west". Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko is a Sedin-style cycle line. Motte-Goodrow-Vesey is crash-the-net-and-get-a-faceoff. The Devils had a little bit of stutter in their step defending last night at times because there's not too much of a consistent style.

Wood should do an Avery is what I am hearing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Expected goals in that series by game were:

7.58 Pens - 3.75 Rangers

4.34 Pens - 3.19 Rangers

5.36 Pens - 4.05 Rangers

5.29 Pens - 0.88 Rangers

3.93 Pens - 3.49 Rangers

4.98 Rangers - 2.81 Pens

4.86 Pens - 1.71 Rangers

Imo the Rangers started to play better as the series went along and I think the numbers bear that out. Also goaltending is a thing and even aside from the Pens having bad goalies in there it's obvious that Shesterkin was going to make a big difference there and he despite a few rough performances he did.

I think the Pens did two things well last year:

1) Were great around the net with tips. Devils did a bad job in game 1 of getting to the net. Rangers boxed them out well and kept them to the outside. Devils gotta be better there tonight.

2) Sullivan had the Pens defense aggressively stepping up in the neutral zone to stop the Rangers rush game and that really flustered the Rangers early on in that series.

Anyways, I'm gonna go beat the traffic now and get back to the lottery thread before there's a log jam of Bruins and Golden Knights fans trying to get there

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Lol we just can't escape it can we?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
With 29 goals scored the Pens equaled the combined output of Carolina and Tampa in the following series. Yes the Pens effort against the Rangers is overblown tho.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

With 29 goals scored the Pens equaled the combined output of Carolina and Tampa in the following series. Yes the Pens effort against the Rangers is overblown tho.

And how are they doing this year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

And how are they doing this year?

They haven't surrendered a single goal so far this playoffs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Lol we just can't escape it can we?

Boxc brought up the Penguins which is basically like a bat signal for Penguins poo poo posting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

They haven't surrendered a single goal so far this playoffs.

We beat the traffic early

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, this ain't the loser thread and this ain't 2022

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Morgan Barron.

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/1649120858332594182?t=uEm2enwso_322J1z_XNzvw&s=19

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

PAS go to the loser thread plz

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What do y'all think about that Trouba hit on Crosby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, this ain't the loser thread and this ain't 2022

Tell that to the leafs

Heyooo