Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why even do art, when you could be busy building sewage pipes??

EDIT: Wow that's a terrible snipe, I am so sorry. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nah it's basically this thread summed up and in pill form, works great as a snipe.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

aniviron posted:

Nah it's basically this thread summed up and in pill form, works great as a snipe.

:haw:

Here is a cool picture I found on R/Space this morning.

I really love the old Soviet/Russian designs, the conical look is really pretty. Safe too, with the flared base. Can you imagine if they'd actually built the N1? What an incredible thing!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 16, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I really love the old Soviet/Russian designs, the conical look is really pretty. Safe too, with the flared base. Can you imagine if they'd actually built the N1? What an incredible thing!

They did build the N-1; it blew up 4 times. Now UR-900? That was pretty much on paper only.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 16, 2023

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know very little about Starship other than it's where Musk puts his extra MIC dollars but it looks like it's two stages??

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

DrSunshine posted:

I mean, what do you mean 'old?' The current best way to get to space is still on top of, essentially, an upgraded R-7 Semyorka; they got it right enough the first time around that the design is still basically state-of-the-art

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

OddObserver posted:

They did build the N-1; it blew up 4 times. Now UR-900? That was pretty much on paper only.

If it got built and didn't blow up I mean.

Lmfao I love that they were basically doing KSP in real life at that point because they didn't have fancy Western alloys that could handle the pressures/casting process of making a single big chamber (if I'm recalling the story correctly). "Strap more boosters onto it, comrade engineer! :jeb:"

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I mean, what do you mean 'old?' The current best way to get to space is still on top of, essentially, an upgraded R-7 Semyorka; they got it right enough the first time around that the design is still basically state-of-the-art

Old I guess as in "designed many decades ago"?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

breadshaped posted:

I know very little about Starship other than it's where Musk puts his extra MIC dollars but it looks like it's two stages??

Divorced and Twitter?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

IIRC the soyuz 2 costs between 20,000$ and 30,000$ per pound while the falcon heavy costs around 1,400$ per pound, and lifts more. And of course due to current events the Russian rockets aren't ideal politically. I suppose they are reliable but there's better and cheaper designs being put into use.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Falcon Heavy and other Space X designs are actual really excellent step-ups in lifting. As much as I'd love to hate something associated with Elon Musk, they've done a good job keeping him from interfering in the business and it's paying dividends.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

breadshaped posted:

Yes.

The first stage is the super heavy booster, which only goes suborbital, and returns for landing.

The second stage is Starship, which goes to orbit and is intended to reenter and land. Will have payload doors more like the shuttle than detachable fairings, so the entire thing is intended for reuse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isn't Starship with a full tank of gas supposed to be able to land and take off from the Moon? I have also heard/seen these claims in regards to Mars, but that seemed... generous. Even if you could presumably fly the drat thing to Mars, the question is if you can get there fast enough (and return) before you'd run out of MREs and O2 canisters for any unfortunate humans aboard. Landing and ascending seems generous.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It can land on the moon, assuming you refuel it orbit; that's currently the NASA plan for Artemis. It's also not that generous in regards to Mars, the delta v required to go to there is basically the same as going to the moon.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Isn't Starship with a full tank of gas supposed to be able to land and take off from the Moon? I have also heard/seen these claims in regards to Mars, but that seemed... generous. Even if you could presumably fly the drat thing to Mars, the question is if you can get there fast enough (and return) before you'd run out of MREs and O2 canisters for any unfortunate humans aboard. Landing and ascending seems generous.

Starship is intended to have more pressurised volume than the ISS and is around the same as a 747, for a reasonably sized crew taking enough provisions will be fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Starship is intended to have more pressurised volume than the ISS and is around the same as a 747, for a reasonably sized crew taking enough provisions will be fine.
No poo poo? That seems surprising, more for how small the ISS must be.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Nessus posted:

No poo poo? That seems surprising, more for how small the ISS must be.

I believe it was only 2 or 3 Saturn V launches that could put up more volume than the entire ISS. Building it using only the relatively light launch vehicle of the Space Shuttle meant they needed a zillion launches of these real narrow canister modules and they ended up using a pretty high proportion of payload mass in just the docking collars between the modules.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Coldbird posted:

I believe it was only 2 or 3 Saturn V launches that could put up more volume than the entire ISS. Building it using only the relatively light launch vehicle of the Space Shuttle meant they needed a zillion launches of these real narrow canister modules and they ended up using a pretty high proportion of payload mass in just the docking collars between the modules.
How did our Commie brothers get MIR and such up there? This is kind of shocking me that we just stopped having heavy lift capacity like this.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Nessus posted:

How did our Commie brothers get MIR and such up there? This is kind of shocking me that we just stopped having heavy lift capacity like this.

They didn't give up their heavy launch platform, Energiya. It was only us who ditched ours. We still had some medium-launch platforms, especially later on, but after Saturn V wrapped up, there was nobody in town for decades who could launch as much as Energiya.

edit: though I just looked it up and apparently the Mir was put up using 6 Proton platforms and not Energiya

Russia also tried to copy our shuttle - look up their Buran project sometime.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coldbird posted:

Skylab was 350 cubic meters of pressurized volume, about a third of the ISS, so checks out.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

The shuttle program really screwed US lift capacity for a whole generation, is the short answer. It strayed too far from it's original design niche due to political interference and bad NASA management, and as a result NASA fell behind in this department as the shuttles were meant to provide the lift capacity but just weren't terribly good at it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Starship launch is scrubbed for today, sorry for the double post. They'll probably be trying again in a few days.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Space, the Final Frontier: It Gazed Into My Open Refrigerator

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone play High Frontier 4? I looked at a screenshot and was like, "wow". :haw:

I was talking to a friend who was selling me a pitch on the game and we remarked how the screenshot of how the board looked basically acted like a Great Filter in keeping people from playing the game!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've actually heard about it because it came up while reading about Lagrange points, as the map is an attempt to represent the Interplanetary Transport Network. I've not bought it myself, but reviews are that there are better industry building games, but if you're a sucker for rockets it's pin point targeted at your heart.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bug Squash posted:

I've actually heard about it because it came up while reading about Lagrange points, as the map is an attempt to represent the Interplanetary Transport Network. I've not bought it myself, but reviews are that there are better industry building games, but if you're a sucker for rockets it's pin point targeted at your heart.

Look at that board, it's beautiful. :allears:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Starship has just exploded. Looks like a failure to separate, and it spun out of control.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Was it really supposed to separate so soon after Max-Q? Anyway that was spectacular :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Starship has just exploded. Looks like a failure to separate, and it spun out of control.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I laughed out loud seeing him too, especially with all the SpaceX people cheering and clapping. It took a lot of the sting away.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

stages of grief lmao

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

breadshaped posted:

Was it really supposed to separate so soon after Max-Q? Anyway that was spectacular :allears:

https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=273481

So MECO (main engine cutoff) was supposed to happen at 169s and first separation at 171s

From what I can see the trajectory instability started at ~130s

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Unfortunate news but this does happen all the time even with NASA.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Unfortunate news but this does happen all the time even with NASA.

In the Saturn program, yes. They blew up at least one Saturn V because they didn't have a diversion tunnel for the back thrust.

They solved that problem 50 years ago. Build a diversion tunnel and water deluge system.

Guess who built a launchpad without either of those things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mdemone posted:

In the Saturn program, yes. They blew up at least one Saturn V because they didn't have a diversion tunnel for the back thrust.

They solved that problem 50 years ago. Build a diversion tunnel and water deluge system.

Guess who built a launchpad without either of those things.

I mean, if the US tried to start up production of saturn vs today they'd probably face the same issues, because the tribal knowledge isn't there. Just because something was solved 50 years doesn't mean that experience and the institutional knowhow is preserved perfectly.

See the US needing to relearn dogfighting in the Vietnam war.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Artemis already launched successfully dogg

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, if the US tried to start up production of saturn vs today they'd probably face the same issues, because the tribal knowledge isn't there. Just because something was solved 50 years doesn't mean that experience and the institutional knowhow is preserved perfectly.

See the US needing to relearn dogfighting in the Vietnam war.

We don't need to relearn it.
https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1288773089061470208?s=20

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Artemis already launched successfully dogg

What is this in response to?

I'm not sure what this is in response to?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You implied that NASA rockets blow up all the time and someone replied that SLS didn't and pointed out one specific Saturn-era development it used that Starship didn't (for some reason) and you're confused by all of this?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eXXon posted:

You implied that NASA rockets blow up all the time and someone replied that SLS didn't and pointed out one specific Saturn-era development it used that Starship didn't (for some reason) and you're confused by all of this?

I think what's confusing is people arguing that this is a "solved issue" 50 years ago; what are they implying by suggesting this? To clarify I am not claiming NASA is incompetent, or that literally they have failures left and right, only that over the course of the entire history of NASA they have had set backs; and I don't think SpaceX having a set back is that noteworthy. Sorry that I wasn't clearer as I was phone posting and meant to just convey "drat that sucks but this isn't new".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The idea isn't disparaging NASA, but that SpaceX is facing issues that NASA already figured out and solved for that SpaceX is choosing to not to include in their build out.