Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mindblast posted:

Its cool to see things get more and more real but Im personally not looking for a realistic simulation of killing people.

fully agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

inb4 a realistic game about teenagers accidentally ringing wrong doorbells in america.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Jack Trades posted:

inb4 a realistic game about teenagers accidentally ringing wrong doorbells in america.
On purpose?

You monster!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mindblast posted:

Its cool to see things get more and more real but Im personally not looking for a realistic simulation of killing people.

Yeah seriously

I'm also not really looking for photorealism in general. I mean that's really nice but I can just look at real things for that. I want some artistic vision. Like this

:kirby:

That's art.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Harminoff posted:

Dev stated it's not VR, it's just how their aim system works.

https://twitter.com/esankiy/status/1648853522039943168

This seems to me that both the question and answer is whether the game is played in VR, but I think the original point was that the trailer was made using VR headset to control the camera. Maybe I misunderstood, though.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Got a new PC finally (1080 to 4080) and what is the first game I install after finishing the system? Well, Powerwash Simulator of course. Turns out they just released new levels, and it has this stranglehold on my brain where I can't play anything else until everything is squeaky clean! Trip Report: At 141 FPS the 4080 doesn't even get hot enough to turn on the fans. Hopefully they add raytracing soon :D

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wish I wouldn't have to sell my car to buy a new, modern GPU.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GhostDog posted:

Got a new PC finally (1080 to 4080) and what is the first game I install after finishing the system? Well, Powerwash Simulator of course. Turns out they just released new levels, and it has this stranglehold on my brain where I can't play anything else until everything is squeaky clean! Trip Report: At 141 FPS the 4080 doesn't even get hot enough to turn on the fans. Hopefully they add raytracing soon :D

Oooh. I'm getting a new PC in the next couple months and I am dazzled imagining how good Powerwash Simulator will look on it.

If anyone's still wondering, it's not a joke or ironic recommendation, it's the most satisfying game in the world.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Sooo this unrecord game is just QTE and not an actual fps right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK76q13Aqt0
i think the only way that i'd play this is if it was a secret entry in the V/H/S series and the cop gets brutally owned by a cryptid of some kind

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Case of the Golden Idol DLC dropping next week:

https://www.polygon.com/23691144/ca..._source=twitter

Hell yes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They have the dog days headshot censor so this is gonna be sleaze art

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

i think the only way that i'd play this is if it was a secret entry in the V/H/S series and the cop gets brutally owned by a cryptid of some kind

I don't know why ppl are saying "cop game, don't want." the dev seems totally honest about what his (?) game is yet he's clearly not spoiling the game and keeping things up his sleeve. i do not expect this cop to be some goodguy protagonist

edit: also blasphemous 2 holy poo poo.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

AngryBooch posted:

Case of the Golden Idol DLC dropping next week:

https://www.polygon.com/23691144/ca..._source=twitter

Hell yes
Hell yeah! I could play additional cases in this game, whether sequels or DLC, forever.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RBA Starblade posted:

Help it's 2010 again and I can't stop playing Desktop Dungeons

DD: Rewind has reminded me that this game is actually really loving good and just nailed the gameplay design in a way that hasn't become outdated even a little bit despite a decade of endless rogue-likes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

GhostDog posted:

Try the new Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Harminoff posted:

Either way, it's pretty amazing what a solo dev can do these days.

https://twitter.com/esankiy/status/1648852562148311041?t=fVRGQXY-f9c75ulL_uHpng&s=19

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

Mr. Sun's Hatbox came out of nowhere for me but I'm very charmed by the demo and definitely will pick the game up when it comes out in 2 days. It's a sidescrolling heist game (almost like a less-simmy Heat Signature?) but you have base-building that's sort of a basic riff on X-COM and there are a bunch of hats you collect that give you different abilities and also you can just literally straight up Fulton enemies and items like in MGSV to send them back to your base and add them to your roster of playable characters or equippable gear. Very cute and weird.

This is out now, wondering why all the first reviews are in Chinese, but I enjoyed the demo enouigh to throw $13.49 at it. Checked out the dev's website (http://kennysun.com/)

quote:

I initially came up with the idea for the game in 2015 after playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I really enjoyed the Fulton recovery system where you attach balloons to stunned enemies to lift them into the air and kidnap them. So, I stole that idea and combined it with elements from another favorite game of mine, Spelunky

I am absoutely feeling the Spelunky influence when wacky poo poo like this happens

https://i.imgur.com/zINP8Z2.mp4

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Dev stated it's not VR, it's just how their aim system works.

https://twitter.com/esankiy/status/1648853522039943168

That's interesting, but I can't fathom how it will work, unless the hand just freely auto-aims while you look around

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Diephoon posted:

This is out now, wondering why all the first reviews are in Chinese, but I enjoyed the demo enouigh to throw $13.49 at it. Checked out the dev's website (http://kennysun.com/)

I am absoutely feeling the Spelunky influence when wacky poo poo like this happens

https://i.imgur.com/zINP8Z2.mp4

I was gonna pass on this because it's a roguelike action game which I usually hate but this looks like my kind of stupid

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's interesting, but I can't fathom how it will work, unless the hand just freely auto-aims while you look around

Looks like the game's camera and gun aiming has heavy bobbing and probably some randomness assigned to it based on prior input + mouse movement + character controller physics. At one part he runs around a corner, takes a hard turn to the left and the camera sways and dips to the right to give the impression of weight. Doesn't seem all that hard to do in a UE blueprint, the more difficult part would be tuning it so it doesn't feel awful when playing - and these guys seem to have pulled that off?

Apparently the internet has been decrying the game footage as fake, to the point that the developer had to tweet a recording of them flying around inside UE to show that it's actually real. Seems like the combination of the realistic camera movement and modern photogrammetry textures are tripping people up. Yes, games can look like reality now, especially when viewed through compressed YouTube footage.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think anything about it looks fake or unbelievable, I just can't imagine how aiming would work like that on kb+m unless the game literally aims for you. Having the viewport detached from the aim angle would just feel awful if you have to actually aim your gun and not just point vaguely in the direction of an enemy Doom-style

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I first watched the video on my phone before they confirmed it's in engine and assumed it was an FMV thing, it's way clearer when watching on an actual screen that it's the engine pulling a lot of camera tricks.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SavageMessiah posted:

I was gonna pass on this because it's a roguelike action game which I usually hate but this looks like my kind of stupid

https://i.imgur.com/fOLOzuf.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Graphics were good enough on the PS2, everything since then has just been making games cost exponentially more to make for no benefit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think anything about it looks fake or unbelievable, I just can't imagine how aiming would work like that on kb+m unless the game literally aims for you. Having the viewport detached from the aim angle would just feel awful if you have to actually aim your gun and not just point vaguely in the direction of an enemy Doom-style

It looks like the view is following the aiming, just on a delay.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You're right, I watched it again and the only time the view doesn't follow the gun is when the gun is being lowered offscreen (probably just an idle animation). That's a pretty cool immersive effect as opposed to the static gun positions of most FPS. It's neat to see a game use high fidelity graphics as stylized art direction, instead of it being a binary 'stylized or realistic'

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 21, 2023

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Maybe they're just trying to make a realistic cop simulator and this was the best way they could ensure the player doesn't get more than 5% of shots onto the actual target.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The reload animation where he clears the jam mid way through was cool

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/voicesbyzane/status/1648747246853185545?s=46&t=-3btIhdWFD5M3u9M3Xo4WQ

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

whatever just wait for the dorner experience mod

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
To be honest, it's really weird/interesting how techniques like that are so effective at tricking your brain into thinking "this is real" at a glance, even though the mediocre FPS graphics are clearly evident if you stare at it for more than a few seconds.

I wonder how well it's going to translate into actual hands-on gameplay. I feel like the effect isn't going to work nearly as well when you're staring at it fullscreen and actually in control.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm sure most of the thread is going to mock me for not having bought it already, but Hades is 50% off today and I'm wrestling over whether to buy it because I've already spent more than I probably should've this week.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I'm sure most of the thread is going to mock me for not having bought it already, but Hades is 50% off today and I'm wrestling over whether to buy it because I've already spent more than I probably should've this week.

You should definitely buy Hades if you like action roguelikes! I'd say it's a best game of all time contender, but also, at the end of the day, it's a game: if buying it will negatively impact your quality of life, maybe you can hold off on buying it, concentrate on your current priorities, and when you're more financially stable grab it on sale then. Seems to go on sale relatively often too so you shouldn't be missing out too much price-wise if you wait.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Hades is very, very good, but it goes on sale every couple of months and probably also will when Hades 2 goes into Early Access later this year, so no pressure.

On a related note, most of the Age of Empires series is at really good deals for the next two weeks as part of the big Xbox Game Studios sale. A lot of stuff is, really.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 21, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

As a runner myself, I always love the exaggerated arm movements in FPS games of this particular style. If you're running IRL and you can see your hands wildly swing up and down like that, you probably look like a moron.
How about Sprint Vector? https://store.steampowered.com/app/590690/Sprint_Vector/

Paradoxish posted:

To be honest, it's really weird/interesting how techniques like that are so effective at tricking your brain into thinking "this is real" at a glance, even though the mediocre FPS graphics are clearly evident if you stare at it for more than a few seconds.

I wonder how well it's going to translate into actual hands-on gameplay. I feel like the effect isn't going to work nearly as well when you're staring at it fullscreen and actually in control.
Even just on a normal monitor, not even in fullscreen, at quite a few parts you can see the Video Game Textures on the wall rubble.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

V Rising rules. I imprisoned someone with high quality blood so I could feed and drain him repeatedly and not have to settle for low quality peasant blood when hunting a boss. The game's mechanics absolutely encourage you to play like an evil vampire lord from trashy dark fantasy books.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Jokymi posted:

Hell yeah! I could play additional cases in this game, whether sequels or DLC, forever.

Well, this def isn't the final dlc they're planning on doing, so you might be in luck

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The game looks realistic, but something about the disconnect between the realism of the gfx and the unreality of the situation (solo cop FPSing like a video game character) overall heightens my feeling that it's unreal or I guess increases my sense of incredulity? It feels weird to me in a way games usually don't.

Close to the sensation I had in Heavy Rain with that basically fantasy shootout sequence in the mansion.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 21, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
video games should focus on trying to speak in the language of video games, not the language of real life. by reaching higher plateaus of graphical fidelity they constrain themselves to what is conceivable by a human being, what makes sense to parse, what will look good. nothing unexpected will ever happen. you will never question what you see. your imagination declines into a passive observer as the ten billion ray-traced up-scaled bing-bonged pixels do all the work. the closest thing we will see to alien life are in video games that immerse you and then pull a fast one with something incomprehensible.

the most beautiful game i played this year was made by one dev and looks like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Nancy posted:

The game looks realistic, but something about the disconnect between the realism of the gfx and the unreality of the situation (solo cop FPSing like a video game character) overall heightens my feeling that it's unreal or I guess increases my sense of incredulity? It feels weird to me in a way games usually don't.

Close to the sensation I had in Heavy Rain with that basically fantasy shootout sequence in the mansion.

sounds a bit like the uncanny valley effect.

Foul Fowl posted:

video games should focus on trying to speak in the language of video games, not the language of real life. by reaching higher plateaus of graphical fidelity they constrain themselves to what is conceivable by a human being, what makes sense to parse, what will look good. nothing unexpected will ever happen. you will never question what you see. your imagination declines into a passive observer as the ten billion ray-traced up-scaled bing-bonged pixels do all the work. the closest thing we will see to alien life are in video games that immerse you and then pull a fast one with something incomprehensible.

the most beautiful game i played this year was made by one dev and looks like this:

Games are inevitable bound to technology, which is for me the reason why they're an amazing medium as they combine a large spectrum of arts and tech together. I appreciate all directions, Nothern Journey was amazing but so is development towards photorealism. I think it is always great to try to achieve that level, let artists then decide what to do with it. Only because you have the option to use physically correct representation of the world, doesn't mean we have to or will see only cop shooters or whatever. Of course AAA companies will push that poo poo out regardless, but they did so forever while driving the tech forward.

Just take Mirros Edge with a back-then amazing use of global illumation which was the first stept towards realistic light bounces but used to create a surreal colorful action runner world not seen before.