Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Are the Twin Cities still the mathematically optimal urban area to live in (besides the weather)? I remember in the 2010's, the NYT did an a quality of life algorithm and Twin Cities won like 8 years in a row. The theory was that the weather is terrible, so it is underpriced relative to the average wage and unemplyoment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are the Twin Cities still the mathematically optimal urban area to live in (besides the weather)? I remember in the 2010's, the NYT did an a quality of life algorithm and Twin Cities won like 8 years in a row. The theory was that the weather is terrible, so it is underpriced relative to the average wage and unemplyoment.

last year jacksonville was on that list. probably shouldn't put too much stock in it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

That's like saying Fresno or Bakersfield is good because if you can command a high(ish) salary then you get to be emperor of hell. My wife has frequently asked for me to transfer there because my pay won't change and she'll be able to quit. Nay, I say.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Making a go of it in northern states requires getting into winter activities - cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, downhill, ice fishing, whatever. It's hell if you just sit indoors for six months out of the year. Get out and do stuff and it's good.

I've rather liked Minnesota the times I've been there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I went to Duluth and they had outdoor tunnels between buildings to prevent your skin from dying due to the wind chill and exposure from walking outside for 10 minutes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cease to Hope posted:

last year jacksonville was on that list. probably shouldn't put too much stock in it.

mathmatically optimized worst place to live more like

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

doesn't Moist Cr1tikal / penguin0 live in Jacksonville?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sounds like the NYT weights weather lower than everyone else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think this is a different algorithm than the one the NYT used because they have a category for "remote readiness" calculating the ease of remote work that definitely wasn't on the old NYT algorithm.

https://livability.com/methodology-ranking-criteria/

Seems Minneapolis has fallen down to #6.

Rochester, MN is #3.

Madison, Wisconsin is #1.

Minnesota is still the only state with 2 cities in the top ten.

https://livability.com/best-places/2022-top-100-best-places-to-live-in-the-us/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I think this is a different algorithm than the one the NYT used because they have a category for "remote readiness" calculating the ease of remote work that definitely wasn't on the old NYT algorithm.

https://livability.com/methodology-ranking-criteria/

Seems Minneapolis has fallen down to #6.

Rochester, MN is #3.

Madison, Wisconsin is #1.

Minnesota is still the only state with 2 cities in the top ten.

https://livability.com/best-places/2022-top-100-best-places-to-live-in-the-us/

that study was run by a company whose main product is advertising for municipal and state governments. the number one best place to live is one of their featured clients.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I went to Duluth and they had outdoor tunnels between buildings to prevent your skin from dying due to the wind chill and exposure from walking outside for 10 minutes.

Downtown Chicago has these as well for the same reason, except underground.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a strange fowl posted:

is there any taste of power with as bitter an aftertaste as moderating something awful

i do not understand what drives an adult human being to volunteer to mod something awful

it's all downside

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

There's a mod discord, but there are channels that IKs can use. I posted it in the channel one down from the mod/admin channel to the one the IKs can view.

real glad i'm not on this discord

Tesseraction posted:

I still don't know who LALD's reregged as

i'll be honest, i don't think i even know who lald is in the first place

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chelb posted:

hi i am in minneapolis and working at a hardware store and high a lot

yeah, that's the typical dadchat trajectory. a drinking problem would also have been acceptable

i hope things are generally chill for you

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Chelb posted:

hi i am in minneapolis and working at a hardware store and high a lot
there you are! it is good to see you post

Chelb posted:

a sinkhole opened up near my apt that was so big the city had to yell at people to stop driving over to look at the hole
please don't fall into a giant death hole

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a strange fowl posted:

there you are! it is good to see you post

he got a bf and decided he was too cool to post on SA; I specifically had to bother him on slack to check out this thread to see you were worried about him

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

im willing to pay a 'the government isn't trying to make it a sex crime for me to walk down the street' premium when factoring in cost of living

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t know who Iald is, was, or will be, so just as the twin cities or Fresno are mathematically perfect to live in I am mathematically the perfect mod candidate.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Doctor Yiff posted:

im willing to pay a 'the government isn't trying to make it a sex crime for me to walk down the street' premium when factoring in cost of living

Second.

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t know who Iald is, was, or will be, so just as the twin cities or Fresno are mathematically perfect to live in I am mathematically the perfect mod candidate.

I question that math.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the sinkhole is koos's covetous rear end in a top hat btw

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Close!

We were discussing something and I mentioned someone's alt (that everyone on the mod/admin team knew about), but I accidentally posted it in a place that IKs could view and not just mods/admin. After the whole Cinci thing, they were "zero tolerance" on it because the IKs shouldn't have been able to see it.

Kind of like getting Al Capone for tax evasion, lol.

Wait, that's literally it? Nothing else, just that

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have never leaked a single thing out of mod spaces because I follow the posters Bushido code

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Professor Beetus posted:

I have never leaked a single thing out of mod spaces because I follow the posters Bushido code

*notes lack of mod status*

aren't you supposed to commit seppuku or something?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also i won't do anything about posting about weird subforum wars or drama involving people i've never heard of, because using mod buttons goes against everything i stand for, but if the husk of dadchat dies its final death because of it i will send very bad psychic vibes your way

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also i won't do anything about posting about weird subforum wars or drama involving people i've never heard of, because using mod buttons goes against everything i stand for, but if the husk of dadchat dies its final death because of it i will send very bad psychic vibes your way

can you rename the thread "counter espionage" though, i just think it would be funny

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
No

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

a strange fowl posted:

the sinkhole is koos's covetous rear end in a top hat btw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Staluigi posted:

Wait, that's literally it? Nothing else, just that

Yeah. Tensions are obviously running high after the Cinci thing and they had a new "zero tolerance" policy regarding it. That is why I didn't even get a probe or ban.

It likely wouldn't have mattered if it happened before Cinci, but c'est la vie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yeah. Tensions are obviously running high after the Cinci thing and they had a new "zero tolerance" policy regarding it. That is why I didn't even get a probe or ban.

It likely wouldn't have mattered if it happened before Cinci, but c'est la vie.

Come post in doomsday economics. The leon rule has been lifted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Hootington posted:

Was there ever a rule? I didn't really follow it after it closed and they reopened. It got really chatty and boring.

Chat threads are good, but the Econ thread being a chat thread was zzz...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Was there ever a rule? I didn't really follow it after it closed and they reopened. It got really chatty and boring.

Chat threads are good, but the Econ thread being a chat thread was zzz...

It is what the people wanted. Shrug

Come drop by for old times

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

No trap. I'm not a liar. Thread is IKless now and it would be funny if he showed up again.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmm…

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sure has been an awful lot of drama on these here forums lately.

Also living up north is fine. You adapt to the short winter days days, blistering cold wind chills, and unbelievably humid summer heat. Also we only have 2 seasons. Spring and fall only last a couple days each.

I live up north and am perfectly normal.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
seems like a good day to stare straight into the sun

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

the alternative was that leon and willa post here, where i am not allowed to ship them

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

for the newcomers, "no shipping" is our oldest and most sacred law that i break every single day

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
air freight should be allowed in special cases though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

a strange fowl posted:

for the newcomers, "no shipping" is our oldest and most sacred law that i break every single day

i will clarify that i will honor the ancient ways and enforce the no shipping rule