Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

I just learned yesterday I could auto upload photos with the SA phone app. I've been doing it manually with the imgur app then copy and pasting. My images will mostly be fine except for anything posting today. I wonder if the app uses an account or will be integrating an account so we won't lose things. It's really so convenient to just upload via the unofficial SA app, that would be a real blow to lose it, especially for me so quickly haha.

Thank you Saoshyant for the lovely signature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

good to see you getting plenty of vegetables

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

B33rChiller

Cracking up over here over the realisation that I literally overlooked the Old Milwaukee clearly labeled au Français to the President's Choice logo behind it to clock :canada:

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
B33rChiller

Years reading cereal boxes did far more for my language skills than any classes I took in school. French food labels don't even really seem to jump out as a Canadian thing in my mind, like specific brands do. They just are part of a normal label. It certainly jumps out at me in the US when it changes to Spanish, or English only. Or in the EU, where it can be a whole array of languages on labels.

Dr. Honked posted:

sb hermit

beer and burg is a pro.combination

sb hermit

cruft posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we are living in a time that will come to be known as a dark age.

This will not be the last time that massive amounts of information we've put into computers simply vanishes.

there is already a tremendous amount of information locked up behind stuff like discord, twitter, facebook, and so on, that will be lost when these services inevitably disappear because there is not going to be a good way to migrate this data because it's unlikely that such a mechanism will be provided by the service owner

sb hermit

I want to joke that nothing was lost when google plus died because no one used google plus but, in general, google spends a lot of effort in making it easy to export your data

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Viginti Septem posted:

I've used postimg.cc for about three years now with no issues. Free service.

Yeah, I'm gonna start using this from now on. Hope it lasts. They have apparently been around for a long time, so maybe it will stick.

sb hermit posted:

there is already a tremendous amount of information locked up behind stuff like discord, twitter, facebook, and so on, that will be lost when these services inevitably disappear because there is not going to be a good way to migrate this data because it's unlikely that such a mechanism will be provided by the service owner

This is something that worries me a lot. You can't even Archive.org this stuff. They are silos, isolated, unconnectable from outside, and make it impossible to migrate that data elsewhere.

And tons of people are using Discord for stuff that isn't chat. I used to get tech info about fighting games from wikis and forums, now it's all hidden away on Discord stickies. I have heard a lot of recent repair info is ending up there, too.

It's basically non-discoverable to most people and will soon disappear without a trace. What a waste.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Finger Prince

Hey byob what should I eat for dinner?

Difficulty level: I had pizza yesterday.

Saoshyant

Finger Prince posted:

A salad with a bunch of watercress and anything else you may enjoy. Eat healthy!

Finger Prince

Saoshyant posted:

A salad with a bunch of watercress and anything else you may enjoy. Eat healthy!

🤔 Big salad, you say? I could do big salad. Only trouble with fresh veg is I'll be out of town for 5 days so I need to buy the correct amount to not have the rest turn to mush.
Also I don't think the store I'm going to go to has watercress, at least I don't remember seeing it there. It's not super popular over here I think.

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

Burrito

Saoshyant posted:

I dunno how well a burrito would work with watercress, maybe with fish or something.

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

🤔 Big salad, you say? I could do big salad. Only trouble with fresh veg is I'll be out of town for 5 days so I need to buy the correct amount to not have the rest turn to mush.
Also I don't think the store I'm going to go to has watercress, at least I don't remember seeing it there. It's not super popular over here I think.

oof

I always have problems with keeping too many fresh things, especially fruits and vegetables, when I lack the time to prepare them before they go bad :smith:

Finger Prince

I was thinking double decker tacos since it's been a bit since I made them. I could make some like coleslaw or some kind of side salad with them.

sb hermit posted:

Burrito

I dunno how well a burrito would work with watercress, maybe with fish or something.

I did think possibly burrito. I could make a bunch of filling and freeze it. Actually I have this vacuum sealed sous vide pork I bought a while ago that I ought to use. It's Sicilian seasoned, but that's not going to be a barrier. It would make good carnitas. Plus I have microwave Peruvian lentils... Cook up some rice... Yeah that could work. Just need some veg. And it means I could have a side salad too because 2 double decker tacos is pretty loving filling when I make them.

B33rChiller

OMG, I'm cracking up at Cavauro's new signature from the match last night
https://i.imgur.com/SYdDo2B.mp4

ETA John Charity Spring has a good one too

Dr. Honked posted:

cruft

We just ordered a vegan pizza :ohdear:

LOL

cruft

Hey I need help with an ethical dilemma!

I have a job offer sitting here. It's [numbers about salary and vacation and other benefits removed]. So as you can see I'm not sure if I should make this move or not, it'd be more of a lateral move that might benefit the work I'm doing more than me, per se. But the work is something I created, so I'm still vested in [stupid philosophical tangent removed].

What do you think, BYOB?

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

I have a job offer sitting here. It's [numbers about salary and vacation and other benefits removed]. So as you can see I'm not sure if I should make this move or not, it'd be more of a lateral move that might benefit the work I'm doing more than me, per se. But the work is something I created, so I'm still vested in [stupid philosophical tangent removed].

What do you think, BYOB?

I think you should definitely [bad advice removed].

Saoshyant

cruft posted:

What do you think, BYOB?

Without more info, it kind of sounds like a recipe for disaster. Distance yourself from the work you created for a moment: would you still take that job offer? How stable do you think it will be this time?

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

cruft posted:

What do you think, BYOB?

what's gonna lead to cooler stuff for your future? is the money more or less?

cruft

Ominous Jazz posted:

what's gonna lead to cooler stuff for your future? is the money more or less?

You people aren't giving me the flippant comedy responses I was hoping for.

(I'm probably going to take the job, for a number of reasons I didn't outline.)

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

cruft posted:

you should steal and have sex with your boss imo

Ass-penny

Ominous Jazz posted:

:hmmyes:

Saoshyant

Ominous Jazz posted:

Well, that goes without saying. Are you even working at a new job if you don't get a five finger discount and seduce your boss? Preferably both things at the same time.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

The most important question you need to ask yourself about this job... the most important , is "will this job get me laid".

Escape From Noise

Woah. I am in Portland.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

cruft posted:

What do you think, BYOB?
Probably neither job and do some sort of highly symbolic protest instead, like setting fire to a politician.

Ass-penny

roomforthetuna posted:

Probably neither job and do some sort of highly symbolic protest instead, like setting fire to a politician.

:hmmyes:

sb hermit

Escape From Noise posted:

Woah. I am in Portland.

:pusheen:

Saoshyant

Escape From Noise posted:

Woah. I am in Portland.

My god... does it hurt anywhere??

sb hermit

cruft posted:

It's 2023. Always be switching jobs unless you're a CEO or someone that gets an expensive contract in exchange for guaranteed work product for a fixed period. If you left in the middle of working on something you own, then it keeps management on their toes and more nimble. Make the executives work harder for their own pay. Make them value documentation and mentorship. Once you have an out, you have no obligation to make their long term plans easier.

sb hermit

I guess, as long as you do the customary 2 week notice, you won't be entirely burning any bridges.

B33rChiller

sb hermit posted:

It's 2023. Always be switching jobs unless you're a CEO or someone that gets an expensive contract in exchange for guaranteed work product for a fixed period. If you left in the middle of working on something you own, then it keeps management on their toes and more nimble. Make the executives work harder for their own pay. Make them value documentation and mentorship. Once you have an out, you have no obligation to make their long term plans easier.

One other reason to stay is if you've got a good benefit package, and a db pension, but those things seem to be relics of the last century.

Dr. Honked posted:

Finger Prince

B33rChiller posted:

One other reason to stay is if you've got a good benefit package, and a db pension, but those things seem to be relics of the last century.

Hello!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

'sup punks

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

yeah i'm talkin to you, punk

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Charles Bukowski

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Good evening. Lots of machinery noise from across the river, pulp mill working overtime. I don't notice it unless it's in high gear these days. Shame, otherwise standing on my deck would be ideal right now.

Thank you Saoshyant for the lovely signature.

Finger Prince

I made burriot.

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

I made burriot.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Saoshyant posted:

My god... does it hurt anywhere??

I was gonna go out but I'm way tired after going around with my friend in the cold and rain so I think I'm gonna just rest.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig