Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I just want there to be William Lyon Mackenzie and Louis Riel as agitators. I notice there is an exile but no explicit execute option for agitators which definitely also happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

trotsky lived in NYC for a while and everyone hated him because he didn't tip

The oddest place this comes up is in the Film Manhattan Melodrama. In which two boys are orphaned during the sinking of a ship only to be adopted immediately by some dude hanging out at the rescue operation. Only for him to then be trampled to death in the next scene by a horse when a Trotsky speech in the park descends into a small riot.

Said film is most well known for being the first on screen pairing, of many many other, of Myrna Loy and William Powell. And for being the movie that Dillinger had just scene before he was cornered and shot to death by the cops. Not a great film, but alright. Kind of hard to measure up to the likes of The Thin Man

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

MatchaZed posted:

I just want there to be William Lyon Mackenzie and Louis Riel as agitators. I notice there is an exile but no explicit execute option for agitators which definitely also happened.

all executions should be by the classic paradox method: sailing them out to sea and deleting the ship

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
For some reason I thought they fixed that "you can only naval invade with an army from the same HQ" issue with 1.2 so I guess this run is bricked because I built my navy in the wrong place and now I can't actually use it without doubling the size of my army which I can't afford.

This is such a loving stupid restriction.

Edit: never mind, apparently it got changed but part of the UI still acts as though it works the same way it did before, false alarm

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 21, 2023

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

For some reason I thought they fixed that "you can only naval invade with an army from the same HQ" issue with 1.2 so I guess this run is bricked because I built my navy in the wrong place and now I can't actually use it without doubling the size of my army which I can't afford.

This is such a loving stupid restriction.

Edit: never mind, apparently it got changed but part of the UI still acts as though it works the same way it did before, false alarm

Which part of the UI?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wiz posted:

Which part of the UI?

The naval invasion tooltip still says that it requires an army based in the same HQ, there was something else as well which seemed misleading but I can't remember exactly what it was right now. I didn't have any armies mobilised at the time so it wasn't immediately apparent that actually everything was OK.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The bit that bothers me about naval invasions now is that you have to invade with an entire army.

So say you have a 100 regiment army and a 25 ship fleet and you want to do an overseas invasion. Your options are:

1. Invade with 100 regiments at a huge penalty
2. Retire your field marshal (with the attendant unhappiness in their interest group) and promote generals until you have four armies of 25 regiments, then invade with one of those armies

I'd much prefer it if naval invasions could be carried out by oversized armies, but instead of using the whole army at a penalty it just uses the number of regiments that can invade without a penalty. So like, if you invade with a 100 regiment army and a 25 ship fleet, 25 regiments get used in the invasion.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Technically you can also recruit a new general who will carve off a bit of the 100 regiment army for himself, but yeah the system's not great.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gort posted:

The bit that bothers me about naval invasions now is that you have to invade with an entire army.

So say you have a 100 regiment army and a 25 ship fleet and you want to do an overseas invasion. Your options are:

1. Invade with 100 regiments at a huge penalty
2. Retire your field marshal (with the attendant unhappiness in their interest group) and promote generals until you have four armies of 25 regiments, then invade with one of those armies

I'd much prefer it if naval invasions could be carried out by oversized armies, but instead of using the whole army at a penalty it just uses the number of regiments that can invade without a penalty. So like, if you invade with a 100 regiment army and a 25 ship fleet, 25 regiments get used in the invasion.

isn't the penalty so that the 100 regiment acts as a 25?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Popoto posted:

isn't the penalty so that the 100 regiment acts as a 25?

I think that's still worse. 100 regiments get into battles that are much larger than the battles 25 regiments get into, so 100 regiments at a 75% penalty is a lot worse than 25 regiments at no penalty, since the 100 regiment invasion will face much larger amounts of enemy regiments than the 25 regiment one will.

Casualties will be much higher, too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just saw someone call pops "worker mana"

"Mana" clearly now means "gameplay element I disagree with the implementation of"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

can't wait to put some stuff on the WoW auction house and refill my currency mana

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

V3 is ironically the first Paradox game where money hasn't been a mythical force which somehow pays for things while being simultaneously omnipresent and immaterial. But for some reason people are much more OK with "ducats" as an abstract currency than they are with "administration points"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
manaposting is funny because post I:R launch paradox made concerted efforts to move away from it. The shitpost regarding fuhrer mana was kind of the nadir of old pdx gameified systems.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

that's because people treat money like mana irl

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Capacities are so much more sensible and satisfying than piles of things that you accumulate over time and spend in chunks. I'm glad that's how everything works in Victoria, even money.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
asking my boss to improve my financial mana by 25%

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

just a friendly reminder to distinguish the ones working on the game (like Wiz) from people who set business practices and policies for the game. Honestly, this type of game has so many moving parts and system considerations that makes me imagine that expansion packs of old would be better instead of dlc granularity, since there's so much stuff possible to work on that makes sense in both theme and gameplay (imho).

Using Wiz as an example for that may not be the ideal representative, as its the game director who decides what type of products to make, when they should be out, and most other business related decisions.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

-25 blame mana

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

that's because people treat money like mana irl

Commodity fetishism and so on and so on. *Sniffs Zizekishly*

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Are there any countries other than Krakow which start out in a weak position but with liberal laws? I've been playing in Africa and SEA a lot recently and I'd like to not have another playthrough where I am still punching the landowners in the 1900s

Edit:

I guess I just realised I never did get around to playing as one of the Dutch South African republics, so I guess I should try that, though the whole "discriminating against all the pops" thing is going to be miserable

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 22, 2023

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

RabidWeasel posted:

Are there any countries other than Krakow which start out in a weak position but with liberal laws? I've been playing in Africa and SEA a lot recently and I'd like to not have another playthrough where I am still punching the landowners in the 1900s

Edit:

I guess I just realised I never did get around to playing as one of the Dutch South African republics, so I guess I should try that, though the whole "discriminating against all the pops" thing is going to be miserable

If you can keep the FRCA from exploding it's a fun run

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Edit:

Lanfang is the poster child for this, also starts in china's market for immigration shenanigans

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yuiiut posted:

If you can keep the FRCA from exploding it's a fun run

It's not even all too hard to keep it together, really. Violent Suppression when able, ratchet up the censorship laws as RNG allows, never ever pick something that would fire people, build logging camps, and feel free to reload to the earliest autosave if Costa Rica fucks off. I had the journal entry cleared by 1842.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

Using Wiz as an example for that may not be the ideal representative, as its the game director who decides what type of products to make, when they should be out, and most other business related decisions.

welp

(thanks for the clarification)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm enjoying the game but I really wish the game would tell me what other countries are doing and what is going on in the world. That and I wish events with decisions would pop-up rather than just giving a map icon and small notification bar that is easily missed if you are in menus.

Like, the US Civil War will kick off and unless you are periodically scrolling over in map view or notice the CSA appearing in the trade screen you will miss the entire thing.

Newspapers existed, give me some world news.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

jadebullet posted:

I'm enjoying the game but I really wish the game would tell me what other countries are doing and what is going on in the world. That and I wish events with decisions would pop-up rather than just giving a map icon and small notification bar that is easily missed if you are in menus.

Like, the US Civil War will kick off and unless you are periodically scrolling over in map view or notice the CSA appearing in the trade screen you will miss the entire thing.

This, but only in places where I have an interest. USA shouldn't care about a Qingsplosion if we don't have a Chinese interest.

...On second thought, maybe put that stuff on optional pages that you have to page through? It'd be nice to have those to read while cruising at Speed 5 waiting for laws to pass or something.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Qingsplosion is a bad example since that goes under something that should be global news imo

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Qingsplosion is a bad example since that goes under something that should be global news imo

It might get a brief article that says something like "Turmoil in China! No [insert your nationality here] were hurt."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Maybe you should always get notified when Great Powers go to war, but smaller powers it depends on your Declared Interests?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
And for the love of god, let us see the peace settlement after someone’s war ended

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

jadebullet posted:

I was honestly expecting this to be part of the first DLC.

It's a burst of flavour, and can be applied to every nation. Seems like a perfect DLC fit to me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't know if it would be anything different from the newspapers in the last V2 patch, which we all smiled and looked at a few times before ignoring and consigning to the notification bin.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

v2 newspapers were really bad because no work was put into them beyond the barest minimum. that's not a slight on the v2 team because doing newspapers right is a hard problem. i do think they could be legitimately useful if they ran articles like "prussia upgrades to line infantry!" or "communist revolution in britain, here's all the laws that they changed!", stuff that you really might want to know but which the interface can't easily serve up to you unless you go digging. less "Uruguay declares war on Paraguay!" and more of a way to keep tabs on the great powers and internal problems

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Real Victoria Newspaper System has never been tried.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

brb gonna rig chatgpt to generate like 3000+ blurbs of text

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I only really remember "Critics say Dead Souls is too hard"

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Part of why Vic2 newspapers got ignored was that doing the news in the form of fake newspaper articles makes it harder to show relevant information quickly to the player.

It would be better to have telegrams from the foreign office so they can be in bullet point and short sentence fragments.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I only really remember "Critics say Dead Souls is too hard"

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Antlerhill posted:

Part of why Vic2 newspapers got ignored was that doing the news in the form of fake newspaper articles makes it harder to show relevant information quickly to the player.

It would be better to have telegrams from the foreign office so they can be in bullet point and short sentence fragments.

I liked to drink tea while playing Vicky 2, and I read every drat newspaper the game would throw at me. :(