Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Gratuitous surveillance cameras in public spaces just send the message of "no lollygagging, citizen, go about your business", as if the war on free public spaces wasn't bad enough without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I personally hate public spaces so it's really easy for me to go to work and go home instead of using them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Aramek posted:

I personally hate public spaces so it's really easy for me to go to work and go home instead of using them.

I’m tired of all these greedy urbanists demanding a third place! There’s lots of people in this world who don’t even have one place and you want three?!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mu Zeta posted:

China is right to blanket their cities with security cameras. We shouldn't have any expectation of privacy in public spaces so I don't know why people go apeshit whenever they put in cameras.

Do all cops suddenly stop being bastards when they're put in charge of the greatest panopticon the world has ever seen?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Powered Descent posted:

Do all cops suddenly stop being bastards when they're put in charge of the greatest panopticon the world has ever seen?

Every single panopticon is poo poo at its job.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

China is right to blanket their cities with security cameras. We shouldn't have any expectation of privacy in public spaces so I don't know why people go apeshit whenever they put in cameras. Put the cameras everywhere, especially so we can give more speeding tickets and fine the fuckers that run stop signs to oblivion. Parking also needs to be way more expensive. At least $100 a day if you make over X yearly salary. Either that or remove all street parking and put parklets everywhere.

I value my relative anonymity in public. Your post reeks of "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide", which just puts you at the whim of whoever is deciding what "wrong" is.

I'm trans. There was a time in my life that going out in public, a lot of people would treat me as of I were doing something wrong, and a time where I had to present one way at work, and presented another way everywhere else. That's nobody's business but mine, but would be very easily picked up by an expansive surveillance system. "If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide" is the mantra of people who have never been an unpopular minority, imo.

Powered Descent posted:

Did they stop when everyone started carrying around cameras all the time?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I value my relative anonymity in public. Your post reeks of "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide", which just puts you at the whim of whoever is deciding what "wrong" is.

I'm trans. There was a time in my life that going out in public, a lot of people would treat me as of I were doing something wrong, and a time where I had to present one way at work, and presented another way everywhere else. That's nobody's business but mine, but would be very easily picked up by an expansive surveillance system. "If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide" is the mantra of people who have never been an unpopular minority, imo.

:emptyquote:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If I went to Europe for vacation I wouldn’t visit any of the holocaust places. That seems like an insanely depressing thing to do on a vacation.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Most women I know take off their bra as soon as they get home, but I like wearing a bra. Keeping my tits out of the way is pretty rad.

Gripweed posted:

If I went to Europe for vacation I wouldn’t visit any of the holocaust places. That seems like an insanely depressing thing to do on a vacation.

:agreed: If I'm on vacation, I want to party and/or chill while thinking about the negative aspects of real life as little as possible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think if I had the means to travel regularly I'd definitely visit but I've been able to afford exactly one overseas trip in my life so if I can afford another (not looking great) yeah I'd probably do something purely entertaining.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I don't think I could emotionally handle going somewhere like Auschwitz. I know it's an important place to visit and remember history, but I'd empathize with the victims so much that it'd tear me up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

YeahTubaMike posted:

:agreed: If I'm on vacation, I want to party and/or chill while thinking about the negative aspects of real life as little as possible.
If I'm travelling a long distance (like to another country or something) I'd feel like relaxing would be wasting my time.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I went to Prague with school in 9th grade, and we visited Theresienstadt. It was loving grim and even as a stupid teenager I was moved enough to not remotely consider a weird photoshoot.

I do not understand how people can do that, and how they do not get punched by the onlookers.

Edit: Admittedly I did not have a smartphone back then (or any camera, for that matter), but, nevertheless.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Phosphine posted:

I went to Prague with school in 9th grade, and we visited Theresienstadt. It was loving grim and even as a stupid teenager I was moved enough to not remotely consider a weird photoshoot.

I do not understand how people can do that, and how they do not get punched by the onlookers.

Edit: Admittedly I did not have a smartphone back then (or any camera, for that matter), but, nevertheless.

It makes sense, you take pictures at tourist attractions and they turned these places into tourist attractions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are museums. If people can't behave themselves, it's not the fault of the educational institution. Admittedly it's been like 10 years since I went toTerezín and a bit less since Auschwitz, but I sincerely doubt they put up rollercoasters since then. And even then there were morons mugging for cameras.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
A museum that doesn't have one of those shallow aquariums where you can bet little manta rays is a pretty lovely museum.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

no, Danny Green, you really didn't

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Abolish the word its, as distinct from it's. All possessives should have apostrophes. But that's just m'y opinion.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Accordion socks are the new long socks, I wanna see my ladies push that poo poo ALL the way down. ALL the way down!!!!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Accordion socks are the new long socks, I wanna see my ladies push that poo poo ALL the way down. ALL the way down!!!!

they do look p cute

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nameless Pete posted:

Abolish the word its, as distinct from it's. All possessives should have apostrophes. But that's just m'y opinion.

Go one step further and just abolish the apostrophe altogether, nobody knows how to use it and in almost all cases the meaning can be derived contextually.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tbh I think people are even worse at context than they are at apostrophes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The best part about quotation marks is that they can be used to denote sarcasm but also people use it to denote the opposite of sarcasm!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

Are there "different kinds of drunk" like my mother used to say? I have been drunk on beer, wine, tequila, etc. and it's all the same to me.

Yes but it's more social context and headspace than anything else.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUO: While Picard dropped the ball after the fourth episode, it did manage to fumble and pick it up for the last episode. Episode ten was ok, perhaps "good", even.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

It strikes me that the people who actually need to know and remember the horror of the holocaust so that they don't support a modern version, either do not have the means or are already treating it as some kind of weird-rear end theme park

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Forever Young is not that great of a song; far too saccharine for my taste. It's the sort of thing that was always destined to be a weepy graduation or wedding reception piece.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I wouldn't mind ubiquitous cameras in public areas, as long as the data is also available to the public.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Forever Young is not that great of a song; far too saccharine for my taste. It's the sort of thing that was always destined to be a weepy graduation or wedding reception piece.

Agreed. One of Hovas weaker joints

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Wait which Forever Young are we talking about. Because yes to both.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

exquisite tea posted:

Wait which Forever Young are we talking about. Because yes to both.

The nuclear holocaust ditty from Alphaville? Oh man, that's a favorite of mine.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

My parents bought me a birthday/their anniversary trip to Krakow earlier this year and My dad booked me and my partner an Auschwitz-Birkenau tour without asking. I was a little conflicted at first, but I'm glad I did it.

Not because it was fun, or not because it wasn't depressing, but because I think we can never get complacent or think genocide is reduced to history or was some kind of "one-off". And that's something our guide impressed on us - this isn't something abstract. This is ever present, it's just that the Nazis industrialised it. I think you can *know* this stuff abstractly, but it really does hit different.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not going, and I got really pissed off at the small number of people who seemed too dumb to realise the gravity of where they were, but the presentation is sober and respectful and I left with sense of responsibility and vigilance. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I certainly don't regret going. And our guide chewing out the disrespectful without giving a gently caress about reviews or customer service was great.

EDIT: I went in angry and sad that the holocaust happened, I left angry and sad that it could happen again

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Apr 21, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m tired of homages to the Akira bike slide. It’s been done to death. Have people look cool on bikes in more interesting ways

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They actually can't. That's one of the only only ways to look cool on a bike.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All the other possible cool ways you can look cool on a bike were already demonstrated in the 2004 film, "Torque."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ahh, Torque. Come for the blatant Pepsi Co product placement, stay for Adam Scott holding a giant key:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Im tired of people talking about biblically accurate angels.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A-Team (2010) was an awesome, tongue-in-cheek adaptation of the silly source material from the '80s. Anyone hating on it was either born after that era, or has a gigantic stick up their rear end about insignificant details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I am very pleased that slouchy socks are back. I wore them all through the 80s. I just got a pair of red and white Jordans that look really cute with big baggy socks.