Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you didn’t blow your legs off during the training and crouch walk to the exit you aren’t a real Deus Ex player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Big brained 11 year old me loved Liberty Island

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Throwbacks to "I can't get on the boat!"

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Vic posted:

But that's exactly what the DX demo is, and 14 year old me played the poo poo out of it. I can't think of a better introduction to a game too. The terrorist leader in the Statue of Liberty which you see at all times. The NSF are spaced out far enough you can just shoot everyone in the head without a supressor. It's the perfect playground and bouncing off it means bouncing off the game's mechanics.

Not just that, but my brother and I were amazed back in the day with the DX demo, that when you went to UNATCO HQ after Liberty Island for debriefing that it was just a big level with no combat where you just explored and talked to people etc. We figured that shortly after you set foot in UNATCO HQ that it'd immediately get overrun with NSF and you'd have to fight your way out just because that was our expectation of what a level in an FPS or action game would always do. Not that we hadn't played plenty of top-down RPGs with friendly towns and such but it was unheard of to us to see in an FPS. Maybe even more than Liberty Island, it might have been our indication that Deus Ex was something different than a typical FPS.
I guess you do eventually fight it out of UNATCO as a combat based level, but there's still plenty of locations in the game where you never do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Every Deus Ex level is a combat level if you believe in your GEP gun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grand Fromage posted:

Every Deus Ex level is a combat level if you believe in your GEP gun.

Sometimes you have to make a silent takedown

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Sometimes you have to make a silent takedown

Of Manderley.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brap posted:

If you didn’t blow your legs off during the training and crouch walk to the exit you aren’t a real Deus Ex player

Literally me though in my case I think it was having my legs machine-gunned, Cotton Hill style, by the security bot.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Angry_Ed posted:

Literally me though in my case I think it was having my legs machine-gunned, Cotton Hill style, by the security bot.

:patriot: (same)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
the naval shipyard is a much, much shorter level when you have your buds let you in and then kill everyone else

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
And for some reason they're Chinese? I never got that, did they just want to reuse assets from the Hong Kong levels?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Outpost22 posted:

And for some reason they're Chinese? I never got that, did they just want to reuse assets from the Hong Kong levels?

The ship came from Hong Kong, right?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The dock workers/us navy are american, and the crew of the chinese super frieghter are chinese. It's a whole plot point about FEMA taking control of the shipyard because a chinese ship with "pesticides" came in which the us navy guys call bullshit on. And you know Vinnie and he's cool.

e: Also "chinese for some reason" lol you just destroyed a giant plague printer in China, how did you miss that you're now scuttling a tanker full of aids?

Vic fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 21, 2023

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

It's neat seeing things that would be eye-rolls in a worse game pass because everything else is up to snuff. The game is very good about maintaining verisimilitude, so you don't care when you get to the shipyard and everyone is armed with a LAM to make sure you can sink the tanker.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

Cheston posted:

It's neat seeing things that would be eye-rolls in a worse game pass because everything else is up to snuff. The game is very good about maintaining verisimilitude, so you don't care when you get to the shipyard and everyone is armed with a LAM to make sure you can sink the tanker.

I refuse to believe there isn't a datacube on the supertanker, justifying every soldier carrying one.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

lol at all the wine on the ground in Paris. no improvements necessary, 5/5, perfect use of their assets

Zibraltar posted:

I refuse to believe there isn't a datacube on the supertanker, justifying every soldier carrying one.

If there's a playthrough where I wouldn't notice, it's this one.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The PRCS Wallcloud is so much fun once you know how abundant the explosives are though. LAW on a single guy? Why not! They give you so much boom to make sure you can't fail, might as well do it!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
One day I'll do a only on-site procurement run. Or at least start to but then end up going back to hoarding everything per usual.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Starting up another playthrough with Biomod. I always end up going non-lethal for the first half of the game... I want to try going heavy with flamethrowers and rockets for everyone in the early game one of these days but I always feel bad about brutally pwning the low-level grunts.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Paris catacombs feel like a Human Revolution level.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ever see the video where they just skip everything from the top of the tower by riding a lam down to the bottom.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Wait, do you have to crouch to stop being on fire? I did some cool sword poo poo and a guy caught me on fire and it was still going two medkits later so I tried stop, drop 'n roll and it worked??

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I think I am at the end of the game now in MD and one part made me laugh quite a lot

You are talking to the fake security guards in Brown's tower and everyone is playing it cool despite that there is a huge amount of blood directly behind him.

I thought the writing in this game was O.K., but this was just too silly to not laugh at.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Cheston posted:

Wait, do you have to crouch to stop being on fire? I did some cool sword poo poo and a guy caught me on fire and it was still going two medkits later so I tried stop, drop 'n roll and it worked??

You could also use a fire extinguisher from your inventory. That's not meant to be condescending, it just didn't occur to me for awhile that flamethrower enemies tend to be placed near fire extinguishers.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

You could also use a fire extinguisher from your inventory. That's not meant to be condescending, it just didn't occur to me for awhile that flamethrower enemies tend to be placed near fire extinguishers.

I’ve played this game a ton and had no idea you could use those.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mr E posted:

I’ve played this game a ton and had no idea you could use those.

They can also briefly stun foes and disable laser tripwires.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I'm experiencing really bad stuttering whenever I explode multiple things simultaneously. The game basically freezes for 2 to 3 seconds. I'm using Kentie's DX launcher and Biomod, and have tried every combination of the DX10 renderer, OpenGL, Software, borderless fullscreen, regular fullscreen, capping the FPS to 60 both in the launcher and in the Nvidia Control Panel, taking the resolution all the way down to 720p, and toggling "use single cpu". Nothing has worked. I'm on a very powerful PC and this is obviously quite an old game, does anyone have a fix? Is it just an engine thing when too many gibs have to be drawn? The game runs flawlessly otherwise, it's just a shame to have everything seize up if I decide to get buck with the GEP gun.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Try installing HDTP?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Alteratively, see if you can load your save in a totally unmodded game (Steam or otherwise). I'm trying to recall if the game 'hitched' during big explosions back in the day and honestly can't remember.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sometimes it hitches for maybe a couple frames on large explosions, but not multiple seconds

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Big Bizness posted:

I'm experiencing really bad stuttering whenever I explode multiple things simultaneously. The game basically freezes for 2 to 3 seconds. I'm using Kentie's DX launcher and Biomod, and have tried every combination of the DX10 renderer, OpenGL, Software, borderless fullscreen, regular fullscreen, capping the FPS to 60 both in the launcher and in the Nvidia Control Panel, taking the resolution all the way down to 720p, and toggling "use single cpu". Nothing has worked. I'm on a very powerful PC and this is obviously quite an old game, does anyone have a fix? Is it just an engine thing when too many gibs have to be drawn? The game runs flawlessly otherwise, it's just a shame to have everything seize up if I decide to get buck with the GEP gun.

I hade stuttering issues (not during explosions though) and fixed it by:

Setting max FPS on driver level to 120 or 144 (use your monitor's refresh rate) and editig DeusEx.ini (there's a link to it in the Kentie launcher window) FPSLimit=0 fixed it for me.

And when you say you have a new PC, isn't your CPU one of those with low power helper cores? Older games will have a problem with this so you have to run them on priority ones manually.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Serephina posted:

Alteratively, see if you can load your save in a totally unmodded game (Steam or otherwise). I'm trying to recall if the game 'hitched' during big explosions back in the day and honestly can't remember.

Yes, unfortunately it turned out to be something to do with Biomod. I installed a fresh copy with just the Kentie launcher and DX10 renderer. I couldn't load my Biomod save so I used console commands to get me to the Hong Kong market and spawn a GEP gun. I exploded the butcher shop guy and his meat and it didn't lag at all. I made a new save file here (pre-explosion). I then reinstalled Biomod and loaded both that new save as well as my prior one. Both had the bad hitching again. There didn't seem to be any more visual effects or gibs in Biomod. IDK. Kind of a bummer but not a huge deal.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Scholtz posted:

Try installing HDTP?

Update: To make a long story short, after doing some testing, the issue is specifically that Shifter (which Biomod is based on) has some additional code that looks for two specific files when gibs spawn that HDTP installs, and when it can't find them after several attempts, it then loads the vanilla graphical effects and that's what causes the hitching. The files in question are HDTPanim.utx in the Textures folder and HDTPItems.u in the System Folder.

I want to use the original weapon models but these overwrite those as well as certain world objects.

So pick your poison, I guess.

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 28, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The section "HDTP SUPPORT" here might help? It's for Shifter not Biomod but maybe it can point you in the right direction

https://github.com/TheLonerD/shifterdx/tree/master/DeusEx

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Scholtz posted:

The section "HDTP SUPPORT" here might help? It's for Shifter not Biomod but maybe it can point you in the right direction

https://github.com/TheLonerD/shifterdx/tree/master/DeusEx

I appreciate you linking that, but I actually already tried adding those lines to the .ini files and it didn't work. Biomod must have changed the way those aspects are handled for whatever reason.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
SITUATION: I want to play LDDP combined with Shifter or at least with some of the fixes from the Community Update.

PROBLEM: Not only are the Revision maps dogshit, but for whatever reason Revision's renderer kills performance when lots of effects are nearby (TNM title screen) or in areas with long sight lines (like Liberty Island).

SOLUTION: Ask internet for help. What is your wisdom, Internet?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just don't use revision?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

site posted:

just don't use revision?

Good advice in general, but I'm having trouble with getting LDDP to play nice with Shifter and Kentie's launcher. Just loading LDDP through Kentie's results in mismatched voices; the text for Alex's first infolink call is the same, but he talks about "the NSF have set up patchwork security systems here". Shifter does not work at all, whether loaded before or after LDDP.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

At the very least, these days I think you can just toggle the redone maps to off in Revision, so you can still run LDDP through it without the revision maps if you've gotta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Mischievous Mink posted:

At the very least, these days I think you can just toggle the redone maps to off in Revision, so you can still run LDDP through it without the revision maps if you've gotta.

They're the unfixed vanilla maps, iirc, without music in Hell's Kitchen 3 or logic fixes to prevent the game from thinking you went on an Anna Navarre killing spree in Battery Park. Also, no LDDP NPCs, which is a non-starter. Give me Liam or give me death.