Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

Guys, don't worry, according to The Washington Post the rocket blowing up was actually a good thing for Elon!

"Why SpaceX’s Starship explosion is a low-key success"

All according to plan :dumb:

In fairness - and without reading the article - I can imagine the technicians and engineers at Space X have probably gathered enough data about the failed launch to turn a failure into something useful. That's fine.

The good part though is knowing that no matter how the technical people are responding, Mubst is personally seething about it. And that, to me, makes the launch an absolute success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Generally to invoke things like, say, the NY state law Trump was indicted under you also have to show the fraudulent intent which is tougher than it appears. It's much easier (and within the SEC's purview) to imply fraudulent intent with boosted revenue on a public company because outside investors implicitly rely on your statements, and a 10K filing is a legal document that also carries perjury charges.

Musk giving a few of his favorite celebs free checkmarks? That's probably not enough to trigger anything, especially if he admits it after. If he did it with thousands and then tried to raise investor money off it? Then yeah, that's just fraud.

But he *did* hand those three out specifically because they're big accounts he personally knew about and they didn't want them. Strong "killing more people to hide your one intended target" energy

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

no one's going to sue over musk buying them a checkmark

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, there's a different case to be made about appropriating likeness or right to publicity for them, but it'd be a civil case as between Stephen King and Musk, not a crime. And King won't be suing Musk, it's probably enough that Musk is beclowning himself in this debacle.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Yeah, hate on SpaceX all you want, but they've basically been running under the actual cool and good stewardship of Gwynne Shotwell.

SpaceX is probably happy to have Elon tangled up in the Twitter debacle since it keeps him away from actually loving around with their rockets. I'm sure he has episodes where his back pain meds are overprescribed and he insists on being let onto the premises. They probably let him flail around like an idiot until he leaves.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The suits will come once some people start scamming as celebrities. Should be a fun argument to make that musk removed safeguards and is therefore inviting such actions.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

lol if the rocket blowing up causes Elon to focus more on SpaceX which leads to even more rockets blowing up lmao

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is the second funniest video of an unexpected explosion I've seen.

First is the Oregon Whale. Well, "expected" but not the way it went off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Bruceski posted:

This is the second funniest video of an unexpected explosion I've seen.

First is the Oregon Whale. Well, "expected" but not the way it went off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

this really should be an annual tradition in oregon

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Buce posted:

Fun fact, the car that got its roof crushed by a chunk of blubber was purchased a week earlier at a sales event called "A Whale of a Deal".

(Source: The car's owner was my dad's friend.)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

If aerospace means what I think it does - I’m violently hallucinating from a mix of reptile laxatives and drugs btw - then CNN ran a story about endangered birds in the muttering sand of barrier islands near Boca Chica. Today, only a few minutes after the launch, they were interviewing a giant bird and six inch by fifty inch shard of concrete just smashed it right there, live on camera. The camera man was so professional and kept it all in frame. These kid birds run up absolutely apoplectic making a whistling song-like scream. Well out of frame there’s a huge flash and then it shook and the kid birds were smashed way, way worse than the mom (I’m assuming). Really hard to imagine you causing anything close to that dude, calm down.

Concerning.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Gadzuko posted:

Concerning.

I'm sure it will get funny again if people say it another 150 times.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Working on it

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Mr Scumbag posted:

!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Buce posted:

I observe it as a holiday. November 9.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Fun fact, the car that got its roof crushed by a chunk of blubber was purchased a week earlier at a sales event called "A Whale of a Deal".

Was he the military ordinance guy who told them they were using too much and got brushed off? I heard that was his car but might have stories conflated. There's so much lore around the event. I'm so glad nobody got hurt so we're allowed to laugh.

My parents told me the story as a kid, I was really happy when I moved up here for college and found out it was true.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Working on it

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I observe it as a holiday. November 9.

Was he the military ordinance guy who told them they were using too much and got brushed off? I heard that was his car but might have stories conflated. There's so much lore around the event. I'm so glad nobody got hurt so we're allowed to laugh.

My parents told me the story as a kid, I was really happy when I moved up here for college and found out it was true.

The story I got was that my dad's friend, Walter Umenhoffer (sp?), who was quoted in newspaper stories at the time (and who later went on to own the local gun shop/shooting range), popped over to the coast from Eugene because he just wanted to watch the spectacle. He also said the car next to his had a kid in it and it was pure luck she didn't get crushed by blubber.

edit; I didn't know Walt too well, but his past seems to be quite the story, so maybe he was the military ordinance guy too?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The funniest thing about Elons dipshit "Concerning" and "Working on it" responses is it's 100% true to life. You just know he's been courted to over and over again on high stakes video calls. His emerald eyes glazed over as exceptionally qualified and prepared people sincerely deliver him the best information their years of study and experience can muster, and he just responds with a smooth brained "Looking into it." before moving on. LOL

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

SLOSifl posted:

If aerospace means what I think it does - I’m violently hallucinating from a mix of reptile laxatives and drugs btw - then CNN ran a story about endangered birds in the muttering sand of barrier islands near Boca Chica. Today, only a few minutes after the launch, they were interviewing a giant bird and six inch by fifty inch shard of concrete just smashed it right there, live on camera. The camera man was so professional and kept it all in frame. These kid birds run up absolutely apoplectic making a whistling song-like scream. Well out of frame there’s a huge flash and then it shook and the kid birds were smashed way, way worse than the mom (I’m assuming). Really hard to imagine you causing anything close to that dude, calm down.

I would like two of whatever you're having thanks

Mr Scumbag posted:

🤣

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Does Dave Barry know about this??

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

Does Dave Barry know about this??

Probably not. I heard it from my dad, who heard from Walt.

So, let's give it 50/50 that this fun fact is 100% true.

edit;
Well, that was easy. Thanks Google.
Eugene's CBS affiliate says it's true...according to Walt's kid. And maybe not a week earlier.

https://kval.com/news/local/a-whale-of-a-deal-man-recalls-how-familys-new-car-was-crushed-by-blubber-in-1970

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 21, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Probably not. I heard it from my dad, who heard from Walt.

So, let's give it 50/50 that this fun fact is 100% true.

edit;
Well, that was easy. Thanks Google.
Eugene's CBS affiliate says it's true...according to Walt's kid.

https://kval.com/news/local/a-whale-of-a-deal-man-recalls-how-familys-new-car-was-crushed-by-blubber-in-1970

perfect

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Deep whale explosion lore drops in the Musk thread on 4/20 hell yeah

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I can’t get over how much of a simp Elon is for Stephen King. Stephen King should do more to break his heart.

A new novel in which a boer/boar hybrid is relentlessly chasing a writer who had a car accident, named "The Dark Sowboer".

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's some Twitter laughs.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/04/17/david-koch-dead-twitter-crypto-scam-ad/

And if you don't want to read this, here is the funny Twitter related part.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 gottem

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BrigadierSensible posted:

:itwaspoo:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why is the scam website called "immediate edge"

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I like how his own dad threw him under the bus on the emerald mine thing lol

"yeah we absolutely had an emerald thing but it was all under the table so there wasn't really an 'official mining operation' we were just exploiting the poo poo out of the locals and I used the money to help Elon get his start in the US"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dragonstoned posted:

"yeah we absolutely had an emerald thing but it was all under the table so there wasn't really an 'official mining operation' we were just exploiting the poo poo out of the locals and I used the money to help Elon get his start in the US"

Notedly different than Elon's own sob story about not taking money from his father.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

Yeah, hate on SpaceX all you want, but they've basically been running under the actual cool and good stewardship of Gwynne Shotwell.

"Shotwell" :lol: Not that time!

But OK, I'll try not to hate on SpaceX, Scam Likely.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

My other username is "Trust me bro."

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dragonstoned posted:

Didn't Elon promise a million dollars to whoever could prove the emerald mine story?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt Crikey the new org that baited/dared the Murdoch son to sue them, and he did and now Murdoch family has another vector for a decent L or small W with AU courts.

I hope he loses the family a ton of money too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammond Egger posted:

Didn't Elon promise a million dollars to whoever could prove the emerald mine story?

A million dogecoin, of course.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Did Musk also have someone set up King's account to put double spaces between words (because that's an annoying boomer thing to do)? I notice it's only in his two latest tweets.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/mrseanhaines/status/1649253835997687810?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

https://twitter.com/mrseanhaines/status/1649270047414558721?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

https://twitter.com/mrseanhaines/status/1649274794695639042?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

On the day he stripped Hong Kong journalists, and lawmakers in exile/prison, of their verified status, Elon Musk removed the state propaganda label from some of the worst people on the planet. He's such an absolute vile prick.

e: Russia, too.

https://twitter.com/spenolpalinusa/status/1649244187143946240?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

The suggestion is that it might have been because all this stuff is linked and broken. I'm not giving Elon a pass for ignorance over malice when these state propaganda accounts are justifying and whitewashing war crimes and genocide.

https://twitter.com/mattbinder/status/1649248278792359944?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I must spew bullshit and this label must go!

Hooray! The label is gone!

Now I am free to speak the truth.

*Spews a continuous stream of further bullshit*

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/eladnehorai/status/1649262025296744450?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

to think that it's been less than a year since the dumbest man alive outed himself