Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 37 hours!)

licking baking soda comes across more clearly than whatever the manga translated Ruby's misspeaking Kana's crying ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Another great ep

Good ED too

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am liking how anime fans are seeing Aqua as an overprotective fuckbpi.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I already liked Idol's MV they did; but man, the OP and ED were both great. The animation and the songs, both.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh, I should hunt down that short story then, was always curious what happened to them.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/14Tv22nisKKGnhMuMCGOiE8TbSNsz93tzZqNT__TIr4s/mobilebasic

Here’s a TL by someone on Reddit

The lyrics of the OP are based on this

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 19, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

El Burbo posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/14Tv22nisKKGnhMuMCGOiE8TbSNsz93tzZqNT__TIr4s/mobilebasic

Here’s a TL by someone on Reddit

The lyrics of the OP are based on this

Thanks! Not quite what I expected but an interesting read nevertheless.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I enjoy this series, but there's something I've noticed about it and other "realistic idol" stuff. Feel free to ignore; this is just something that has gradually started bugging me and this is the most recent series in which it's come to mind.

Stories like this often have a superficial message of "the idol industry is problematic because the businesses and fans are often bad," but the actual message seems to be "idols are good and the only problem is that some businesses/media/fans are bad." It's less an "anti-idol" message and more just a "gritty pro-idol" message. The answer is never "perhaps this industry shouldn't exist" and is instead "the businesses and fans should be nicer." Instead of "idols are good because they're pure, etc" (the message of real life idol-related marketing) you get "idols are good because they're skilled professional entertainers," which is sort of superficially "empowering" but ignores/downplays the fact that these are still children being exploited by adults who should never have become "skilled liars" or whatever to begin with (and the reality probably involves *far* less agency in like 95+% of situations).

While it's certainly better than the alternative of just directly reflecting real world pro-idol marketing, it's also not exactly opposed to the industry so much as it is individual actors related to the industry, with little thought given to "perhaps there's something inherently wrong about an industry of underage sexualized performers." It also seems like there's often less focus given to how poorly the idols themselves are compensated, unless it's in the context of the entire agency struggling. In Oshi no Ko, for example, the small agency Ai was involved with is portrayed in a more-or-less sympathetic light. They are a small "mom n pop" agency you see, not like those faceless big agencies. The criticism also usually focuses on the way others treat the industry/performers, like tabloids or social media, rather than the the actual business itself and the fact that the performers are often literal children with no real agency. Crazy fans who get angry at idols for being in relationships, or tabloids who violate their privacy, are correctly condemned, but less attention is paid towards the fact that this is an obvious consequence of an entertainment industry focused on sexualized teenagers (and something that industry is responsible for).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GateOfD posted:

licking baking soda comes across more clearly than whatever the manga translated Ruby's misspeaking Kana's crying ability

I’m looking at my copy of English volume 1 right now, and Ruby calls her “A genius child actor with cryogenetics”, which yeah, while rhyming somewhat with “cry in ten seconds”, doesn’t make much sense. Also, where would Ruby come up with that term without Kana calling her out on knowing a word that strange after she tsuns about her actual title.

So yeah, baking soda makes a lot more sense.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

GhostStalker posted:

I’m looking at my copy of English volume 1 right now, and Ruby calls her “A genius child actor with cryogenetics”, which yeah, while rhyming somewhat with “cry in ten seconds”, doesn’t make much sense. Also, where would Ruby come up with that term without Kana calling her out on knowing a word that strange after she tsuns about her actual title.

So yeah, baking soda makes a lot more sense.

Now I wonder if that gag was ever paired up with the baking soda visuals in the manga. The anime goes hard on visual gag, so there's no way around it.

I've only read through Oshi no Ko once and am waiting on the physics to reread, so I can't recall.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There's no visual gag for the baking soda bit as far as I remember, that was added for the anime.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

RuBisCO posted:

Now I wonder if that gag was ever paired up with the baking soda visuals in the manga. The anime goes hard on visual gag, so there's no way around it.

I've only read through Oshi no Ko once and am waiting on the physics to reread, so I can't recall.

Nope, the baking soda imagery was added for the anime; there were never any accompanying visuals with Ruby’s mangling of the phrase in the manga.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I miss lick a lying snitch because that implies kana is known for beating the poo poo outta people

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I miss lick a lying snitch because that implies kana is known for beating the poo poo outta people

Yeah, that one works so much better than the “official” translation.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I enjoy this series, but there's something I've noticed about it and other "realistic idol" stuff. Feel free to ignore; this is just something that has gradually started bugging me and this is the most recent series in which it's come to mind.

Stories like this often have a superficial message of "the idol industry is problematic because the businesses and fans are often bad," but the actual message seems to be "idols are good and the only problem is that some businesses/media/fans are bad." It's less an "anti-idol" message and more just a "gritty pro-idol" message. The answer is never "perhaps this industry shouldn't exist" and is instead "the businesses and fans should be nicer." Instead of "idols are good because they're pure, etc" (the message of real life idol-related marketing) you get "idols are good because they're skilled professional entertainers," which is sort of superficially "empowering" but ignores/downplays the fact that these are still children being exploited by adults who should never have become "skilled liars" or whatever to begin with (and the reality probably involves *far* less agency in like 95+% of situations).

While it's certainly better than the alternative of just directly reflecting real world pro-idol marketing, it's also not exactly opposed to the industry so much as it is individual actors related to the industry, with little thought given to "perhaps there's something inherently wrong about an industry of underage sexualized performers." It also seems like there's often less focus given to how poorly the idols themselves are compensated, unless it's in the context of the entire agency struggling. In Oshi no Ko, for example, the small agency Ai was involved with is portrayed in a more-or-less sympathetic light. They are a small "mom n pop" agency you see, not like those faceless big agencies. The criticism also usually focuses on the way others treat the industry/performers, like tabloids or social media, rather than the the actual business itself and the fact that the performers are often literal children with no real agency. Crazy fans who get angry at idols for being in relationships, or tabloids who violate their privacy, are correctly condemned, but less attention is paid towards the fact that this is an obvious consequence of an entertainment industry focused on sexualized teenagers (and something that industry is responsible for).

This is mostly because the industry is not a monolith and some companies at every size do things differently and have different focuses on their groups, not to mention the problems in each company are unique.

Johnny's was the largest of the male idol companies and the rumors were around for years about the abuse directly from Johnny Kitagawa, but now that he is dead the whole roof has been blown off the story and the horrific truths are coming to light.

On the women's side, AKS was originally extremely skeevy but also skewed older. That company has been bought reorganized and is completely unrecognizable from its 2011 heyday.

Them you have hello project which was the titans of the late 90s to the mid 2000s. Most of their scandals involved exactly what is happening in Oshi no Ko.

The biggest company right now is probably Stardust. Their biggest group is Momoiro Clover Z. All of the 4 women in that group are in their mid 20s, including one who just got married. They have been active since they were kids and the biggest scandal to come out of them outside of the blackface debacle was some lovely weight shaming issues. That was nipped pretty quickly and the backlash from the fans was harsh against the company.

Stardust also doesn't deal in the weird sexual stuff that some of the smaller skeevy companies will do. None of their groups do gravure even the adult groups.

Overall the industry has matured and cleaned up a lot over the last couple of decades mostly due to former idols becoming power players in there own right. Sashihara Rino for example currently produces 3 groups and has done a lot to protect those girls while also helping them become financially successful.

Whoooo imma shut up about Jpop now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Its just a sorta extreme position to take. Like y'know it's difficult to imagine a story about a young actor which takes the position of "young actors should not exist" and is a story that features like a child actor that treats them sympathetically but is harsh on the industry and the people that exploit them really all that hypocrititcal? Like, y'know its kinda tough to get there.

The entertainment industry in general is pretty hosed and young people involved have always been exploited and used in many ways but in a story about these young people I don't think its exactly a weak or irrelevant take to be like "the industry is hosed up it needs to improve" instead of "the industry is hosed up it should be done away with entirely".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In terms of this particular series, I think it does go a little out of its way to point out that the problem is adults exploiting children and hiding behind the rationalization of "they knew what they were getting into." Like, I suppose you could handwave it as a form of blaming everything on bad actors, but multiple arcs are resolved by shaming adults into realizing that they're ruining children's lives.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
After watching the prelude again in the anime, I've got some predictions.

The one that seems sensible is that Ai was reincarnated as well and will end up meeting Aqua and Ruby at some point. That's just a nice way to give a happy ending to the tragic start, and once you've established that people can be reincarnated and keep their memories it seems like this would be very much on the table as a possibility.

The crazy prediction is that Ai was reincarnated into a character we've seen often in the manga but haven't really dipped into the head of. With Sarina's reincarnation happening well after she died, I feel like time doesn't really become a factor and for all we know she could've reincarnated to a time before she died (which seems like a stretch and weird, but it doesn't seem impossible). Memcho is one of my top picks for this theory, though I think we've been into her headspace at least once in a way that would make it not work out. I mostly just think this could be the case because all the emphasis on lying really has me thinking that Ai could've come back and just maintained a lie of living a false life/not interacting with her kids as a form of love by not traumatizing them with the crazy situation of her returning from the dead. There also isn't really a character younger than Aqua and Ruby that seems like a candidate to be a "Secret Ai" either.

I also feel like if Ai reincarnated she'll step up into things before Aqua completes his revenge plan, either to make him not go through with it or take revenge herself to spare him and Ruby.

Of course, the story loses some of its tragic impact if Ai does come back, but it just seems like that's the natural happy ending for things to reach eventually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I really don't expect that because it feels pointless more than anything else, but while reading your post my first thought was Frill.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Frill is the same age as Ruby

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We're talking about reincarnation ignoring time, which is pretty plausible if reincarnation exists.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

plz no, don't want it to turn out that everyone's a reincarnator.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think there is a chance at one more reincarnate and that's the twin's dad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Reincarnation of Oda Nobunaga, who was also Jack the Ripper in another life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

But yeah the reason I think their Dad might be reincarnated is it like is puts him in stark contrast with Aqua, who like steadfastly is not having sex with all these women who want to have sex with him.

If the dad reincarnated and then just knocked up a grown rear end woman at age 11or 12(which still very very weird lol), and Ai.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Aqua, who like steadfastly is not having sex with all these women who want to have sex with him.

Didn't Aqua have an affair with Mem?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I still wonder who that child was that gave Ruby all that exposition about the people who murdered her loved ones. I doubt it's Ai reincarnated, but could be a different person altogether.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Didn't Aqua have an affair with Mem?

I don't think that happened? He kind of chided her for casually inviting him to her room and being vaguely flirty with him, but there's no indication that anything happened after that.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I still wonder who that child was that gave Ruby all that exposition about the people who murdered her loved ones. I doubt it's Ai reincarnated, but could be a different person altogether.

They seemed more like a god or other supernatural being to me. Possibly connected to the shrine next to where the doctor died. Their whole existence still feels a little awkward to me, but would fit the best as the explanation for the reincarnation stuff in the first place, as opposed to just another expression of it. IMO.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 21, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/9LOAtu47Ey7sI6s/status/1648636529487802370

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:five:

Which Getter OP/ED was that by the way?

E:
:cheers: thanks
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 21, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omobono posted:

:five:

Which Getter OP/ED was that by the way?

It's Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Obvious question:

Who in New B-Komachi would pilot each Getter?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015994

Enough self care now

Akane v Aqua arc let's loving go

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ruby sucks, she only 'won' because Akane got tired lol.

animated Kana Arima is every bit as amazing as I expected,
When are Oshi no Ko figurines going to start being released. I will buy every Kana

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Ruby's almost excited enough to have her white stars back. I like the setup this chapter is doing, but also

GateOfD posted:

each chapter needs an omake page showing what Kana is doing if she isn't in the actual chapter

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Needs more Memcho by volume.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

was wondering how they were gonna portray the bad acting portion in anime form, they did it pretty well.
laughed at the guy's flat acting

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The first chapter of the new Aka comic is out

I continue to be impressed with his ability to write characters that I think I'd probably want to throttle in real life, but find them pretty entertaining in the context of comics

I also realizes this makes me a bit of a baby when it comes to reading about awful people, relatively speaking, but nobody's perfect

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
What's his new one called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild