Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xi's economical geass strikes down another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the gently caress

What kinda backwards yankee mother fucker doesn't know about swooping season

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
China maybe building new nuke plant in Turkey? wonder if that would be allowed to happen.
https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1648449635567157254

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ikanreed posted:

What kinda backwards yankee mother fucker doesn't know about swooping season

Fwiw magpies attack you in new zealand as well, I have also lost my sunglasses to a particularity intrepid kea

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Xi's economical geass strikes down another

this week on dragon ball xi

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the gently caress

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It takes a special sort of arrogance to be Australian. The land, the animals, God himself all want you to leave but you refuse.

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

Slavvy posted:

I have also lost my sunglasses to a particularity intrepid kea

:parrot:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mantis42 posted:

It takes a special sort of arrogance to be Australian. The land, the animals, God himself all want you to leave but you refuse.

the very light itself is harmful. having such a high UV radiation for a bunch of pale skinned immigrants is really quite funny. one of my friends went outside for about 10 minutes and he came back with a sunburn on his neckline.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the gently caress

Yeah it's plovers not magpies.

Masked lapwings are fuckers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

the very light itself is harmful. having such a high UV radiation for a bunch of pale skinned immigrants is really quite funny. one of my friends went outside for about 10 minutes and he came back with a sunburn on his neckline.

No ozone layer is always fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that hole never got fixed lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I still don’t see any evidence that china is threatening the US in any real way.
spreading peace is extremely threatening

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

crepeface posted:

owned.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

eSports Chaebol posted:

when I dated an Aussie the most disturbing thing was the casual way she described drawing eyes on her bicycle helmet so the magpies would try to peck those out instead of her actual eyes while she beat them off with a stick she had to carry with her when she rode

australia makes sense if you think of it as an arpg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1648902001240199170

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The magpies won't swoop you if they know you. They recognise and remember faces!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The magpies won't swoop you if they know you. They recognise and remember faces!

An evolutionary advantage over goons, frightening

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

An evolutionary advantage over goons, frightening

wow, rude. i have photographic memory for faces
my curse is i never remember the names

it's why people changing avatars fucks me up lmfao

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Truga posted:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

loving hell

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

How can you be on the peace talk panel and still get captured and killed. Was the peace talk just a bait?

Also torture is horrible. I think China should build that island outside of Luzon (Scarborough)

Whenever I read modern guerrilla activities news from India or Nepal, I kind of can whats going on and can kindof match particular civil war period of China. But whenever I read CPP news I have no idea what's going on and can not understand it through the content older history.

Truga posted:

You think that's bad? I can not remember the names of colleagues I worked with for a few years.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:42 on Apr 20, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

How can you be on the peace talk panel and still get captured and killed. Was the peace talk just a bait?

yes. The government never really takes peace talks seriously, and any attempt at peace talks is painted as "delaying tactics"

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

when I dated an Aussie the most disturbing thing was the casual way she described drawing eyes on her bicycle helmet so the magpies would try to peck those out instead of her actual eyes while she beat them off with a stick she had to carry with her when she rode

Did she start beating them with a stick before or after they started trying to blind her?

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Basically, the Philippine governments throughout different administrations have increasingly been opting to use the military to try and crush the rebels. In recent years they've tried their hand at bombing the countryside.

Right now there are several places where the government is really concentrating to wipe out the communist presence.

Stuff like accusing and red tagging every protester as part of the cpp or declaring that the cpp broke a ceasefire they never agreed to is just more signs of the government not really interested in anything other than using the military to put them down.

The governments are also fond of declaring that the maoist are down to a few thousand left and it'll over this year just you wait as the party celebrates its 54th anniversary.

The government also has a track record of taking indigenous land for business which is why a lot of the party members have indigenous backgrounds. The local term for them collectively is called lumad.

I suppose the big surprise a few weeks ago was that the new people's army getting into a skirmish with the military in a place just outside Manila the capital. The place also has lumads who are mad at the government trying to displace them to build a dam.

I think the philippine communist rebellion is harder to follow compared to india right now because the maoist aren't really interested in really big fights that are newsworthy. So far they've repeatedly said they are concentrating on getting more mass support that can sustain the formations needed to fight bigger battles. You'll just see news every week of one or two casualties for the government/rebels.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

if I were religious I would assume that Australia being filled with things that want to kill humans was a message from God

ATTEMPT NO LANDING IN AUSTRALIA.
ALL THE OTHER CONTINENTS ARE YOURS.

This just reminded me I went to a Frenzal Rhomb show years ago and they were selling 2 litre ice cream buckets with eyes drawn on them as promotional merch for their new single at the time titled 'Bird Attack'.

Truth be told though they're not all that precise with the eyes thing, and I know this because one time I was walking to a voting station to do my compulsory voting and one swooped me from behind and concussed itself by colliding with the back of my head.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Yeah that hole never got fixed lol

I thought it did

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Polgas posted:

Basically, the Philippine governments throughout different administrations have increasingly been opting to use the military to try and crush the rebels. In recent years they've tried their hand at bombing the countryside.

Right now there are several places where the government is really concentrating to wipe out the communist presence.

Stuff like accusing and red tagging every protester as part of the cpp or declaring that the cpp broke a ceasefire they never agreed to is just more signs of the government not really interested in anything other than using the military to put them down.

The governments are also fond of declaring that the maoist are down to a few thousand left and it'll over this year just you wait as the party celebrates its 54th anniversary.

The government also has a track record of taking indigenous land for business which is why a lot of the party members have indigenous backgrounds. The local term for them collectively is called lumad.

I suppose the big surprise a few weeks ago was that the new people's army getting into a skirmish with the military in a place just outside Manila the capital. The place also has lumads who are mad at the government trying to displace them to build a dam.

I think the philippine communist rebellion is harder to follow compared to india right now because the maoist aren't really interested in really big fights that are newsworthy. So far they've repeatedly said they are concentrating on getting more mass support that can sustain the formations needed to fight bigger battles. You'll just see news every week of one or two casualties for the government/rebels.

So how long before they go the El Salvador route and just declare indigenous people to be ethnically communist and fair game for killing?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

So how long before they go the El Salvador route and just declare indigenous people to be ethnically communist and fair game for killing?

they're not quite moving in that direction because it's far more useful for the Army to declare the Lumads to be oppressed and exploited by the communists, who are hiding among them to avoid prosecution, while simultaneously taking advantage of their disdain for government land-grabbing to recruit them into their ranks

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Didn't know Thaksin's (preggo) daughter is going to run for next Thai election, it's going to be a lot of drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZWoH1JsOVQ

Under the current constitution the Thailand PM doesn't have as much power as other countries PM, you still have the King and the army looming over you. Kind of like Iran president, but more competitive.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1649083530369200130
https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1649117026861080576

jesus that's grim

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't know Thaksin's (preggo) daughter is going to run for next Thai election, it's going to be a lot of drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZWoH1JsOVQ

Under the current constitution the Thailand PM doesn't have as much power as other countries PM, you still have the King and the army looming over you. Kind of like Iran president, but more competitive.

an end to monarchist power?

no! more dynasties!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The local revcoms seem to have a bunch of Filipino members and I kinda wonder what the dynamic is like between the members whose family are actively fighting a protracted people's war and the white chairman bob acolytes

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Apr 20, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1648944629151313920

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Latest friendlyjordies is pretty fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHvB6Fzemk

Topic: The extortion of 368 billion from Australia by the USA in the form of protection money.

(clears throat loudly)

Of course it's all complete rubbish. Haha. Ha.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Latest friendlyjordies is pretty fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHvB6Fzemk

Topic: The extortion of 368 billion from Australia by the USA in the form of protection money.

(clears throat loudly)

Of course it's all complete rubbish. Haha. Ha.

...I don't know about joining the Labor Party part, but again, it wouldn't be the first time that some more strategic portions of the outer core of the empire were better run than the core itself from time to time. (This is obviously not the case with the UK now.)

Supposedly, Australia may be allowed to play with some Virginia class subs at some point, but it sounds like they would still be under essentially the control of the DoD. Otherwise, there really isn't enough slack in US shipyards considering it is going to take most of 2020–early 30s to replace the Los Angeles class. If Australia is "buying" Virginia class submarines, it's going to be for the US essentially.

Australia isn't going to have much say about it considering its Collins class submarines would largely be obsolete at that point, and Australia from that point on would just be a pain pig for DC.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Apr 21, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ardennes posted:

...I don't know about joining the Labor Party part, but again, it wouldn't be the first time that some more strategic portions of the outer core of the empire were better run than the core itself from time to time. (This is obviously not the case with the UK now.)

Supposedly, Australia may be allowed to play with some Virginia class subs at some point but it sounds like they would still be under essentially the control of the DoD.

lmfao i hadn't heard that the us/aus sub deal had devolved to dumping our secondhands on them

it really was just about loving france, wasn't it?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
friendly jordies sucks

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Oneiros posted:

lmfao i hadn't heard that the us/aus sub deal had devolved to dumping our secondhands on them

it really was just about loving france, wasn't it?

It is about loving both France and Australia for the benefit of guess who. France loses a big contract, which weakens their ability to act as a independent arms supplier, while Australia has to buy some old US subs it probably can't use without US permission. In addition, Australia has to dump an ungodly amount of money on a whole new set of submarines that it probably doesn't really need (conventional subs would have been fine for defense).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:48 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i guess i haven't heard what aus's incentive in all this was. obviously the u.s. just wanted to gently caress france (and good, europe should be destroyed) but i dunno why aus has been playing along

i mean, other than the implication