Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I hosed up. I miscounted. What are my options

declare a war on someone, give up a province in the peacedeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I forget, can you force them to cede a province in a war?

yes you can

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

you'd need to make them give up two wouldn't you?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wafflecopper posted:

you'd need to make them give up two wouldn't you?

Needs to vassalize france anyway?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Pop out a vassal with cores on both your territory and theirs and use favours to ask for them back

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

France is already my PU. Can you get favours with a junior partner?

For what it's worth it wasn't MY gently caress up exactly, well it was, I just didn't consider that they might annex their vassals and get out of the range of that decision

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mfcrocker posted:

Pop out a vassal with cores on both your territory and theirs and use favours to ask for them back
This is what I was going to suggest.

Jay Rust posted:

For what it's worth it wasn't MY gently caress up exactly, well it was, I just didn't consider that they might annex their vassals and get out of the range of that decision
I'm 99% sure I curried favors with a subject of some sort in a prior patch, no idea if you are still allowed to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I cratered my economy to win the 100 years war, gotta do better next time to become the Angevin.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The secret is to not select the war option when that Hundred Years War event pops up, odds are it's too early for you to have gathered many favours with any allies

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah you get favours pretty fast in my experience. This is how I fixed France having 28 provinces pre-nerf in my current Angevin playthrough

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

The secret is to not select the war option when that Hundred Years War event pops up, odds are it's too early for you to have gathered many favours with any allies

Ehhh the war is a free win if you get the right allies. Castile+Burgundy is usually a free win, but Castile alone can do it too. Just make sure your troops are not in Normandy, wait for the French to bog down in Spain, and catch them in the Pyrenees.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The worst part about the HYW is hoping the War of the Roses doesn't fire at the same time

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

You dont even need allies, you can win it solo by going twice over your forcelimit with Mercs (I dont even know how youd call in any allies given that England is the attacker in the HYW so youd need ten favors for them to join)

IMO the hardest part of forming Angevin is praying that your starting king doesn't die while France is still outraged at you

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

You dont even need allies, you can win it solo by going twice over your forcelimit with Mercs (I dont even know how youd call in any allies given that England is the attacker in the HYW so youd need ten favors for them to join)

IMO the hardest part of forming Angevin is praying that your starting king doesn't die while France is still outraged at you

promising (and breaking that promise) of land

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

how do you do that though, the event fires and if you dont surrender maine you are thrust into the war as the sole attacker...can you call in allies with the promise of land AFTER a war has started?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

If I'm reading this right France is your Vassal. I'm pretty sure you can just seize individual border provinces in exchange for Liberty Desire.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It might be one of those decisions that require them to be loyal first, like telling them to convert to your faith.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I made this worse and accidentally gave France a bunch of land and don't even hit the minimum requirement for myself. Now I have to redo my game. Ugh.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mr. Grinch posted:

how do you do that though, the event fires and if you dont surrender maine you are thrust into the war as the sole attacker...can you call in allies with the promise of land AFTER a war has started?

unless they changed it recently yeah

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Grinch posted:

Yep. Go into the Diplo menu, click call to arms, check promise land box.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

JosefStalinator posted:

Ehhh the war is a free win if you get the right allies. Castile+Burgundy is usually a free win, but Castile alone can do it too. Just make sure your troops are not in Normandy, wait for the French to bog down in Spain, and catch them in the Pyrenees.

It's not an easy war if you're a new player who get England recommended a lot though. It's closer to being doable if you know what you're doing than a free win.

Still much easier than it was before promise land.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

If I'm reading this right France is your Vassal. I'm pretty sure you can just seize individual border provinces in exchange for Liberty Desire.

You don't get to do that if they're a junior partner in a PU (which France almost certainly is, the HYW CB makes them one)

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The easiest way by far is to declare on someone small that borders France, 100% them in the war and then force them to take the provinces in a peace deal. Even if they don't actually want the provinces they'll have to accept.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

France is under PU here. and you cant seize land from PUs.
Even in Laiths video he had to console command himself some provinces cause he hosed up and fed too much to France

Forming Angevin is really dumb; you have to complete a series of missions, to unlock a national decision, that then starts a parliament debate. All three have their own different requirements.
Also the mission tree to unlock the decision does not give you claims, and is completable if you OR your subjects own x many provinces in the region of France. France gets cores/claims, so you might be led to believe that using those claims is the way to go. But the requirements for the national decision are that YOU yourself have 25 provinces in France (despite not giving you the perma claims to do so).

Its convoluted and completely contradictory to their usual theme park vibe of "just do what the missions say to do"

Edit: Oh I also forgot that when you form Angevin, you only inherit France if they have less than 25 provinces. Otherwise you get to slowly integrate them the hard way and contend with that awful border gore

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 22, 2023

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Is the only way to raise merc militarization to click the button to pay money? Is there some form of passive gain I haven't seen?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

no thats it. they said passively gaining militarization was something they wanted to do away with. Now you have to pay to raise it and it will slowly decay

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Mr. Grinch posted:

Edit: Oh I also forgot that when you form Angevin, you only inherit France if they have less than 25 provinces. Otherwise you get to slowly integrate them the hard way and contend with that awful border gore

This was changed to less than 40 provinces in the 1.35.1

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Having a nice little Byzantium game and I'm happy to report that having a parliament doesn't really suck anymore. Feels like the numbers for bribes make sense now, the agendas feel better, and parliament seats getting nice boosts is the cherry on top. I might actually reform into one on purpose now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's been hotfixed, but I did a game as England into Angevin, and did EVERYTHING in my power to get the Burgundian inheritance. Got a bit lucky and got it, which really makes the process of going Angevin so much easier.

Except.

When Burgundy gets inherited, France gets Nevers as a vassal. Vassal Nevers blocks the completion of one of the missions that you need to get the parliamentary issue, and there's no way to force France to integrate it.

So I had to intentionally lose a war to Lorraine, 100% them and cede a path through Nevers, and now have to reconquer it again but take it for myself.

Kinda a loophole/bug they need to fix!

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Drakhoran posted:

This was changed to less than 40 provinces in the 1.35.1

yea I actually just made a bug report for this because the decision still says "inheritance possible since france has less than 25 provinces" as long as France has less than 40.
It reads as if you can start the debate with up to 40 but cant inherit with more than 25

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How long after a major patch/dlc does the anbennar fork become "ready to go!"?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jay Rust posted:

How long after a major patch/dlc does the anbennar fork become "ready to go!"?

If you mean a proper release then a few weeks, maybe. If you mean playable then it's already updated on bitbucket.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tl:dr what should I pick to play in this anbennar mod thing?

Hello thread, I've recently started playing Anbennar mod. I'll skip the introductions, and only say that I have terminal mapbrain and my steam is showing 2,500 hours for Hearts of Iron IV.

What's a good starting kingdom/country/nation? I have no idea how EU4 works, so mainly I was just futzing around with a few different tags before rage quitting.

Tried Gawed for a day but the starting economy is so awful and it feels pretty impossible to deal with Lorent at the start, as someone who has 0 idea about what they're doing.

For the past three days/weekend i've been messing around with the sun elves in Bulwar. Mainly Sareyand, and Birsartanses yesterday. Those mission trees were also super annoying because they require you to blob up specific territories but they all have alliances with like 50k armies and 150k manpower or something any time I look at the war declaration screen. Like Sareyand is a pain in the rear end to expand west because the Jadd is always coming for your rear end from the east and draining your manpower. Birsartanses sucks because the one obvious ally has rivalry by default at the start of the game, and you have no choice but to try and for gimmick alliances with everyone that you will be stabbing in the back in like 5 or 10 years.

So this mod, like pretty much every other Paradox game mod has a problem of telling someone new what the gently caress to play. Because the "Hey this is a fun country to play" paradox approach doesn't work, when the mod developers made the list like 5 years ago and never updated it again since then or something.

P.S., Also yes, EU4 user interface looks incredibly ugly and dated. When I saw the red text on screen for the first time I thought there was something wrong with my monitor. Until I was looking up screenshots somewhere else and it looked equally hosed up there.

P.P.S., Whoever said anbennar is good, lied. I don't know if it's EU, or if it's the mod, but it's very annoying and frustrating in a lot of stupid ways. I obviously have some kind of brain damage because I'm still trying to play it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The list of fun nations to play is updated, select your region on the left (where the alternate start dates would be) and it'll give you a summary of the area and suggest nations to play there.

If you're looking to learn EU4 and Anbennar at the same time I would suggest Arakeprun and forming Eordand. Their mission tree walks you step by step through consolidating (conquering) all your neighbors during the first ~50-100 years of the game. After which you're now Big and can take the fight to the colonizers.

If you want to stick to Bulwar since you have some familiarity with the region the obvious answer is Jadd, they're a lot of fun and are Strong.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anbennar is good

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Have you played base eu4? The mod assumes a significant familiarity with base eu4. It's not gonna be fun to play any huge mod without playing the base game.

Are you using the steam version of the mod? If you need to roll back eu4 to 1.34 because the steam version of the mod isn't updated yet.

Gawed is requires more or less one hard war at the beginning before becoming real easy. Bulwar elf alliance balls get blown up by an event in the 1500s. The countries to play list should have been updated in the last patch or so, when they added the picture select on the left for different nations.

For an actual recommendation the best new player nations are probably Verne, Lorent, and Jadd.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

tl:dr what should I pick to play in this anbennar mod thing?

Hello thread, I've recently started playing Anbennar mod. I'll skip the introductions, and only say that I have terminal mapbrain and my steam is showing 2,500 hours for Hearts of Iron IV.

What's a good starting kingdom/country/nation? I have no idea how EU4 works, so mainly I was just futzing around with a few different tags before rage quitting.

Tried Gawed for a day but the starting economy is so awful and it feels pretty impossible to deal with Lorent at the start, as someone who has 0 idea about what they're doing.

For the past three days/weekend i've been messing around with the sun elves in Bulwar. Mainly Sareyand, and Birsartanses yesterday. Those mission trees were also super annoying because they require you to blob up specific territories but they all have alliances with like 50k armies and 150k manpower or something any time I look at the war declaration screen. Like Sareyand is a pain in the rear end to expand west because the Jadd is always coming for your rear end from the east and draining your manpower. Birsartanses sucks because the one obvious ally has rivalry by default at the start of the game, and you have no choice but to try and for gimmick alliances with everyone that you will be stabbing in the back in like 5 or 10 years.

So this mod, like pretty much every other Paradox game mod has a problem of telling someone new what the gently caress to play. Because the "Hey this is a fun country to play" paradox approach doesn't work, when the mod developers made the list like 5 years ago and never updated it again since then or something.

P.S., Also yes, EU4 user interface looks incredibly ugly and dated. When I saw the red text on screen for the first time I thought there was something wrong with my monitor. Until I was looking up screenshots somewhere else and it looked equally hosed up there.

P.P.S., Whoever said anbennar is good, lied. I don't know if it's EU, or if it's the mod, but it's very annoying and frustrating in a lot of stupid ways. I obviously have some kind of brain damage because I'm still trying to play it.

I usually recommend Lorent to new players because it's basically just Anbennar's version of France. There aren't any super gimmicky changes or weird Anbennar-specific strategies you need to learn to succeed as them. You CAN use magic and other new mechanics, but it's optional. It's got a few minorities too so you can learn about the racial mechanics without being overwhelmed. You consolidate your vassals, expand against rivals, deal with the fantasy version of the HRE, and colonize if you want. Let the mission trees guide you (and read them!).

Like others said, you need to have EU4 experience to do well in Anbennar. The mod is hard as hell, but has mission trees and crazy twists and turns that make base EU4 look pathetic by comparison.

Rynoto posted:

If you mean a proper release then a few weeks, maybe. If you mean playable then it's already updated on bitbucket.

Is the bitbucket version stable/playable? They changed a TON of mechanics around, and I worry that it might screw up some of the missions.

Jay Rust posted:

Anbennar is good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lmao “I haven’t played the base game and have no idea what I’m doing but this total conversion mod is bad and you’re all liars”

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I know it might be lame, but if you have no idea what to do in EU4 you might want to take 30 minutes and watch a tutorial. It's still my favorite Paradox game and I've been playing since it was released. That said there are still systems upon systems that I hardly interact with. Everything is confusing and there are a lot of menus which some people love and some people hate (and mana).

It was the last game they made before they really started modernizing systems and UI. Hearts of Iron 4 feels like the turning point where they really started to streamline things and make more accessible games.

Hopefully you enjoy learning how to play, and if not maybe your brain isn't broken enough to enjoy EU, and that's cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lostconfused posted:

Well, Lorent is basically Gawed's only serious rival, so yeah you probably want to go in any other direction first. Gawed has a lot of easy gains, though- the Alenic micronations to the north and especially the Kobolds are going to be free real estate. I think the strat there is ally* Deranne and any other Lorentish minor that'll have you, integrate the Westmarches, go ham in the north/east and then go south. Your economy is weak, ish, but all economies are weak in the beginning of EU and Gawed actually starts out wealthier than anyone in its immediate region, so you're at no disadvantage.

*If you're coming from HOI- and to a lesser extent, any other Paradox series- you may underestimate how central diplomacy is to EU. There are a lot of countries and you have a lot of ways to interact with them, and there's none of the event and focus-tree stuff that railroads diplo in HOI. Alright, Anbennar specifically has some of that, but it's still a lot more open than HOI. You really want to have as many allies as possible (note: there is a limit on how many diplomatic relations you can have at once) at all times, and preferably ones that are a) large and b) situated in your primary rival's flank (so: Deranne).

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 26, 2023