Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i play zelda games for one reason only: to determine whomst i would most like to gently caress

This is disgusting. I play these games with love and a marriage partner in mind. Get your head out of the gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think we’ve now passed the midpoint between the gameplay demo and release day; that is, we’re closer to release than to when the gameplay demonstration video came out.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Everyone knows Hyrule was drowned in WW because The Thirst™ for Link was so great that it flooded the world.

In other news, we're 3 weeks away from a new Zelda :toot:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Japanese television spots have been out, not really much to pick over in them since they're mostly the final trailer split up. There's a few extra screenshots on Tutorial Island on the world website but it's really only an extra angle on things seen. Probably not going to have anything else until the reviews/street-date breaking leaks.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I agree with the crazy person who doesn’t like the dungeons. I can think of two from TP that I liked and that’s it. Does the fortress in WW count? Or the sunken castle?

I’m not including 2D Zelda dungeons in this, those are fine. But the 3D ones are almost always my least favorite parts of the game. Dunno why. This is part of why BOTW is my favorite in the series by a lot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

my horrible admission is that i've only ever actually beaten WW and BOTW, but god drat i love those games so

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ytlaya posted:

This is disgusting. I play these games with love and a marriage partner in mind. Get your head out of the gutter.

I hope she says yes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Off the top some cool dungeons

Forest Temple
Shadow Temple
Ice Mansion
Jonah and the Whale
Earth Temple
The TP Temple of Time Forest Ruins one
Sky Temple
Arbiter Ground
Ganon Tower
Ganon Tower
Pirate Fortress
Gerudo Sneaking
Dodongo Cavern
The crazy tall ice one
Sandship
Weird Forest Temple
Spinner
Magnet Boot
The WW ones that were upcycled OoT/MM dungeons

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its weird that every one of the Child Link dungeons in OoT has you go inside something's mouth

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Having a BOTW save unlocks korok seed hunting, which is normally not in the game, but now that it has evidence you enjoyed it...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I also do not play Zelda primarily for the dungeons, which is what made Breath of the Wild so goddamn good to me, and something I hope Tears of the Kingdom doesn't forget in its expansion.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's less hunting and more if you think to pick up a rock every so often while tooling around and you'll probably find a Korok, the largest demographic in the kingdom.

Shiroc posted:

Its weird that every one of the Child Link dungeons in OoT has you go inside something's mouth

2 of the 3 are somebodies innards so it tends to follow.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 21, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I have a confession.

Despite getting all 120 shrines and finishing the Hero’s Journey and getting the motorcycle and getting the ancient bridle-

I can count on like two hands the number of times I’ve ever summoned the stupid horse. I would just fast travel or fly off a cliff or run and hunt or climb and pick mushrooms.

I hated the horse mechanics in BOTW and I played through all of Witcher 3 and all of RDR2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Those stones looked like forbidden gushers. Must be delicious

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OY
WHATS THIS
Nintendo just posted it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtPO2X1pXQ
"Introducing BOTW"

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 21, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My Japanese is still extremely weak but I think it’s just a story summary video of what was in BOTW to get people ready for Tears.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Is this the Giant Horse?

I named him Potoooooooo

Gonna mention that the implication is that this horse is related to Ganondorf's horse in Ocarina of Time. It looked quite similar and was also huge.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ganondorf went from mummy to daddy in three years and ten months. I'm so proud of him!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I defeated a gold lynel.

They're really easy with a multi shot bow you just have to vaguely gesture at their face with.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Upsidads posted:

OY
WHATS THIS
Nintendo just posted it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtPO2X1pXQ
"Introducing BOTW"

Looks like a plot summary?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Looks like a plot summary?

That's pretty obviously what it is. Previously on The Legend of Zelda...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kidcoelacanth posted:

right now it's the bucket head guy

:huh:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

away with ye, false prophet

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Zat posted:

That's pretty obviously what it is. Previously on The Legend of Zelda...

Is this the first time Zelda's had a sequel like this? All of the previous direct sequels had the characters go on a completely new, unrelated adventure but this one seems like a direct continuation of the same story?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Zelda II: Adventure of Link?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zat posted:

Gonna mention that the implication is that this horse is related to Ganondorf's horse in Ocarina of Time. It looked quite similar and was also huge.

I thought it sort of looked like him. It wasn't that difficult to tame. I had to drink a stamina potion to not get bucked off.

I probably wouldn't have been able to sneak up on it without the Sheikh gear. I fed it some apples and murdered a Lynel in front of it to gain it's trust. I guess that's the difficult part, you have to go straight through some enemies to get it to the stable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Is this the first time Zelda's had a sequel like this? All of the previous direct sequels had the characters go on a completely new, unrelated adventure but this one seems like a direct continuation of the same story?

As mentioned, Zelda II makes the Hyrule of the original LoZ a small part of its broader overworld and is a direct story continuation. That's probably the closest we have though.

All the other ones are OoT->MM, WW->PH, LttP->LA which function like you describe. I guess the weirdness of the Oracle games might count but even then despite being super closely tied together if you do the link content they have mostly different worlds and casts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm replaying TP (on Gamecube-- It looks like a blurry mess on my tv lmao) and I have two thoughts: the bosses are way, way easier than I remember them, and while the spinner itself is kinda lame it enables what I think is the coolest boss of any Zelda game. Also I never tire of the musical flourish that rises when you expose the boss weakpoint.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

space uncle posted:

I have a confession.

Despite getting all 120 shrines and finishing the Hero’s Journey and getting the motorcycle and getting the ancient bridle-

I can count on like two hands the number of times I’ve ever summoned the stupid horse. I would just fast travel or fly off a cliff or run and hunt or climb and pick mushrooms.

I hated the horse mechanics in BOTW and I played through all of Witcher 3 and all of RDR2.

Dark Beast Ganon was very hard for me because I barely rode any horses and kept going straight into his legs and falling off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't like the horses in this game at all, I also ignore them most of the time. The master cycle is way better, and looks rad as hell bringing it into the final boss fight.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I rode a horse in BOTW like, twice

Once when the opportunity first arose so I could learn how, and once to see if I could mount the Lord of the Mountain (I did)

Riding bears, on the other hand…:hmmyes:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The mounted archery isn't bad but up until now I haven't bothered much with horses. I preferred Witcher 3, although I hated mounted combat in that. The Giant Horse is only the third one that I stabled.

On the other hand, I found two new shrines in like an hour just riding down roads I wasn't using because I was flying or warping. That's pretty cool considering I'm winding down on the shrines. I think I have about 100 now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yeah I didn’t care to ride horses much either. I wanted to climb and see everything. The horse worked fine and I had some fun catching and taming them, but I didn’t really have reason to ride them much.

I do wish I could have kept the stalhorse though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't do much horse riding but it is incredibly chill to just trot around on the map with the horse on autopilot, just taking in the scenery.

e: and the horse riding music is cool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/melay_kh/status/1649440136541925378?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Horses in BotW are good, I like how they stop automatically when there's an obstacle and how they get scared at lightning. Obviously you should be able to collect materials on horseback, but the bigger issue is that they designed this world around climbing, not horseback riding, so when you start a journey on horseback there will almost certainly come a point when you have to get off

Are there actually people who don't like the RDR2 horses? That feels like such an obvious example of good video game horses.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I shield surfed more times than I cooked and I could feed an army

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Khanstant posted:

One day I want a sequel series to let you start off exactly as OP as you started off in the last game and they just make harder stuff to fight. This isn't the place for that, but I'd like a Yakuza or Metroid or Mass Effect game like that someday.

The only time I've seen this happen is Banjo-Tooie, you kept all of your abilities you learned in the first game right off of the cuff (I'm pretty sure) and you only got new stuff. Sure, it didn't make you OP but it was pretty awesome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man that's a great one. Good catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

The dungeons are the best part of almost every Zelda game
Okay? You're allowed to find different things fun than I do.