Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

B B posted:

The executive branch has pretty much zero control over enforcement of marijuana policy, so no.

Isn't the scheduling of Marijuana being reevaluated by the DEA or something? if it goes to Schedule II then it would be easier to move it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

Isn't banking (or lack thereof) one of the major challenges for any marijuana-related enterprise? Maybe it's been resolved by intrastate banks but I seem to remember a bunch of articles about how it was effectively a cash business since major banks wouldn't touch anyone involved due to federal regulations, and fear of scrutiny from the FDIC (or other banking regulators).

Every dispensary has an ATM because you can't pay with cards.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Every dispensary has an ATM because you can't pay with cards.

I have been to a dispencery where you can pay with cards - but it needs to be rounded to the nearest dollar so it *looks* like it you used their ATM.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Clarste posted:

Baby Einstein is like a million times more likely to just end up in a low paying job anyway, with no time to think about physics.

Bold of you to assume he won't get caught in a mass shooting or have an encounter with a law enforcement officer, before he gets trapped in a dead end job wishing he could have never existed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Everybody talks about all the baby Einsteins but what about all the baby Hitlers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

I mentioned that in my post…

Right, but you also said they're not trying to ban Democrats. Would you have preferred I just quote the bottom half in bold as well with a :thunk:? You can say that they would just be doing Democrats a favor, but it doesn't change the fact that they're actively trying to do the thing you said they're not doing while using weasel wording to avoid saying specifically that they're targeting Democrats. Just like how they used a suspiciously specific year for abolishing the Reedy Creek district to try to stick it to Disney.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

WarpedLichen posted:

Everybody talks about all the baby Einsteins but what about all the baby Hitlers.

Ben Carson wouldn't abort baby Hitler.

Neither would Ben Shapiro.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

and yet these people get offended and think it's a woke conspiracy when AI won't say a slur to defuse a nuclear bomb in a theoretical scenario

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxyclean posted:

and yet these people get offended and think it's a woke conspiracy when AI won't say a slur to defuse a nuclear bomb in a theoretical scenario

Well yeah, because the only people slurs hurt are subhuman. Baby Hitler is white!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Isn't banking (or lack thereof) one of the major challenges for any marijuana-related enterprise? Maybe it's been resolved by intrastate banks but I seem to remember a bunch of articles about how it was effectively a cash business since major banks wouldn't touch anyone involved due to federal regulations, and fear of scrutiny from the FDIC (or other banking regulators).

Other financial service processors are also an issue, such as companies that handle payroll. There are generally options for such services, but very limited.

The problem is much broader than the federal illegality of cannabis products; financial service providers are willing to take some degree of risk based on the long term viability of the market (since it seemed like a lot of money). However, that risk is based on the eventual legality of the specific industries and practices, and the extant cannabis industry is widely populated by the worst scumbags imaginable. Even under any regime where cannabis itself is legal, there's a problem if you're marketing it in forms that are obviously appealing to kids, or as a medical treatment, or it's actually a synthetic purified concentrate of one cannabinoid, or it's just a drug, or you're a cartel front, or you're bribing state officials, or you're just trying to hide income. All of which are rampant. It's not worth the cost for, say, an insurance company to try to check on whether you're doing all those things before they charge you for their service.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 21, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Randalor posted:

Right, but you also said they're not trying to ban Democrats. Would you have preferred I just quote the bottom half in bold as well with a :thunk:? You can say that they would just be doing Democrats a favor, but it doesn't change the fact that they're actively trying to do the thing you said they're not doing while using weasel wording to avoid saying specifically that they're targeting Democrats. Just like how they used a suspiciously specific year for abolishing the Reedy Creek district to try to stick it to Disney.
I’m not sure why you’re taking a tone with me. I think it was just sloppy communication, no weasel, no weasel. The original post was suggesting taking away rights from republicans, “ban them from [doing] poo poo” whereas the Florida bill (which is stupid, and absolutely not becoming law) just kind of bans the word “democrat”.

If you want to say they’re roughly equivalent things, yeah okay, I can buy that, they both fall under the general heading of “targeted towards members of a party.” But that doesn’t change that different things appeal to each party’s pool of potential voters and passing “republicans are poopyheads” bills has absolutely zero upside for them. Why would anybody think that it’s smart to emulate Republicans? They have terrible, unpopular ideas.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 21, 2023

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Cannabis banking is getting a little better. At least in Washington state there are banks actively advertising services for cannabis firms, and even the state government provides some options on their website.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mooseontheloose posted:

i know we've talked about this before but who votes for these dipshits. Who honestly believes that this is the most PRESSING thing in America? Like I kinda get the low tax people because at least it effects your paycheck in some way but who goes, YEP this is the thing that's going to make my life easier.

Republican supporters, to whom oppression for minorities is the main concern and political goal. Someone knows a non-wealthy Republican? Related to one? Friends with one? The reason why they are a Republican is to specifically make the life of a minority or multiple minorities bit more of a living hell, and believing anything else is a coping mechanism. It is not about making their own life easier and really never has been. This is also a reason for most of the wealthy ones but they actually benefit on a personal level as well.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I’m talking about morality, not legality - you said abortion is never wrong, but there’s real and demonstrable harm being caused by the way it’s being selectively applied, right?

It is being selectively applied because of various other societal factors. The act of abortion itself remains morally meaningless.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 21, 2023

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Does anyone have any good articles about why transgender athletes should be able to play in sports? I'm trans, my partner is trans, but she is mostly on the side of trans athletes have an advantage and shouldn't play, but has expressed openness to the alternative. I used to be in the same boat, but then I read some things and changed my mind, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk to her about it without potentially remembering incorrectly and I don't have any data to go along with it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

I’m not sure why you’re taking a tone with me. I think it was just sloppy communication, no weasel, no weasel. The original post was suggesting taking away rights from republicans, “ban them from [doing] poo poo” whereas the Florida bill (which is stupid, and absolutely not becoming law) just kind of bans the word “democrat”.

If you want to say they’re roughly equivalent things, yeah okay, I can buy that, they both fall under the general heading of “targeted towards members of a party.” But that doesn’t change that different things appeal to each party’s pool of potential voters and passing “republicans are poopyheads” bills has absolutely zero upside for them. Why would anybody think that it’s smart to emulate Republicans? They have terrible, unpopular ideas.

I wish I had your hopeful optimism that the bill that "just kind of bans the word "democrat"" won't be both immediately repeated in every other Republican-controlled state as soon as the one in Florida passes, and that they won't try to expand it out further from there. There's nothing stopping them from expanding it from "Party that has at any point supported slavery" to "A party who has executives who worked for a party supporting slavery" or "A party who's candidates ran for a party that supported slavery" (I don't know how many R elected officials were former Ds, but it wouldn't be the first time that Republicans brought forward bills that were immediately used against them).

I'm also not entirely sure the exact process behind forming a new party in a given state, but you can bet that the Republicans would do all they can to drag out the process to reduce the amount of time the new party has before the next election or two. And the party would have to be fully dissolved and reformed, otherwise you know the Republicans would just hammer on the "They support slavery and are trying to decieve you by changing their name" button (well, okay, they'll still do that, but Dems have a tendency to follow the rules and ~decorum~ as much as possible). If anyone talks about emulating the Republicans here, it's mostly just wishing the Dems would be willing to fight dirty in the slightest way rather than constantly being clowned on by Rs and going "Ah, but we have our principles and decorum, look, we tried to work with them." It's why Joe actually standing firm on the clean debt bill is so surprising/refreshing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I guess Texas has been feeling left out of the conversation about which state is the worst.
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1649183211946233863?t=SLXl4XyloTyOjVSiqUAhEg&s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If they really wanted to craft a bill to target republican legislators and the car dealership owners funding them, they'd go after testosterone clinics.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

OneTwentySix posted:

Does anyone have any good articles about why transgender athletes should be able to play in sports? I'm trans, my partner is trans, but she is mostly on the side of trans athletes have an advantage and shouldn't play, but has expressed openness to the alternative. I used to be in the same boat, but then I read some things and changed my mind, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk to her about it without potentially remembering incorrectly and I don't have any data to go along with it.

I don't have any articles on hand but almost every article on the topic buries a very important detail. There haven't been any trans athletes blowing up their respective sports. It's all been a series of mediocre performance pre transition -> transition -> mediocre performance post transition.

I'm sure one day we could have a Michael Phelps transition and dominate a scene for a bit but so far we've just had people with average high school/college level talent getting way more attention than they should because of bigotry. I remember when the MMA scene was going totally apeshit arguing about Fallon Fox... and then she just lost a bunch and the narrative of this big monster man beating up women kind of lost its steam.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Randalor posted:

I wish I had your hopeful optimism that the bill that "just kind of bans the word "democrat"" won't be both immediately repeated in every other Republican-controlled state as soon as the one in Florida passes,

Dude, it's not going to pass. It is not a serious legislative proposal, it's a dumb edgelord political stunt. There are a lot of reasons to be worried about our Democracy but "dumb weird bills banning political parties" are not one of them.

Talahassee Democrat posted:

[Ingoglia] tweeted "Fact check: TRUE" late Tuesday when a supporter suggested he had "single-handedly trolled an entire state political party."

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...ty/69953767007/

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

I guess Texas has been feeling left out of the conversation about which state is the worst.
Ten commandments in every classroom? At some point you're just wasting wall space...

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Gyges posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1649183211946233863?t=SLXl4XyloTyOjVSiqUAhEg&s=19

Anytime I hear about Oklahoma and the ten commandments, I'm reminded of the good work of the satanic temple(not to be confused with the church of Satan):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/put-a-satanic-monument-at-ok-capitol#/

Followed by this:
https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/02/politics/oklahoma-supreme-court-orders-removal/index.html

Hopefully we'll see a similar response and soon images of Baphomet will grace the interior of every classroom in Oklahoma.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gyges posted:

Just do what Oklahomans tried to do when the legislature put a Ten Commandments monument on its capitol grounds: erect a seven-foot tall statue to Baphomet to be put alongside it.

Of course the Satan statue didn't go up because the SCOTUS ruled the Ten Commandments monument unconstitutional, but Texas is a big state and I bet you could find some Satanists willing to make up some Satanic literature to be distributed and displayed in school classrooms across the state free of charge.

DarkCrawler posted:

Republican supporters, to whom oppression for minorities is the main concern and political goal. Someone knows a non-wealthy Republican? Related to one? Friends with one? The reason why they are a Republican is to specifically make the life of a minority or multiple minorities bit more of a living hell, and believing anything else is a coping mechanism. It is not about making their own life easier and really never has been. This is also a reason for most of the wealthy ones but they actually benefit on a personal level as well.

What data do you have to support this? Even personal anecdotes? How many Republicans do you, personally, know in real life?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Gyges posted:

Very excited for TST to sue to force children to pray to Satan every day

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Judd Legum seems to confirm what I was assuming yesterday: The GOP House Majority Leader in Tennessee was using the legislature's discretionary budget to move the sexual harassment victims of the House GOP Vice-Chair to a hotel for the rest of their internship to protect them from sexual harassment and to protect the GOP Vice-Chair from having any charges or complaints against him made public.

Then, after it became too big to cover up (and because the intern declined to file any specific charges) they investigated him through the ethics committee because state law prevents employers from leaking details about sexual harassment victims to the public.

This is apparently a semi-regular thing for the Tennessee legislature:

quote:

But, in a series of email exchanges, Ridley insisted that the legislature's policies prohibit her from providing any additional information, including information about the expenditure of state money to assist the victim.

"No information concerning a complaint, investigation, lawsuit or the implementation of corrective action will be released to anyone not directly involved in such a matter," Ridley said.

"The Legislature will comply with the confidentiality provisions of the Workplace Discrimination and Harassment Policy."

Tennessee lawmakers have faced repeated criticisms over the years for what some see as a lax approach to sexual harassment and discrimination.

In April 2019, Rep. Rick Staples, D-Knoxville, was found guilty by the ethics subcommittee of engaging in sexual harassment after an unnamed woman said he "grabbed and held on to her waist while standing behind her after he had made inappropriate comments about her appearance” during a visit to the legislature.

Staples later resigned from his leadership position with the House Democratic Caucus.

In 2017, Republican Rep. Mark Lovell resigned after a sexual harassment investigation.

Before that, in 2016, the House expelled Rep. Jeremy Durham, a Franklin Republican, following an investigation that found he had engaged in misconduct involving 22 women.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1649166910703976449

Also, to the surprise of basically nobody (except for maybe one or two posters on this site and Twitter who said it would never happen) Biden is officially announcing his re-election campaign next week - delaying the panic about about a potential Kamala Harris presidential campaign for another 4 years.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1649171323157970944

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Judgy Fucker posted:

What data do you have to support this? Even personal anecdotes? How many Republicans do you, personally, know in real life?

This data to start with:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4028078&pagenumber=23&perpage=40#post530950726

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OneTwentySix posted:

Try this one: https://academic.oup.com/jes/article/6/5/bvac035/6550171

Also a more readable interview with a doctor from NPR.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

to those of us who actually have to live under republicans, grew up with republicans, grew up with literal klan kids sitting in the desk next to us at school-

you really don't get what makes them tick no matter how many times you repeat your same hot take and we have enough problems trying to make this place ok without needing yet another loving foreigner telling us how everyone knows the truth except the people who live this poo poo every day, not forums days, the actual irl days of our lives

you do not know or understand how these fascist fuckers work. nobody needs you to explain them. please stop.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gyges posted:

extremely laughing at the one guy they talked to who opposes the bill

quote:

In opposition to the bill, John Litzler, general counsel and director of public policy at the Texas Baptists Christian Life Commission, said at the committee hearing that the organization has concerns about taxpayer money being used to buy religious texts and that parents, not schools, should be having conversations about religion with their children.

“I should have the right to introduce my daughter to the concepts of adultery and coveting one's spouse,” Litzler said. “It shouldn’t be one of the first things she learns to read in her kindergarten classroom.”

who can disagree?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Your cited articles do not back up the claim "The reason why they are a Republican is to specifically make the life of a minority or multiple minorities bit more of a living hell...It is not about making their own life easier and really never has been." That is an egregiously spurious extrapolation of opinion polls of registered Republicans, and not "Republican supporters."

I have a feeling based on your non-reply you know zero Republican voters in real life, and why would you? You live in Finland. If you actually knew the average person who votes R once every two or four years you'd know how full of poo poo you are.

The vast, vast majority of people who vote in Congressional and Presidential elections don't know anything about politics. They don't know what the GOP or Democratic platforms are. They aren't thinking about how awesome it would be to keep People of Color or queer folk down. They vote based on tummyfeels or legacy bullshit like "I've voted R my whole life and I'm not about to change" or "Republicans are the business party." That's it. I've even met a person who has unironically told me they vote for the candidates who had the most yard signs they saw on the way to the polling place.

You know nothing about this country and really just need to shut the gently caress up about it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

to those of us who actually have to live under republicans, grew up with republicans, grew up with literal klan kids sitting in the desk next to us at school-

you really don't get what makes them tick no matter how many times you repeat your same hot take and we have enough problems trying to make this place ok without needing yet another loving foreigner telling us how everyone knows the truth except the people who live this poo poo every day, not forums days, the actual irl days of our lives

you do not know or understand how these fascist fuckers work. nobody needs you to explain them. please stop.

(I don't know of any Klan kids I sat next to but otherwise everything else is the same)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Your fascist fuckers are not special or unique, the same things motivate and drive them that have driven and drive fascists in other places. Unless you can actually demonstrate what it is that I have missed or don't understand beyond vaguely defined nativist appeals, I'll keep on describing Republicans with accuracy, thanks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Your fascist fuckers are not special or unique, the same things motivate and drive them that have driven and drive fascists in other places. Unless you can actually demonstrate what it is that I have missed or don't understand beyond vaguely defined nativist appeals, I'll keep on describing Republicans with accuracy, thanks.

Yeah, you're wrong about what drives fascism everywhere else. You're a moralist and moralism doesn't say much about how the world actually works. Your entire philosophy is "evil people are evil and I know they're evil because they're the evil people with the evil people signifiers" and no one can actually do anything with that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DarkCrawler posted:

Are there a lot of white nationalists in Finland, a nation where by American standards your entire population is already white?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Judgy Fucker posted:

Your cited articles do not back up the claim "The reason why they are a Republican is to specifically make the life of a minority or multiple minorities bit more of a living hell...It is not about making their own life easier and really never has been." That is an egregiously spurious extrapolation of opinion polls of registered Republicans, and not "Republican supporters."

I have a feeling based on your non-reply you know zero Republican voters in real life, and why would you? You live in Finland. If you actually knew the average person who votes R once every two or four years you'd know how full of poo poo you are.

The vast, vast majority of people who vote in Congressional and Presidential elections don't know anything about politics. They don't know what the GOP or Democratic platforms are. They aren't thinking about how awesome it would be to keep People of Color or queer folk down. They vote based on tummyfeels or legacy bullshit like "I've voted R my whole life and I'm not about to change" or "Republicans are the business party." That's it. I've even met a person who has unironically told me they vote for the candidates who had the most yard signs they saw on the way to the polling place.

You know nothing about this country and really just need to shut the gently caress up about it.

(I don't know of any Klan kids I sat next to but otherwise everything else is the same)

It is not actually possible to know the average Republican personally, and I don't know why you think knowing a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of Republicans makes you or any other single individual an authority on the issue. That is why we determine the dominating currents through wide-ranging interviews, polls, studies, etc. And over literal decades we have a pretty clear picture of what it is that makes a fascist.

I already posted why it is infantilizing and downright offensive to paint people whose conception of politics is different or less articulate from yours as "not knowing anything about politics" or not being political actors. Refer to that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4028078&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post530923996

You seem to believe that a single statement about why someone votes is an accurate picture as to their political conception, without any other exploration of their political beliefs. If you would bother to do so, you might actually find that their conception of what the world is or ought to be matches very well with the Republican philosophy. Legacy voters are not political tabula rasas who pull the lever like automatons.

Someone who votes based on yard signs is obviously not a Republican. I am not sure what your goal is with that anecdote.

Nativism is not substitute of actual arguments and one sentence is not the entirety of someone as a political actor.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, you're wrong about what drives fascism everywhere else. You're a moralist and moralism doesn't say much about how the world actually works. Your entire philosophy is "evil people are evil and I know they're evil because they're the evil people with the evil people signifiers" and no one can actually do anything with that.

That's not my philosophy, though. That is your lie about my philosophy that you are unable to support with actual evidence.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Are there a lot of white nationalists in Finland, a nation where by American standards your entire population is already white?

10-15% of the population. There are non-white people here, including myself.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 21, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Dude, it's not going to pass. It is not a serious legislative proposal, it's a dumb edgelord political stunt. There are a lot of reasons to be worried about our Democracy but "dumb weird bills banning political parties" are not one of them.

It's a "dumb edgelord political stunt" that's been introduced to the Florida Senate. Sure, it may not pass, but we are also in a reality where a Republican governor of a state is waging a political war against their biggest employer (and largest source of revenue, I think?), and just recently had a president who's entire method of operation was "dumb stunts".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Of course the Satan statue didn't go up because the SCOTUS ruled the Ten Commandments monument unconstitutional, but Texas is a big state and I bet you could find some Satanists willing to make up some Satanic literature to be distributed and displayed in school classrooms across the state free of charge.
Don't worry, this already exists and is ready to go!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Judd Legum seems to confirm what I was assuming yesterday: The GOP House Majority Leader in Tennessee was using the legislature's discretionary budget to move the sexual harassment victims of the House GOP Vice-Chair to a hotel for the rest of their internship to protect them from sexual harassment and to protect the GOP Vice-Chair from having any charges or complaints against him made public.

Then, after it became too big to cover up (and because the intern declined to file any specific charges) they investigated him through the ethics committee because state law prevents employers from leaking details about sexual harassment victims to the public.

This is apparently a semi-regular thing for the Tennessee legislature:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1649166910703976449

Also, to the surprise of basically nobody (except for maybe one or two posters on this site and Twitter who said it would never happen) Biden is officially announcing his re-election campaign next week - delaying the panic about about a potential Kamala Harris presidential campaign for another 4 years.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1649171323157970944

Is there a particular reason that the announcement is being made via video, as other outlets are reporting?

And is that the first time a campaign for presidency was launched with a video, as opposed to an appearance that maybe includes a video?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

And is that the first time a campaign for presidency was launched with a video, as opposed to an appearance that maybe includes a video?

Apparently no: https://www.politico.com/story/2011/04/obama-launches-reelection-campaign-052457

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

Is there a particular reason that the announcement is being made via video, as other outlets are reporting?

I don't know if there is a particular reason or not. But, launching a campaign with a video that is followed by a speech a few days later is pretty common. Off the top of my head, Obama, Nikki Haley, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, and John McCain all did it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know if there is a particular reason or not. But, launching a campaign with a video that is followed by a speech a few days later is pretty common. Off the top of my head, Obama, Nikki Haley, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, and John McCain all did it.

It's basically a way to get cheap media hits. You say you are putting a video up its reported, the video is reported on, and then your announcement is talked about into a media cycle about the announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ It also controls the narratives & avoids any pesky unscripted questions.

Thanks!

This was a funny tidbit from that piece:

quote:

Nearly absent from Monday’s rhetoric is the “hope and change” theme that dominated Obama’s effort for four years ago – a recognition that the meme just wouldn’t float after his failure to deliver on some of his more high profile promises from 2008 such as closing the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, passing immigration reform, attacking global warming and ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan more quickly.