Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Also, this being a webcomic, the author wanting to avoid "training montage that turns into three years real-time of comic" in order to get into the meat of things is probably part of it. K6BD has places to go, and isn't afraid to make time jumps to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
dng dng dng dng dng dng dng
WHITE
dng dng dng dng
CHAAA-IN
She'sthesaviourofthemultiverse

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bit weird to see a bunch of character beats demonstrating emotional and mental development and goal-setting, and then go "my god she's buff now after the angel said they'd train her, where's all the emotional and mental development"

speaking of people who undergo emotional growth, here's

mr boop
book 2, 96-100
https://mrboop.net/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Worth noting that this was originally posted in 2021 or there abouts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What was the really cool weird colour comic that was posted here I think some weeks/months back? I had a tab open but then I closed it :(

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kit Walker posted:

Yes, or at least something more or less explaining what life for Allison has been like for the last year

I was assuming that what we are seeing now is what life for Allison has been like for the past year

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What was the really cool weird colour comic that was posted here I think some weeks/months back? I had a tab open but then I closed it :(

Well. Almost certainly not Pictures for Sad Children.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Comic delayed because my wrists hurts a tiiiiny bit and I don't want to make that into a bigger injury.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Whybird posted:

I was assuming that what we are seeing now is what life for Allison has been like for the past year

Yeah, the end of last chapter laid out pretty clearly what will happen next (Allison will need to train and grind some mooks a lot to level up), so it's pretty clear to me what's been going on. You could even say that the comic is showing it to me instead of spending panel after panel and text bubble after text bubble telling me what happened.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also it's pretty clear that while Alison has been working out, she's also still a furious dumbass who rushes into situations without really thinking them through, which is consistent with her characterisation up til this point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also it's pretty clear that while Alison has been working out

her phone has, however, been eating her posts

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Yeah, the end of last chapter laid out pretty clearly what will happen next (Allison will need to train and grind some mooks a lot to level up), so it's pretty clear to me what's been going on. You could even say that the comic is showing it to me instead of spending panel after panel and text bubble after text bubble telling me what happened.

Well, it's called "show and tell" so the comic should have done both :colbert:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Mad respect for just time skipping. It feels wrong but it's the right move if you're trying to hit the key points for your story. You don't want a year of filler so that you can wait out a training thing. Instead they just decided "Hey nothing important is going to happen during this, so let's get to the next plot point." You only really see that in comics that have an ending because, well, they have something to get too.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Mad respect for just time skipping. It feels wrong but it's the right move if you're trying to hit the key points for your story. You don't want a year of filler so that you can wait out a training thing. Instead they just decided "Hey nothing important is going to happen during this, so let's get to the next plot point." You only really see that in comics that have an ending because, well, they have something to get too.

I also liked feeling a bit disoriented at first, and then realising a bit by bit what has been going on as Buff Allison starts doing her new thing which is also a lot like the old thing. The brain loves being given a bit of stuff to figure out and a lot of artists miss out on giving their audience that pleasure because they want make sure that the reader don't miss a single detail about the world and the story they've painstakingly put together.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It was Forming. I started with "metamorphosis" which didn't feel right to me, and ended up Googling "formation comic" and that was close enough!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

started an imgur account with my spam google account for all future uplaods

RICE BOY

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I also liked feeling a bit disoriented at first, and then realising a bit by bit what has been going on as Buff Allison starts doing her new thing which is also a lot like the old thing. The brain loves being given a bit of stuff to figure out and a lot of artists miss out on giving their audience that pleasure because they want make sure that the reader don't miss a single detail about the world and the story they've painstakingly put together.

Put that way it feels like an entertaining mirror to the start of the comic where Allison is disoriented, confused and terrified in a sprawling uncanny alien world that she's now far more of a part of.

Also comes to mind that of all the criticisms levied against One Piece for taking so long for everything, often valid ones, it doesn't generally linger on training arcs. See also the year+ timeskip and how new abilities and techniques are introduced with a brief flashback showing how the character learned them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

Fortunately for you BSF enjoyers out there, I am hotlinking from my own webhosting for it, so there will be no interruptions. I can do that because BSF is not and has never been popular enough for bandwidth to be a concern. :smug:

Anyway I don't know if it's really clear here but Mighty Shield, the spell Mindy does for the group fighting the core guardian, is the spell Lina tried and failed to cast on the Slime King way back in the "here goes nothing!" sequence during the first Emperor fight.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

(In case you don't recognise her with normal hair and also older - Mingxing was HP's mother's teammate)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Opplopolis: not the end.

And that's the end. Per the author:

quote:

I’m going to keep posting Friday updates for a little while. Next week I’ll talk about plans for the book, what’s left to do, funding, time-frame etc…
I am probably gonna buy the books when the second one comes out.

And I'll likely post something else at some point but eh, not right now.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Thank you so much for posting Opplopolis, oh my god. One of the best metafiction things I've ever read, a definite favorite for me.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I definitely need to go back and read it all the way through now. Thank you for sharing!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

THE DRAW PLAY

dumb fans complaining about the league taking measures to make the sport safer

two huge names of the time: tony romo and eli manning. tony romo was the quarterback for the dallas cowboys for a long time and saw decent success but never won The Big Game. Eli Manning beat the patriots in the superbowl twice while playing for the new york giants. tony romo got a lot of hate from fans of his own team for lots of stupid reasons and from lots of honest bad luck. they would say unscientific things like "he's not clutch" which doesn't really have any measurability they just want to complain in a way that appeals to the emotional rather than the rational part of the brain. if we look at regular season stats tony romo was a top quarterback up to that point in many significant categories and dallas was lucky to have him. "Driving" in football refers to the team that has the ball taking it down field quickly and efficiently. If your team has the ball and they keep having successful plays and are moving the ball steadily down the field without trouble, you would exclaim, "Wow! We're really driving the ball down the field!" and your fellow fans would nod with an air of understanding. If time is running out and your team is losing and the quarterback delivers a pass to a receiver and they score the winning touchdown as time expires you might yell, "That was CLUTCH!" Quarterbacks may be labeled as "clutch" if they have a tendency to never give up and deliver wins from the jaws of defeat multiple times a year. Or "unclutch" if they don't.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Previously on Opplopolis: not the end.

And that's the end. Per the author:

I am probably gonna buy the books when the second one comes out.

And I'll likely post something else at some point but eh, not right now.

Thanks for posting this. It became my favorite in the thread and I’ll probably buy the books.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I will be fascinated to know what people think Opplopolis was about, because it's clearly not up-front about it.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

old man yells at cloud

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

I will be fascinated to know what people think Opplopolis was about, because it's clearly not up-front about it.

Easily the best deep dive into the horrors of male circumcision since Silent Hill.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

Right now all I’ve got is that gif of Benoit Blanc saying “It makes no drat sense! Compells me, though” and that’s about where I’m at on it. Having the very end come through in two-page drips made it pretty challenging for me to stitch them all into a narrative, which is a big part of why I want to go through and read it all again - when i can have the start of the story in my short term memory providing context for the end of the story I feel like there’s a lot of things I’ll pick up on that weren’t obvious the first time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'd say that Opplopolis isn't exactly about anything at all, though the plot does explore the themes of identity, class, art, and knowledge. Toss in some cool concepts, scenes, and set pieces, and it's more about the journey than the destination. In any case, it's real good so thanks for sharing it!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Touhou Peanuts

As you may have guessed, Sanae and Youmu here both debuted as fifth stage bosses.

Not giving her a longer description since this is the only time we'll be seeing her, but that's Utsuho Reiuji, hell raven with the power of nuclear fusion.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Coca Koala posted:

Right now all I’ve got is that gif of Benoit Blanc saying “It makes no drat sense! Compells me, though” and that’s about where I’m at on it.

Ditto.

I guess the maybe idea in broad strokes is that the nature of meaning itself is fundamentally illusive, and that we as people need to create meaning and patterns that are themselves nonsensical (because they exist in an a priori nonsensical world) to impose a sense of order on a universe that resists it.

I half-remember all this poo poo because the comic was posted over months but here's my little gloss on it -

The journalist tries to uncover a deeper meaning by investigating a supposed conspiracy, but finds nothing but a weird metatextual joke. The spy tries to hide this meaning (because she is being paid by the upper class folks who value this meaningless symbol), but is foiled because it is revealed Marveldyne isn't worth hiding. In the end they find each other and decide to leave the pursuit of abstract meaning behind.

The scholar tries it by learning, he gets lost in the literally endless collection of human knowledge and is almost consumed by it, at the end (the last page), he realizes he doesn't know poo poo and has to cede his role to the next generation. The AI thinks it is itself the ultimate goal of existence because it may contain the sum of all knowledge, but it gets defeated by an old video game and a farcical switcheroo trick, which clearly shows it does not know everything. The hacker kid is hot poo poo for now, but, since he is the inverted mirror-image to Pangolin, he too will presumably lose the plot and be replaced in time by a younger more savvy generation.

The rock star tries to find meaning in art, she literally fractures herself in the process of trying to separate the art from the artist, in the end she doesn't even know who she is anymore and abandons art. Her colleague does the same. In the end they meet in a simple rustic cottage and appear ready to finally just be themselves together.

The upper class folks try to find meaning in the wisdom and symbols of the past, as well as the duty of hiding this from the rest of society for their own benefit, but they become visually and socially disconnected from the present and we learn they have fundamentally misinterpreted their own symbology and spend their time in performing arcane rituals they themselves don't understand and are meaningless. They are trapped in the the past.

The hitman doesn't kill a single person (iirc?) and is only interested in destroying the mystifying symbols of whatever Marveldyne is, for reasons I don't quite understand. Maybe his unclear motives are the very point, and he is something like an avatar of entropy that calmly destroys the embodiment of meaning simply because that is the inevitable result of human endeavour vs an an indifferent and incomprehensible universe in which they must eventually die.

Anyway that was a fun little thought exercise. I'm sure there are tons of other equally valid interpretations other people may have.

damn horror queefs has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Apr 21, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think the ending of Opploplis is a major letdown, myself. To have it build up to something only to unceremoniously end isn’t satisfying for me at all

Van von Hunter

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

thetoughestbean posted:

I think the ending of Opploplis is a major letdown, myself. To have it build up to something only to unceremoniously end isn’t satisfying for me at all

This was the only way Opplopolis could end at all. To me, it was a comic that was about what it was about, and a take on the idea on a comic being "about" anything at all. What could Marvedyne have been that would make everything come together in a satisfying, sensical way? The characters' hunt for Marvedyne is a parallel to a reader trying to tie the story together, but in the end all Marvedyne was - and the comic itself - is a hollow shell. We've been taken for a ride, but isn't the point of a ride to be fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

I think it's in the nature of the story that an actual conclusive ending isn't really possible, and the ending we got was better than any explanation could have been. The ending of the comic echoes the deleted ending of Spy Femmes: the what of the buried case doesn't matter and never did, it just had to take a certain shape. The ending has the shape of an ending, hitting every beat that it's supposed to. We see the good guys overcome their various trials and receive their happy endings, and although we never actually get to see the path they take to get from Point A to Point B, we still get to watch them travel it with a lot of charm.