Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Also I have to stress how nice it is to play AW without squinting at a handheld. It was fine as a kid but I find an hour session of Days of Ruin pretty uncomfortable these days, even on a DSiXL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

beer gas canister posted:

Aw poo poo Crimzon Clover is on sale again. If you're into action games this is a mandatory buy. One of the best games on the system https://www.dekudeals.com/items/crimzon-clover-world-explosion

I've played it, it's ok. I'd say a 7/10 game, and worth a go on sale.

I can appreciate that shootem up fans have disappeared into a hyperbaric time chamber and been refining shootem ups into the most shootem up shootem up that ever shot em up, but there's a distinct lack of innovation in the whole fan scene. It all just felt like more of the same.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
60 bucks for advance wars reboot?!?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

60 bucks for advance wars reboot?!?

Yeah wtf. I went to the store to buy it assuming it was like $20. Cool games but no.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was not the face I was making when I paid $70 for TLOU part one it was more like

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And it wasn't even a gameboy game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i paid $50 for it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mister Facetious posted:

Isekai-ay, motherfucker

Seriously though, it's the "Stranger in a Strange Land" genre, typically involving one or more of the following:
- dimension travel
- time travel
- reincarnation
- the Quantum Leap thing where YOU are now the person who's body you're inhabiting

The one constant is retaining your memories of your previous life.

Motherfucker if there's an English term for the genre then why throw out anime terms, in that case? Mark motherfucking Twain had an "isakai" story so anime sure af didn't invent the concept.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

isekai is one word, and shorter.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Silver Falcon posted:

Motherfucker if there's an English term for the genre then why throw out anime terms, in that case? Mark motherfucking Twain had an "isakai" story so anime sure af didn't invent the concept.

To be pedantic it also almost always involves power fantasy, which Stranger in a Strange Land didn't.

Usually also accumulating a cadre of beautiful women because they're marketed towards teenage boys.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

isekai is one word, and shorter.

Utterly irrelevant if nobody knows what the word means. If you have to define a word every time you use it outside of a specific circle of people, you have officially stopped saving anybody any time and you are instead an incurable nerd who needs to just use words people understand. :colbert:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
all according to keikaku

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sorry you stopped learning new words a while ago

I'll inform Dictionary.com to stop inventing new ones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silver Falcon posted:

Utterly irrelevant if nobody knows what the word means.

Stop being so provincial and try learning about the outside world

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Stop being so provincial and try learning about the outside world

Throwing out anime terms and expecting anybody to understand is not learning about the outside world. That is called "being a massive nerd."

I don't throw out technical terms from my field in regular conversation and expect people to get it, nor call them uneducated if they don't understand. There's a reason people in technical fields have a section where they define all their acronyms and technical language. Because you don't just expect everyone to understand whatever esoteric word you use.

And in this particular case there is an English term for the genre. Anime did not invent it. People understand "Stranger in a Strange Land" because as pointed out Mark loving Twain had one of those. I don't know if his was the first one, but it's extremely well known.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

Utterly irrelevant if nobody knows what the word means. If you have to define a word every time you use it outside of a specific circle of people, you have officially stopped saving anybody any time and you are instead an incurable nerd who needs to just use words people understand. :colbert:

you have Google it came free with your loving Xbox

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

"I'm insecure in my masculinity and fear being called a massive nerd."

Oh, okay. Gotcha.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Language evolves over time my guy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Language evolves over time my guy

I think you'll find that the English language stopped evolving after incorporating Welsh, gaelic, Latin, Germanic, Scandinavian, French... :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Augus posted:

you have Google it came free with your loving Xbox

My bro, I wasn't born yesterday. I know better than to Google random words I see here on the forums.

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh, okay. Gotcha.

That's a mirror you're typing in front of, my dude. Not your computer.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Silver Falcon posted:

My bro, I wasn't born yesterday. I know better than to Google random words I see here on the forums.

Disctionaries still exist. Also it's not like people are posting netabare in here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

shut da gently caress up

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
this poo poo is dumb. go play advance wars

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
‘Google’? You mean online search?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stranger in a strange land is mid

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

this poo poo is dumb. go play advance wars
:yeah:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Silver Falcon posted:

Throwing out anime terms and expecting anybody to understand is not learning about the outside world. That is called "being a massive nerd."

I don't throw out technical terms from my field in regular conversation and expect people to get it, nor call them uneducated if they don't understand. There's a reason people in technical fields have a section where they define all their acronyms and technical language. Because you don't just expect everyone to understand whatever esoteric word you use.

And in this particular case there is an English term for the genre. Anime did not invent it. People understand "Stranger in a Strange Land" because as pointed out Mark loving Twain had one of those. I don't know if his was the first one, but it's extremely well known.

Hey I haven't read Stranger in a Strange Land don't use esoteric terms around me or I will fite u

Edit: But I did look it up in order to make a previous post so it's like that's a thing that we can do in this terminally online world

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Help, I got recincarnated as a Nintendo Switch thread in a dead forum and now people are arguing about dictionary terms.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
all isekais are portal fantasies but not all portal fantasies are isekais

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i wish silver falcon would isekai himself to a world where he can't post on these dead gay forums

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Disctionaries still exist.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
oh and silver falcon is a she I'm pretty sure

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

You Want Me To Post Where?! I Was Looking For Enjoyable Videogame Discussion, But I Found Myself In A Dead Gay Comedy Forum! Everyone Is Just A Bit Too Confident In Their Skill, And They Are Confused When Their Jokes Don't Land. A Lone Poster's Tale!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

oh and silver falcon is a she I'm pretty sure

in the world where she can't post she's also a he.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe Dual Strike can be dlc for this game later on, surprised they didn't try to remake that in the package as well. Days of Ruin can uh stay where it is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
wtf days of ruin kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

in the world where she can't post she's also a he.

?? shut up