Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
he…was literally murdered by a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a man who is related to a woman…it’s all coming together

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
did you know that nearly 100% of murderers were given birth by a woman?

scary but true

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

lmao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in fact what specifically made me post that is how stupidly reductive to the engineering effort it is to do "well, obviously it is great thanks to open source"

I can think of one instance where the Linux kernel being open source allowed a company to "optimize it down to the hardware level" and Android probably has 1000-2000 people working on it. For some value of "works great" that is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and basically every wifi router

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The duality of hn, going to come back in a day and see which comment "won".

Uber and Amazon use AI to pay people different wages for the same work (businessinsider.com)

egypturnash 42 minutes ago |
This article is making a very compelling argument for unions. Wow. This is cartoonishly evil.

charcircuit 47 minutes ago |
It makes sense. Why pay someone $20 for a job they would have done for $10. There needs to be some logic to guess what this value is so AI would be useful. Trying to make this illegal would make the economy less efficient than it could be.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

egypt urnash is a webcomics artist (https://tapas.io/series/TwinParallax/info), what she's doing on hn idk

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

egypt urnash is a webcomics artist (https://tapas.io/series/TwinParallax/info), what she's doing on hn idk
Probably not surprising considering this?

quote:

College involved an attempt at a computer science degree that went nowhere. The month I turned 25, I moved to California to attend animation school.

I guess maybe you just mean that she isn't terrible enough to be on HN though

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess maybe you just mean that she isn't terrible enough to be on HN though

it was this

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Xik posted:

Trying to make this illegal would make the economy less efficient than it could be.

efficiency is when less money is moving around the market :confused:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
she’s cool

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

EGreg 4 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

What are the tools we can run on a Linux machine?
To generate a set of 10,000 NFTs for example, as a service?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
dustedcodes 7 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> Musk buying/poisoning/killing Twitter

Well, Twitter has not been killed yet, actually I think it's been quite remarkable how Twitter has had relatively little issues (bar a few which had been quickly resolved) and was even able to roll out new features and test how the community reacted to them after reducing the workforce by so much.

Poisoning? What does that mean? The only thing I noticed is that Twitter doesn't suppress balanced debate anymore. If you were hoping that Twitter remains a far left echo chamber then I guess poisoning is the right term but I thought it became more balanced again. I always found myself disenfrenchised by Twitter before. I'm not a right wing American. I'm a European who hates guns, thinks climate change is the biggest problem we have, has mostly turned Vegetarian and supports the strikes and the workers strikes in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. That would make me very left, but then equally I also believe that some controversial topics were not debated enough, especially around safe spaces for women and I also mistrust our mainstream media, I think that during COVID honest debate was suppressed by our governments and media and the same is happening now with the war in the Ukraine. I support the Ukraine, but I am also aware that not everything we are being told is true and there is a massive propaganda machine going on to get the Western population in support of this awful war and now nobody is allowed to mention that anymore.

You can see I have a very varied and wide range of independen beliefs and I really felt like that under the previous leadership of Twitter independent thinking and critical thinking was taboo and I would have been thrown into the same category as extreme far right Trump supporters who stormed the Capital, when in fact I am very far away from them in my personal belief system, but the extreme left wing Twitter echo chamber didn't allow people like myself to remain curious. I like the new Twitter if I'm honest. It feels more honest.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Mr.Radar posted:

dustedcodes 7 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Re: hn thread: I have a very varied and wide range of independen beliefs

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that might just be shaggar

dustedcodes 27 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Cyclists now outnumber motorists in City of London

I really dislike cars in cities, but equally I dislike cyclists and cycling myself for the following reasons:
> do not have to worry about car maintenance, parking tickets or theft;
Not sure where bicycle theft is not a thing, I've not encountered this, even in Vienna, one of the safest cities in the world. You still need to lock your bicycle safely.
> you will not kill someone if you ride after a night drinking;
In London I see plenty of irresponsible cyclists badly harming pedestrians.
> amazing when the weather is great;
Or you end up drenched in sweat wherever you go. Personally I hate cycling for that reason as a way of commute in the city.
Other reasons why I hate cycling and cyclists:
- Uneven roads, pot holes, getting splashed by cars who drive through puddles
- Inflexibility. You go somewhere, meet someone or your group of friends now spontaneously decide to move on to a different place and you'll be the loner who has to split from the group and meet them later again or you have to abandon your bicycle and get back the next day to pick it up. Sod that.
- Helmets. I can't stand helmet hair. Also how loving annoying is it to have to carry your helmet everywhere even after parking your bicycle.
- Dirty clothes. You always end up with muddy splashes on your trousers. If you cycle then better not wear nice shoes or light trousers, which again limits where/when you can effectively use a bicycle as a way of commute.
- Male genitalia. Cyclists completely kill off their male reproductive parts. If you cycle your whole life for daily commuting to places then you'll certainly end up with fertility issues and probably require assistance to get erected in older age. No thank you lol.
Cycling is hugely overrated and I can't find anything nice about it to be honest. I rather have cities be transformed into amazing public transport systems so that I can go to places without a stupid castration apparatus.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
holy lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

fritz posted:

that might just be shaggar

dustedcodes 27 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Cyclists now outnumber motorists in City of London

I really dislike cars in cities, but equally I dislike cyclists and cycling myself for the following reasons:
> do not have to worry about car maintenance, parking tickets or theft;
Not sure where bicycle theft is not a thing, I've not encountered this, even in Vienna, one of the safest cities in the world. You still need to lock your bicycle safely.
> you will not kill someone if you ride after a night drinking;
In London I see plenty of irresponsible cyclists badly harming pedestrians.
> amazing when the weather is great;
Or you end up drenched in sweat wherever you go. Personally I hate cycling for that reason as a way of commute in the city.
Other reasons why I hate cycling and cyclists:
- Uneven roads, pot holes, getting splashed by cars who drive through puddles
- Inflexibility. You go somewhere, meet someone or your group of friends now spontaneously decide to move on to a different place and you'll be the loner who has to split from the group and meet them later again or you have to abandon your bicycle and get back the next day to pick it up. Sod that.
- Helmets. I can't stand helmet hair. Also how loving annoying is it to have to carry your helmet everywhere even after parking your bicycle.
- Dirty clothes. You always end up with muddy splashes on your trousers. If you cycle then better not wear nice shoes or light trousers, which again limits where/when you can effectively use a bicycle as a way of commute.
- Male genitalia. Cyclists completely kill off their male reproductive parts. If you cycle your whole life for daily commuting to places then you'll certainly end up with fertility issues and probably require assistance to get erected in older age. No thank you lol.
Cycling is hugely overrated and I can't find anything nice about it to be honest. I rather have cities be transformed into amazing public transport systems so that I can go to places without a stupid castration apparatus.

:eyepop:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I don’t “require” assistance to get erected — I just appreciate when your mom lends a hand

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why doesn’t being a pro-labor vegetarian buy me a total indulgence to be a huge sexist :eng99:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
wow he must be the only reactionary free-thinking centrist on hn

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

I dislike cyclists and cycling myself because I get splashed by cars
incredible

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

I Quit Reddit in 1 Day (nitinpassa.com)
5 points by alexbowe 18 minutes ago | flag | hide | discuss

bro you're posting this _to_ reddit. it's just orange reddit with a custom domain and some weird haskell implementation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

bro you're posting this _to_ reddit. it's just orange reddit with a custom domain and some weird haskell implementation
It's lisp iirc

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

mystes posted:

It's lisp iirc

Yeah, HN was supposed to be the big demo application for pg's revolutionary Lisp dialect named "Arc" (as far as I can tell he just shortened a few of the keywords and called it a day). I believe HN is the only notable thing written in it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ianai 3 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: SpaceX's rocket Starship explodes 4 minutes a...

Let’s not move the goalposts. This company develops differently than historical aerospace. Success was defined as blowing up any point beyond the launch pad. It made it well past max-q which is the point of highest atmospheric stress on the rocket.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ptsneves 2 hours ago | next [–]

Byzantine history is so important to understand the modern world. It gives us the context for the orthodox/west divide; it gives us an example of a economic and intellectual superpower needing to live with the realities of barbarian neighbors, and being destroyed! It shows us great statecraft lasting a thousand years. It even shows us why generals and senior civil servants were eunuchs and how the next best thing was celibate people. This is the reason why catholic priests should be celibate and therefore the answer against nepotist corruption. We all know how nepotism is a serious issue in states everywhere in the world.
I became a fan of the Byzantines and seriously found team Roman Catholic to be a bunch of barbarians. I say team Roman Catholic because this small book[1] makes Byzantine history and trivia so humorous.
[1] https://global.oup.com/academic/product/a-cabinet-of-byzanti...

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’d be fine requiring all hn posters to be eunuchs and telling them it’s because they’re important like generals

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hqudsi 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Yea I like to describe fasting like going super saiyan but in spirituality and religiosity.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

londons_explore 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Isolating your country language-wise does have some benefits. For example, it tends to create cultural unity and prevents parts of your country breaking off and joining a neighbouring country.
For example, in the USA, the english vs spanish divide pretty much aligns with the US/mexico border. If both countries used the same language, the border could be more easily moved by groups friendly to one government over another. The effect could be strengthened by requiring english/spanish tests at the border, and preventing teaching in the 'wrong' language.
It can also prevent emigration of the smartest people.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

hqudsi 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Yea I like to describe fasting like going super saiyan but in spirituality and religiosity.

there is one God and SSJ Mohammad is his prophet

mystes
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I’d be fine requiring all hn posters to be eunuchs and telling them it’s because they’re important like generals
Oh oops we shouldn't have used voice recognition to dictate our job requirements. Our bad

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

In reply to this video about painstakingly recreating a pixel art image from a photograph of it being displayed on a CRT monitor:

VikingCoder 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Four-Byte Burger [video]

I absolutely love this.

However... I was wishing the recreation had been done in software rather than in Photoshop.

I was hoping that some clever image processing would result in a Github Repository of a program that could take any photograph of a pixel image, and reproduce the original pixels. Handling all of the distortions along the way...

:goonsay: I would have just written software to do that instead, bing bong so simple.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we’ve all automated something that wasn’t worth automating

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

we’ve all automated something that wasn’t worth automating

posting?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

quote:

kflfodp 4 minutes ago | parent [–]

Zizek is a slippery faux intellectual who says very little with a lot of flowery academic language, making his money by grifting midwits who can't see past his use of language, and who knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about here, absolutely nothing, but thinks he's got an insight because he's done so much cocaine he thinks he's God's gift to modern philosophy

A beautiful post.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i only know one thing about zizek and its this:

https://i.imgur.com/cMoaRbp.mp4

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh man, that reminds me, I saw Zizek at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He schniffed, then tugged on his "I would prefer not to" shirt and said, “My God, like you’re doing now and scho on?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and schniffing as if he were on cocaine and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen hot dogs in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the hot dogs and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence and scho on and scho on,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each frankfurter and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Mr.Radar posted:

In reply to this video about painstakingly recreating a pixel art image from a photograph of it being displayed on a CRT monitor:

VikingCoder 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Four-Byte Burger [video]

I absolutely love this.

However... I was wishing the recreation had been done in software rather than in Photoshop.

I was hoping that some clever image processing would result in a Github Repository of a program that could take any photograph of a pixel image, and reproduce the original pixels. Handling all of the distortions along the way...

:goonsay: I would have just written software to do that instead, bing bong so simple.

The easiest way to tell when someone insisting they're a great programmer is actually absolute dogshit at it is for them to insist stuff just "be done in software" when that is ludicrously difficult to impossible, and this happens in like 90% of HN posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Blade Runner posted:

The easiest way to tell when someone insisting they're a great programmer is actually absolute dogshit at it is for them to insist stuff just "be done in software" when that is ludicrously difficult to impossible, and this happens in like 90% of HN posts