Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
the true meaning of machismo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I think there is an approval at this point, even if it is still begrudgingly for the sake of comedy. At this point I feel it's less Mashiba and more that Ippo and Kumi aren't right for each other, but Kumi has fallen into a sunk-cost fallacy so is doing her damnest to make it happen regardless.

chapter 1374

ippo is going to confess to kumi and go to the world

together

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

I think Mashiba is just waiting for Ippo to man up and say to his face that he's gonna take care of Kumi so he doesn't have to worry anymore.
Course, she has her own career and an adult now, so she's not a little kid anymore, but Mashiba probably still has in his head that he still needs to protect her.

Have it be the thing holding him back from going full reaper. Won't unload fully because if he gets injured, 'who will look after kumi'
so he just needs to hear that Ippo will take care of it so he can limit off against the Jojo guy.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I always thought Kumi would be part of the answer to Ippo's "what is real strength" question, but I don't know how you'd square that with Ippo's return to boxing

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dudes gonna pull a gun from his trunks and just shoot mashiba. Mashiba dies in the ring, his last words are for ippo to take care of kumi.

Ippo, gets back into the ring, also dies.

Thend

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
You all seem to be forgetting the greatest obstacle to kumi and ippo's romance, ippo's love of miyata

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

turns out Miyata never existed, it was just a figment of Ippo's imagination

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Garrand posted:

Dudes gonna pull a gun from his trunks and just shoot mashiba. Mashiba dies in the ring, his last words are for ippo to take care of kumi.

Ippo, gets back into the ring, also dies.

Thend

Ippo goes up in weight class to fight the guy who killed Mashiba. Kamogawa decides to do some training for Ippo's imminent bout with the gun-wielding fighter. He decides that the best way to train Ippo is actually rather simple - by shooting him. This does not working out as planned.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GateOfD posted:

turns out Miyata never existed, it was just a figment of Ippo's imagination

Last scene of the Manga is an ippo a few years after returning to the ring, with a feeding tube in his nose and clearly with the mental status of a 2 year old child. He's shaking a snowglobe giggling and see's an image of Miyata in it in his imagination.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Centzon Totochtin posted:

You all seem to be forgetting the greatest obstacle to kumi and ippo's romance, ippo's love of miyata

Good thing then that Miyata is gonna die soon from trying to stay a featherweight. :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I am still confused that Miyata is a clerk at 7-11. Mover mashiba is good but clerk miyata just feels so odd.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

we need to see raman aoki again

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

No Wave posted:

I am still confused that Miyata is a clerk at 7-11. Mover mashiba is good but clerk miyata just feels so odd.

doesn't he get like an absurd pay because the franchisee is a massive simp for him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how much it pays in reality to be OPBF champion (or champion of a nation like Japan for that matter). I know that most "solo" sports like that usually don't pay a lot unless you're at the absolute top levels, but OPBF champion seems like it's pretty high up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ippo as champion was making around 1 to 2 million yen a match. OPBF would be around the same if a bit more. Big money doesn’t really come until World Rankings, and even then the bigger classes tend to get more attention.

Ippo tended to only have around 2 fights a year as a Champion. I don’t think Miyata is the shape to do more than one or two a year either.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 21, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ippo as champion was making around 1 to 2 million yen a match. OPBF would be around the same if a bit more. Big money doesn’t really come until World Rankings, and even then the bigger classes tend to get more attention.

Ippo tended to only have around 2 fights a year as a Champion. I don’t think Miyata is the shape to do more than one or two a year either.

drat, all those manga pages and doctor visits for him to be clearing like 30k USD a year :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

drat, all those manga pages and doctor visits for him to be clearing like 30k USD a year :negative:

That's why he still works on the boat!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sponsors can also be good for money.

Here is a good article about boxing money https://boxingnews.jp/english/92437/ saying roughly how much someone makes at each level.

Apparently Naoya Inoue the current biggest name JP boxing has made like 500k to 1.5 million USD per fight cause the World Level is way more rewarding.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 22, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sponsors can also be good for money.

Here is a good article about boxing money https://boxingnews.jp/english/92437/ saying roughly how much someone makes at each level.

Apparently Naoya Inoue the current biggest name JP boxing has made like 500k to 1.5 million USD per fight cause the World Level is way more rewarding.

Inoue is also pretty gosh darned good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

How much does the loser of the match get

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

I'm not into IRL boxing but I believe it's decided on before the fight, like Winner gets X Loser gets something <X but probably still a lot, at least at World levels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also don’t keep up too much on IRL boxing, but I think the fight money is pre decided normally regardless of winner. The Gedo fight talked the most about the money, and if I recall right Gedo and Ippo were both going to get 1 million yen for the fight as theoretically equal national champions. Going to recheck the details there.

Edit:Kamogawa straight up set it up as a 2 million yen match but only the winner gets it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 22, 2023

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Gedo survived getting shot so clearly he should be the one giving Mashiba advice against the Puerto Rican shooter

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Shinjobi posted:

Inoue is also pretty gosh darned good

Yeah Naoya Inoue would be like Takamura tier, Ippo and Miyata wouldn't even sniff his jockstrap for a while.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

GateOfD posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao:

just :lmao:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the most dramatic cliffhanger the comic has ever had

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Post the link

https://mangadex.org/chapter/173516f2-7072-4bba-817c-68c115411690/1

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

why does nobody post links anymore?
https://mangadex.org/chapter/173516f2-7072-4bba-817c-68c115411690

e: i literally refreshed right before hitting post damnit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the entire Kamogawa gym showing up. so good.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mashiba will be beating up Ippo for 3 weeks

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

No Wave posted:

Better than Takamura sneaking a recording device in the pocket.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

too busy posting

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope that Mashiba uses this opportunity to tell Ippo to man up and do something. I feel like the "twist" here is going to be that Mashiba is annoyed at Ippo's inaction, rather than being angry about him dating Kumi.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
The 3 weeks break blurb is about the hardest a punchline has ever landed for me in this series. Masterful.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
loving hell this drat series. I chuckled out loud. That has to be animated

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

I do like how they're just like "that's her scary rear end brother all right. well poo poo" they're really rooting for him. Even takamura isn't make fun of him (yet)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He's wanting to know if Kumi will be taken care of regardless of how the next match goes for him. Mashiba is gonna try to cross "the line." He's afraid.

My best guess.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Comedy gold. Fantastic chap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo, time to declare some feelings!