Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Ladies and gentleman, I'm afraid CJ Stroud is a big ole dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So they said that these scores weren't released. So some GM goes off the record to say he scored 18%. What is the motivation for doing that?

I don't believe that for one second.

three
Aug 9, 2007

kiimo posted:

So they said that these scores weren't released. So some GM goes off the record to say he scored 18%. What is the motivation for doing that?

I don't believe that for one second.

So they don't get lambasted when they don't pick him #2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah but it's anonymous. Thinking that this tweet will have that kind of reach seems to be a fool's errand.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The tweet? Not directly. But some talking head will start repeating it soon enough

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the s2 data is given to 16 teams, 2 per division, for no reason. it used to be 1 team per. when it was 8 teams all the gms said they don't want it to be given to anyone else so they compromised. it's some kind of weird insular special club and for that reason i expect the test is probably extremely poor at actually measuring anything even though it seems a million times more relevant to football than other cognitive testing on the surface. the whole thing feels like a big joke making fun of nfl front office people

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol when legal just got involved

https://twitter.com/landon3mr/status/1649415608067301378?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It would be funny if Young/Stroud ended up being like Manning/Leaf

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Fun video. Missed opportunity to splice in Berman's "Ohhh Nooo!" when the mystery team logo was revealed. Excellent use of Gase eyes though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It would be funny if Young/Stroud ended up being like Manning/Leaf

Funnier if Goff / Wentz

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kalli posted:

Funnier if Goff / Wentz

This is fine since the Seahawks are getting future OMEGA LEGEND Anthony Richardson.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Imagine you're an agent and your client is a top QB entering the draft. Why and the ever loving gently caress would you ever let him take something like the S2 from here on out? So some shitheel in a bad FO can "leak" that your guy did poorly so his draft stock plummets?

I hope this kills these tests because it should.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Until they release that test to the public I have no opinion on it other than I hate things that affect young athletes' bank accounts that have nothing to do with football. Used to be the combine drills.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Doltos posted:

Until they release that test to the public I have no opinion on it other than I hate things that affect young athletes' bank accounts that have nothing to do with football. Used to be the combine drills.

At least the combine has some basis in reality.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

fennesz posted:

At least the combine has some basis in reality.

I really don't think it does and I kind of hate it and want it to go away. I say this every year but these are my problems with it:

- No pads.
- 21-24 year old kids are flown in on red eyes and expected to perform well.
- No opposition during the drill.
- Most positional drills don't represent anything you'd ever do on the field.
- Most empirical drills don't represent any football motion you'd do on the field. (No lineman engages their strength through the same motion as a bench press, they'd look like morons)
- Players specifically train for the combine.
- The actual differences in measurements are completely negligible on the field.

No one sprints all out in the NFL to the point where they're going to hit a 4.2 on their actual route, that comes after broken coverage and they're racing down field untouched. No one changes directions as often as they do in a three cone drill in one play. The difference between a 4.5 WR and a 4.4 WR is literally like half a step out of a typical route, and even then you have to rely on your speed actually mattering when the ball gets to your catch point. Footballs still have to travel through the air and just because you have a step on a DB doesn't mean it'll be the same after the throw.

I don't think NFL GMs put so much stock into it as armchair draftniks but man does it suck to watch good football players have their career narratives changed online because of this poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What about stuff like hand size, arm length and jump height?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real point of the combine is standardized medicals and team interviews

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SKULL.GIF posted:

What about stuff like hand size, arm length and jump height?

Vertical is one of those things people train for and up their numbers rather than being an in game measurement. It's exceedingly hard to jump while sprinting, very easy to jump while standing still under a measurement stick.

Hand size, arm length, weight, and height all found no correlation in the stepwise regression research model I did a while back for WRs. That's out of date at this point and I should really just run one again really quick on SPSS.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The real point of the combine is standardized medicals and team interviews

Yep it's the only value it has.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope all this Stroud stuff doesn't get cleared up until after the Colts draft him at 4.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My favorite part of the combine is when Rich Eisen's 40 time is worse than the 350-pound Offensive Linemen

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope all this Stroud stuff doesn't get cleared up until after the Colts draft him at 4.

gently caress that don't doom him to indy

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

I thought of you. Watch the pain at :45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIxYkEYo9Xk

You can't hurt me with this anymore. The entire draft process that happened with this was infuriating. They didn't even talk to Deshaun Watson in their scouting process, when they were clearly targeting a quarterback. The clown show that was that front office is well documented.

I maintain if the Bears had drafted Watson or Mahomes, they win a Super Bowl with that defense Nagy's first year. Glad they passed on Watson though in hindsight, even though he was my favorite in that class.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Doltos posted:

Yeah I was just thinking that lying about Stroud’s score is REALLY lovely if it ends up meaningfully affecting his draft slot. Like millions of lost dollars over time. The NFL is run by such cynical assholes lol.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Stroud is a great qb and I hope he gets to go to a loving franchise and fan base :)

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

aren't the teams all going to have the correct test scores?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It might be more nuanced to say it isn't a total score and it could be his score from one of the many tests they do. That's at least how they're doing damage control in saying it's inaccurate.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Or he could have scored "well" but still been in the 18th percentile of people that have taken it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Most NFL front office people are fully incapable of not going with their initial gut reaction about someone and they'll talk themselves out of anything just to feel right for even a moment.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have a hard time blaming them. I'm pretty sure every team has a big board except for the ones that are ran by despot GMs and even those guys have player lists from what I've seen on tiktok screenshots. You go into the draft thinking you have your guys that are going to drop to you, some better prospect drops or yours get taken early, you scramble, and the history judges you like it was a cut and dry decision you hosed up.

The only GM/Owners I fault are the ones that don't listen to their scouting department. It's all romantic to be Brad Pitt's Billy Beane but if I worked for that guy I would have quit on the spot. Just seems so stupid to me to do the Gettleman tactic of inviting all your scouts in on draft day and then listening to no opinions but your own.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vernon Butler lmao

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I don't think Billy Beane is comparable because he was trying to change the evaluation process and was looking for people to target people who followed those metrics. It isn't like he didn't listen to anyone. He just didn't listen to the idiots who couldn't get with the program.

Gettleman is just an idiot. You specify traits. Have yours scouts work together to create a board, and then follow the plan. Andy Reid is supposedly really good at working through consensus building.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

Vernon Butler lmao

And Chris Jones goes 7 picks later

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sataere posted:

I don't think Billy Beane is comparable because he was trying to change the evaluation process and was looking for people to target people who followed those metrics. It isn't like he didn't listen to anyone. He just didn't listen to the idiots who couldn't get with the program.

Gettleman is just an idiot. You specify traits. Have yours scouts work together to create a board, and then follow the plan. Andy Reid is supposedly really good at working through consensus building.

I meant movie Billy Beane, not real life one. Apparently in real life most of the scouts and Art Howe were all in with him. Makes sense because it was new and exciting even though some teams were doing sabremetrics before him. Movie Billy Beane was like you guys all are idiots and have no idea what you're talking about, tell me your opinion so I can shoot it down.

That was Gettleman and others like him. If I had to bet my entire career on being the sole winner or loser if a pick pans out based on my own judgement I'd be fired a year in.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Diva Cupcake posted:

If Stroud drops to the 5-10 range, the NFL is broken. I'd want the Jets to trade up even with Rodgers in the queue.
https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1649402971191652352

i’m sorry but he did bad on the pointless test

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Doltos posted:

No one sprints all out in the NFL to the point where they're going to hit a 4.2 on their actual route, that comes after broken coverage and they're racing down field untouched.
My high school football coach had tons of dumbshit football sayings, but one of the few I remember was, “you’ll never know how fast you can run in pads until you hear footsteps behind you and see nothing but green in front of you.”

I was a fullback so I have no loving clue if that’s accurate.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Doltos posted:

Movie Billy Beane was like you guys all are idiots and have no idea what you're talking about, tell me your opinion so I can shoot it down.

“If he’s such a good hitter why doesn’t he hit good?” is a really funny line though and it’s not like NFL teams and Scouts haven’t been guilty of falling into that same trap of getting so hyper focused on measurable and body types and so on that they forget that being good at football is pretty important for a prospect.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

But enough about Anthony Richardson

three
Aug 9, 2007

Hearing reports from the Texans that Stroud's demands to wank it in the locker room bathroom were the deal breaker for them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“If he’s such a good hitter why doesn’t he hit good?” is a really funny line though and it’s not like NFL teams and Scouts haven’t been guilty of falling into that same trap of getting so hyper focused on measurable and body types and so on that they forget that being good at football is pretty important for a prospect.

Can He Ball is the first question you should ask before proceeding to the next step of evaluation in the NFL. It's why Cooper Kupp falling to the third was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nick Saban evaluated players by how tough it was to get their pants on. He loved a great rear end.

And so do I!!!!