Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

does that include the 3 musk is personally paying for??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol that whether it includes them or not, 3 out of 28 is a drat significant percentage BOUGHT BY THE OWNER

And that's assuming he's not lying about having bought only those 3

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

He’s definitely bought more than 3

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm fine if twitter permabanned everyone with a blue account. Would be great, actually.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Lol that whether it includes them or not, 3 out of 28 is a drat significant percentage BOUGHT BY THE OWNER

And that's assuming he's not lying about having bought only those 3

he definitely bought Grimes' check.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vire posted:

I have a real hard time believing that some one who lost family in the holocaust would have such horrific take on defending Nazis.

You're assuming they weren't just lying about that to make their nazi opinions seem more sympathetic.

That said 'burned to death by Nazis' doesn't mean the Holocaust necessarily. It could just be a regular old 'round everyone in a village up, lock them in a church and set fire to it' war crime.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2023

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Does this include the accounts Elon comped??

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

feedmegin posted:

You're assuming they weren't just lying about that to make their nazi opinions seem more sympathetic.

That said 'burned to death by Nazis' doesn't mean the Holocaust necessarily. It could just be a regular old 'round everyone in a village up, lock them in a church and set fire to it' war crime.

Not to get pedantic but the Holocaust refers to the entire thing not just the camps. So if Nazi's burned you in a building that would still be the Holocaust.

Edit: but I will say her choice of words is interestingly specific and could be alluding to I see what your saying now if like she was referring to family in allied controlled Europe and the Nazi's just murdered an occupied town sorry misunderstood. It's probably occam's razor and yeah she is being generous with the truth.

Vire fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 21, 2023

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

EmbryoSteve posted:

Does this include the accounts Elon comped??

it probably IS

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vire posted:

Not to get pedantic but the Holocaust refers to the entire thing not just the camps. So if Nazi's burned you in a building that would still be the Holocaust.

Not to get pedantic but well Wiki's definition of it is 'The Holocaust, also known as the Shoah,[a] was the genocide of European Jews during World War II.'. There's no indication these people were Jewish. This - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre - is not the Holocaust but would account for that story.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I loving hope this debacle has some sort of effect like that scene in The Simpsons where Itchy & Scratchy goes to poo poo, and all the kids end up waking out of their groggy stupor and going out to play, except with adults finally losing the need for Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9uNgvfJsY (around 1:50 Mark if you want to indulge yourself)

Maybe it's a bit naive and optimistic, but it could be just what the world needed. The collapse of social media can't come soon enough IMHO.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonCHI/status/1649441306131808256

Fellow Paypal founder David Sacks says journalists should just get work to pay for their Twitter.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been envisioning that Simpsons scene ever since Elon Sink Day

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

feedmegin posted:

Not to get pedantic but well Wiki's definition of it is 'The Holocaust, also known as the Shoah,[a] was the genocide of European Jews during World War II.'. There's no indication these people were Jewish. This - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre - is not the Holocaust but would account for that story.

Yeah your right I guess I am not use to the nuances of clout sharking you dead family for cover with defending nazi's right to speech hah.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

feedmegin posted:

"Burned to death by Nazis" also includes burned to death by other Nazis during some of the purges that happened within the nazi organisations.
Or, the actual war.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/klei/status/1649250976573042688?t=-cnqGnmzNO5Qmev_9RX60g&s=19

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

maybe it was a flamethrower accident in the SS barracks.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lawsuit for "stealing the Twitter database" incoming

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Rondette posted:

I loving hope this debacle has some sort of effect like that scene in The Simpsons where Itchy & Scratchy goes to poo poo, and all the kids end up waking out of their groggy stupor and going out to play, except with adults finally losing the need for Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9uNgvfJsY (around 1:50 Mark if you want to indulge yourself)

Maybe it's a bit naive and optimistic, but it could be just what the world needed. The collapse of social media can't come soon enough IMHO.

I had a similar thought. Even just deleting my Twitter account recently and returning to these old forums has done quite a bit for my day to day mood, tbh. The message board format is probably where the Internet should stay.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Have you considered the possibility her relatives are nazis and one of them accidently immolated their own family while trying to burn a kuerig or Spuds MacKenzie plush?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Forget about Twitter for a moment. SpaceX got lots of great data from the giant exploding rocket yesterday. Turns out concrete doesn't like being hit with a fuckload of combustion exhaust. Who knew?

https://twitter.com/SpacecoastPix/status/1649430006521626625

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol not even attempting a flame diverter was so insanely stupid

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Willatron posted:

I had a similar thought. Even just deleting my Twitter account recently and returning to these old forums has done quite a bit for my day to day mood, tbh. The message board format is probably where the Internet should stay.

It's the only kind of social media I use now. I like the fact that the threads have ends, and it is a bit easier to have a break in the doom scrolling. It has definitely cut down my screen time doing it. I don't miss it at all, when I think about how much time I spent doing things for the 'likes' of strangers.

It's like a Reader's Digest of the Internet for me. It's a great way of getting the condensed version of the impossible insanity of the Internet.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Willatron posted:

It's amazing how badly humanity hosed up social media, a tool that was meant to keep in touch with your family and friends. I took so much time seeking out a lot of my old friends and former co-workers, and in way too many cases I wish I hadn't. Musk might have been more loved if he just immediately shut Twitter down after buying it.

Kill Facebook next, then 24/7 news.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My intrusive thought of the day is Stellan Skarsgård talking about his knowledge of concrete.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Rondette posted:

I like the fact that the threads have ends, and it is a bit easier to have a break in the doom scrolling.

Agreed big time. Even the guy that invented the "infinite scroll" regrets having ever made it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Armitage posted:

It's amazing how badly humanity hosed up social media, a tool that was meant to keep in touch with your family and friends. I took so much time seeking out a lot of my old friends and former co-workers, and in way too many cases I wish I hadn't. Musk might have been more loved if he just immediately shut Twitter down after buying it.

Kill Facebook next, then 24/7 news.

Facebook almost doesn't matter at this point. It did the damage it was going to do and is dying off.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Bottom Liner posted:

Facebook almost doesn't matter at this point. It did the damage it was going to do and is dying off.

Well, we can still put it out of it's misery like Old Yeller :v:

But someone that can kill 24/7 news would be hailed as heroes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1649248278792359944

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

And now they know they need one. Success!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

It's so weird because this is a pretty solved problem, and for very good reason, so just thinking that raising the platform would solve this seems breathtakingly incompetent. But the people who work at SpaceX are mostly certainly not incompetent I'd say, at least they'd be aware of this problem. I can only conclude this decision will have come from Elon himself

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Steadiman posted:

It's so weird because this is a pretty solved problem, and for very good reason, so just thinking that raising the platform would solve this seems breathtakingly incompetent. But the people who work at SpaceX are mostly certainly not incompetent I'd say, at least they'd be aware of this problem. I can only conclude this decision will have come from Elon himself

the water table being high is a problem for digging but there was some discussion in the space thread that at the cape, they simply built the structures upward so they could put steel diverters underneath. and the engineers who designed the platform surely know this. i wonder if there were some kind of regulatory issues with going this route or something that would have brought red tape. would make sense for musk to go the concrete pad route as he hates complying with government rules and will make idiotic engineering decisions overriding people who know better to avoid it, as is known

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

looks like it was actually intentional
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1649268283760160770

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing as how Musk was using those labels to try to gently caress with the BBC etc, I didn't think that could be on purpose. I forgot how short his attention span is!

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Seeing as how Musk was using those labels to try to gently caress with the BBC etc, I didn't think that could be on purpose. I forgot how short his attention span is!

Or the last two weeks of loving with the labels was all part of a long plan to legitimize propaganda and soon he's going to post "You guys said you didn't like the labels, so we got rid of them! 🤣🤣"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Can we have a Blue Check mark clan tag please?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

happyhippy posted:

Can we have a Blue Check mark clan tag please?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if Elon's favorite King movie is Lawnmower Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wa27 posted:

Or the last two weeks of loving with the labels was all part of a long plan to legitimize propaganda and soon he's going to post "You guys said you didn't like the labels, so we got rid of them! 🤣🤣"

My hunch is either that (even a clown can occasionally be aware of bad optics) or he scrapped the whole thing in petulant spite after the NPR/etc stuff didn't go as he hoped.