Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

Speaking of your easy fix, once I get the control arms sorted, I need to address some "it's a BMW with 100k" stuff. One of those is spark plugs. I have the M Performance tune, which is rather mild, on now, and I'm contemplating putting a bigger intercooler on and bumping the power a bit, partly to make it feel as peppy as the B58. What's the general opinion, stock plugs or one step colder?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the NGK 97506 is one step colder for the N55 and the usual recommendation for the stage 1 and below tunes?

TheBacon posted:

Bought a 140k mile manual E82 128i. Gonna fly down to LA Saturday and drive it back. The N52 is me, and I am the N52. (Though I think technically both of mine are N51)

Hell yeah! I look at 128i's on occasion but anything remotely clean seem to be rare. On the other hand the e9x 328i's that aren't completely clapped out all look clean as hell for the mileage. Prices on them seem to be cratering too.

Never heard of a BMW ME before but it's a manual and cheap. I'm sure that would be a fine contender for my 75 mile each way commute :v: . I seriously can't help myself when it comes to looking at dumb poo poo to replace my 2nd gen Prius that I currently drive for work. I know the answer is another Prius but I don't wanna.

e: or how about this e46!. I'm pretty sure that would have been listed at $10k like 6 months ago.

e2: holy lol there's an e60 m5 with 180k miles for under $10k. I couldn't afford to keep that thing on the road.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Finding a decently specced E9x that isn't clapped out or insanely scalped is hell. Doubly so if it's anything other than an E90.

It took me eight months to find an E92 in manual that wasn't completely busted or chock full of poorly installed MODDZZZ. Even then, despite being in relatively good mechanical condition it had been in an accident early in life and the paint from the repair was completely peeling off.

I'm finally getting that fixed next month btw :unsmith:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 20, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Finding a decently specced E9x that isn't clapped out or insanely scalped is hell. Doubly so if it's anything other than an E90.

I can only imagine.

Something that gets good mileage is definitely a huge factor for me, but something that's comfortable is also becoming more of a factor. My Prius absolutely sucks in that regard. The seating position isn't great and it gets blown around like a box truck on windy days, passing semis, etc... It was super windy today and you legitimately have to fight it to stay on the road. An old BMW is kind of a joke contender but I'd absolutely grab the right one since I know that they can actually handle the miles that I'd be putting on it if they're maintained properly. And when it was down for the cooling system making GBS threads the bed I could just drive the M3!

I just need something that can handle a couple hundred thousand more miles and isn't poo poo to drive on the highway. And I don't want to buy new.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 20, 2023

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Silver 128i :hf:

First thing I bought was a bovee bluetooth adapter.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ventura isn't the Valley, but we'll allow it today.

Get the car, have lunch, then spare maybe an extra 90 mins to drive down the PCH from Ventura to Malibu and take CA 23 (Decker Canyon) North back up to the 101 to the 405 to the 5. 40 miles you'll have enjoyed doing as the first ones in the new car. Bing bong simple.

This is nice, too bad malibu kitchen is closed would have worked well for lunch

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I think the NGK 97506 is one step colder for the N55 and the usual recommendation for the stage 1 and below tunes?

Hell yeah! I look at 128i's on occasion but anything remotely clean seem to be rare. On the other hand the e9x 328i's that aren't completely clapped out all look clean as hell for the mileage. Prices on them seem to be cratering too.

Never heard of a BMW ME before but it's a manual and cheap. I'm sure that would be a fine contender for my 75 mile each way commute :v: . I seriously can't help myself when it comes to looking at dumb poo poo to replace my 2nd gen Prius that I currently drive for work. I know the answer is another Prius but I don't wanna.

e: or how about this e46!. I'm pretty sure that would have been listed at $10k like 6 months ago.

e2: holy lol there's an e60 m5 with 180k miles for under $10k. I couldn't afford to keep that thing on the road.

That e46 is really clean, but idk how much salt is there, but then again at $5.5k like sort of who cares?

Also $10k is too much for an e60 m5 lmao especially with that much mileage, they should be less than a 530i heh.

It took me eight months to find an E92 in manual that wasn't completely busted or chock full of poorly installed MODDZZZ. Even then, despite being in relatively good mechanical condition it had been in an accident early in life and the paint from the repair was completely peeling off.

I'm finally getting that fixed next month btw :unsmith:

Yeah I hear you on that a lot of things looked not awesome, this e82 has had an accident but it looked not terrible on the video call and frankly I am buying it to replace a 220k mile NA miata so still a nicer experience.

Getting the bodywork finally fixed after you sort everything else out is such a good feeling man, being able to look at the car and feel good is a mega win. Hell yeah brother!

sweat poteto posted:

Silver 128i :hf:

First thing I bought was a bovee bluetooth adapter.

:hellyeah:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

I can only imagine.

Something that gets good mileage is definitely a huge factor for me, but something that's comfortable is also becoming more of a factor. My Prius absolutely sucks in that regard. The seating position isn't great and it gets blown around like a box truck on windy days, passing semis, etc... It was super windy today and you legitimately have to fight it to stay on the road. An old BMW is kind of a joke contender but I'd absolutely grab the right one since I know that they can actually handle the miles that I'd be putting on it if they're maintained properly. And when it was down for the cooling system making GBS threads the bed I could just drive the M3!

I just need something that can handle a couple hundred thousand more miles and isn't poo poo to drive on the highway. And I don't want to buy new.

To me, this is the post of a man who wants a Honda Accord. Or a 6 cylinder E39.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I agreed with the garage to drop back with the car so they could listen to the weird coolant pump noise, and it’s now got a high and slightly rough idle with a check engine light on.

I don’t need a car so I guess this is the end of the road, I’m selling it on and saying goodbye.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To me, this is the post of a man who wants a Honda Accord. Or a 6 cylinder E39.

Reasonably clean Accord's are expensive!

The smart thing to do would be to buy the kid that E46 and continue to "suffer" in the Prius.

TheBacon posted:

That e46 is really clean, but idk how much salt is there, but then again at $5.5k like sort of who cares?

Salt is an issue here but it's not as bad as the northeast.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TheBacon posted:

This is nice, too bad malibu kitchen is closed would have worked well for lunch

Neptune's Net is always fun for car-centered lunches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsqhX9my_iY

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 20, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Bought a 140k mile manual E82 128i. Gonna fly down to LA Saturday and drive it back. The N52 is me, and I am the N52. (Though I think technically both of mine are N51)

Congrats! I can’t remember if you had an exhaust on the E91 but I like the BMW Performance Exhaust if you can find one. I love the silver on red combo.

I put one on mine and it still makes me smile every time I roll the window down for a subtle little pop and burble.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

Neptune's Net is always fun for car-centered lunches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsqhX9my_iY

Neptunes has been on my list yeah because I am an unabashed fast and furious fan lmao

ThirstyBuck posted:

Congrats! I can’t remember if you had an exhaust on the E91 but I like the BMW Performance Exhaust if you can find one. I love the silver on red combo.

I put one on mine and it still makes me smile every time I roll the window down for a subtle little pop and burble.

I do have the (last new on shelf) Dinan exhaust on my E91. Still not sure on ultimate plans for the 128, but if N52 is staying sourcing the MPE would be high on the list.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
how much :homebrew: to make that E46 325 a 330?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

Reasonably clean Accord's are expensive!

The smart thing to do would be to buy the kid that E46 and continue to "suffer" in the Prius.

Salt is an issue here but it's not as bad as the northeast.

You were looking at sportwagens iirc and while I like ours very much I don’t think I would want it as a pure highway machine to do Big Midwest Distances. It’s a little bit susceptible to crosswinds and the big greenhouse makes climate control a little hard (though that’s fixable with a tiny). The seats are fine but a little flat.

e39 time, you know what thread you’re in

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TheBacon posted:

Neptunes has been on my list yeah because I am an unabashed fast and furious fan lmao

The fried stuff is fine, but the real choice here is the steamed side of the restaurant (you order separately at each.) Couple-three pounds of shrimp, maybe some clams, a bunch of tapatio from the pump.

Hell, you can't go wrong with some corn on the cob while you're at it, the only catch is the drinks are sold on the fried side so if it's busy split up. If you get there just before noon it's considerably easier to get everything accomplished smoothly since the tourists show up right at 12 - on weekdays, at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You were looking at sportwagens iirc and while I like ours very much I don’t think I would want it as a pure highway machine to do Big Midwest Distances. It’s a little bit susceptible to crosswinds and the big greenhouse makes climate control a little hard (though that’s fixable with a tiny). The seats are fine but a little flat.

e39 time, you know what thread you’re in

Yeah, I'd been shopping Golf/Jetta TDI's pretty hard. I had a mk6 Golf TDI that got bought back for dieselgate and I have fond memories of it. Good mileage, way nicer place to be than the Prius, and fun enough for what it is. Prices on them aren't terrible but they're all coming up due for a timing belt and they have the same problem as all modern diesels with unreliable emissions that needs to go if you live in a place where that's doable. So you're looking at something around $2-4k on top of the price that will need to be taken care of. There's a lack of high mileage examples too so I have some concern with the actual longevity of them, especially since a lot of people still in the TDI world think that VW are doing everything they can just to get them off the road. So I'm kind of all over the place right now. I'll be surprised if I don't end up in a 3rd gen Prius but there are a ton of things I'd like more.

There aren't a ton of e39's for sale, and the ones around here all seem pretty beat down.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

Yikes!

Thanks for the posts, all. The e39 madness has passed and I will remain on the path of the e91.

Update on this, I bought a 986 boxster S and will be keeping the e91. Not sure what I'm going to do about parking, but w/e

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fknlo posted:

I can only imagine.

Hyundai Genesis (2015-2016) / Genesis G80 (2017-2020)

I mean the gas mileage aint that good but if you want to eat highway miles comfortably and not pay that much, this is the way. Don't buy an old bmw.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hyundai Azera, the poor man’s Avalon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hyundai Genesis (2015-2016) / Genesis G80 (2017-2020)

I mean the gas mileage aint that good but if you want to eat highway miles comfortably and not pay that much, this is the way. Don't buy an old bmw.

The G80's are all more than I want to spend. At that point I'm back to a new Corolla Hybrid or something which is kind of where I started. I don't want to spend the money on a new car at the moment.

I hadn't even considered the Genesis though. That kind of thing would compete with my fantasy highway cruiser the Lexus GS. It seems like those come out of the factory with 200k miles on them.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

Update on this, I bought a 986 boxster S and will be keeping the e91. Not sure what I'm going to do about parking, but w/e

The main problem I see is that there's no photos here or the Porsche thread.

On the parking front, my wife said I could have both garage spots if I drove the kids in bad weather. Yes? I was going to be doing that anyway so I don't see how I lost anything on that deal.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Alarbus posted:

The main problem I see is that there's no photos here or the Porsche thread.

On the parking front, my wife said I could have both garage spots if I drove the kids in bad weather. Yes? I was going to be doing that anyway so I don't see how I lost anything on that deal.

986 + e91 support car is v much a winning combo lol

Also, I posted pics once I found the thread. I'll take my own once the dang thing gets here.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fknlo posted:

The G80's are all more than I want to spend. At that point I'm back to a new Corolla Hybrid or something which is kind of where I started. I don't want to spend the money on a new car at the moment.

I hadn't even considered the Genesis though. That kind of thing would compete with my fantasy highway cruiser the Lexus GS. It seems like those come out of the factory with 200k miles on them.
The 15-16 Hyundai Genesis is the exact same car with a different badge but like $10k less

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

986 + e91 support car is v much a winning combo lol

Also, I posted pics once I found the thread. I'll take my own once the dang thing gets here.

Nice! Hope you have bins for BMW tools, Porsche tools, and shared. I didn't label N52 vs N55 very well, and playing guess the spark plug socket is going to be fun.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I bought a matco cart at the beginning of the year as my german car service station. It matches the car(s).

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Hello thread. I'm in the car market and was looking at ordering a new m340i and have been reading up on it and BMW. I've had japanese brands before and usually just buy off the lot and last time was in 2016. In my internet research it seems theres a couple weird gotchas like how you need to order performance tires from the factory speed limit to be raised from 130 to ~155 and was wondering if there was any other general common device when dealing with new BMWs or ordering.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

doomisland posted:

Hello thread. I'm in the car market and was looking at ordering a new m340i and have been reading up on it and BMW. I've had japanese brands before and usually just buy off the lot and last time was in 2016. In my internet research it seems theres a couple weird gotchas like how you need to order performance tires from the factory speed limit to be raised from 130 to ~155 and was wondering if there was any other general common device when dealing with new BMWs or ordering.

The biggest thing is if you don't want the grey, black or white, or packages be prepared to wait for an allocation or the dealer to find it for you. When I got mine, it ticked most of the boxes for my wants apart from the interior leather, but I've grown to like it.

Out of the box the car is capped to 130mph regardless of the All season or Run-flat Summer tires. You need to add the ZTK track package, I think its called the "Cooling and High Performance Tire Package" to get the full 155mph limit. Since it gives you the larger brakes and stickier 4s tires.

Fuller9x fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 21, 2023

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

doomisland posted:

Just adding wheels with non-run flat performance tires on the m240i bumps the limiter up to 155mph but I don't think that's an option on the m340i.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Get an e91

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

Get an e91

:yeah:

Just got mine back from the wrap shop!

Now I just need to find somewhere to get the windows tinted [and not get hassled for my state inspection].

Kill Hour if you see me on the road honk and give me the finger

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

oh gently caress yea

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice color, what product did you use? I may wrap my NA Miata and was considering something in that range of color, but I haven't spent any time learning about the various available options for what material is best.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Now I just need to find somewhere to get the windows tinted [and not get hassled for my state inspection].

That looks great!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Nice color, what product did you use? I may wrap my NA Miata and was considering something in that range of color, but I haven't spent any time learning about the various available options for what material is best.

Thanks all; the brand is Hexis and it's their Sonoma Green Metallic, which actually is a UK-only color but I couldn't find a green that was quite right from any of the other companies out there. Shipping it across the pond wasn't cheap, but meh for the right color it wasn't that much extra all things considered.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
It really does

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Keyser_Soze posted:

how much :homebrew: to make that E46 325 a 330?

More trouble than it's worth. You would need:

-A full engine swap
-A full swap of all DME units and probably a wiring harness too (since both engines use completely different engine management iirc)
-probably body computers too, or a ton of time with some dude with a laptop

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

:drat: that looks GOOD!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MrChips posted:

More trouble than it's worth. You would need:

-A full engine swap
-A full swap of all DME units and probably a wiring harness too (since both engines use completely different engine management iirc)
-probably body computers too, or a ton of time with some dude with a laptop

For all that trouble, better off just spending more on the donor engine and getting an s54 imo

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it looks outstanding with the bronze wheels. Thanks for the info, I'm about to do a roof replacement on that Miata and am getting my choices set up between tan roof/BRG wrap, and a navy roof/undecided color - but this is definitely scoring some big points for BRG (and having it shipped, if necessary).

Any idea how long it should be expected to last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

This owns so hard