Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dirk the Average posted:

I was using Vanilla Psycasts Expanded on a similar run and used all of the parts of the buffalo raider. Chronomancy to steal time from the enemy and de-age my pawn (to offset meditation psyskip and other such things), and then a nice ripscan to make a robot. After that the body was either meat, or was consumed via necromancy to increase maximum heat if the food stores were full.

Jesus Christ you're just missing some human leather. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

Anima trees survive in the dark just fine too but the grass requires sun so this isn't all that useful.
Do sun lamps work?

It never occurred to me before, but I feel like it could be fun to bring the anima tree into like a sterile tile room with a sun lamp and maybe some sort of planter boxes for the grass.

I usually play with the mod that lets you replant the anima tree because I don't care about the 'challenge' of resetting you map a thousand times to get a good anima tree location. Admittedly putting the tree in a sterile lab would be a step further than that, but it might make for a fun gimmick run for some sort of odd techno-tribal psychics.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eiba posted:

Do sun lamps work?

It never occurred to me before, but I feel like it could be fun to bring the anima tree into like a sterile tile room with a sun lamp and maybe some sort of planter boxes for the grass.

I usually play with the mod that lets you replant the anima tree because I don't care about the 'challenge' of resetting you map a thousand times to get a good anima tree location. Admittedly putting the tree in a sterile lab would be a step further than that, but it might make for a fun gimmick run for some sort of odd techno-tribal psychics.

I once did a tribal village on a Pyroclastic Conflagration biome (basically lots of mamga and insanely high temperatures), we enclosed the anima tree in a room with an open roof just over the tree + grass area, and we used a lot of passive coolers to make it cool enough for anima grass to grow (I did not know at the time that anima grass had this restriction)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Eiba posted:

yeah there's no reason not to do this, in fact it should just be revamped to work the same as the gauranlen tree sprout and you just get to plant the seed wherever.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Eiba posted:

Do sun lamps work?

Sun lamps should work, with the usual penalty for nearby artificial construction. I'm uncertain if the grass can grow in planter boxes though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

QuarkJets posted:

(I did not know at the time that anima grass had this restriction)

Me neither how fuckin hot was it :staredog:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eiba posted:

Do sun lamps work? (...)
Yep! Granted the sun lamp itself counts towards the artificial building penalty but that isn't as crippling as it sounds even maxed out and if you're burying one then you probably don't care too much about that.

Also note that both trees are immune to toxicity/fallout too, but they won't sprout in toxic soil and it's the same thing where the grass dies from it still. They are however not immune to lightning fires, hungry thrumbo or alpha beavers, or other stuff that isn't an environmental hazard. As I'm sure we're all aware. :shepface:

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah there's no reason not to do this, in fact it should just be revamped to work the same as the gauranlen tree sprout and you just get to plant the seed wherever.
Having the anima tree sprout on the aaa end of the map from your base is supposed to be a balancing mechanic, but it's a tedious and annoying one so yeah just replant the dumbass things.

The real bullshit is not allowing bare soil with magic trees in tribal throne rooms and churches

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kitfox88 posted:

Jesus Christ you're just missing some human leather. :stare:

Yes, that is in fact what the prison attire was made out of for any of the "guests" who needed to be kept around for a while for various reasons.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

QuarkJets posted:

I once did a tribal village on a Pyroclastic Conflagration biome (basically lots of mamga and insanely high temperatures), we enclosed the anima tree in a room with an open roof just over the tree + grass area, and we used a lot of passive coolers to make it cool enough for anima grass to grow (I did not know at the time that anima grass had this restriction)

drat! I didn't know you could do that! I could have actual trees instead of fibercorn on my ice sheet with a heated, partially-unroofed room!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Look at this art y'all :supaburn:

ah sweet Bad Dragon started making guns

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dirk the Average posted:

Yes, that is in fact what the prison attire was made out of for any of the "guests" who needed to be kept around for a while for various reasons.

human leather kigurumi

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dirk the Average posted:

:stonklol:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tesla was right posted:

drat! I didn't know you could do that! I could have actual trees instead of fibercorn on my ice sheet with a heated, partially-unroofed room!

you do need a mod to let you grow trees under roofs and to let you grow trees not native to the biome (ice sheet has no trees permitted in vanilla), I have used this but fyi it also adjusts the minimum distance apart so the trees are all 1x1 instead of the more natural spacing. you can adjust that though.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515299608

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

I was using Vanilla Psycasts Expanded on a similar run and used all of the parts of the buffalo raider. Chronomancy to steal time from the enemy and de-age my pawn (to offset meditation psyskip and other such things), and then a nice ripscan to make a robot. After that the body was either meat, or was consumed via necromancy to increase maximum heat if the food stores were full.

Every part of the buffalo

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

If it makes you feel any better, he didn't kill children (at least as much as he could - if a child raider was downed, they'd be patched up and released) or family members. He also didn't kill people who weren't trying to kill him or his robots. From his point of view, it was about efficiency, and, well, mechs need brains to function, and the best source of brains are the renewable idiots who keep showing up to try to kill you. And if they're going to die anyway, why not get the most use out of them as you can?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tesla was right posted:

Wouldn't you still need soil? I guess you could use a mod for that, but otherwise everything else is vanilla - partial unroofing takes extra work to heat but it's feasible!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All vanilla maps except sea ice have some amount of stony soil (formerly gravel) and if you can keep it heated it's fine for farming if there's enough light for the particular plant, the closer to the poles you are the less light there is even if you use a skylight mod.

At the pole there's only about 40% light, i.e. not enough to grow most vanilla plants and trees, only nutrifungus (0% needed) and fibercorn (30%) iirc

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So I've had the same colony going since biotech launched and I think I've got the hang of it to the point where I can just grow as many high quality colonists as I need, and I'm thinking where I should go from here. I remember you get the option with the ship win to choose who to send, and can continue playing with those left behind right? Are the other win conditions similar? Are some repeatable? I think it would be neat to just try to do all of them using the same descendants if I can

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the Archonexus "win" (Ideology) is basically New Game Plus, and yeah it has 3(?) stages with some cosmetic differences, I don't know what happens at the final stage. The Royalty win (take the empire shuttle) lets you keep playing iirc.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
When I completed the archonexus victory it was a credit roll and all your colonists ascended to a higher plane of existence.

No way to continue that I could see. I didn't really try to find one though. It was a long grind and I needed a break from the game at that point.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm excited for Save Our Ship 2 to come back, I honestly might try the unstable branch just to get myself back in orbit

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I believe you can continue after a ship launch, or a whitestone ship launch, maybe even the stellarch shuttle launch. I think there's some difficulty if you want to do multiple endings in one playthrough.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Man, I've been itching to start another game but I want to wait until Vanilla Vehicles Expanded is out since I suspect the size of that mod means it won't be something you can add on an existing save. It's been in testing for a while now so I assume it's going to be out any day now.

Also, speaking of vanilla expanded, anyone knows if you can put kids in warcaskets? In my last game I had a bunch of kids show up begging for silver to buy back a friend from slavers. I didn't have enough silver, so they waited for a while and one of them went berserk and they turned hostile. I managed to capture them all, patch 'em up, then free them, but in hindsight putting them in mech suits so they can go free their friend by themselves and take revenge on some slavers might've been a better option. My colony was in the middle of a jungle filled with hostile creatures too, so it'd probably have helped their chances of survival which were pretty slim. Oh well, they made it to the map's border; anything that happens after that doesn't have anything to do with me.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
waiting for that mod to come out will mean you will never play. it's been "almost out" for like 3 years

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's definitely been "in testing" since late 2022, I've been waiting too :negative: SRTS isn't maintained anymore so I hope it comes out quick before something breaks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm still surprised vehicles have not been the subject of an official expansion, the game is well suited to them with caravans and the mechanoid bosses adding what I would call "vehicle scale" threats to the game. Hell even centipedes arguably would be better modeled as a multi tile unit with different components.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
single tile object pathing is literally exponentially easier than multitile object pathing in nearly all implementations

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OwlFancier posted:

I'm still surprised vehicles have not been the subject of an official expansion, the game is well suited to them with caravans and the mechanoid bosses adding what I would call "vehicle scale" threats to the game. Hell even centipedes arguably would be better modeled as a multi tile unit with different components.

There really should be a way to ride an artificial fast-moving entity with Giddy-Up! I just use chocobos

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the one mod i wanted to make back in the day was motorcycles. seriously just mechanical mounts so you could have a steel horse upon which to ride.

i uh

i never made any real progress

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RIBVORLF

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

waiting for that mod to come out will mean you will never play. it's been "almost out" for like 3 years

The latest Vanilla Expanded roadmap from earlier this month has it marked as "release candidate in testing" so it can't be that far away. Right?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

single tile object pathing is literally exponentially easier than multitile object pathing in nearly all implementations

Dwarf Fortress has had multiple tile object pathing for a decade and a half now if only for wagons, so it's definitely not impossible. Though admittedly Toady has a math Ph.D and is arguably insane, so maybe this isn't really the best comparison when trying to show that replicating that for another game will actually succeed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, but it would be a useful feature, I am sure it would be possible to pay somebody to figure that out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think toady just eats the exponent cuz wagons are only n = 2 (2x2) and you get big fat symmetries from the square shape

that was his thesis wasnt it? symmetries in banach spaces

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wagons are 3x3. They path on the central tile of the 3x3 path.

I had operated on the assumption that it calculates a valid path graph for 3x3 vehicles and the wagon just operates on that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah there you go, just ignore the changes from multitile

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
DF wagons also are extremely simple in usage, they just roll up to the fixed trade depot and then later they leave. You can precalculate that route to minimize performance impact if necessary, but people want to use vehicles for combat in RW and that means a lot of dynamic recalculations as targets move or the player begins micromanaging. Plus DF deals with one wagon at a time while you know players will absolutely be filling a screen with vehicles as soon as they can afford it.

I do want integrated vehicle support in RW but multi-tile entities is a ton of additional complexity for marginal benefit. Tynan's development style seems very much oriented towards least work for most gain so I expect he'd look for a different solution if he ever does do a vehicle expansion.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i think toady just eats the exponent cuz wagons are only n = 2 (2x2) and you get big fat symmetries from the square shape

that was his thesis wasnt it? symmetries in banach spaces

Great. Now I've got another paper to read on my Papers Stack. I'll never actually get to the bottom of it, but I still like to pretend I will on days where I don't add anything to it, and now you just broke that by giving me a math paper. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

DF wagons aren't something that are on the map all the time, but they do have to figure out a way through a 3D environment of trees and boulders and slopes and drawbridges trying to smash them into the oddly tall gate covered with wood splinters and reddish stains. I would actually be surprised if the main DF pathing algorithm didn't support arbitrary sizes seeing as I've never seen a human trading wagon act any more oddly than the rest of the caravan leading it.

As far as Tynan goes, I think at this point he realizes that the mods are what people will go for if they want more content, and there's no way the official DLCs can compete with that. So the most he can do is introduce new "official" systems that serve as a common anchor point for new mechanics that every mod can use instead of everyone having their own homebrew implementation. I'd say royalty wasn't a success in that regard since psycasts and the like didn't catch on that much. But ideology has led to a wealth of mods that touch the precepts/memes/styles system and all interact with one another. Biotech seems to be doing well so far in that regard, so I'd say it's another hit for giving a common framework for mods. Also I'm pretty sure there's been at least a few instances of Tynan approaching people who made successful mods and paying them to integrate them in the base game or make content for DLCs, so I think he knows how to "use" the mod community, with "use" being a word I employ in the best possible way here.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cool kids property of banach spaces is convergence of cauchy sequence but in grid discrete land who gives a poo poo i guess

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Great. Now I've got another paper to read on my Papers Stack. I'll never actually get to the bottom of it, but I still like to pretend I will on days where I don't add anything to it, and now you just broke that by giving me a math paper. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

DF wagons aren't something that are on the map all the time, but they do have to figure out a way through a 3D environment of trees and boulders and slopes and drawbridges trying to smash them into the oddly tall gate covered with wood splinters and reddish stains. I would actually be surprised if the main DF pathing algorithm didn't support arbitrary sizes seeing as I've never seen a human trading wagon act any more oddly than the rest of the caravan leading it.

As far as Tynan goes, I think at this point he realizes that the mods are what people will go for if they want more content, and there's no way the official DLCs can compete with that. So the most he can do is introduce new "official" systems that serve as a common anchor point for new mechanics that every mod can use instead of everyone having their own homebrew implementation. I'd say royalty wasn't a success in that regard since psycasts and the like didn't catch on that much. But ideology has led to a wealth of mods that touch the precepts/memes/styles system and all interact with one another. Biotech seems to be doing well so far in that regard, so I'd say it's another hit for giving a common framework for mods. Also I'm pretty sure there's been at least a few instances of Tynan approaching people who made successful mods and paying them to integrate them in the base game or make content for DLCs, so I think he knows how to "use" the mod community, with "use" being a word I employ in the best possible way here.

DF wagons can cheat by using the same pathfinding algorithm on a modified "the world as navigated by a MxN object" where every path-blocking obstacle is (M-1)/2 tiles wider in one dimension and (N-1)/2 tiles wider in the other. Rimworld also has poo poo like terrains with different speed values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds