Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Paritio's (Chapter 4 spoilers) boss was cool because it was a multi-target fight with enough hp and stages so they wouldn't just melt immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished Partitio's and Throne's Chapter 4's.

Man, I didn't think it would be possible to have complete polar ends of "well I didn't see this coming" reactions

For Partitio's Ch4: yeah that was kind of great tbh, wasn't expecting Roque to just try to mow us down with a Steam Doomtrain. I feel like the ending was a little too naive in a sense, but hey, I'm all for Partitio's way of doing things and hopefully that ends up working better for the world especially now that he's flipped Roque.

For Throne's Ch4: uh yeah, Lostseed was creepy af and I don't think "Dollar Tree Dracula is not only Throne's real father, but he knocked up countless women and all of the Blacksnakes are his biological children including Father, and he also literally cucked his son to have Throne" was the direction I was expecting her story to take. Plus he completely glosses over how he was loving immortal. I dunno, maybe the epilogue will eventually loop around to that. Although from the way it seems now, the remaining citizens of Lostseed seem barely coherent and are probably screwed, especially that one lady that was hording a bunch of rotten meat.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I felt so bad for stealing that stuffed toy from the woman there and how her dialogue changed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of stuffed toys

(Random NPC spoilers) The gently caress is up with the "StUfFeD ToY" kid in Gravell? There's a side quest about a creepy kid in that same town but it doesn't seem to be the StUfFeD ToY kid (they have different ages for one thing) and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about the StUfFeD ToY or anything. Just this weird creepy detail that doesn't lead anywhere.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I just assume it all ties back to the area in discussion somehow. Though there's also the ghost girl that doesn't seem to lead anywhere so maybe that town is just hosed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finale: So, uh, was Arcanette supposed to be a total pushover? By the time I finished her off, she was still only doing one action per round.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

FireWorksWell posted:

Though there's also the ghost girl that doesn't seem to lead anywhere so maybe that town is just hosed.

there's apparently a quest for that kid. but i have no idea how to find it.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Speaking of stuffed toys

(Random NPC spoilers) The gently caress is up with the "StUfFeD ToY" kid in Gravell? There's a side quest about a creepy kid in that same town but it doesn't seem to be the StUfFeD ToY kid (they have different ages for one thing) and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about the StUfFeD ToY or anything. Just this weird creepy detail that doesn't lead anywhere.

Go outside Gravell to the cliff before you and wait for dawn. Bring Temenos with you.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

They already mentioned that. It's not the same kid that you see in the town.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it really seems like that should be related but either it is and they typo'd the age (and didn't add any real resolution to the quest) or it's not related and there's more than one creepy kid in town.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I'm about 2/3rds of the way into the True Final Chapter and holy gently caress how many people were in on this "destroy the world" plot?!

Although it seems unlike Mindt and Kazan, Ori was definitely not built for this life (well, Tanzy wasn't either, but goddamn where the gently caress did that come from)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

MechaX posted:

(well, Tanzy wasn't either, but goddamn where the gently caress did that come from)

drat did I feel awful for her, but yeah, kind of came out of nowhere.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I just got 2 and I don’t remember being this lost in 1 but my memory is pretty fuzzy. Am I supposed to just beeline for chapter 2 of my starting character? Or go and pick up all the other characters first?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chasiubao posted:

I just got 2 and I don’t remember being this lost in 1 but my memory is pretty fuzzy. Am I supposed to just beeline for chapter 2 of my starting character? Or go and pick up all the other characters first?

You'll probably want to at least pick up 3 more people for a full team before doing any chapters 2. Once you have a full team you can just play the game in whatever order you like.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Do whatever. Travel around.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

You'll probably want to at least pick up 3 more people for a full team before doing any chapters 2. Once you have a full team you can just play the game in whatever order you like.

Agree with this but otherwise the world is your oyster. Be mindful of zones above your level caus the damage will scale way up very quickly but that doesn’t mean you can’t dip in and snatch goodies if you’re so inclined. It’s just pretty rough for a single character or even two. I think three would let you get away with some stuff though, if for some reason you don’t want to get four.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Just beat the final chapter.

Knowing that Dracula is a descendant of the evil wizard working for the Dark god doesn't make the twist that Dracula was behind everything in Throne's chapters less stupid.

Actually, a lot of those twists were really dumb. Tansy and the reporter were both in on it? Sure why not, gently caress it.

Still less tacked on than almost everything involving Galdera in the first game so they've improved there

Loved the game overall though. Better than the first and I really enjoyed the first one.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thanks! Like I said my memory is shot so I don’t remember if 1 had breadcrumbs leading you to more party members but 2 seems to be “well I mean they’re here if you want.”

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What I did was run around the world grabbing all 8 characters, then just explored and did chapters as I felt like, shuffling around my party as I went.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Knowing that Dracula is a descendant of the evil wizard working for the Dark god doesn't make the twist that Dracula was behind everything in Throne's chapters less stupid.

Actually, a lot of those twists were really dumb. Tansy and the reporter were both in on it? Sure why not, gently caress it.

Still less tacked on than almost everything involving Galdera in the first game so they've improved there

Loved the game overall though. Better than the first and I really enjoyed the first one.

Tanzy was less "in on it" and more just a really unfortunate victim of Arcanette's honey-tongued manipulation. She was wracked with grief and guilt over her lover's death and sadly the person she found to help her through it wrapped the poor girl around her finger.

The intended takeaway isn't "wow it's hosed up that Tanzy was a villain" but rather "wow it's hosed up how Arcanette took control of her through her grief".

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

What I did was run around the world grabbing all 8 characters, then just explored and did chapters as I felt like, shuffling around my party as I went.

This is what I’m gonna do. Gotta be honest the cleric is a dork I do not like his intro chapter. I started thief this time. In the first game I went dancer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Excuse me but Temenos "Sherlock Holmes But Somehow Even Gayer" Mistral kicks rear end :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Temenos is what you'd get if Cyrus was sassy instead of oblivious.

I love them both.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Temenos going into Detective Vision mode might be my favorite character thing. Him mentally bonking people in the head until they tell him stuff is also great

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

Excuse me but Temenos "Sherlock Holmes But Somehow Even Gayer" Mistral kicks rear end :colbert:

Maybe he'll grow on me idk. He's better than Cyrus was I'll say that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

Temenos going into Detective Vision mode might be my favorite character thing. Him mentally bonking people in the head until they tell him stuff is also great

Every time he goes "the truth... lies in the flame" I'm like "gently caress yes, let's go"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Tanzy was less "in on it" and more just a really unfortunate victim of Arcanette's honey-tongued manipulation. She was wracked with grief and guilt over her lover's death and sadly the person she found to help her through it wrapped the poor girl around her finger.

The intended takeaway isn't "wow it's hosed up that Tanzy was a villain" but rather "wow it's hosed up how Arcanette took control of her through her grief".

no I get all that. What I mean is what a random character to end up having such a big role in the end. Seemed like nothing hinted at it until it just happened

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

no I get all that. What I mean is what a random character to end up having such a big role in the end. Seemed like nothing hinted at it until it just happened

There's a small hint when you Inquire her. Her little bio mentions how she swears everything on the "Goddess" but nobody knows who the hell she's talking about because no gods in this world are referred to like that and she refuses to elaborate. As it turns out Arcanette was her "Goddess". Which is supremely hosed up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Wait

Finale spoilers ORI is in on it? That makes no sense and undermines huge swathes of Partitio’s story!!! AAAAAAAA

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Chapter: It's funny because Ori starts out on the evil side but Partitio's Powers of Benevolent Capitalism are so powerful even Ori is won over by him at the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone pointed out that if you're going around Inquiring everyone, on Roque Island, there's a somewhat miserable family and if you line up ages with backstories, the husband had a kid when he was 13... and his wife was 19.

This game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a lot of pretty dark stories hidden in NPC inquires/scrutinizes if you put together things you learn from multiple NPCs. Some funny ones, too. I love how drat near everyone in Clockbank is either a thief or former thief.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is last gasp worth keeping for anything other than npc farming? The fact that it's single hit makes it much less desirable to me now that I'm rocking sentencing gavel limb from limb aggressive thrust and frenzy fire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Limb from Limb is really all you need damage wise I think. Sentencing Gavel is also nice for sweeping random encounters.

At endgame my Hikari’s current load out is Limb from Limb, Sentencing Gavel, Shield Thief, Boost from Beyond (just to set up Alpione’s easily), and Divine Protection.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

There are a lot of pretty dark stories hidden in NPC inquires/scrutinizes if you put together things you learn from multiple NPCs. Some funny ones, too. I love how drat near everyone in Clockbank is either a thief or former thief.

There's also the guard who thinks everyone in town is really nice and loves the place

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

I just finished the last of the character/crossed path stories and I while I definitely enjoyed my time with it, it's been 70 hours and all the threads I cared about are resolved and I'm feeling like the final chapter stuff seems like a bit of a chore and it's time to move on. Figured I'd just read some spoilers to see how bad I was missing out and I'm definitely feeling validated in my decision.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finished the final chapter; some of the twists were completely bonkers but it was fun throughout. I never finished OT1 so a lot of the stuff in the true final battle floored me the party coming together for an 8v1 with the "the final battle begins" text was hype as hell. That final boss had hands though and things could spiral out of control real quick if you got unlucky.

Overall, I felt this game stuck the landing overall and was a real fun experience overall. Coming from someone who bounced off of OT1 pretty hard and ended up spending 80 hours in OT2 enjoying most of it, yeah just play OT2.

If a possible OT3 can go even further beyond this, we might get something absolutely magical.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait

Finale spoilers ORI is in on it? That makes no sense and undermines huge swathes of Partitio’s story!!! AAAAAAAA

As mentioned it's actually the other way around; Partitio being so earnest is the thing that actually got Ori doubting the plan entirely

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 22, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

(Final chapter spoilers) Yeah I thought that worked because the whole point is that Partitio’s goodness and earnestness helps Ori break out of the cult’s programming and he ends up unknowingly saving her life.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Just saw a fun point online (massive endgame and ending spoilers): out of the shadow group members, Claude, Trousseau, Tanzy, Oboro, Arcanette, Petrichor, Harvey, and Ori, their first-letters spell out Octopath too; this loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

MechaX posted:

Just saw a fun point online (massive endgame and ending spoilers): out of the shadow group members, Claude, Trousseau, Tanzy, Oboro, Arcanette, Petrichor, Harvey, and Ori, their first-letters spell out Octopath too; this loving game

not just that. if you arrange their names next to the names of their opposites in octopath order, it spells octopath backwards - remember the whole initial plan of the cult was to sacrifice people representing the gods in reverse order?