Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Star Wars purists are the worst. If it feels like “a 4th grader wrote it,” it fits in perfectly with the original trilogy.

Idk if anyone is being a purist?

I think Mandalorian season 3 is a poorly written show with nice visuals and a few good set pieces. I would say the same thing about the original trilogy. Both were good enough to keep watching, but I’ll complain about the flaws in each and I’m happiest when the series is better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ima Star Wars purist

It's pure poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Idk if anyone is being a purist?

I think Mandalorian season 3 is a poorly written show with nice visuals and a few good set pieces. I would say the same thing about the original trilogy. Both were good enough to keep watching, but I’ll complain about the flaws in each and I’m happiest when the series is better than that.

He's trying to jab at me because he knows I like the first three movies. Yeah they are stupid, but lol at comparing them to whatever the gently caress Disney is doing with this bloated corpse that is Star Wars.

Except Andor

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Ima Star Wars purist

It's pure poo poo

hehehe

lol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love my huge fan restorations of the og trilogy. Mando is pretty good.

Came to say, looks like my PS3 may be dead... Or in the next dimension. Getting the red blinky light and beeps when I try to turn it on. Googled it, they say it can be an overheating thing or a precursor to a YLOD etc, a reddit thread said. It's not hot, it's quite cool, haven't played a game on it in a while. Turned it on just to charge the controllers, had it on for a few hours and it conked out.

Unplugged it, brushed it off, doesn't look too dusty etc. MGS4 pack-in 80gb fat version. 2008 - 2023?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope 2030 has a good Star Wars thing that makes people happy that manages to be free of TERFs and Joe Rogan guests.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Star wars corpo milking suck rear end. I liked it back when it was 3 movies and a few books and a few cool video games about kyle katarn.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
This is how everyone should be dealing with star wars in 2023, 2019, 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWSsVOhnkY0

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Heavy Metal posted:

Came to say, looks like my PS3 may be dead... Or in the next dimension. Getting the red blinky light and beeps when I try to turn it on. Googled it, they say it can be an overheating thing or a precursor to a YLOD etc, a reddit thread said. It's not hot, it's quite cool, haven't played a game on it in a while. Turned it on just to charge the controllers, had it on for a few hours and it conked out.

Unplugged it, brushed it off, doesn't look too dusty etc. MGS4 pack-in 80gb fat version. 2008 - 2023?

Surprised that any fat PS3s are still rolling tbh. Thankfully, PS3 emulation is really good now!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAS-STPdWbc

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

haveblue posted:

His final video game role will likely be a future Destiny 2 season

Do you think Bungie ever recorded the death of Zavala as a failsafe, kinda like the apollo death speech?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Played the street fighter demo and lol, Luke’s mission to go outside and fight strangers in the streets feels like a wholesome version of Fight Club.

goblin week posted:

Do you think Bungie ever recorded the death of Zavala as a failsafe, kinda like the apollo death speech?

The epilogue of Burning Shores hints and him and Aloy starting to make amends of sorts and it really seems like he was meant to be a central team member in Horizon 3… so I doubt anyone knew he was doing poorly enough to record death scenes just in case.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Watching the sf6 showcase and they made it an RPG from Japan :eyepop:

The sp is has quests and xp and and city movement/random attacks and story and character introductions like yakuza :eyepop:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yup. It is a jrpg with street fighter combat. You wander around with a party, fight people for xp, use healing items from a pause menu, level up, buy clothes for stats… the demo was very familiar in ways I did not expect.

The “modern” control scheme is closer to a character action game than a traditional fighter.

Final Fantasy in 2023 has fighting game boss battles. Street Fighter in 2023 has JRPG stats, quests, and world exploration. It’d be fun to go back in time to the 90s and tell kids that someday FF and SF would release mainline titles in the same genre.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 21, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is there a video that explains these "modern" controls. Streer fighter has always been impossible for me to play.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Do a dragon punch

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Do a dragon punch

Doesn’t matter if I’m using a d-pad or an arcade stick, I’m more likely to accidentally jump than do a dragon punch when I want to.

DMC controls sound great. Always seemed weird that I had an easier time controlling Dante in a 3D game than a 2D one like MVC3.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

The sp is has quests and xp and and city movement/random attacks and story and character introductions like yakuza :eyepop:

Okay now I'm interested... :catstare:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Vikar Jerome posted:

gently caress. I am suddenly 10000% more interested in SF6.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah World Tour mode is somewhere between yakuza and MK Deception, it's neat

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CottonWolf posted:

gently caress. I am suddenly 10000% more interested in SF6.

Same here. I love SF but have no desire for online play and I have no one to do couch co-op with. This sounds right up my alley.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ZeeBoi posted:

It’s only Luke and Ryu :negative:

Luke is the poochie of SF. Please stop trying to make Luke a thing

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

bloodychill posted:

Do a dragon punch

I think you'll find it's called a shoryuken!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there a video that explains these "modern" controls. Streer fighter has always been impossible for me to play.

I dunno about a video, but the demo has two tutorials that introduce it. One that's part of the JRPG mode, and a more in depth one before starting the classic mode.

It's basically the controls you'd be familiar with in most character action games. You have face buttons dedicated to heavy and light attacks, shoulder buttons for parrying, grabbing, and special moves. They can be paired with directions on left stick for high, middle, or low attacks.

I've never been able to get far into fighting games because the combo memorization is just not fun, but SF6 is very intuitive. I can see how it wouldn't be very feasible for high-end 2-player competitive play (The classic controls still exist for that reason), but it makes the single player gameplay far more approachable for people like me.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
They added a RIVER CITY game to SF6 for World Tour. It's a side-step back to Beat-em Up Heaven, not JRPG Purgatory.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

fridge corn posted:

Save an extra 14% by buying discount psn cards on ShopTo

That's nice. Would UK vouchers work in the EU store? Because in euro's that discount is looking a lot less attractive (48,85 for the 50).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sioux posted:

That's nice. Would UK vouchers work in the EU store? Because in euro's that discount is looking a lot less attractive (48,85 for the 50).

If you're looking at the psn wallet cards on shopto not all of them carry the same amount of discount. Some are much less. The best deal is buying the £90 card for £77 but you'll get less value from buying other amounts.

I have no idea if UK vouchers will work in other countries storefronts

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
:psyduck: I can't believe I missed people discussing whether Star Wars is good or the dumbest poo poo ever (its both)

ReVerve posted:

They added a RIVER CITY game to SF6 for World Tour. It's a side-step back to Beat-em Up Heaven, not JRPG Purgatory.

this is intriguing, I remember trying the last SF when it was free on PS+ and it was such a nightmare of menus within menus I just couldn't be bothered and I assumed fighting games were basically Not For Me anymore

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, you have to buy PSN cards in euros. I don’t know of anywhere that sells them with the same kind of discounts shopto do though, that only works out for them because of a UK-specific tax dodge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sioux posted:

As far as I know, no there's a strict split between UK money cards and Euro.

There's nothing stopping you from making a UK account buying it on there with UK funbucks and then playing it on your normal account though, I don't think.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 21, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Got a code for xDefiant if anyone cares: KBA6-YWH4-UYVG-NH87

Go to: https://redeem.ubisoft.com/xdefiant and do whatever it says I guess.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Lol did they add that bit in ff1pr that hints about SoP or was it always there

in lufenia, one of them says they think someone else was controlling the fiends and they sent out FIVE warriors to find out, and much time as passed since they heard from them

Another one says they placed their last hope in five warriors they sent out :vince:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

star wars is not a new ip

I meant the game series Star Wars Jedi, Respawn only having made FPS games at that point meant they had to work on many systems and fundamentals from scratch. You can tell by playing the game why it reuses many of the enemies, the core combat/abilities feel good but it feels like they spend most of the dev time building the base for the game.

Sakurazuka posted:

Ima Star Wars purist

It's pure poo poo

Star Wars is so incredibly overrated for how mediocre it is. The best part is the audio/visuals from the start of the series, they were very impressive for the time, everything else is basically garbage fanfic level fantasy books even for that time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Star Wars is really good but tbh I have only seen the Phantom Menace trilogy once, in cinemas and I've never seen the Kylo Ren trilogy at all

Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast still has my favourite lightsaber combat in games tho (kotor has the worst)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My love of the original Star Wars movies pretty much boils down to the fact that I think a lot of the original production design stuff looks cool as hell, like all of those Ralph McQuarrie designs are loving amazing and the production crew made such amazing props and costumes that were super unique and iconic. The story itself is pretty basic and often childish, but it all looked amazing and the cast has a really fun energy. The story also gets the job done . Who cares if he just ripped off a bunch of samurai movies.

I think I'm resistant to everything else Star Wars adjacent mostly cause nearly (couple of notable exceptions) all of it is awful, but also it's just random assholes beating a dead horse by trying to over explain everything, put their own dumb spin on it, and see what money they can wring out of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The original trilogy, old games etc even the prequels in my opinion are awesome and extremely formative for me and I’ll defend them (well not really, I don’t need to defend them because they stand on their own and I don’t care about “Star Wars bad” comments because well uh who cares) but I can’t care about the new stuff for whatever reason. I’ll try the new movies eventually I guess.

Star Wars games are always worth checking out for me though. Lightsabers kick rear end, the Star Wars world and themes and all that are always fantastic. I hope the new game is good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
SF6 is going to be legendary.

Demo is too insubstantial though. Guess it works as marketing lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finally finished Ghost of Tsushima just now. The haptics in the last scene if you honor Shimura's request for death are really great, they simulate his dying heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vikar Jerome posted:

Lol did they add that bit in ff1pr that hints about SoP or was it always there

in lufenia, one of them says they think someone else was controlling the fiends and they sent out FIVE warriors to find out, and much time as passed since they heard from them

Another one says they placed their last hope in five warriors they sent out :vince:

I think this is a reference to the bats hanging around Garland's throne room that you can talk to at the very end that are like "we got zapped into being bats!" and have been there since the NES days, but I'm not totally sure that it was always five or if they tweaked the lines at all