Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EasyEW posted:

he wants Lillian to punch his loyalty card.

:wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's kinda wild that these doofuses were still doing the whole horse cavalry thing in 1941. Like what the gently caress are you going to do on your horses in the 40s?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Legends in the Heights

So does anyone else think this comic is basically what if Phone and Her Unicorn, except bad?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's kinda wild that these doofuses were still doing the whole horse cavalry thing in 1941. Like what the gently caress are you going to do on your horses in the 40s?

The American Bantam BRC40 Jeep had only been in production for five months at this point. World War II was the very end of mounted cavalry, the last US cavalry corps was dismounted in 1944.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

So does anyone else think this comic is basically what if Phone and Her Unicorn, except bad?

i think there's an inherent problem with trying to do long-form narrative from the jump via daily 4-panel comics

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Some Guy TT posted:

Yeah. I have really been trying to give it a chance, but it's lacking the whimsical fun that Phoebe has.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i think there's an inherent problem with trying to do long-form narrative from the jump via daily 4-panel comics

And there's also this to some degree too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No, read the caption. That's events from 1911.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

I think it does a lot of things at least averagely, making it better than truly bad comics, but it's gotten boring because it has spent at least twice as long as necessary to get to any point to the story. Unless it's pure slice of life, though maybe more comic artists need to stop setting up stories they don't feel like telling since Blind Alley had this problem too. At least BA just came out and admitted it this year.

There's a reason the mythical creature came to her, right? And meaning behind the dream?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Still partying like it's nineteen-Vargo-nine. (Hey Vargo, give a shout when you're back and want to take your comics over again.)

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In an unspeakable transporter accident not unlike Tuvix, Michelle has merged with E.T.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The domestication reference is irritating me even more than usual because while the phrase has never made contextual sense it makes aggressively negative contextual sense in a world where poodles were still somehow bred.

What does domestication even mean in the context of a culture that developed without humans or an equivalent single dominant species, where all species are equally sentient and/or sapient?

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

What would you do if he was actually sick? You live outside.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God Tif is so terrible! No wonder everyone hates her! She's such a meanie!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Home Free

What would you do if he was actually sick? You live outside.

I feel like with the amount of effort and supplies they are apparently going through (in addition to running a generator so they can use laptops and such), they could probably just stay in a hotel.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

There is entirely too much smiling in that comic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Drakyn posted:

I was completely and constitutionally incapable of understanding a single Krazy Kat strip (despite knowing about it since I was six because of hearing about all the Pogo and Calvin and Hobbes inspiration it drove) until you started posting it here. It's very peculiar and good, so thank you very much.

Agreed. At a pace of one a day, rather than trying to binge it in a collection or something, I can finally appreciate it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think this is the first I've heard of Mary having kids.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Brought to you by the Gravel Council.

Mary Worth

I'm betting Estelle and the vet are gonna be there, but this time we won't get the sing-off.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'm betting Estelle and the vet are gonna be there, but this time we won't get the sing-off.

You will never convince me that Mary, who knows Estelle likes karaoke, isn't counting on that very thing. She lives for the drama.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/30/50

Archie 2/27 - 3/1/47

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Real Sports Players Think Of The Fans" And Other Crap-rear end Morals

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 15-17, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (January 17-19, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Food Truck (September 15, 1914)

Tonight's Little Lefty: the dangers of conflicting loyalties. (May 26-28, 1938)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Trip report (in case anyone actually needs it): postimage isn't that bad, but the main issue for what we do here is that with a freeloader account (anon or otherwise), anything hotlinked pic bigger than 1280x gets downscaled. That isn't horrible for strips, but it'll do a number displaying Sunday pages. The original will be full-sized, but you'll have to click through (Thimble Theater's the example here).

Unfortunately postimg doesn't like me, I don't see them. It's been a thing with modern Arlo and Janis too, but since so few people use it I've just been living with it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

catlord posted:

Unfortunately postimg doesn't like me, I don't see them. It's been a thing with modern Arlo and Janis too, but since so few people use it I've just been living with it.

Well poo poo, none of it shows up on your end? That's not great. Anyone else having issues?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I haven't had any issues seeing anyone's images.
I usually read via Firefox with uBlock Origin or the Awful app on my phone, if that matters any.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Well poo poo, none of it shows up on your end? That's not great. Anyone else having issues?

Images on postimg.cc (e.g. Arlo and Janis, Our Boarding House) load rather slowly for me, but they do load. At worst it just means waiting an extra 10 seconds for the page to finish loading.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Oh hey, I just saw that we're one of the suggested threads on Pragmatica's weekly announcement!

So hello there, everyone who's looking in out of curiosity! Remember newspaper comic strips? Turns out they still exist despite, you know, newspapers being kind of a dying medium. We post comic strips new and old, and discuss them and make fun of them and make humorous edits of them. Welcome!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Oh hey, I just saw that we're one of the suggested threads on Pragmatica's weekly announcement!

So hello there, everyone who's looking in out of curiosity! Remember newspaper comic strips? Turns out they still exist despite, you know, newspapers being kind of a dying medium. We post comic strips new and old, and discuss them and make fun of them and make humorous edits of them. Welcome!

Also, we've been doing this for at least seventeen years ...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, if anyone is coming through due to that weekly suggestion... boy have you come in at a bad time for me, because this is the penultimate update of Blueberry! Where today... Skinney learns that he's not up for the job, or ...whole lot of things happening off panel here, huh?, or Well, that made the whole manhunt thing easy!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Wait am I misreading this or is KAL 007 now part of the plot?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I know the English expression is "stinking rich", but in Finnish we have an expression, "upporikas", that translates as "sunken rich", basically. Nobody really knows where it came from, but we have a ton of similar nonsensical word combinations (and no I am not just speaking of the entire Finnish dictionary!) of similar sounding words, where they are kind of stronger or more emphatic versions. When you want to emphasize that something is VERY new, instead of saying it is "uusi", new, you can say it's "upouusi".

It's kinda funny actually, that these kinds of expressions are our version of English speaking people trying to claim that "poo poo" is actually an acronym for Ship High In Transit and came about because ships stuck in anchor ("High in Transit") would start to smell bad because bloo bloo bloo. People are trying to come up with rational explanations for these terms, while actual linguists agree that they're either just pleasant sounding nonsensical combinations that are fun to say, or versions of words from old forgotten dialects that have morphed over the years into their current forms.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 22, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I mean, sinking the rich sounds like a great plan.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

What does domestication even mean in the context of a culture that developed without humans or an equivalent single dominant species, where all species are equally sentient and/or sapient?

IIRC, being domesticated means an animal has lost all their instincts (i.e. Predators lose their ability to hunt, prey are no longer quite so paranoid of getting eaten) as well as making them more subservient and willing to please their owner/boss. Holbrook being Holbrook, he can't decide if the strip treats domestication as an allegory for being gay and in the closet or some kind of learning disability. There was even a strip where a bunch of domesticated animals came together to have a big march to show support for one another.

If you read domestication as an allegory for being gay, the strip that you quoted becomes gross because Dorothy just told her closeted grandson to show off his secret on television, and it didn't matter because everyone in their neighborhood already suspected him of being gay/domesticated.

But what makes domestication complete nonsense as an allegory are two things: One, there were a bunch of strips about how having a bunch of humans who got sent to Hellworld like Danielle or some fan OCs were somehow causing a huge swath of animals to become domesticated just by being in their world. Even when they resolved the number of "allowed" humans to exist in Hellworld, the rest of the affected animals remain domesticated.

The other thing is how domestication wasn't even a thing that naturally sprouted from the aether. It was some kind of DNA (of loving course it's DNA) thing that the Birdlluminati used by time traveling to the distant past and injecting random animals with it. They hoped that doing so would eventually curb the murderous tendencies of Hellworld, which, lol. It also made their statement about how the Dewclaws are role model for predator and prey learning to peacefully coexist meaningless drivel because Kell is domesticated and that's part of the reason why she didn't kill Kevin in the first place.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

amigolupus posted:

IIRC, being domesticated means an animal has lost all their instincts (i.e. Predators lose their ability to hunt, prey are no longer quite so paranoid of getting eaten) as well as making them more subservient and willing to please their owner/boss. Holbrook being Holbrook, he can't decide if the strip treats domestication as an allegory for being gay and in the closet or some kind of learning disability. There was even a strip where a bunch of domesticated animals came together to have a big march to show support for one another.

If you read domestication as an allegory for being gay, the strip that you quoted becomes gross because Dorothy just told her closeted grandson to show off his secret on television, and it didn't matter because everyone in their neighborhood already suspected him of being gay/domesticated.

But what makes domestication complete nonsense as an allegory are two things: One, there were a bunch of strips about how having a bunch of humans who got sent to Hellworld like Danielle or some fan OCs were somehow causing a huge swath of animals to become domesticated just by being in their world. Even when they resolved the number of "allowed" humans to exist in Hellworld, the rest of the affected animals remain domesticated.

The other thing is how domestication wasn't even a thing that naturally sprouted from the aether. It was some kind of DNA (of loving course it's DNA) thing that the Birdlluminati used by time traveling to the distant past and injecting random animals with it. They hoped that doing so would eventually curb the murderous tendencies of Hellworld, which, lol. It also made their statement about how the Dewclaws are role model for predator and prey learning to peacefully coexist meaningless drivel because Kell is domesticated and that's part of the reason why she didn't kill Kevin in the first place.

I'm sorry, the brainworms have taken you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 18, 1956)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 22, 2023