Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I am incapable of understanding how a blue check was ever considered a status symbol when it just functionally tells you the user really is who they claim to be. The "elitist" portion comes from actually being that famous celebrity or billionaire or whatever. Pretending you're on equal ground by paying for a checkmark is incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

He's going to make a bunch of popular and celebrity accounts paid accounts so you can't use an automatic blue blocker because he is a moron.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

OUT OUT DAMNED SPOT

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does this dude use gold leaf for toilet paper

No, but Whitlock is so full of poo poo that $8 in TP/daily probably ain’t that far from the truth.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Last I checked, their solution that they were gonna try for the next time is to make the launch mount higher

:ughh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

is this the hyperloop entrance?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

good I hope they keep loving up launch pads

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Launching the rocket with a giant slingshot and let the engines do the rest.

what a dumb idea

you obviously lift the rocket with hot air balloons and then launch from altitude

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I am incapable of understanding how a blue check was ever considered a status symbol when it just functionally tells you the user really is who they claim to be. The "elitist" portion comes from actually being that famous celebrity or billionaire or whatever. Pretending you're on equal ground by paying for a checkmark is incredibly stupid.

It is literally magical thinking. They think manipulating the sign will manipulate the object being signified. They can identify a relationship between two things but they don’t understand or willfully ignore how that relationship works.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/travisbrown/status/1649433999914270722

that's about 7 seconds of his interest payment. well done!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

when they told elon ' we need a diverter' he thought they were talking about diverting advertisers away from twitter, not diverting exhaust away from the launch pad

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Some dumb journalists took it as having privileges (when it’s just verification and faster mod response) and now a bunch of dumber people thought it was true.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

Just look closer at the left gray column. That's a stair inside for people

happyhippy posted:

Loving how all the rocket engineers are in jeans and plaid.

Lmao holy poo poo. That's beautiful.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
they should launch it from a treadmill that'd really impress me

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

trucutru posted:

Yes, but it should also let everybody know you're paying for them misers.

https://twitter.com/oskararnarson/status/1649191571080790016

For just the price of a cup of coffee,

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

I mean it's a confluence of a few things - the blue checkmark was a desirable status symbol precisely because you couldn't buy it with money, and while it ostensibly was just "this person is who they say they are" they only verified people who met a nebulous standard of notability and therefore having one meant you were (in some sense) A Real Boy falling into the same broad category of people as Lebron and Fortune 500 CEOs

this was further complicated because the standards of verification had changed over time and there were a lot of random former buzzfeed journos/people who'd worked for small orgs/etc. who'd gotten verified early under less stringent notability standards and were getting some level of unearned cachet from the association, grandfathered members of a club most people had no chance of joining

and since those grandfathered members also were, by temperament, probably disproportionately inclined to prolifically post takes that are antagonistic towards the particular brand(s) of bullshit peddled by Elon and his fans, it's not surprising that there was a strong impulse to own their posting enemies by breaking up the club, but everything beyond that is absolutely them/Elon not understanding how or why any of this works on a fundamental level

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGO4LtCctTk

It's apparently as feasible engineering and physics wise as the Hyperloop, so, not at all, but like Hyperloop companies, they have raised a lot of money from idiots with too much money.

counterpoint: this is hilarious and fun and much more entertaining than elon "rebar is so expensive. first principles" musk's ideas

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Vishass posted:

after decades of articles about how rich people are rich because they don't spend money on stuff like coffee or netflix??

Duh, they’re using that money to buy $30 glass jugs of water from Erewhon

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Nenonen posted:

is this the hyperloop entrance?

Here's the plan, we excavate the diverter tunnels using the rocket exhaust of repeated launches. This will produce the most efficient diverter tunnels since they will naturally follow the preferred exhaust path as excavated.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does this dude use gold leaf for toilet paper

No, he needs it because of the McDonalds diet

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just a Moron posted:

Here's the plan, we excavate the diverter tunnels using the rocket exhaust of repeated launches. This will produce the most efficient diverter tunnels since they will naturally follow the preferred exhaust path as excavated.

this is unironically better than what they're going to do

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

counterpoint: this is hilarious and fun and much more entertaining than elon "rebar is so expensive. first principles" musk's ideas

yeah if you're going for a big expensive boondoggle project you should always do it hard. aim more for Dahir Insaat than for "tunnel with cars in it."

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

No, he needs it because of the McDonalds diet
Jason Shitrock

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGO4LtCctTk

It's apparently as feasible engineering and physics wise as the Hyperloop, so, not at all, but like Hyperloop companies, they have raised a lot of money from idiots with too much money.

i truly hopes this is a manned rocket, so we can atleast send omicron persei 8 a peace offering of soup

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

Woke Mind Virus posted:

https://twitter.com/travisbrown/status/1649433999914270722

that's about 7 seconds of his interest payment. well done!

hey, $224 is pretty good walking around money. Lucky!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Jonny 290 posted:

The prototype is pretty neat. I like this better than blowing up giant rockets over protected wetlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEVD9k2GLXk

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
maybe they should try inventing reusable launch pads

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

looking into it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

maybe they should try inventing reusable launch pads

:drat:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

like herpes, you can never really be cured of Twitter Blue.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1649498195326652432?s=20

nothing can ever kill grievance posting

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Jonny 290 posted:

100% agree

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tesla ftw in court today

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh what court case was it this week

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
screw all these calculations, have we actually just tried it to see what would happen?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/504015373109166080/1099062333692715028/9c0d98bb38b919d6763f09815bd17989.mp4
owned idiot

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i was gonna do a joke comparison between maggie gyllenhall and patricia arquette on who pays for twitter, but patricia deleted her account last year lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
lol they hate that the “elites” had checkmarks, now they’re begging those same people to pay $8 or else their $8 checkmarks won’t make them feel elite.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

lol they hate that the “elites” had checkmarks, now they’re begging those same people to pay $8 or else their $8 checkmarks won’t make them feel elite.

the inverse property of ingroups/outgroups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015