Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
What if it just triggered another simultaneous Wild Surge effect each time they crit? Most of them aren’t that powerful, but it could be fun and play into class lore. Plus there’s a chance they get a second damaging effect, or even the same one twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lamuella posted:

He has a horned skull as a mask, you've got to let him charge at people and gore them.

This is a good point. It's important imo to play into aesthetics mechanically.

Playing into type, something that big strong characters rarely get to do in D&D is throw people around. It's a great way to display "this guy you're fighting is super god drat strong".

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nemo posted:

What if it just triggered another simultaneous Wild Surge effect each time they crit? Most of them aren’t that powerful, but it could be fun and play into class lore. Plus there’s a chance they get a second damaging effect, or even the same one twice.

I think this is actually a cooler and simpler idea, thank you!

quote:

While raging, when you score a critical hit with this melee weapon, you may roll again on the Wild Magic table. This additional effect stacks with any already present effects, even if it is a duplicate effect.

So if they get the teleport effect twice, I'd double the range to 60 feet, for example.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Minor tweaks to assist readability:

"You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.

While you are raging and score a critical hit with this melee weapon, the target takes an extra 1d12 slashing damage.

If your active Wild Surge effect has a damage component, you may change the extra d12's damage type to match the Wild Surge effect."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dunno the best way to word it but I would change it to extra d12 of the weapon's current damage type rather than specify slashing.

I believe one or two of the Barb's wildmagic effects changes the weapon's damage type to force but doesn't actually do force damage.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

Dunno the best way to word it but I would change it to extra d12 of the weapon's current damage type rather than specify slashing.

I believe one or two of the Barb's wildmagic effects changes the weapon's damage type to force but doesn't actually do force damage.
Good point, ordinarily I'd write it that way if I was doing a feat / ability that could affect any weapon, but there are already a lot of conditional modifiers complicating things.

I think in this case the specificity of the 3rd paragraph would end up having the same effect, but the clarity in your version might prevent a mini argument at the table if a weird edge case came up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Just saw the D&D movie, was a blast! I especially loved the meta jokes, like the "Seems arbitrary" exchange.

On the magic item discussion here's some stuff I made for my last one shot mainly by sorta eye-balling a bunch of "weak" effects together (and trying to avoid going from +1 to +2 in any kind of consistent way).

quote:

Wild Handaxe of Blood

Grants the user +1 to attacks and damage while the user is Raging.

The user gains a +1 to initiative rolls, and while they are first in initiative, gain an extra 5' of movement.

quote:

The Forgotten Odachi of the Crashing Wave

Martial Exotic Weapon (Greatsword), rare (requires attunement)

The bearer may spend an action to attempt to ignite the old magic in this weapon with a DC 13 Charisma check. If successful, treat the weapon as a +1 weapon as long as the bearer maintains concentration on this effect, maximum 10 minutes.

Whenever the bearer deals damage to a hostile creature, this weapon gains a charge. As a bonus action, the bearer can use any number of charges to deal that much extra lightning damage on their next attack. These charges dissipate after 10 rounds without hitting a hostile target.

Ignores the AC bonuses given by spells such as Mage Armor and Shield.

When the bearer rolls a critical hit with this weapon, all creatures other than the bearer within 5 feet of the target (including the target) must roll a DC 12 constitution saving throw or be knocked prone by a wave of concussive force.

quote:

Ancient Studded Leather Armor

Light Armor (Studded Leather Armor)

Treat this as +1 armor if the bearer has half their maximum hit points or less.

The bearer gains a +1 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

The bearer may spend their reaction to gain a +1 AC bonus vs. any melee or ranged attacks until the beginning of their next turn.

A lot of an effort to try to give magic items that are more "situational" with temporary or conditional bonuses.

Some of these went over fine enough, others were like "This is a bad item, and it's so bad we're just going to leave it here." Which stung a little. :D

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
hi.

I made my first character, and I'm going to some game place with my girlfriend Saturday to learn how to play. I guess I'm taking this character? Is there a way I can share it here and then you guys can tell me how stupid it looks and how likely it is that everyone laughs at me?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If you wanted to post an image of your character sheet or a description of your character I'm sure people would be happy to look at it. The important question is whether you'd enjoy playing that character.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Word, also maybe I'm not as prepared as I thought I was, since I don't know what to put in spell save DC and spell attack bonus

I think I'd have a pretty good time, made a little backstory and everything. I wanted something not like...normal, like different enough that if I go to this place I could find someone willing to teach me because my character is a little different than what a typical new person brings in?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, so your spell save DC is 8 plus your spellcasting modifier (your charisma modifier) plus your proficiency bonus (should be 2). And your spell attack bonus is your proficiency bonus plus your spellcasting modifier.

I'm currently running a half elf bard in another game, so I'll be happy to look at this.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One minor thing, bardic inspiration isn't a cantrip. It's an ability you get 3 times a day (or a number equal to your charisma modifier). Doesn't use a spell slot to use but is limited.

Other than that, mechanically your build seems fine. Leading with charisma with a dex backup is the right way to do it. Low wisdom fits with what you've described as your character concept (but does mean that your perception checks are going to suck). Looks like it could be a fun character to play.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It would be a little more optimal to cut CHA to 16 so you can boost CON to 14, but it also extremely does not matter. Your character is fine and the choice probably won't matter during a one shot.

If you care about the distinction (and it's completely fine if you don't), your actual ability score (the big number, like 17 for CHA) almost never gets used. Your modifier (the +3) handles basically everything. And that modifier only ticks up on even numbers. So 17 CHA is effectively the same as 16. You could invest that point into CON to go from +1 modifier to +2.

Again, it's not a big deal and if it's confusing right now, don't bother. It will be second nature before long.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

one more thing to remember: if it's a "Learn how to play" game, nobody is going to mind if you've got some bits in your build that aren't optimal. The game is exactly there for you to work those bits out. Nothing about your character right now jumps out as "this is just silly", and I've played games with people who have much less well put together characters and still had a good time because they were just enjoying roleplaying their characters.

I would suggest that as a chaotic gambling charlatan bard you try to focus more on "being chaotic to non player characters" rather than "being chaotic to members of your party". At least until you know the people you're playing with a bit better.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
If that is the first character sheet you have ever made then you are way ahead of most new players. Your build looks solid and your character has a personality, so you are definitely on the right path.

Aside from Bardic Inspiration not being a cantrip, I would note that a level 1 Bard should know 4 first level spells. I only see two from your screen grab.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dissonant whispers is always a fun pick, and Healing Word can make you a very good utility player in battle.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Zurreco posted:

If that is the first character sheet you have ever made then you are way ahead of most new players. Your build looks solid and your character has a personality, so you are definitely on the right path.

This is comforting to hear! I'll fix up a few things before Saturday, thanks everyone!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Zurreco posted:

Aside from Bardic Inspiration not being a cantrip, I would note that a level 1 Bard should know 4 first level spells. I only see two from your screen grab.

I'd recommend one of the two extra spells you take be Healing Word: not only is being able to heal a way to instantly being loved by the party (especially when combined with bardic inspiration), but it's a bonus action spell, meaning you can attack with your rapier and still cast the spell (note: you can't cast two spells, however).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Daduzi posted:

I'd recommend one of the two extra spells you take be Healing Word: not only is being able to heal a way to instantly being loved by the party (especially when combined with bardic inspiration), but it's a bonus action spell, meaning you can attack with your rapier and still cast the spell (note: you can't cast two spells, however).

You can cast 2 spells, but only if 1 is a cantrip. So, healing word and vicious mockery is OK.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My bard took a level in Hexblade, and there is nothing at all like hitting someone's enemy with Eldritch Blast and then hitting your friend with Healing Word in the same turn to make you feel useful.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
That’s the bards signature ability: they always have something useful to do.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gonna play a pact of the chain warlock in this one-shot. Jesus, Investment of the Chain lets you use your bonus action to order a sprite to shoot from 40 feet and apply poison condition/potentially knock the enemy unconscious all using your caster DC? How did I never see this

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Gonna play a pact of the chain warlock in this one-shot. Jesus, Investment of the Chain lets you use your bonus action to order a sprite to shoot from 40 feet and apply poison condition/potentially knock the enemy unconscious all using your caster DC? How did I never see this

It is really good early on...it doesn't scale terribly well though since the Sprites chance to hit doesn't increase as you level. So I would switch off that invocation by level 8 or 9, but levels 3-7....its super good (and a lot of fun).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, this is just a one-shot so I wanted to do something I haven't used before that has a lot of play at level 3.

I'll probably come up with something else if we go into a full campaign.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's because they dont include the stat blocks for your expanded familiars, so you have to like, go look them up and go oh, this is actually good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Lobe posted:

You can cast 2 spells, but only if 1 is a cantrip. So, healing word and vicious mockery is OK.

Also the cantrip has to have a casting time of an action. Or alternatively if none of the spells cast are bonus actions you can cast multiple, e.g. you can cast a spell as a reaction and an action.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
What do you guys think of this homebrew NPC child statblock I made for NPCs in my game. Didn't seem right just to give them the same stats as an adult commoner.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Do I want to know why you need a statblock for children?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do you expect the child statblock to get much use

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Their AC should just be "anything but a nat 1."

Actually, can you make a statblock for a newborn baby as well?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sometimes you're in a new town and might want to get information or find errand runners who won't think too deeply on it? I think there's plenty of Dms who prefer having stat sheets for everything even if narratively you could get away with eyeballing things.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm gonna axe nimble escape. But like Raenir Salazar said, I'd prefer to have a statblock for everything.

It's mainly just in case monsters attack a village/town as I don't really feel like a running a game where the PCs wanna play child murderers. But having a statblock IMO is useful cause it also means I can have a a concrete guidelines for saves. etc.

edit: Also changing the hit die to a d8 so they have 3 hit points instead of 2 (As hardy as an average badger compared to as hardy as an average housecat)

trapstar fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 20, 2023

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
d8 is higher than a wizard. I'd probably keep it at d6. How old are these kids? 6-7 or 10-12? I'd probably give them 12 Dex and 10 con, maybe more. A cat has 15 dex and 10 con for reference.

Are they cute orphan kids or annoying street rats? Maybe 13-14 charisma?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess it doesn't really matter since you're using Beyond and its all automated, but fwiw my tip for a NPC that's kinda inconsequential you don't really need to bother with a full statline. In practice the only thing that's going to matter for him are his saves, and you can reduce that down to just one number, or two if you want to give him one save that he's good at in particular, like +0 dex/-2 everything else. 2 HP, 3 HP, won't really make a difference if you're rolling an attack against him. Personally when I'm keying stuff I'll write inline in the key like "villagers (hp4 ac10 sv+0 atk +2/1d4)" or less, if I don't think I'll care what their ac is or their attacks or I can just assume they die in one hit or whatever.

If you're importing this stuff into Foundry or whatever ignore me though, easier to just have the full statblock in that case.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Goffer posted:

d8 is higher than a wizard. I'd probably keep it at d6. How old are these kids? 6-7 or 10-12? I'd probably give them 12 Dex and 10 con, maybe more. A cat has 15 dex and 10 con for reference.

Are they cute orphan kids or annoying street rats? Maybe 13-14 charisma?

Took what you said into consideration and this is the new statblock. (Apparently even a crab has 10 CON)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
25 ft speed would seem more appropriate to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The idea could also be its just handy to have a stat block for reference, because your street urchin pick pocket is going to be a little different from your farm hand and while it might not be really worth it to make a different statblock for either it might be useful to have a stat block that let's you setup a baseline.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

The idea could also be its just handy to have a stat block for reference, because your street urchin pick pocket is going to be a little different from your farm hand and while it might not be really worth it to make a different statblock for either it might be useful to have a stat block that let's you setup a baseline.

Or a flavor of polymorph turns someone into a child, and you need some basic stats to play it.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Are there any decent space combat rules out for 5e? I know, there's plenty of better games for sci-fi stuff than 5e. But half my players don't want to learn a new game. Space combat isn't a focus of the campaign but it might still come up, so something for my players to engage with would be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

Are there any decent space combat rules out for 5e? I know, there's plenty of better games for sci-fi stuff than 5e. But half my players don't want to learn a new game. Space combat isn't a focus of the campaign but it might still come up, so something for my players to engage with would be nice
The ship combat in Wildjammer isn't bad, if what you want is tactical space combat that has about as much weight as a regular 5e fight. Its a hack on the combat from Dark Matter if you're looking for something slightly harder scifi. If by "space combat" you mean SJ though, imo Wildjammer is too heavy for what significance the ship combat actually has in SJ campaigns, I kinda like Captains and Cannons on DMs Guild for that + some of the ship stuff from Saltmarsh.