Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blue squares posted:

Rebecca the billionaire in an Apple TV show has an android???

Not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

blue squares posted:

We often see iphones get use in the show, so maybe the android was in there because it gets wet and stops working or something.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don’t recall seeing the phone itself but I’m pretty sure she’s always had an iphone. It was just green to show that the messages weren’t going through as iMessages, probably to show that her phone wasn’t connected.

That’s why each message said “Sent as text message”

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don’t recall seeing the phone itself but I’m pretty sure she’s always had an iphone. It was just green to show that the messages weren’t going through as iMessages, probably to show that her phone wasn’t connected.

That’s why each message said “Sent as text message”

Oh, that makes sense

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, in contrast to the messages earlier (about the pronunciation of Ajax) which used iPhone Memojis.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The whole total football thing at the end was a bit hard to parse, was it just another joke at Ted's ignorance about football or was it meant to signify that although Ted is clueless he has managed to conceive football on the same level of famous revolutionary football genius (and obviously Ajax Amsterdam legend) Johann Cruyff, it didn't feel like just an empty joke to me and it does come as a juxtaposition to Roy and Beard constantly suggesting rigid old school positional tactics, so I guess we're set up for Ted showing a degree of competency (by applying a tactic which is famously not suitable for mediocre teams nor is it a style that can just be easily adopted without intense drilling, but, i mean, lol football realism who cares) for the final parts of the season.

I think it was a multi-level joke.

The first is: there is a standard trope around “fish out of water” characters where, due to their Outsider status, they are able to provide to the protagonist some new esoteric information or new perspective on a situation which allows the protagonist to solve the challenge they’re wrestling with, often to superstar levels because their outside knowledge radically changes the situation, possibly even stretching the bounds of what’s allowable. So the show clearly sets us up to expect that, given that Ted is on drugs (special insight!) and hearing about superior basketball strategies (outside knowledge!), and does a great job of setting you up to expect that Ted’s breakthrough is going to Change The Game.

The second is: Ted was re-inventing stuff that hadn’t been revolutionary for forty years. So the joke is on the audience thinking the story is going to be fantastical (Ted reinvents soccer!!! No one will be able to defend against it! He’ll out-Nate Nate!!) when it’s actually realistic.

The third is that even though it’s not a major revelation which will change the nature of soccer forever, it’s actually still a pretty good idea and leans into Ted’s strengths as a coach. So the flip of expectations in the second joke is flipped again.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 20, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

blue squares posted:

Entirely plausible Apple has an insane brand integrity division that does not want to show one of their products being destroyed/lost. I got curious and went back to the prior episode, scrolled around a bit; she definitely has an iPhone there.

EDIT: Okay I looked again. She's on an iPhone when she's talking to Keeley on the bridge; her SMS just went green because the phone died, I guess.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 20, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fourth level is that it was a dud batch and he was just really in the groove because that BBQ sauce was so good

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Phenotype posted:

Man, this show is really losing me. I always thought it was a little too meandering and indulgent, but this one took it to another level, just a full hour-long episode of durdling character stuff without any real forward progress. There's a director out there that could have tied this all into a much tighter package, more focused on the football season and using the character relationships as the emotional core of the story, and I've been waiting for that to come into being since the start, but that's just not what they're doing. And what they ARE doing just feels incredibly mediocre and saccharine and aimless and just ugh. Such a waste of a cool premise.

Yeah, I'm feeling this way a lot more, especially after the last episode (and this is coming from someone who thought Coach Beard's Big Night Out was the only good episode of Season 2). Is it just me or does the show feel like it's one of those bags of chips that looks big on the outside, but when you open it there's like three chips and a whole lot of air in there? Episodes are long, scenes are long, everything is edited in this kind of languid way that makes it feel like characters are being fed their lines through an earpiece, scenes feel like they're missing music, it's just all so weird. Plotlines that seem like they should be a Really Big Deal (Rebecca dating an employee half her age, Ted's marriage counselor shacking up with his ex) are treated as essential non-issues by the characters in what feels like a baity way to get us to debate over why no one in this universe acts like an actual person anymore. Keeley continues to be the most boring character on the show and Rebecca continues to get pigeonholed into all her plotlines being about boys. Everyone's just kind of standing around smirking and being rich and loving around on their Apple products without any real stakes or interest anymore. Was really excited for the show to get back on track after the Season 3 premiere but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to even get through whole episodes now. Really disappointing stuff.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 20, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I love the little detail that Zava was also only at Ajax for half a season.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Zero One posted:

I love the little detail that Zava was also only at Ajax for half a season.

I'm glad you mentioned it because I had thought "that's weird that Richmond already put up his picture" and somehow didn't consider that they're in Amsterdam, the year on the picture is "wrong", that Zava played for Ajax, etc.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I was curious about when I heard Trent mention the "Pink Triangle", and found out that their heart-to-heart was filmed at this monument and I think it's now very suddenly dusty in here and I'm cutting up onions?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomonument

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Nybble posted:

I was curious about when I heard Trent mention the "Pink Triangle", and found out that their heart-to-heart was filmed at this monument and I think it's now very suddenly dusty in here and I'm cutting up onions?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomonument

Oh wow, that's perfect.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I have to pretty much agree. I liked the first two seasons a lot more, and I don't know if it's because this season is worse or if it's just because most of the stories I'm finding uninteresting. The only ones I find myself caring about at this season are Colin being a gay pro footballer and the overarching Ted vs Nate stuff. The Zava stuff was fun too but seems to be over now.

Keelys business adventures have been pretty boring, Jamie and Roys friendship is already pretty much solidified and isn't doing anything interesting. Rebecca's psychic prediction + must have a baby/find a man storyline is crap for her character imo. The rest of the team are all just there for a one liner. The only interesting thing to come from Trent being with the team was him connecting with Colin in this last episode.

I dunno it just feels like it's gone from being about the team and their lives to a bunch of side stories that are unconnected from the main plot of Richmond FC the club and team.

Pretty much agree with all this. Not a bad episode, but at certain points I found my mind wandering, just not fully engaged with the show, especially Rebecca's little adventure.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah lots of little details they nailed this episode.

BTW the pillow fight was a callback to season one.

quote:

Ted: All right, fellas, we got team meal in an hour. After that, it’s either gonna be movie night or a pillow fight. What’s it gonna be this time around?
All: Movie night.
Ted: All right. But I tell you what, y’all say “pillow fight” one time, and we’ll never watch another movie together again.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

AcidCat posted:

Pretty much agree with all this. Not a bad episode, but at certain points I found my mind wandering, just not fully engaged with the show, especially Rebecca's little adventure.

Yeah, as much as I loved this episode, I will agree that I thought Rebecca's side story was just kind of...pointless, I guess? There was nothing offensively wrong with it, and it was sweet at points, but for me, it just didn't seem to accomplish anything in terms of moving her character and story forward.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zero One posted:

"So mom, what was I saying? Oh yeah I met a nice couple who invited me to have a threesome."

This commenter at the AV Club nailed it, I think:

The same person also noted:

Was there a booming comedy scene in Amsterdam in the late 90s/early 2000s? I know Seth Meyers lived there for a few years and that's where he met Amber Ruffins.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Yeah, as much as I loved this episode, I will agree that I thought Rebecca's side story was just kind of...pointless, I guess? There was nothing offensively wrong with it, and it was sweet at points, but for me, it just didn't seem to accomplish anything in terms of moving her character and story forward.

Is everyone missing the part where in the morning Rebecca asks Dutch guy, “Last night… did we…?” and he responds “Did we? Did we… no.” Then after she leaves, he says to himself, “Did we? Oh yes, we did.” Like, she’s definitely gonna be pregnant.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

See, now I took the second "did we....yes we did" to mean "did we have an instant connection" or "did we just fall in love"

They show her falling asleep on the couch and him going to his bedroom.

She was not black out drunk so she would have remembered.

There's absolutely no indication in their whole interaction he would have lied to her about it if they did have sex.

They did not sleep together.

sheri fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 20, 2023

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

sheri posted:

See, now I took the second "did we" to mean "did we have an instant connection" or "did we just fall in love"

Yea, that’s how I interpreted it.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
that would also be a very screwed up story twist for the show? like hey now with half a season left to wrap this whole thing up, Rebecca was sexually assaulted? lmao

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

That guy will be back. He's simply too charming, too manly, too much of a gentlemen to not being a reoccurring character.

He also has a daughter that we haven't met, and she will also be charming and ridiculously precocious, and there's no way this guy turns out to be bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By a guy who was depicted with zero red flags, and set up as basically perfect and idealized. The message being what, sexual assault is cool if it's by a nice guy? It is to lmao

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

sure okay posted:

That guy will be back. He's simply too charming, too manly, too much of a gentlemen to not being a reoccurring character.

He also has a daughter that we haven't met, and she will also be charming and ridiculously precocious, and there's no way this guy turns out to be bad.

Can't wait to see what his dutch styled take down of Rupert will be

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

sure okay posted:

wait until we find out he's besties with geert wilders

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tweak posted:

Can't wait to see what his dutch styled take down of Rupert will be

Flattened and baked into a stroopwafel

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

sure okay posted:

As soon as the Rebecca's Kid storyline started I thought about Sassy having a safe fall on her head and now Rebecca has a kid to look after.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

sure okay posted:

Oh god it's gonna be this isn't it? You don't have to have a biological child to be a parent!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Data Graham posted:

By a guy who was depicted with zero red flags, and set up as basically perfect and idealized. The message being what, sexual assault is cool if it's by a nice guy? It is to lmao

Did you see season 2 where they depicted an employer sexually taking advantage of an immigrant employee who relied on his job to stay in the country as a really cool and empowering thing?

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did you see season 2 where they depicted an employer sexually taking advantage of an immigrant employee who relied on his job to stay in the country as a really cool and empowering thing?

To be fair that is very empowering for the employer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I do have a slight urge to sell everything and buy a houseboat in Amsterdam.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

sheri posted:

See, now I took the second "did we....yes we did" to mean "did we have an instant connection" or "did we just fall in love"

There's absolutely no indication in their whole interaction he would have lied to her about it if they did have sex.

She comes out of his bedroom in the morning, she’s probably pregnant.

Also I think his “did we? …We did” is supposed to indicate he was also boozed up and couldn’t quite remember until she walked out the door. Rebecca gets to be a single mother millionaire when she can’t find a guy who will literally up anchor and sail away with no way of being traced. They didn’t even trade names.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

The Hausu Usher posted:

has it not been established she is unable to get pregnant

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Hausu Usher posted:

Also I think his “did we? …We did” is supposed to indicate he was also boozed up and couldn’t quite remember until she walked out the door. Rebecca gets to be a single mother millionaire when she can’t find a guy who will literally up anchor and sail away with no way of being traced. They didn’t even trade names.

She actually comes out of the shower/bathroom area, not the bedroom.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Didn't they show her pass out on the couch during the foot rub? They are not gonna make this guy a sexual assaulter. I hope not at least or that's pretty dark.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It would be even more wild if they went the route that IVF wasn't viable to get pregnant but some random dudes ~~magic sperm~~ did it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

She actually comes out of the shower/bathroom area, not the bedroom.

She asks him if they banged, I don't think the episode showed the entire story of their night together. She could easily have jumped into his bed through the night. Then again he isn't 25 years younger and an employee so maybe he's not her type.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 21, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They totally hooked up, whatever

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I can't believe Rebecca and the Boat Guy had sex at the sex show and the whole team watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hobo Clown posted:

I can't believe Rebecca and the Boat Guy had sex at the sex show and the whole team watched

And that sex show. Like most sex shows, was in a windmill which housed a pseudo-American grease dinner.