Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Okay, sure, but all of that is very well established in that episode.

The whole "how strange it is I of all people to start a family thing" is basically in the very text of the episode.

It's very clear from the episode itself that Picard and Kamin were not similar people. I think that it's just hard for people who do have the background and experience with the characters to see something that's so clearly a personal episode that has a lot to do with those characters in any kind of light than as a fan who already knows a bunch about it.

But TNG is pretty good about making stuff self contained, for the most part.

Argh, just made myself sad by imagining Star Trek Generations and Picard in the Nexus is just back to being Kamin, because he was happy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's against the law to look at a map of the Milky Way without accompanying music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZoFw9uXJwk

Now that you've heard it, it's time to reinstall.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard spoilers but classic trek interest: Some nice HD 360 panoramas of the recreated D bridge here http://prmntpl.us/EnterpriseD360

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Always loved that conversion van aesthetic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Der Kyhe posted:

But yeah no, we get that "Starfleet academy show" that has been the lazy option since Roddenberry

Honestly I'm fine with "Starfleet Academy", I'm just deeply opposed to it being "Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy"

They want to put it in the 32nd century? Okay cool

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

V-Men posted:

I could also see adapting Roddenberry's Earth Final Conflict idea to one that follows a Starfleet diplomatic team, newly arrived on a planet that just joined the Federation and having to convince the various people that they're only here to help.
This actually would be pretty interesting and I think you could rig it well, especially if the planet joined the Federation under somewhat weird circumstances and the ship that is hosting/is detailed to support the diplomatic mission can do some runabout-style near-space exploration business. For some reason I'm imagining an adjacent nebula and the big season 2 finale twist is that they've successfully bought off Niven and thrown Pournelle in a vapor lock, and it's now The Mote in God's Eye, but with Starfleet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

This actually would be pretty interesting and I think you could rig it well, especially if the planet joined the Federation under somewhat weird circumstances and the ship that is hosting/is detailed to support the diplomatic mission can do some runabout-style near-space exploration business. For some reason I'm imagining an adjacent nebula and the big season 2 finale twist is that they've successfully bought off Niven and thrown Pournelle in a vapor lock, and it's now The Mote in God's Eye, but with Starfleet.

Pournelle's dead, so no need to worry about him any more anyway.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

Picard spoilers but classic trek interest: Some nice HD 360 panoramas of the recreated D bridge here http://prmntpl.us/EnterpriseD360

this is cool, it shows just how much space there is on a bridge. having been on a kinda-sorta replica the chairs are surprisngly far away, there's a lot of empty space everywhere, and the bridge monitors are way further back than it seems, etc.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Future Trek series talk: maybe what is best for Trek is if the show / franchise dies again?

At least until it is taken out of the hands of the current producers because seriously

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeeves posted:

Future Trek series talk: maybe what is best for Trek is if the show / franchise dies again?

At least until it is taken out of the hands of the current producers because seriously
Strange New Worlds kicks rear end so far, so it and Prodigy can stay.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MikeJF posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was the only original part used, actually, they got it out of the archives

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jeeves posted:

Nah, gently caress this line of thinking. Things don’t get better just because they stop getting made.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, gently caress this line of thinking. Things don’t get better just because they stop getting made.

They also don't get better if they keep being made by essentially the same clique of well connected failchildren. My thinking is that Star Trek (and a lot of other things) needs to become public domain at this point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tighclops posted:

They also don't get better if they keep being made by essentially the same clique of well connected failchildren. My thinking is that Star Trek (and a lot of other things) needs to become public domain at this point.
Lower Decks, SNW and Prodigy are all OK though? So we're looking at a 60% success rate

I would certainly agree with new blood

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tighclops posted:

Somewhere, Alec Peters just heard the old-timey cash register sound and sat up excitedly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nessus posted:

Lower Decks, SNW and Prodigy are all OK though? So we're looking at a 60% success rate

I would certainly agree with new blood

If you conveniently ignore the three good shows out of the four currently running, then suddenly “nuTrek” is a massive failure that should be killed altogether and Kathleen Kennedy Alex Kurtzman should be fired for ruining our childhoods

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you conveniently ignore the three good shows out of the four currently running, then suddenly “nuTrek” is a massive failure that should be killed altogether and Kathleen Kennedy Alex Kurtzman should be fired for ruining our childhoods
Granted that only SNW is in the same basic/core format as TOS and the 90s shows, but on the other hand, who gives a poo poo? TAS is canon. In fact, TAS is *more* canon than anything else.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Somewhere, Alec Peters just heard the old-timey cash register sound and sat up excitedly.

He's a massive rear end in a top hat, but his dumb self absorbed fanservicey crap is exactly the kind of thing that gets "officially made" by Terry and Paramount now so gently caress it, everybody should be allowed to bash their Playmates action figures together for all to see. There are many people posting in these threads that could come up with better stories.

I mean within a decade AI will probably be able to generate whole rear end episodes of Star Trek so it's coming anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nessus posted:

Granted that only SNW is in the same basic/core format as TOS and the 90s shows, but on the other hand, who gives a poo poo? TAS is canon. In fact, TAS is *more* canon than anything else.

I mean, both animated shows do the 'go to a planet/weird space thing, wackiness ensues' fairly regularly.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

LividLiquid posted:

Strange New Worlds kicks rear end so far, so it and Prodigy can stay.

Yeah but I am 1000% sure any accidentally decent* Nu-Trek will go the way of S1 Mandalorian and be just ground down into bullshit.

*decent in comparison to Picard or Discovery, but still bottom tier of anything previous.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anything good is just an accident so that my broad generalizations can still be valid!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jeeves posted:

Yeah but I am 1000% sure any accidentally decent* Nu-Trek will go the way of S1 Mandalorian and be just ground down into bullshit.

*decent in comparison to Picard or Discovery, but still bottom tier of anything previous.

You might be right about SNW.

LD has had 3 seasons so far and is still great.

Prodigy technically has only had one season but it was broken up so it was really like two seasons, and it has been pretty good the whole way through.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Der Kyhe posted:

He also now keeps the portal door locked so that random people can no longer just waltz in.
"I was made to offer the past in this manner. I cannot change. ...Oh, wait, I can. Soz, duder."

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I hate the Enterprise intro so much but at this point I let it play half the time and sing it "I've got (I've got, I've got)"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

knox posted:

I hate the Enterprise intro so much but at this point I let it play half the time and sing it "I've got (I've got, I've got)"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

knox posted:

It took a while but I think I finally found a weird-rear end music choice that beats Faith of the Heart and it's in the end credits of the live-action Space Battleship Yamato of all things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczrZlE7dMw

I very nearly fell out of my chair when I realized what they were dropping on me

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I always forget that Timescape turns into an “aliens put their babies in the wrong place” episode no matter how many times I watch it. The imagery is so incredible but goddamn that ending is a waste.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are there any serious (as in not explicitly comedy or for kids) sci-fi/fantasy that is not terribly written with world ending stakes? The real issue is that everyone is too focused on plot twists and effects and no one cares about characters and stories. The setting is less important, it's about what you do with it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BonHair posted:

Are there any serious (as in not explicitly comedy or for kids) sci-fi/fantasy that is not terribly written with world ending stakes? The real issue is that everyone is too focused on plot twists and effects and no one cares about characters and stories. The setting is less important, it's about what you do with it.

The name of the place, is Babylon 5.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Delsaber posted:

It took a while but I think I finally found a weird-rear end music choice that beats Faith of the Heart and it's in the end credits of the live-action Space Battleship Yamato of all things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczrZlE7dMw

I very nearly fell out of my chair when I realized what they were dropping on me
Quite the interesting comment section on that video.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

knox posted:

I internally and sometimes externally sing the first few lyrics every time a cold open fades out on any TV show, but usually any Star Trek. It's an earworm, even if I hate it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i like coming up with alternate lyrics to faith of the heart

it's not a long chode
won't get from there to here
it's the wrong time
get that away from my ear

etc.

makes it more palatable lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I usually make the whole thing about how he can't wait any longer to fart

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Favorite line that I tend to belt out is "nothing's gonna bend or break meh!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I got faith of the fart

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Random Sunday thought: Leonard Rosenman's score for The Voyage Home is the most bubbly, whirlwind adventure fare that is unlike anything in Star Trek before it... and it totally works for the tone of The Voyage Home. It has become one of the scores I find the most memorable.

However, it would have been undoubtedly amazing to hear how James Horner would have iterated on his scores from Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock to complete the trilogy.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 23, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Penitent posted:

Random Sunday thought: Leonard Rosenman's score for The Voyage Home is the most bubbly, whirlwind adventure fare that is unlike anything in Star Trek before it... and it totally works for the tone of The Voyage Home. It has become one of the scores I find the most memorable.

However, it would have been undoubtedly amazing to hear how James Horner would have iterated on his scores from Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock to complete the trilogy.

He reiterated by doing the score for Aliens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And Rosenman reused IV in Robocop 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Knormal posted:

Quite the interesting comment section on that video.

The original animated series and the 2008 live action movie have a strong streak of nationalism. The series started with a historical retrospective on the history of the Yamato, including a paean to her final, suicidal mission. The live action movie... that one commentor is wrong, she didn't go out like a samurai, she went out like a kamikaze. The voiceover for her sacrifice was straight out of the Special Attack Corps' litany before a mission.

The Yamato 2199 remake loses that and makes it much more about all of Earth. They have a power shortage at launch, and all of Earth shunts their grids to help jumpstart the Yamato, making it a win for all of us. 2199 is a really good show. It has a well-developed set of characters on both sides of the conflict, and much more "human" interest going on, besides just the amazing space battles and mechanical design. In the sequels series, 2202, we get a big dose of the classic Yamato mysticism that really came out in the movies, and it works really well. Highly recommended.