Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Hi all, I have a question. This is for filing in 2024.

1) My wife and I are getting a divorce and plan to sell our house and split whatever profits we get from that. There are no children and no other property.

If the divorce is final by the end of this year, when we file next year, do we both file as Single, and then show whatever profit we spilt from selling the house as capital gains or something similar?

2) if the divorce is not final by Dec 31st but instead ends up being final in January, let’s say. In this example, we would still be filing as married, correct?

You mean your 2023 tax year filing, to be submitted in 2024? If so, you have the right of it. You can either file MFJ or MFS in scenario #2 as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ungratek posted:

You mean your 2023 tax year filing, to be submitted in 2024?

Correct, and thank you for the answer.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MrMojok posted:

Hi all, I have a question. This is for filing in 2024.

1) My wife and I are getting a divorce and plan to sell our house and split whatever profits we get from that. There are no children and no other property.

If the divorce is final by the end of this year, when we file next year, do we both file as Single, and then show whatever profit we spilt from selling the house as capital gains or something similar?

2) if the divorce is not final by Dec 31st but instead ends up being final in January, let’s say. In this example, we would still be filing as married, correct?

For question one if you were living in the house for 2 our of the last 5 years then you are entitled to an exclusion of gain up to $250K per person. And remember that your gain is calculated on what you sold the house for less what you bought it for (less commissions and other selling expenses that probably won't matter if you qualify for the exclusion). The cash you walk away from the table with does not have anything to do with the gain or loss.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

For question one if you were living in the house for 2 our of the last 5 years then you are entitled to an exclusion of gain up to $250K per person. And remember that your gain is calculated on what you sold the house for less what you bought it for (less commissions and other selling expenses that probably won't matter if you qualify for the exclusion). The cash you walk away from the table with does not have anything to do with the gain or loss.

Ah, thanks for that!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Anyone living outside the US ever been able to get through the ID.me verification process?

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Gabriel Grub posted:

Anyone living outside the US ever been able to get through the ID.me verification process?

I created an account back in 2021 when I was visiting home for a few weeks. I can't remember what the verification steps were (isn't it all virtual/online?) but it does let me use my foreign cell phone number for MFA.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm stuck on them needing an approved form of ID with my address on it.

I have a drivers license with my dad's address on it, so I might be "moving home" briefly.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So 2021 was the first year I've ever dealt with a kind of stock or ISO equivalent, and it appears I hosed up.

I used TurboTax and apparently I never included my 1099B (was trying to figure out how I would've forgotten that but in hindsight I think I probably received it after I filed and didn't know any better), but because I exercised and sold my ISOs on the same day, the money from the sale was included as income on my W2. I recently got a CP2000 saying I owed a ton of money since I'm assuming to the IRS it looks like I just didn't pay taxes on my ISO sale at all. I'd imagine that if I can send the 1099B and show somehow that the sale was included on my W2 that I won't owe as much (hopefully not get the underreporting penalty as well?) but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to go about that. I know I can send them the documents in the mail but I've heard it's possible that they won't be opened by the cutoff time. Is it at all possible to call and talk to someone there and explain the situation? Is this something I should hire a CPA for or should it be as simple as it seems?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

trip9 posted:

So 2021 was the first year I've ever dealt with a kind of stock or ISO equivalent, and it appears I hosed up.

I used TurboTax and apparently I never included my 1099B (was trying to figure out how I would've forgotten that but in hindsight I think I probably received it after I filed and didn't know any better), but because I exercised and sold my ISOs on the same day, the money from the sale was included as income on my W2. I recently got a CP2000 saying I owed a ton of money since I'm assuming to the IRS it looks like I just didn't pay taxes on my ISO sale at all. I'd imagine that if I can send the 1099B and show somehow that the sale was included on my W2 that I won't owe as much (hopefully not get the underreporting penalty as well?) but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to go about that. I know I can send them the documents in the mail but I've heard it's possible that they won't be opened by the cutoff time. Is it at all possible to call and talk to someone there and explain the situation? Is this something I should hire a CPA for or should it be as simple as it seems?

I am pretty sure TurboTax has a way to handle ISO options. Have you re-opened your 2021 file and checked there? Basically you're into an insane part of our tax code. The filing will literally have you manually adjusting the basis on your 1099-B from $StrikePrice to $ValueOnExercise, then only the difference between that and the $SalePrice is income on the 1099-B, likely $0 or very close to it. TurboTax (I believe) can do this for you. Either way, once you get it amended the new fees and penalties will be calculated, and if it is indeed all double counting income and the 1099-B is zeroed out, so are your bills. Take a breath, it's all going to work out.

Otherwise, hire someone to unfuck it.

Googling it, this random PDF came up and it's got a shockingly good example. http://www.ashmeadcpa.com/uploads/1/2/7/7/12773217/stock_options_-_same_day_sales.pdf

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Thank you, I did check my 2021 return and it looks like there was no 1099B included (most likely my fault). So is the best course of action for me to amend my 2021 form via TurboTax (and read up and make sure I'm manually adjusting whatever needs it), and then reply to the CP2000 with the amended return? When I amend my return does TurboTax trigger anything on their end? I'd like to avoid spinning off multiple threads of things that may need following up on if possible.

edit: that PDF fits my situation perfectly

trip9 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 11, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You don't need to file an amended return. However, if the information displayed in the CP2000 notice is correct, and you have additional income, credits or expenses to report, you may want to complete and submit a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and return it with a completed response form. If you choose to file an amended return, write "CP2000" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. To ensure the information is sent to the proper area for processing, send the information in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hopefully the right thread. i'm a complete tax idiot, so please explain how this works.

i just did the tax withholding calculator on the irs site. given my current income and current withholding settings, it said i would receive a refund of $7k. cool, but i'd rather have that $7 split up in my paychecks throughout the rest of the year, so i told it i want a $0 'refund'. it then told me i needed to withhold an extra amount by adding a number in line 4c. line 4c is where you put 'extra withholding'.

so i guess i'm confused here? if i'm projected to receive a $7k refund, but ideally neither want to owe nor receive a refund, doesn't that mean i should receive more cash per paycheck, thus meaning my employer should withhold less for taxes? why am i telling them to withhold more? wouldn't them taking more withholdings for taxes ultimately increase my refund next year?

am i simply misunderstanding what withholdings actually do?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

sullat posted:

You don't need to file an amended return. However, if the information displayed in the CP2000 notice is correct, and you have additional income, credits or expenses to report, you may want to complete and submit a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and return it with a completed response form. If you choose to file an amended return, write "CP2000" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. To ensure the information is sent to the proper area for processing, send the information in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice.

I went through the amendment process with TurboTax but just printed out the amended stuff and am going to fax it with my CP2000 response. Thanks for all your help.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

trip9 posted:

I went through the amendment process with TurboTax but just printed out the amended stuff and am going to fax it with my CP2000 response. Thanks for all your help.

:toot: did you wind up with any net liability?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

trip9 posted:

Good- the crucial thing wiith any corrective/audit notice of this sort from IRS is to send any amendments to the address on the notice. Sending an amended return to the usual amended return address is a killer- it has to be processed before the people handling your case can see it, effectively paralyzing the process until then.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

:toot: did you wind up with any net liability?

Nope! It zero'd out.

Discendo Vox posted:

Good- the crucial thing wiith any corrective/audit notice of this sort from IRS is to send any amendments to the address on the notice. Sending an amended return to the usual amended return address is a killer- it has to be processed before the people handling your case can see it, effectively paralyzing the process until then.

Yup, I made sure that TurboTax didn't send anything.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

At the end of last year I started a new job after not working for a while. I made less than $13k so I didn't file taxes for 2022. Today I remembered I had a job at the beginning of last year (I've had a lot of poo poo going on okay). The job didn't last and I kind of forgot about it. They did not send a W2. The amount I made last year likely pushes my income over the minimum amount to file so now what the gently caress do I do? Step 1, call the dipshits and get a W2. Step 2??

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Flora Finching posted:

At the end of last year I started a new job after not working for a while. I made less than $13k so I didn't file taxes for 2022. Today I remembered I had a job at the beginning of last year (I've had a lot of poo poo going on okay). The job didn't last and I kind of forgot about it. They did not send a W2. The amount I made last year likely pushes my income over the minimum amount to file so now what the gently caress do I do? Step 1, call the dipshits and get a W2. Step 2??

If you don't want to deal with them, trying getting a wage and income transcript from the IRS website (after May 30th) which should have the info you need to file a return.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So just as a follow up to my last few posts, I faxed my CP2000 and everything last Friday, do I just wait for a new letter? Can I call to confirm they received it? Faxes are scary because they just go out into the void and you hope it arrived and someone saw it. I'm having visions of not hearing anything back, assuming I did what I needed, and then just getting a collections letter with increased fines.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

trip9 posted:

So just as a follow up to my last few posts, I faxed my CP2000 and everything last Friday, do I just wait for a new letter? Can I call to confirm they received it? Faxes are scary because they just go out into the void and you hope it arrived and someone saw it. I'm having visions of not hearing anything back, assuming I did what I needed, and then just getting a collections letter with increased fines.

The next step is that you'll receive a letter acknowledging your submission and either a request for more time -or- a new CP2000 reflecting the adjusted amounts. If you receive something called a 'statutory deficiency notice' with no changes to the proposed amounts then your submission has been sucked into the endless void between here and Kansas City and you may need to call the number on the letter.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It's not my area, but personally I'd probably call to try and verify receipt if I was concerned. If it gets to a notice of deficiency, you're looking at tax court petition and audit recon territory, which is a bit less hospitable.

I don't even know if someone will be able to verify receipt yet or not, but I can't imagine it hurts to call.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I had to pay a CP23 ($29 plus 23 cents in interest haha), do they also send me a notice saying they received it/I'm in the clear? The payment went through last week already

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hi, couple questions as I started a new remote job which is based in another state (i'm in MN, job is in CA)

1) i just got my PTO payout from my previous job, but it was less than I expected, comparing to what i would received if i had worked those hours. is this because PTO is taxed differently than "regular" income?

2) any reason i might have to change withholdings for my new job? i'm getting paid quite a bit more (about 28%), but the increase for my first check was about 17% compared to my previous job. i assume this is just higher income = more time in higher tax brackets.

thanks!

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

trip9 posted:

Yeah, call the phone number specifically listed in the top right corner for the AUR department. They can usually verify receipt even if they haven't gotten around to looking at it in detail.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I had to pay a CP23 ($29 plus 23 cents in interest haha), do they also send me a notice saying they received it/I'm in the clear? The payment went through last week already
Unfortunately, a full paid notice won't be issued automatically. If the payment went through last week, give it another week (thanks to our dinosaur systems it can take up to two weeks for a processed payment to show in the system). If you're able to set up an account on IRS.GOV you can either look at the Balance Online tool or pull an account transcript for the year in question to verify the payment and that the balance was paid in full. If you're not able to get those options to work you can call the standard 1-800-829-1040 line to talk to an assistor who can verify that info.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

abelwingnut posted:

hopefully the right thread. i'm a complete tax idiot, so please explain how this works.

i just did the tax withholding calculator on the irs site. given my current income and current withholding settings, it said i would receive a refund of $7k. cool, but i'd rather have that $7 split up in my paychecks throughout the rest of the year, so i told it i want a $0 'refund'. it then told me i needed to withhold an extra amount by adding a number in line 4c. line 4c is where you put 'extra withholding'.

so i guess i'm confused here? if i'm projected to receive a $7k refund, but ideally neither want to owe nor receive a refund, doesn't that mean i should receive more cash per paycheck, thus meaning my employer should withhold less for taxes? why am i telling them to withhold more? wouldn't them taking more withholdings for taxes ultimately increase my refund next year?

am i simply misunderstanding what withholdings actually do?

I just checked the withholding calculator with some random numbers and I've bolded the key points:

quote:

To get your desired refund amount, you will need $159 withheld from each paycheck, $812 less than your current tax withholding.

Submitting a new Form W-4 resets your withholding to standard withholding if Lines 3 through 4c are blank or zero. Your standard withholding is $142 per paycheck based on your filing status and income. The recommendation for adjusting your withholding to get a refund of $10,350 will be based on the standard withholding amount, not your current withholding.

So right now, your paychecks are taking out way more than normal, so resetting back to only normal withholding would make you owe, thus the need to add a little extra.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the IRA BEV Tax Credit claimable if you MFS? Is it reduced at all for MFS filers?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Does anyone have a spreadsheet for doing W4 calculations? I'm trying to optimize withholding between several different jobs and none of the online tools are granular enough. Googling hasn't turned one up either.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Itemized deductions vs standard deduction question:

Do people actually keep an entire year of receipts, and then scan them all in and present them to the IRS for sales tax deduction when they file each year? That seems like an insane amount of work. Even living in a state with high sales tax is it worth it for a normal non-rich person to hoard receipts or do most people just take the "the IRS thinks you probably spent this amount on sales tax based on your income" amount?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

palindrome posted:

Itemized deductions vs standard deduction question:

Do people actually keep an entire year of receipts, and then scan them all in and present them to the IRS for sales tax deduction when they file each year? That seems like an insane amount of work. Even living in a state with high sales tax is it worth it for a normal non-rich person to hoard receipts or do most people just take the "the IRS thinks you probably spent this amount on sales tax based on your income" amount?

My understanding is only if you're buying insanely expensive big ticket items like cars or gut renovating a home. For example, for here in NYC, to break even against the $10,000 SALT cap, you'd have to spend ~$117,000 on fully taxable items in one year, and you'd still need even more deductions to get over the standard deduction threshold. I guess if you already had a bunch of other itemized deductions and weren't gonna go with the standard anyway you could toss on the sales tax for big ticket items.

But also, you can only deduct sales tax or state income tax, not both, and most people who are in a financial situation where they'd be spending $100,000+ a year are already gonna hit that $10,000 state income tax limit unless you're buying lambos and live in Florida.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Note that the $10k limit also includes property taxes, so it’s not likely you’d even need sales tax in no income tax states

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m in Texas, so no state income tax, so I just use the IRS sales tax calculator when deciding on itemizing or not.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/use-the-sales-tax-deduction-calculator

Fwiw I haven’t itemized since the standard deduction went up.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, people who deduct sales tax are usually not keeping receipts of all their purchases throughout the year. The IRS provides a formula you can use to estimate your sales tax based on your household income and local tax rates. If this comes out to more than your state and local income tax (maybe because you live in a state without income tax), then you deduct the estimated sales tax.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
edit: nvm

ROJO fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 9, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Oh, I didn't realize that State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction was capped at $10,000 now. Thanks for the info and explanation.

So, if someone paid $5,000 in property taxes, and $9,000 in sales tax, they can still only deduct $10,000 if I understand correctly. Therefore if you spend $200k gutting a house and pay $15,000 sales tax, you might as well not keep receipts and just use the calculator because you're easily hitting the $10k SALT deduction limit.
Same with property taxes. If you pay $10k annually in property taxes, it's pointless to even think about tracking your sales tax because you've already hit the $10k SALT limit.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks, Donald.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

palindrome posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction was capped at $10,000 now. Thanks for the info and explanation.

So, if someone paid $5,000 in property taxes, and $9,000 in sales tax, they can still only deduct $10,000 if I understand correctly. Therefore if you spend $200k gutting a house and pay $15,000 sales tax, you might as well not keep receipts and just use the calculator because you're easily hitting the $10k SALT deduction limit.
Same with property taxes. If you pay $10k annually in property taxes, it's pointless to even think about tracking your sales tax because you've already hit the $10k SALT limit.

The state might allow for higher SALT deductions depending on the state, but not the federal government.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Covok posted:

The state might allow for higher SALT deductions depending on the state, but not the federal government.

Generally in my experience (fair warning, I don't work with EVERY state though), they don't let you take SALT for state income tax but you can still claim property tax and (sometimes at least) sales taxes. Also, several states with itemized deductions require you only claim itemized deduction for state if you did it for federal, which is a much smaller group of people these days, so double-check the instructions to be sure whether you can do it or not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MadDogMike posted:

Generally in my experience (fair warning, I don't work with EVERY state though), they don't let you take SALT for state income tax but you can still claim property tax and (sometimes at least) sales taxes. Also, several states with itemized deductions require you only claim itemized deduction for state if you did it for federal, which is a much smaller group of people these days, so double-check the instructions to be sure whether you can do it or not.

I should have been more clearly that it's almost always just property taxes and such and not State and Local Income Tax. It all depends on if your state decoupled from the federal government or not in 2018.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

More likely Mitch McConnell's idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but I have a question about this tax credit:
https://www.energy.gov/policy/articles/making-our-homes-more-efficient-clean-energy-tax-credits-consumers

I need a new heat pump, and apparently some of the options I'm looking at would qualify for the $2,000 nonrefundable tax credit. I've been looking around online to figure out how that works, but I'm still pretty confused. I definitely pay more than $2,000 in federal income tax each year, but that's paid through paycheck withholding so in April I usually get a small refund. What I'm wondering is:

- Since I ultimately don't owe at the end of the tax year, does that mean I wouldn't be able to apply the nonrefundable tax credit?
- If I could take/benefit from the credit, would I still be able to take the standard deduction?

Thanks for any insight you can provide, I appreciate it!

edit: thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 16, 2023