Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright I have a question for a diesel processing setup. I want to see if I can make it using only one MV Electrolyzer to help with hydrogen recycling. Here's my planned setup (ignore the LV Distillery on the Heavy Fuel line, I haven't made the MV one I need just yet).

The MV Electrolyzer in the center is there to recycle the Hydrogen Sulfide byproduct from both the light fuel and heavy fuel refinements using this recipe. Here's where my question comes in. Is there any way to equally split an output in two different directions? Round Robin pipes from buildcraft sound like they'd work but I can't make them yet. I did see that there's a GT++ Round Robinator block that sounds like it might be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure. I'm planning to use a Robot Arm (if I understand how they work correctly) to grab the sulfur byproduct from the recipe so that it's just the hydrogen cells being moved around.

I should be able to get this to work with two MV Electrolyzers, one dedicated to each fuel processing line. I was just hoping I could save resources. Although, it may be better to make two in the end because the amounts of light and heavy fuel needed for diesel are not equal, so I might end up with too much hydrogen being split back to the Heavy processing line and not enough to the Light line. I dunno, just looking for some advice.

Actually this is also as good a time as any to ask if there's an LV/MV tier equivalent to the Buildcraft Diamond pipe that'll specify what items are allowed to travel down specific stretches of item pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Alright I have a question for a diesel processing setup. I want to see if I can make it using only one MV Electrolyzer to help with hydrogen recycling. Here's my planned setup (ignore the LV Distillery on the Heavy Fuel line, I haven't made the MV one I need just yet).

The MV Electrolyzer in the center is there to recycle the Hydrogen Sulfide byproduct from both the light fuel and heavy fuel refinements using this recipe. Here's where my question comes in. Is there any way to equally split an output in two different directions? Round Robin pipes from buildcraft sound like they'd work but I can't make them yet. I did see that there's a GT++ Round Robinator block that sounds like it might be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure. I'm planning to use a Robot Arm (if I understand how they work correctly) to grab the sulfur byproduct from the recipe so that it's just the hydrogen cells being moved around.

I should be able to get this to work with two MV Electrolyzers, one dedicated to each fuel processing line. I was just hoping I could save resources. Although, it may be better to make two in the end because the amounts of light and heavy fuel needed for diesel are not equal, so I might end up with too much hydrogen being split back to the Heavy processing line and not enough to the Light line. I dunno, just looking for some advice.

Actually this is also as good a time as any to ask if there's an LV/MV tier equivalent to the Buildcraft Diamond pipe that'll specify what items are allowed to travel down specific stretches of item pipe.

For distributing items, use the GT distributor block. It lets you split output between all sides using custom ratios.

In terms of diamond-pipe-a-like functionality, it's important to remember that GT item pipes don't actually physically transport items. They form a network and items teleport to the nearest valid inventory, until they can't and the entire thing clogs. You can influence this by using filter blocks (and type filter blocks for things like "all hot ingots" or "all crushed ore",) as well as with restrictive item pipes that act like they're 100,000 blocks long for the purposes of routing.

These filter/distributor blocks have a voltage, but they don't need to be explicitly powered to move items -- the voltage rating is for an optional power pass feature that you can use to save sides on a machine. Power the filter and it'll transmit that power towards the output face. It's not very useful compared to using ender IO conduits for everything (these unlock in MV.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, I'll try and see if the distributor will work for what I need. If nothing else, I didn't realize they or the filter blocks existed so thanks.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

FPzero posted:

g.p. has good advice as always, but my general (unasked for) advice here is to not try to get too cute with self-contained setups like that. you'll actually want a ton of sulfuric acid down the line, and that hydrogen sulfide can be processed into diluted sulfuric, which itself has a use in aqua regia. basically tons of components/ingredients end up being interconnected, so you'll be happier later if you build robust systems that you can tap into. in this specific instance i guarantee you'll be thankful you banked a buttload of sulfuric rather than converting it to sulfur, which you'll amass tons of from mining anyway, and which mostly gets used to create sulfuric acid anyway. also you should instead use one of those electrolyzers to passively produce oxygen and hydrogen from water. pretty soon you'll have numerous processes that want each of those fluids (ebf, arc furnace, oil, plastics), and it sucks to have to build a local on-demand system every time.

my general solution for dealing with cells and fluids back in LV/MV was to try to pass filled cells directly to a tank, and have a conveyor on the tank to push the cell back to the machine and move the fluid with pipes. more than one item output gets a little more annoying, but there's filter blocks you could potentially use. to deal with hydrogen sulfide from oil byproducts all you need are the tanks and conveyors, though. honestly this stuff gets WAY WAY easier once you get access to the enderio item and (ender) fluid conduits. if they seem at all feasible i highly recommend beelining. you only need one or two for each setup and they mostly eliminate the need for conveyors and pumps.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hooplah posted:

g.p. has good advice as always, but my general (unasked for) advice here is to not try to get too cute with self-contained setups like that. you'll actually want a ton of sulfuric acid down the line, and that hydrogen sulfide can be processed into diluted sulfuric, which itself has a use in aqua regia. basically tons of components/ingredients end up being interconnected, so you'll be happier later if you build robust systems that you can tap into. in this specific instance i guarantee you'll be thankful you banked a buttload of sulfuric rather than converting it to sulfur, which you'll amass tons of from mining anyway, and which mostly gets used to create sulfuric acid anyway. also you should instead use one of those electrolyzers to passively produce oxygen and hydrogen from water. pretty soon you'll have numerous processes that want each of those fluids (ebf, arc furnace, oil, plastics), and it sucks to have to build a local on-demand system every time.

my general solution for dealing with cells and fluids back in LV/MV was to try to pass filled cells directly to a tank, and have a conveyor on the tank to push the cell back to the machine and move the fluid with pipes. more than one item output gets a little more annoying, but there's filter blocks you could potentially use. to deal with hydrogen sulfide from oil byproducts all you need are the tanks and conveyors, though. honestly this stuff gets WAY WAY easier once you get access to the enderio item and (ender) fluid conduits. if they seem at all feasible i highly recommend beelining. you only need one or two for each setup and they mostly eliminate the need for conveyors and pumps.

This all sounds like useful advice for sure. I just haven't really delved into the spaghetti network of piping needed to handle lots of distinct fluids in either celled or fluid forms, despite having a fair few iron/steel multiblock tanks hanging around for things. I know the pack's already talking about needing lots of sulfuric acid and chlorine in the future. Basically I'm trying to figure out how I want to sustainably power my MV machine clusters at the moment and trying to forge ahead to diesel sounded appealing since I was already producing the light oil and can now make heavy oil efficiently. I can try adding some robustness as I go because yeah it would be a waste of hydrogen sulfide to do it this way, which I wasn't pleased about since I really don't need more sulfur right this second. It just seemed like a simple way to get diesel started and then expand on it later.

At least I made my EBF slightly more efficient during all of this! Now I can leave it on for quite long periods of time.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm not sure about that. It might need to be put into the nether to do this.

However, rather than do that, I recommend using null catalyst and salis mundus for making new nether stars. Automating balanced shards with the thaumotorium isn't too hard. Plus, once you unlock T4 planets, you can go to Io and dig up salis mundus out of the ground in the form of infused gold.

If you want to automate balanced shards before Io, use the following recipe:

Essentia sources:
2 aer crystal powder
2 ignis crystal powder
4 chiseled stone (make with a rock breaker and a precision laser engraver)

Recipe finishers:
2 aqua shards
1 iron ingot (optional; use to empty the praecantatio out of a beginner cauldron if you aren't using the Thaumotorium.)

The aer/ignis/aqua can be in any combination as long as two are powder and one is a shard.

You can actually automate salis mundus duplication (thaumic bases research) instead of balanced shards with renewable materials and make it totally passive. Just use void jars and labelled alembics to dump all the excess aspects.

Aer/Aqua - sugar cane
Ignis - charcoal
Terra/Perditio/Praecantatio - chiseled sandstone (forge hammer cobble into gravel and again into sand, compress to sandstone, laser engrave to chiseled)
Ordo (and more Terra)- Chiseled Stone Bricks

Moss stone also works for praecantatio but the moistener is annoying and not fast, nether wart works, too and perditio is easy to solve with stone dust.

FPzero posted:

So I just used enderIO item conduits, an intermediate drawer, and two full stacks of hydrogen cells to load each chemical reactor. Light or heavy oil uses however many cells for desulfurization, returns the HS to the MV electrolyzer, the H cells go to the drawer and the conduits extract them to whichever chemical reactor needs them because it can only fit however many back into the machine. Stupid and inelegant but it works because I've got a ton of Hydrogen since I'm recycling the glycerol from bio-diesel.

(should have turned off waypoint visibility for the screenshot but oh well!)
You could also just get hydrogen from another source and save the HS for making sulfuric acid or something. It's not entirely crazy to run an LV electrolyzer to make the hydrogen, it's only about 3.5% the total energy of the diesel as a tax.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You can actually automate salis mundus duplication (thaumic bases research) instead of balanced shards with renewable materials and make it totally passive. Just use void jars and labelled alembics to dump all the excess aspects.

Aer/Aqua - sugar cane
Ignis - charcoal
Terra/Perditio/Praecantatio - chiseled sandstone (forge hammer cobble into gravel and again into sand, compress to sandstone, laser engrave to chiseled)
Ordo (and more Terra)- Chiseled Stone Bricks

Moss stone also works for praecantatio but the moistener is annoying and not fast, nether wart works, too and perditio is easy to solve with stone dust.

So I just used enderIO item conduits, an intermediate drawer, and two full stacks of hydrogen cells to load each chemical reactor. Light or heavy oil uses however many cells for desulfurization, returns the HS to the MV electrolyzer, the H cells go to the drawer and the conduits extract them to whichever chemical reactor needs them because it can only fit however many back into the machine. Stupid and inelegant but it works because I've got a ton of Hydrogen since I'm recycling the glycerol from bio-diesel.

(should have turned off waypoint visibility for the screenshot but oh well!)
You could also just get hydrogen from another source and save the HS for making sulfuric acid or something. It's not entirely crazy to run an LV electrolyzer to make the hydrogen, it's only about 3.5% the total energy of the diesel as a tax.

What's that item in your first slot?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

What's that item in your first slot?

electric wrench

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

im getting a little ahead of myself but I made a Twilight Forest portal last night despite not being anywhere near MV yet (I desperately want to get into Thaumcraft) and it's the first time I've ever seen the dimension. I'm playing on Peaceful still so I'm sure I should it's a very different experience normally, but it's so goddamn wonderful. My portal is right next to a Wizard Tower, im only a little ways away from a big open arena that has a Naga spawner (I know that's a boss), and I've found a Biome that makes me hungry/sick, a mangrove biome with tons of fire, an ice biome that causes slowness iii, a dark wood forest that causes blindness, yet all I can think about is how wonderful it would be to set up a base underneath the canopy trees, surrounded by the cicadas and fireflies. It makes me think about all the hiking trips my family used to take in Minnesota where the trees were just far apart to walk between but close enough together to blot out the sky. :allears:

It's a stark contrast from the snowy, flat plains that my overworld next to my village has (that I currently live in, in the Midwest)

Tonight im hoping to find some the rest of the ores I need to make a thaumometer so I can try and get into the mod a little bit

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You're absolutely intended to go into the Twilight Forest during LV because you need stuff from there for various things like batteries and aluminum smelting. Find a Cryolite vein because that contains the lead and cryolite you'll want for approaching MV.

Also on Easy difficulty the forest is still quite nice. The ambient light level is enough that monsters don't endlessly spawn on the surface so you could absolutely build a portion of your base in it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I am so stoked for the new Vault Hunters update. I haven't gotten to play much, but the changes to gear to allow more variety and massively simplified enchanting should be really nice. Also probably going to up the vault loot, since they're adding that as an option and my crew doesn't get to play all that much lately.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I am so stoked for the new Vault Hunters update. I haven't gotten to play much, but the changes to gear to allow more variety and massively simplified enchanting should be really nice. Also probably going to up the vault loot, since they're adding that as an option and my crew doesn't get to play all that much lately.

yeah there's a LOT of fun changes coming up and lots of options to tailor it to how you want to play

Edit: rough patch notes are here: https://pastebin.com/uWyRz7Fr

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Biggest change, if it sticks, is this one imo

quote:

Lastly, we are testing out having all mob spawners be ambush/fizzle spawners, with the exception of Dungeons and Challenge rooms.

I hope they at least expose the config variable if they don't want to keep it the default

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

You're absolutely intended to go into the Twilight Forest during LV because you need stuff from there for various things like batteries and aluminum smelting. Find a Cryolite vein because that contains the lead and cryolite you'll want for approaching MV.

Also on Easy difficulty the forest is still quite nice. The ambient light level is enough that monsters don't endlessly spawn on the surface so you could absolutely build a portion of your base in it.

I did in fact find a cryolite vein last night! Also a terra/air vein, a sapphire vein, and an iron vein. I haven't dug out many ores yet because I was just exploring, but I've got a couple mini ravines that run directly into ore chunks so it has been pretty easy to find. I'm looking forward to digging through some of them tonight to stockpile on some resources tonight and organize them a bit more into drawers or Barrels. They are stupid cheap to make and upgrade.

And whoever sang the praises of the assembler vacuum tubes, thank you. I made a stack of LV circuits last night thanks to the easier recipes going into them. I think I'm about to jump ahead in LV by a fair chunk this weekend.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

AceClown posted:

yeah there's a LOT of fun changes coming up and lots of options to tailor it to how you want to play

Edit: rough patch notes are here: https://pastebin.com/uWyRz7Fr

Hopefully the quest system explains the progression better because I had a hard time going in with no experience with the pack. Felt like I was just doing the same vault runs over and over and not progressing with loot/gear in any meaningful way. I had piles of loot and gear and no idea what to do with all of it. Seemed like I was stuck needing gems to make some more advanced stations but they were super rare and even when found didn’t always give you any.

I wonder if they looked at skyblock mode at all, because I had a lot of frustration there in finding materials to make crystals. Like kelp, which I never found. And getting passive animals was too much grind for something that is simple in not skyblock. I guess don’t play skyblock mode next time.

Fizzle spawners should be good, it was not fun to barely have time to loot chests or break the spawner between waves.

I’ll give update 9 a shot I guess.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

bawk posted:

And whoever sang the praises of the assembler vacuum tubes, thank you. I made a stack of LV circuits last night thanks to the easier recipes going into them. I think I'm about to jump ahead in LV by a fair chunk this weekend.

If you're lucky enough to find at least two MV circuits while out adventuring you can actually skip ahead slightly and craft the LV Circuit Assembler which will make circuit crafting even cheaper! Basically you need the circuits from the tier above you to craft the ones in your current tier which is why you can't make it now. 100% I recommend that you use your first MV circuits to make this machine even before making the MV Electrolyzer or anything else high priority in that tier. You will save so many materials this way and sound like you'd enjoy the challenge of automating it. Plus you can make MV circuits in it for cheaper than the hand-crafting recipes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there a more elegant solution to hiding the hopper and chest or does that come in a later tier and I have to deal with the ugly? This is my mock up. I hid the pipes and back of the machine with covers but I can't do it with the hopper or chest. My goal would be to have the machine flush with the wall and the other side be the outer wall panel. I know I could move the hopper behind it and use a framed drawer with the block as it's template showing one block back and up but then my outer wall is 2 levels deep. That also doesn't solve the output solution. Basically if i could somehow hide what let's the items go from machine to chest/drawer I'd be fine with using drawers.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You could try using some forge microblocks to make panels if you don't mind that the wall would be 1/8 or 1/16 of a block wider than the blocks around it. Otherwise you could try an item pipe with a conveyor cover to pull from the chest, and then you can maybe attach a wooden plank cover to the pipe to hide it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

If you're lucky enough to find at least two MV circuits while out adventuring you can actually skip ahead slightly and craft the LV Circuit Assembler which will make circuit crafting even cheaper! Basically you need the circuits from the tier above you to craft the ones in your current tier which is why you can't make it now. 100% I recommend that you use your first MV circuits to make this machine even before making the MV Electrolyzer or anything else high priority in that tier. You will save so many materials this way and sound like you'd enjoy the challenge of automating it. Plus you can make MV circuits in it for cheaper than the hand-crafting recipes.

This sounds great! I'm reaching a point where my fluidizer is always working on something to output into tanks that I wheel around on a dolly so I can switch between glue, tin, and redstone alloy for different materials, so having a dedicated machine for just circuits will help with the fluid musical chairs for sure.

I'm one step away from converting all my excess charcoal into charcoal blocks so I can cram it into my BBFs, i just need 18 conveyors and a way to wire up everything to a compressor. I was originally putting item pipes on hoppers, but quickly realized that doesnt work because the item pipes pull 1 stack every X seconds, but each item from a hopper counts as a single transaction/packet, so its actually 1 item every X seconds instead.

I was thinking about it earlier and might have an idea on how to cheat the system slightly on steel automation despite the BBFs being hostile to it. I won't spend a LOT of time on it, but I think I have the materials. :thunk:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Is there a more elegant solution to hiding the hopper and chest or does that come in a later tier and I have to deal with the ugly? This is my mock up. I hid the pipes and back of the machine with covers but I can't do it with the hopper or chest. My goal would be to have the machine flush with the wall and the other side be the outer wall panel. I know I could move the hopper behind it and use a framed drawer with the block as it's template showing one block back and up but then my outer wall is 2 levels deep. That also doesn't solve the output solution. Basically if i could somehow hide what let's the items go from machine to chest/drawer I'd be fine with using drawers.

FPzero posted:

You could try using some forge microblocks to make panels if you don't mind that the wall would be 1/8 or 1/16 of a block wider than the blocks around it. Otherwise you could try an item pipe with a conveyor cover to pull from the chest, and then you can maybe attach a wooden plank cover to the pipe to hide it?

Yeah the best way is definitely item pipe-container-item pipe with plastic on it, they look much cleaner and pass things through much faster

E: goddammit quote is not edit but it's too late now

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

Yeah the best way is definitely item pipe-container-item pipe with plastic on it, they look much cleaner and pass things through much faster

E: goddammit quote is not edit but it's too late now

Cool thank you. And what is this double chest you have spoke of?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Cool thank you. And what is this double chest you have spoke of?

Plates* is what I meant, not plastic, and I usually have the output just going into a two-chest wide chest until I upgrade them to iron chests unless a machine is going to be used for one thing and one thing only, like my wire setup is currently rocking through a bunch of copper into copper wire while I'm AFKing during the day so I slapped a barrel down

E: double chests should also only be placed below, not above, since a double chest is just two chests sharing an inventory you obviously don't want to slam a bunch of slimeballs into your bending machine when they should be going into your extractor instead. I haven't found a good way to make chests always be separate yet. Shift clicking doesn't keep two chests from forming a double chest, and it's annoying that the only way I can see to place double chests right side by side appears to be using a piston with a button to push them into place

bawk fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 21, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bawk posted:

I haven't found a good way to make chests always be separate yet.

Make a Slightly Larger Chest. They don't form double chests at all, even when next to another S.L.C., and as a bonus, you can open them with a full block on top.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make a Slightly Larger Chest. They don't form double chests at all, even when next to another S.L.C., and as a bonus, you can open them with a full block on top.

This thread rules, you rule

This is exactly what I was looking for because I converted all of my regular chests to "Old Chests" or whatever they were called in Chroma Sky 2, specifically for this reason. They look to be exactly the same as the Old Chests from that pack

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

VegasGoat posted:

Hopefully the quest system explains the progression better because I had a hard time going in with no experience with the pack. Felt like I was just doing the same vault runs over and over and not progressing with loot/gear in any meaningful way. I had piles of loot and gear and no idea what to do with all of it. Seemed like I was stuck needing gems to make some more advanced stations but they were super rare and even when found didn’t always give you any.

I wonder if they looked at skyblock mode at all, because I had a lot of frustration there in finding materials to make crystals. Like kelp, which I never found. And getting passive animals was too much grind for something that is simple in not skyblock. I guess don’t play skyblock mode next time.

Fizzle spawners should be good, it was not fun to barely have time to loot chests or break the spawner between waves.

I’ll give update 9 a shot I guess.

Everything being a fizzle will be a HUGE positive change. It was basically impossible to kill off all the mobs that spawned and break a spawner before the next wave popped up. As for the skyblock mode it's not REALLY a viable way to play unless you like crawling through vaults that don't otherwise reward you xp. I just cheat in whatever the altar asks for so I can get back to zooming along killing mobs and scooping loot.

bawk posted:

I did in fact find a cryolite vein last night! Also a terra/air vein, a sapphire vein, and an iron vein. I haven't dug out many ores yet because I was just exploring, but I've got a couple mini ravines that run directly into ore chunks so it has been pretty easy to find. I'm looking forward to digging through some of them tonight to stockpile on some resources tonight and organize them a bit more into drawers or Barrels. They are stupid cheap to make and upgrade.

Hope you're using red alloy instead of redstone for your vacuum tubes, you get twice as many tubes! (4x if you use redstone alloy but that takes the EBF and an MV fluid extractor). If you're still using steam power use all your newfound silver and make piles and piles of HP Solar boilers.

This stupid monstrosity puts out enough steam for 4 LV steam turbines to run my MV EBF nonstop (until they start to calcify but that takes hours). I mean I'm a dumb idiot and hooked my MV machines into the same steam tank but everything's getting moved to the skybase eventually. Mostly I'm just dropping stuff anywhere until Moon o'clock when I can get titanium for Applied Energistics. Which I have basically never used before except a terminal hooked up to a drive so I'm excited to learn all the powerful stuff it can do.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i love this setup so much. proper lv passive power gaming

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Everything being a fizzle will be a HUGE positive change. It was basically impossible to kill off all the mobs that spawned and break a spawner before the next wave popped up. As for the skyblock mode it's not REALLY a viable way to play unless you like crawling through vaults that don't otherwise reward you xp. I just cheat in whatever the altar asks for so I can get back to zooming along killing mobs and scooping loot.

Yeah I ended up cheating stuff in after I got frustrated. I feel like it could be fun to bootstrap a bunch of farms with material from raw vaults to produce ingredients for crystals but they really need to limit ingredients to things that can actually be farmed, or provide ways to farm things that aren’t. At least they’ll have the infinite crystal option now instead.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

loving ground gardens

cannot find one for love nor money and i'm running out of farmer coins. i jjust want onions

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

loving ground gardens

cannot find one for love nor money and i'm running out of farmer coins. i jjust want onions

I'll trade you one of the dozen I have for a leafy garden that'll get me lettuce :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

loving ground gardens

If you can survive being attacked by the hostile wolves in snowy areas, look there. They spawn the most in cold, forested biomes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol i've got tons of leafy gardens, you're on

and interesting to know re: the cold places, i've poked my head in but going off NEI i have largely been looking on mesas and trying to find a savannah. i shall investigate the icy wastes

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
If I remember correctly you can pick up those ground garden things and put them back down and they'll spread from the planted garden for a few blocks out.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well as long as we're talking about gardens, where are water gardens most commonly found? That's the only one I still need.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Well as long as we're talking about gardens, where are water gardens most commonly found? That's the only one I still need.

Swamps, mostly. Look on the surface of the water for a light green MS Paint spraycan-looking thing. You can also craft them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

If I remember correctly you can pick up those ground garden things and put them back down and they'll spread from the planted garden for a few blocks out.

This is correct. I've gotten 8 of the berry one and left some behind and now I have a bunch all sprouting up randomly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Swamps, mostly. Look on the surface of the water for a light green MS Paint spraycan-looking thing. You can also craft them.

Thanks, I missed the crafting recipe.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
What's a good starting location for GTNH?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Black Pants posted:

What's a good starting location for GTNH?

Like, if you mean where to start a base then somewhere that's mostly flat and 60%+ humidity will give you the easiest start. Being decently close to a village and oil spout is also good, as well as a river. You can start wherever though and water can be pumped in early LV to avoid humidity needs.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I finally have a thaumometer

I spent over an hour just looking at stuff

I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow :okpos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey cool I finally got a free oracle server instance, got ATM8 on it and I'm currently setting it up. It's working so far, but I have no idea how it'll respond to multiple users yet.