Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

AndyElusive posted:

Man, CarlCX. Your breakdowns are the best and I worry there will come a day when this gay comedy forum shutters and we'll never see your card analysis ever again.

Subscribe to their substack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there still a kickboxing thread? I got hella high and went down a rabbithole watching old Badr Hari K1 fights and it was loving amaaaazing. I'd forgotten how cool 2000s era k1 was :allears:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1649144962704089089?s=20

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is there still a kickboxing thread? I got hella high and went down a rabbithole watching old Badr Hari K1 fights and it was loving amaaaazing. I'd forgotten how cool 2000s era k1 was :allears:

there is, but i think you can just post stuff here.

2000s kickboxing was so rad. when i'm feeling down i'll watch mark hunt knock lebanner the gently caress out and listen to one of the loudest crowd pops i've ever heard.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dana just announced bunch of stuff
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1649211845394178048?s=20
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1649212883144679426?s=20

Surprised Burns took that fight on such short notice after just going 3 rounds a little while ago. Though I do feel better it's not Belal vs Shavkat

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How did Dana manage not to gently caress this up lol

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

COPE 27 posted:

How did Dana manage not to gently caress this up lol

Give it time...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dana already hosed it up, Belal should be fighting for a belt instead of a high risk fight with Gilbert Burns.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I just finished the first episode of "Catching Lightning" the showtime and its wonderful. Especially if you are an old school UFC fan, there are Chuck Lidell/Tito Ortiz/Pat Miletich/Lee Murray street fight stories.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe Belal Muhammad should try being a MAGA scum loser who got his teeth knocked out by Jorge Masvidal if he wants a title shot instead of being a good fighter, cos that's not going to get him to the top.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I just finished the first episode of "Catching Lightning" the showtime and its wonderful. Especially if you are an old school UFC fan, there are Chuck Lidell/Tito Ortiz/Pat Miletich/Lee Murray street fight stories.

I finished the whole series last night. Stayed up late cause I couldn't not finish it in one setting.
What a great doc and fascinating story.
I honestly never heard of Lee Murray prior to this so it was all new to me.
Just, what a waste of a life for the guy. Seems like he might be one of the biggest 'what ifs' in mma history (especially if he would have beaten SIlva).

Never knew that Chuck Lidell/Tito Ortiz/Pat Miletich/Lee Murray street fight and I 100% believe their story over Tito's lmao

Also, GDT for the numerous cards this week, with the first starting in a few minutes
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030363

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 21, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

AndyElusive posted:

Man, CarlCX. Your breakdowns are the best and I worry there will come a day when this gay comedy forum shutters and we'll never see your card analysis ever again.

reading his card writeups while doing my tap, and trying to figure out which of his picks are just spite is a friday tradition

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I will never allow my terrible analysis to die, and as others said, though I barely link it because I hate making things easy, even if Jeffrey gets tired of all of this the Substack will go on, so you can always get 'em e-mailed.

BrotherJayne posted:

reading his card writeups while doing my tap, and trying to figure out which of his picks are just spite is a friday tradition

Week by week, more and more, the answer is slowly becoming "all of them"

Also, hope is dead:
https://twitter.com/bellatorpr/status/1649448505407307778

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
1. since all the legacy verified accounts have been de-checked, i wasnt sure how real that was when i first saw it

2. knowing 0 further information, i choose to blame ray borg

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

it was in fact weight management issues for Borg, according to Bellator

Also I almost felt bad being that mean to Priscila Cachoeira even though she kind of deserves it, and she has helped me feel better by missing weight by 5 pounds.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Friday Fights Report:

THONGPOON
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1649444537050300418
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1649468588540022787

As usual, a good show. Find out more here:
https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-13-2022-04-21

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my thong poon chest tattoo gets me a lot of disgusted looks at the beach. this guy is obviously much cooler than me

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
What a way to advertise a fighter

https://youtu.be/x3mUzdwR1NQ

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/JohnMorgan_MMA/status/1649507881673424896?t=

Don't think I've ever seen this mean-spirited a press statement before, I wonder how bad this really was for them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

beep by grandpa posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnMorgan_MMA/status/1649507881673424896?t=

Don't think I've ever seen this mean-spirited a press statement before, I wonder how bad this really was for them

If I'm reading this right, he wasn't going to make 135 either...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

For those keeping score at home, that's Borg's fifth weight miss in a little over six years

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Borg and another fighter that missed weight were cut by Bellator

https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1649520118198616068

Both of them were so far from making weight that they didn't bother coming in, makes sense to shitcan them

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'd suggest Ray Borg start a gofundme for having tremendously poo poo luck in his career but he'd probably get electrocuted plugging in his laptop to start it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't know his whole story but I've been hearing ray borg having poo poo luck for what feels like 7yrs now- how much of that was really bad luck (I know he took some glass in the face via the conor hand truck incident) and him loving himself over? Not meant to sound argumentative, id just love to hear from someone very familiar with his career cuz god drat like I said I've never seen a press statement so mean spirited to a former client.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I'd suggest Ray Borg start a gofundme for having tremendously poo poo luck in his career but he'd probably get electrocuted plugging in his laptop to start it.

i dont think 'refusing to do what you need to do to cut weight' counts as poo poo luck

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

borg is saying he's gonna retire now. works for me! if missing weight were a contest, he'd be the GOAT

e: source

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1649541021653667841?t=-IFupABv3dHFEEsYFVgtow&s=19

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hello I heard someone was asking about me here, just droppin by to say hey. I have a 4 year old son now and dont watch many fights at all. Jon Jones is still a bad person and Im amazed to see him at Heavyweight now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lots of his fight cancellations were not his fault but many were. Like, he had far more "not his fault" cancellations than most fighters have total cancellations for all reasons in their whole UFC careers. And many of the ones that were his fault were the kind where you can't blame him for withdrawal, like his kid's health

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hello I heard someone was asking about me here, just droppin by to say hey. I have a 4 year old son now and dont watch many fights at all. Jon Jones is still a bad person and Im amazed to see him at Heavyweight now.

Hi! Thanks for dropping by!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Holy poo poo TKZ fought for the title last year?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

good to see you man. raise the boy right so he doesn't grow up to be a jon jones or a jon jjones fan.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

don't watch any fight he's had since you dropped off. it's really depressing. ESPECIALLY that title fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Marching Powder posted:

don't watch any fight he's had since you dropped off. it's really depressing. ESPECIALLY that title fight.

It's weird how the Volk fight and the Yair fight (well, the end of it) are so memorable that we (myself included!!) completely forget that he beat the crap out of Moicano and Edgar in between those

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone know where I can see something from the moicano finish

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Good to see you again and yeah this fight is super depressing.

CommonShore posted:

Anyone know where I can see something from the moicano finish

So enjoy this instead!

https://twitter.com/Conexion_MMA/status/1404720307156533248

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tkz could always crack and i knew he wasn't the same as he used to be but the speed difference between him and volk was so pronounced i thought my stream was loving up. flashbacks of trying to play quake on dial up.

my favourite fight until rory / lawler 2 was always poirier / tkz, which happened just shy of 11 years ago. i'm sure without nostalgia it wouldn't hit the same but it still holds up as a remarkable bout of mixed martial arts. They tried to kill each other with punches, kicks, wrestling, and jiu jitsu that was so seamlessly integrated, violent, and high-tempo that it was just impossible to look away from.

fun fact, tkz twister'ing garcia, tkz knocking hominick out in 7 seconds, and tkz / dustin happened in a row. no wonder everybody loves him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

i dont think 'refusing to do what you need to do to cut weight' counts as poo poo luck

He had 18 fights cancelled over his career and only I think three or four of them were his fault. Two for weight/illness/whatever and the other two were because his kid got sick. At some points he was almost homeless and having to borrow money off coaches and family etc to cover medical bills because every single time he was due a pay day for like a year the bout fell through.

Sure, he didn't do his job on this occasion but he was at one time a pretty talented contender and I would think without just bad luck after bad luck he probably finds some momentum and you don't get the weight cut issues etc.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

tkz could always crack and i knew he wasn't the same as he used to be but the speed difference between him and volk was so pronounced i thought my stream was loving up. flashbacks of trying to play quake on dial up.

my favourite fight until rory / lawler 2 was always poirier / tkz, which happened just shy of 11 years ago. i'm sure without nostalgia it wouldn't hit the same but it still holds up as a remarkable bout of mixed martial arts. They tried to kill each other with punches, kicks, wrestling, and jiu jitsu that was so seamlessly integrated, violent, and high-tempo that it was just impossible to look away from.

fun fact, tkz twister'ing garcia, tkz knocking hominick out in 7 seconds, and tkz / dustin happened in a row. no wonder everybody loves him.

considering what volk did to holloway 3 months later I feel slightly less bad looking back on the tkz fight. not saying tkz didn't get absolutely destroyed, but so did holloway. volk is really just on a whole nother right now.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BlindSite posted:

He had 18 fights cancelled over his career and only I think three or four of them were his fault. Two for weight/illness/whatever and the other two were because his kid got sick. At some points he was almost homeless and having to borrow money off coaches and family etc to cover medical bills because every single time he was due a pay day for like a year the bout fell through.

Sure, he didn't do his job on this occasion but he was at one time a pretty talented contender and I would think without just bad luck after bad luck he probably finds some momentum and you don't get the weight cut issues etc.

I'm wondering if he got a decent payout from Conor (something like $500,000), and actually having money took his drive away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

Good to see you again and yeah this fight is super depressing.

So enjoy this instead!

https://twitter.com/Conexion_MMA/status/1404720307156533248

Thank you it's in my av