Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Olmec heads wore kangol hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Brawnfire posted:

Olmec heads wore kangol hats

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The great pyramids were originally cubes

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

In the rare instances where the paint was preserved all those Roman statues look fukkin' goofy as hell so that's a win for entropy in my book.

Decorative taste for most of history in most cultures was what modern people would consider guady as hell. People with the money to plaster every inch of their wall with brightly colored paintings of dragons or bible scenes or gold scrollwork or whatever tended to do so. I guess when that kind of look started becoming attainable for the middle class faux-austere went more in vogue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

In the rare instances where the paint was preserved all those Roman statues look fukkin' goofy as hell so that's a win for entropy in my book.

As I understand it, those are best-guess recreations based on and subject to the limits of forensic archaeology. There are surviving Roman paintings (frescoes in particular) that demonstrate a high degree of technical proficiency even among nobody artists, so there's no particular reason to expect that they painted their expensive statues to look like clowns. More likely the paint traces that get picked up represent a base color that probably had shading applied to produce a more reasonable effect.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Decorative taste for most of history in most cultures was what modern people would consider guady as hell. People with the money to plaster every inch of their wall with brightly colored paintings of dragons or bible scenes or gold scrollwork or whatever tended to do so. I guess when that kind of look started becoming attainable for the middle class faux-austere went more in vogue.

Probably similar to how fashion among the European upper classes for hundreds of years was to drape yourself in an absolute poo poo-ton of fabric, until textiles got so cheap that anyone could do it at which point that fashion abruptly stopped.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I can dig it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sucrose posted:

Probably similar to how fashion among the European upper classes for hundreds of years was to drape yourself in an absolute poo poo-ton of fabric, until textiles got so cheap that anyone could do it at which point that fashion abruptly stopped.

See also: 'beautifully manicured lawns which were only possible if you could afford a team of gardeners to constantly maintain it' vs 'the invention of the lawnmower'

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
All I remember about xena at this point is joxer and his famous catchphrase "it's joxxin' time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnMCh2aXitg

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

the holy poopacy posted:

As I understand it, those are best-guess recreations based on and subject to the limits of forensic archaeology. There are surviving Roman paintings (frescoes in particular) that demonstrate a high degree of technical proficiency even among nobody artists, so there's no particular reason to expect that they painted their expensive statues to look like clowns. More likely the paint traces that get picked up represent a base color that probably had shading applied to produce a more reasonable effect.

Yeah we really don't know. The techniques used to recover paint fragments can only pick up the paint that was directly in contact with the marble. If they used anything like modern painting techniques there are tons of things that won't show up using their restoration.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

There's a British historian/re-enactor, Ruth Goodman, who specializes in making and wearing authentic copies of early modern clothing, and as a result, has some very interesting insights into to how practical and functional things that seem very restrictive to us really were.
She also spent months at a time following the Tudor-period hygiene rules - no bathing, instead using linen cloths to scrub the body, plus changing all linen underclothes every day. Part of this time was when she was also doing heavy farm-work all day, so it's not like she wasn't getting grubby.

from a slate article of her book "How to be a Tudor"

quote:

“I have twice followed this regime,” Goodman reports. “The first time was for a period of just over three months, while living in modern society. No one noticed!” The second period was during the filming of Tudor Monastery Farm, when she “engaged in heavy labor and also lurking around an open fire.” This extra exertion produced a “slight smell, but it was mostly masked by the much stronger smell of woodsmoke.” The film crew, she maintains, found her aroma “acceptable.” In both cases, she observed, not only did her skin remain in “good condition” but it actually seemed to improve. As a sort of control, a colleague of Goodman’s experimented with showering every day while wearing the same clothes, unwashed, for several months, and “the smell was overpowering.” Therefore, Goodman concludes, “the 16th-century belief in the cleansing power of linen turns out in practice to have some truth to it.”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pookah posted:

There's a British historian/re-enactor, Ruth Goodman, who specializes in making and wearing authentic copies of early modern clothing, and as a result, has some very interesting insights into to how practical and functional things that seem very restrictive to us really were.
She also spent months at a time following the Tudor-period hygiene rules - no bathing, instead using linen cloths to scrub the body, plus changing all linen underclothes every day. Part of this time was when she was also doing heavy farm-work all day, so it's not like she wasn't getting grubby.

We have that kind of tradition in England if a shower breaks and we need to quickly clean ourselves - we call it a flannel bath (as that's what we call a wash cloth). Run some water, put soap on the flannel and wipe everything down like your polishing furniture.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pookah posted:

She was a guest on I Don't Know About That and I remember the idea is that a vigorous, full body scrubbing will remove what produces the smell (dead skin, secretions, etc); and it also counts as a scrub, so your skin is surprisingly soft afterwards. It is apparently a lot of work though and you won't smell nice unless you apply some kind of lotion/ointment - you simply won't smell bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can highly recommend watching Tudor Monastery Farm and the related similar shows. Ruth is great at conveying historical information and delightfully enthusiastic.

They're all on YouTube on the Absolute History channel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Precambrian posted:

I think this is also misread a lot—in the 13th Century, being able to dedicate the considerable daily time to hair care was a sign of leisure, and a private bath, unlike the washbasins and public baths that poor folks used, demands a lot of hauling water and firewood for only a single person's benefit. It's a lot of work before plumbing! And to do it weekly is even more time-consuming. As a result, they're both signifiers of being wealthy and having enough thralls that they could be assigned to non-productive tasks like drawing a bath. So it's less "Medieval Englishmen were smelly and gross!" and more "Our colonizers are wealthy and powerful, and can leverage that to further humiliate and belittle us." It's something the British would later turn around and aggressively use themselves, using wealth and power to create a narrative of hygiene to show moral (and racial) superiority over their colonized subjects.

Bathing weekly and taking care of your hair wasn't really a signifier of wealth, it was just a part of the norse culture. Weekly bath was so common that saturday in Scandinavia was called laugardagr which meant "bath day". And the most common archaeological finds from the viking era is combs.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

We have that kind of tradition in England if a shower breaks and we need to quickly clean ourselves - we call it a flannel bath (as that's what we call a wash cloth). Run some water, put soap on the flannel and wipe everything down like your polishing furniture.

I’ve always heard that referred to as a whore’s bath

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Moon Monster posted:

Isn't this attributable to the scarcity of pigments in general, as well as an extremely limited palette of colours? For example, there used to be only one purple, and it came from some mollusc in the Mediterranean, I heard somewhere.

On the linens thing, my wife is a history of fashion nerd, and absolutely will not shut up about women wearing corsets next to their skin in films and tv shows. Everyone wore cheap plain relatively shapeless stays or undershirts that they could wash roughly, because outer garments were never washed, especially anything with colour or detail.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Torquemada posted:

Isn't this attributable to the scarcity of pigments in general, as well as an extremely limited palette of colours? For example, there used to be only one purple, and it came from some mollusc in the Mediterranean, I heard somewhere.

Dyes were somewhat limited in palette, and the better ones genuinely were quite expensive - one of the justifications for sumptuary law was that people were literally bankrupting themselves to get the fancier colors.

The bigger issue was durability. A lot of the Good Dyes didn't necessarily get a different or better color than cheaper alternatives, but provided a lot longer-lasting color. It took a long time to figure out fixative agents for that, and color bleed was a real problem not just for clothing, but for paints as well.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

I watched an amazing doc on YouTube the other day about Herculaneum, towards the end they talk about this Head of an Amazon Woman, it's survived with paint intact and is quite beautiful-

Tantalisingly, so much of Herculaneum still lies entombed under 30 foot of ash, from the same eruption that took down Pompeii. I wonder how many intact statues remain buried down there..... here's the video if anyone wants to watch, it really got under my skin for a while.

https://youtu.be/nvFlEJpuTfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvFlEJpuTfo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that's a better version than the recreations with shading and everything. I'd be interested in seeing any other statues they dig up from that site.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

As one of the few people that spends roughly equal time on TVTropes and SA, it's more accurate to characterise Tropers these days as Goons not allowed to be as openly antagonistic, so they channel all that rage into be Wikipedian-style rules lawyers about the minute distinction between tropes.

Some TVTropes lore I always found amusing: besides the purging of Tropers Tales they also renamed the infamous 'Nakama' trope that goddamn weebs would back then not shut the hell up about being a Super Special Japanese Word puny-minded Westerners could not comprehend the greatness, which proved hilarious when this franchise was blowing up around that time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQuc7wfO16Q

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pachylad posted:

As one of the few people that spends roughly equal time on TVTropes and SA, it's more accurate to characterise Tropers these days as Goons not allowed to be as openly antagonistic, so they channel all that rage into be Wikipedian-style rules lawyers about the minute distinction between tropes.

Terrifyingly accurate. Also like goons (and there's probably more overlap than either would admit) I think the overall userbase went through a period of growing up, not limited to the ones who actually became adults when they weren't before.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

One important thing they did that I think 'helped' them be closer to SomethingAwful in terms of general culture: the mods there also banned discussion of Gamergate around 2014-2016.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Torquemada posted:

Yeah Tyrian purple was rare and expensive (which is why purple got linked to wealth and power) and it wasn't until someone trying to synthesise a malaria drug accidentally invented mauve that purple became common.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love things like that.

"I shall save millions of lives!"

*You have created: a pretty purple pigment! :kimchi:*

"That's... That's cool, too (I guess)"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Torquemada posted:

On the linens thing, my wife is a history of fashion nerd, and absolutely will not shut up about women wearing corsets next to their skin in films and tv shows. Everyone wore cheap plain relatively shapeless stays or undershirts that they could wash roughly, because outer garments were never washed, especially anything with colour or detail.

Nothing sends me into a nerd rage like women in historical movies wearing corsets against their bare skin. Yes, I get that you think it's ~sexy~, movie people, but it's no wonder actresses are always complaining about how uncomfortable corsetry is because you make them wear it wrong!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There were more temporary ways to create purple dyes. There are scrolls from Rome talking about a growing concern of counterfeit purples being used by the lower classes. It couldn't be used in high society because true Tyrian Purple had a telltale smell. Part of the procedure was soaking the clothing in urine for two weeks.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Nothing sends me into a nerd rage like women in historical movies wearing corsets against their bare skin. Yes, I get that you think it's ~sexy~, movie people, but it's no wonder actresses are always complaining about how uncomfortable corsetry is because you make them wear it wrong!

Is there supposed to be an undershirt or something beneath the corset?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There were more temporary ways to create purple dyes. There are scrolls from Rome talking about a growing concern of counterfeit purples being used by the lower classes. It couldn't be used in high society because true Tyrian Purple had a telltale smell. Part of the procedure was soaking the clothing in urine for two weeks.

Yeah, the major difficulty of dyeing was not sourcing pigments, it was finding ones that were colorfast. That's part of why bright bold colors were an important class marker; any rear end in a top hat could go out and stain his tunic purple and have a purple tunic, but sun and water would quickly turn it into a muddy faded mess unless he had The Good Stuff.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Leave posted:

Yes, you're supposed to wear underclothes like a chemise before putting a corset on, to protect your skin and the corset. Underclothes would absorb your sweat and provide a protective layer between your dirtying skin and the expensive (and possibly ultra tight) corset.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leave posted:

yeah, both men and women wore knee-length linen undershirts called shifts for centuries of western history. the only layer directly touching your skin should be something you can actually launder, and the fabric of the shift also helps the corset or stays lie more comfortably (see also: socks keep the linings of your shoes cleaner/less smelly and make your feet more comfortable)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not a fan of shiftless characters either, myself

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Leave posted:

Yep, as others have said, you wore a shift or chemise as your skin-layer garment, and it was basically just a tube of fabric that was easily washed. But at least in Western fashion up until the early 20th century, you had at least three layers between your skin and the clothes other people could see.

(I used to do a lot of historical recreation, so I can go on AT LENGTH about historical underwear)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tudor woman: BTW. I'm not wearing any underwear :wink:

Tudor man: Ewww. why not? I hope you aren't planning on wearing that dress again...

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

The Moon Monster posted:

Minimalism and understated colors only became a signifier of “high culture” taste well after the invention of cheap chemical dyes and mass consumer goods that allowed working class people to consume complexly designed and bright colored items, that’s the late 19th Century.

The Bauhaus and modernist design drops basically in the next generation, 20-30 years later.

By the 1940’s, Victorian and Edwardian era design was seen as for the very old and poors and weirdos only, that’s why “haunted houses” in mass media looked like that. The Addams Family is supposed to be super old fashioned and tacky.

Victorian only returns to fashion after the NEXT time for streamlined mass produced new technology design, so the 1970’s is a revolt against the 50’s-60’s “plastic everything with colors everywhere” era.

There’s a reason why refrigerators in 1976 are “avocado” color and refrigerators in 2006 are stainless steel or GTFO.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I saw a youtube video once about how incredibly accurate the costuming is in Muppet Christmas Carol. Right down to the Cratchits' clothing being about ten years out of date.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HopperUK posted:

I saw a youtube video once about how incredibly accurate the costuming is in Muppet Christmas Carol. Right down to the Cratchits' clothing being about ten years out of date.

Media that aged incredibly well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Reminds me of Gotham where it was deliberately a melting pot of 20th century stuff, so some fashions or vehicles from early 1900s and tech from the 1990s, but then Cobblepot who was supposed to be pathetic and out of date wears his grandfather's clothes so has closer to 1800s fashion to deliberately stand out as out of date, even in that setting. At least that's as far as I understood it being a layman.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

If you can dig it up, I'd love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FouRPlaY posted:

If you can dig it up, I'd love to see it

I think it's this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_mL1X4UMI

I go through phases of watching Abby Cox and Bernadette Banner and Morgan-- whatsername who all do historical costume stuff.