Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ColdPie posted:

I feel like Microsoft is going to own the announcement because it's coming to Game Pass at launch, but dunno.

While I think that exclusivity deals are bullshit as a concept, it's this and I'm glad it was Xbox.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It isn't exclusive, it got announced for other platforms.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, the likely biggest reason for the delay (aside from them being a three-man team and not needing to kill themselves crunching this time) is that it's launching on everything simultaneously

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It isn't exclusive, it got announced for other platforms.

I'm obviously talking specifically about the announcement rights, but I mentioned Xbox so, uh, of course that happened.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's not gonna be mentioned in the Nintendo showcase.

but it will come out tomorrow

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

even if silksong never happens I think I'm suddenly satisfied

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
milksong

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

*sigh*

bapanada

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Blasphemous 2!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blasphenada

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I know that Silksong won't be in these but watch them anyway. If it'll show up at all it'll be in a Microsoft press conference, I know this, and yet I allow myself the folly of hope.

In short, bapanada.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

blasphenada

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

here's to many more years of it not coming out

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bapa?

Nada.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This is the best thing ever. It is better than silksong.

please post more of this things.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I played Dust: An Elysian Tail about 10 years ago on the 360. I barely remember it other than I think it was a metroidvania. I looked at my Series X and apparently it is not available. But it is on the switch and the PS. I find that odd because I remember it coming out on the 360 first and now Xbox doesn't even have it. Anyway, is it good?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's pretty decent. One of the great flag bearers for Xbox Live Arcade back in the day. Definitely more vania than metroid but it's got the goods. Beautifully animated for a one man show. Writing is basic but earnest. Tone might be hit or miss. Combat is fun as poo poo and there are a good range of approaches.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Monster Boy is a similar metroidvania and I will always recommend it because no one has played it and it fuckin rips

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I tried Ori and the Blind Forest, and it struck a lot of the same notes that Hollow Knight does. Ori is gorgeous like HK, but I feel like exploration abilities unlock too quickly to give you a real progress feeling like HK does. I also feel like the controls were a bit more floaty, and not as precise as HK.

So much like how :darksouls: became the standard against which I hold up action rpgs, HK is now my high water mark for side scrollers.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Ori is interesting because it's not very combat focused, the combat is pretty simple and untechnical. Most of the abilities in the game are traversal abilities, and that's where most of the challenge and technical execution is too. Which is fitting since you're a small, frail woodland creature, the game really emphasizes being nimble and agile

So yeah it definitely feels more m-vania than Hollow Knight, where most of the progress is behind skill check bossfights, rather than ability unlocks

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I played Dust: An Elysian Tail about 10 years ago on the 360. I barely remember it other than I think it was a metroidvania. I looked at my Series X and apparently it is not available. But it is on the switch and the PS. I find that odd because I remember it coming out on the 360 first and now Xbox doesn't even have it. Anyway, is it good?

It's Very Anime. If you're okay with that, it's pretty fun!

Hakkesshu posted:

Monster Boy is a similar metroidvania and I will always recommend it because no one has played it and it fuckin rips

One of the things that annoy me about the Monster Boy Collections is that they never include Dragon's Curse, the Turbografx-16/PC-Engine version of The Dragon's Trap. Something about the sound chip on that machine just doesn't hold up for me, but I realize that's probably a symptom of me having played the TG-16 version first.

Monster Boy is really good!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Hakkesshu posted:

I played one of these, couldn't be bothered to look up which one and quit pretty early one. It starts off pretty decent, then it turns you into a pig and makes your attacks drastically worse (but hey you can butt stomp on big buttons now!!), then it turns you into a snake and does the same thing. Metroidvanias are supposed to make you stronger as the game goes on and this did the opposite. Such a chore to play.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
played Ender Lillies and it felt very very similar to hollow knight in tone, but like, a little worse along every axis. Which doesn't sound like an endorsement but when you're up against the goat that still means it's pretty good

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Guacamelee did that and it works both as a joke and as a power.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I tried Ori and the Blind Forest, and it struck a lot of the same notes that Hollow Knight does. Ori is gorgeous like HK, but I feel like exploration abilities unlock too quickly to give you a real progress feeling like HK does. I also feel like the controls were a bit more floaty, and not as precise as HK.

So much like how :darksouls: became the standard against which I hold up action rpgs, HK is now my high water mark for side scrollers.

I actually just started playing Ori and the Blind Forest tonight and after three hours I've been enjoying it a lot. I like how the movement is very quick right off the bat, although it took me a bit to stop overshooting my mark constantly. I would say the level/world design so far doesn't seem as deep or elaborate as HK though, and I wonder how exploratory the game is in that sense, as that was one of things I most loved about HK, just the sheer depth of the rabbit hole and how easy it was to get lost (I imagine getting lost was probably a design goal actually - e.g. falling into Deepnest). Ori seems far more compliant thus far in that respect, which isn't bad of course, just different. But it feels good to play. I agree the upgrades are coming very quickly, though.

HK is definitely my standard for this genre which is perhaps slightly unfortunate because nothing has come close.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 21, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Both Ori games are pretty good imo, but neither holds a candle to HK. Controls are a bit floaty, environments are very pretty but often a little too visually unclear a lot of the time. OatBF's combat is very basic and it's more traversal-focused, which is kinda cool and unique; OatWotW is more balanced. When you get used to it, the movement is really fun - the "launch off of an enemy/projectile" ability is super cool. They're great one-time experiences, but neither one has the scope and depth of HK.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

If you're reading this thread then you've probably already played it, but Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight remains my top rec if you've mined out HK and need another fix.

Dust is surprisingly good for a game where the MC is the dev's fursona self-insert. It and the Ori games are further on the platforming/combat end of the metroidvania spectrum, but are pretty good at what they do.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Ceyton posted:

If you're reading this thread then you've probably already played it, but Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight remains my top rec if you've mined out HK and need another fix.

The Momodora games are so good. Even the janky pixely ones they made earlier are fun to rock through.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Books On Tape posted:

I played one of these, couldn't be bothered to look up which one and quit pretty early one. It starts off pretty decent, then it turns you into a pig and makes your attacks drastically worse (but hey you can butt stomp on big buttons now!!), then it turns you into a snake and does the same thing. Metroidvanias are supposed to make you stronger as the game goes on and this did the opposite. Such a chore to play.

You're meant to change beast forms as appropriate for the situation. The traversal forms aren't meant for combat. The combat forms are meant for combat. The really good combat forms come later on in those games.

Initially you can't freely change forms, IIRC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved the Ori games, super charming and a lot of fun to play.... but yeah, they're not as good as Hollow Knight. That's not an indictment on them, Hollow Knight is really loving great!

So in my opinion.... I think they should release Silksong!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

if we're in the general phase of "metroidvanias that are cool while we wait for silksong," I'll recommend Environment Station Alpha. It's by Hempuli, aka the goon who also created Baba Is You. It has a very cool sense of exploration, and while its endgame puzzles go pretty far in the wacky direction it was a great example of a game where I was constantly surprised and thrilled by how the upgrades changed the way I moved through its world and stuff. Also it is only $8 on steam

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Martman posted:

if we're in the general phase of "metroidvanias that are cool while we wait for silksong,"

Tunic. Isometric action not side-scroller, but strong HK energy. Similar mix of cutesy cartoon and apocalyptically bleak

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

No

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I so badly wish tunic had combat I liked because I love everything else about it

you can basically turn it off but this is one of those cases where being able to turn the combat off is a bad sign

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tunic is a Zelda-like with terrible Dark Soulish combat where the big gimmick is you don't learn how to play because the manual is the goal of the game. You get pages slowly doled out to you as you go that explain how you could have done something 3 hours ago if only you knew that pushing this button makes thing happen.

It's a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I tried Tunic twice, but I don't play games a whole lot, so both times I took like a two week break and then come back and had zero idea where to go and it wasn't fun enough to just wander around.